InterContinental Cairo Citystars

Omar Ibn El Khattab Street Heliopolis, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Superb !

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights with my husband.
The hotel is well maintained and looks great.
The staff are friendly, professional, helpful & efficient.

What I liked most is the staff anticipate a customers needs, As in my case I was wandering around the foyer trying to find the entrance to the mall next door when I was approached and asked if I needed help rather than me needing to approach a staff member for help as is often the case at other hotels.

Our suite was lovely and when we got to the room a fruit basket & pastries were waiting for us which was a nice touch, The bathroom amenities were of high quality and the bed was super comfy. The T.V channel selection is quite large with numerous English and foreign language channels to cater to everyone and we could also surf the internet from the T.V with a virtual keyboard !

I didn’t eat at any of the restaurants so can not comment on them.

At the end of our stay we were extremely impressed with all aspects of the Hotel i.e rooms, staff, check in procedures, security, location etc. we could not find fault with anything.

This Hotel is what all other Intercontinental Hotels should aspire to be like."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of March 2008

Nice hotel to much stalking

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"The Hotel is the nicest you will find in Cairo, there is bomb check before entering the property, It was a little scary. The staff is overly helpful to the point that they stalk your every move and follow you like they get points for every guest contact. The attached mall was like being in the Mall of America which was great for me."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of March 2008

Fantastic hotel!

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"This lavish, modern hotel is first-class all around: magnificent rooms, great restaurants, excellent service. It's one of the finest hotels we've stayed in anywhere in the world. The only downsides are that it is so enormous, it tends to be a bit impersonal, and that it is not very close either to the pyramids at Giza or to the downtown attractions (Cairo Museum, Citadel). But it is quite convenient to the airport, and it is attached to a premier shopping mall, with all the high-fashion shops."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of November 2007

Great experience

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"I've just come back from a week at this hotel.

In general it was great but a somewhat different experience to staying at more Western hotels.

I found the staff excellent. We had no problem getting served at check-in/out and all of the staff were very helpful and friendly. As there are so many staff employed you get very personal service, especially at breakfast if you're on your own!

Breakfast is very expensive but you get an amazing choice and everything is freshly prepared while you wait so make the most of your money. Breakfast was temporarily moved outside next to the pool bar so I can't comment on the usual layout, but seemed like a better solution to me during the summer months.

I didn't eat dinner at the hotel and generally ate at the shopping mall at the rear of the hotel which is a must-see and is buzzing late into the night. Lots of younger folks hang out there too.

A few minor complaints. Some of the rooms are starting to show signs of wear. I had a tear in my bed sheets and I noticed the lamp shade had holes and tears in it. Everything worked though and my room was spacious, comfortable, cool, quiet - overlooking the rear of the hotel on the 6th floor.

Internet access was wired (Ethernet cable supplied) and you need to pay for hourly usage at a fairly high rate. Unfortunately this was broken whilst I was there so I couldn't rate it.

TV signal was really poor in my room. One day the cleaners even knocked the RF lead completely out of the TV. They need a modern IPTV solution installed.

My colleague was charged for several minibar items he didn't use, but these were removed without fuss - so check your bill carefully at checkout.

I was on business so the location close to the airport (15 mins) and shopping mall was ideal. It's about 20 mins to the city museum and about 1 hour by car to the pyramids. There's also plenty of local taxis outside the hotel, but agree a price before you get in! I ended up being hideously over-charged for one journey.

Limo service to/from the airport is great. Be prepared for the style of driving in Egypt though and fasten your seatbelt."

• Travel date: Sat 1st of September 2007

Good business hotel

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I stayed at the Intercontinental Citystars for six days while attending a conference being held at the hotel. Compared with some places I've stayed on business, it was great!

The room and bathroom were spacious and clean, and I liked the table and chairs and armchair provided that made it a very comfortable place to work and relax. Internet connection was good, though fairly expensive, and the TV had a number of english-language stations.

Communal areas of the hotel were very nicely presented and very kitsch! The outdoor pool area is great and I heard from colleagues that the pyramid-shaped gym was very good (unfortunately I didn't have time to swim or workout). Food (in the restaurants and through room-service) was good, and there was a lot of variety, though breakfast was expensive. Unfortunately several conference delegates became unwell (food poisoning) during their stay at the hotel - though obviously it may not have been caught at the hotel itself. I was fine, having avoided raw vegetables and sushi, and having brushed my teeth with bottled water...

The location of the hotel was just fine for business travellers: very close to the airport (10 minutes drive), and right next door (in fact attached to) an extremely large shopping mall (including cinema, many shops, and a supermarket) that a Cairene friend of mine had raved about! It's not very convenient for 'old Cairo', but I'm sure it's possible, and the hotel does organise very good value half- or full-day trips to the pyramids (which I did), Coptic Cairo, the souk, etc."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of April 2007

Looks nice but service is very poor

Reviewed Mon 22nd of October 2012

"I stayed here in March for a workshop for about 6 days. It is a nice looking hotel, but although it has friendly staff - I found the hotel poorly managed and staff ill trained. Below some examples of what I encountered just after 4 days.

- At check in, waited 10 minutes while staff was just standing/walking around and they could have seen me and some colleagues waiting for check in
- Asked for quiet room at check in. Got room at street side. Poorly isolated outside windows/doors, so very noisy. I understand they are improving this, but.....
- Almost the whole stay I heard at certain moments in the afternoon/evening drilling and hammering in hotel. Despite asking several times when/if this could stop, and despite that I was assured every time this would stop in 10 minutes, it continued most of week. I believe this may have to do with fixing the poorly isolated windows
- Rooms are very dark, too weak lights.
- Staff seem to be know nothing about internet connections. I asked several staff for wireless internet, which they answered with “yes we have wireless, we will bring a cable(??)”. Then, at business center, when asked if I could indeed have a cable, they called IT and IT said to business center that I can not have internet connection in my room and needed to use business center. Then I decided to try and called ‘Instant’ service from my room to get internet in my room. Fortunately that appeared possible and they said they would bring the cable immediately. After 10 minutes waiting I called again, and they said it would take 10 more minutes. I call again after 10 minutes they said it takes 5 more minutes, so in the end I got the cable after 30 minutes waiting. One colleague told she waited 1.5 hour! And all they do is bring a long cable and plug it into a socket behind the TV cabinet!!! It turned out they had wireless internet, but none of the staff could tell me this nor is it anywhere to be found in the manuals. And when I tried to connect in the room it could not find a wireless server..
- Collague told me that she had a "do not disturb" sign on her door in the evening, but staff still nocked on her door asking if they should clean the room. Funny enough I did not even had a no disturb sign available in room and I searched everywhery. So I had in one evening a staff member knocking 4 times on my door asking if he could clean my room.
- Safety: we hired a chauffeur to drive us to the city center, but the driver not use any seatbelts at start. When I requested him he replied he does not want/need to use them. Then we insisted (angrily) and finally he did put them on. Unfortunately he drove very unsafe: no distance to cars in front and flickering is headlights all the time. I know about driving in Egypt, but I find it totally unacceptable that hotel drivers behave like this and there is clearly no safe driving training/structure in place. In my view if something happens this hotel should be sued for negligence by those involved in a potential accident. I found drivers of other Cairo hotels much better trained.
- Safety: Fire drill procedures were not present in the hotel map in my room. The tabs about safety were initially empty. They did replace after asking.
- Found a hair in salad during lunch
- During lunch a staff member scraping food of the lunch area marble with a spoon that is used for scooping up food but then he put the (dirty) spoon back for guests to use. When asked if he could replace, reacted very unfriendly.

There we no doubt also positive sides about this hotel and the staff, but - for me - the above has dwarfed those by far. In short, not a hotel I will probably visiting again. I stayed before at Marriott in Cairo and found this dozen times better then this Intercontinental.

Interesting I also informed the management about above (and more that went wrong but I did not write down) and they met me at the end of the stay to discuss these issues. Although this was too late to change my impression, I hope for you ('the reader') that they have improved on these issues when (or should I say if) you visit them.

Although I hoped that my impression of Intercontinental would improve with other visits, I stayed the next days at the Intercontinental in Muscat and found they booked me in a smoking room - despite my profile clearly stating non-smoking, So I had to wait in the middle of the night in the lobby until they cleaned a non-smoking room..... Perhaps intercontinental should run a 'Checking-in Guests 101' for their staff?"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of March 2007

More attention to detail please

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"I stayed in this place for a conference in mid-February 2007. It's generally a pleasant place to be. Yes, it's out of town but it's near the airport and therefore escapes the worst of the downtown smog and gridlock.

The facilities were satisfactory. However, they haven't got the service balance right. Either they're too attentive, whisking your plate away the minute you've necked the last bit of food (before going back to the buffet for more) or they show indifference to your issues. My bathroom had a leak all through my time there. I asked for it to be fixed but it was not. No-one bothered to follow up.

The food is fine. There's a good selection of options. The health club is also pretty well kitted out, although they could move the pool table out of the gym and into a bar. The hotel is also next to a mall with the kinds of shops you'd see in any western shopping centre. Rooms are well upholstered and comfortable.

I'd go again, but I did take issue with the variable level of service."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of February 2007

Never

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"People make a difference ... What it counts is Treatment and service.
Rooms, Location, pools, all great...
However, with bad service, unpleasant reception, Ignorant Staff, AC not working, I do not need to repeat this experience again...
Service quality depend on guest color, gender and race....."

• Travel date: Sun 4th of February 2007

Noisy hotel, poorly located for tourists

Reviewed Tue 25th of December 2012

"This is a beautiful hotel. The rooms were good sized, well appointed, and the showers had lots of hot water. Internet connections were good and fast.

We found the staff poorly trained. the front desk staff took a long time for check in and out. We stayed at the hotel twice, it was bad everytime. We had requested our 3 rooms be near each other, we were on 3 separate floors. We requested non-smoking rooms - one of my children had a smoking room. The front desk was unable or unwilling to change it. My daughter had a room overlooking a nightclub at the mall next door. The noise was so loud she could not sleep until the club closed. All the toiletries and soaps had been opened in one of our rooms when we checked in.

We found the concierge simply rude. He usually refused to help us at all, and motioned for us to go to another person. We asked him to make reservations for dinner at the hotel - first time the restaurant had no record of a reservation, second time the restaurant was not serving food yet at the time of our reservation.

Next door to the hotel is a mall that other reviewers mentioned, in the mall is a large multiscreen movie theater. On Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights seeminly every young adult in Cairo comes to this movie theater. The street noise, sirens and crowds are unbelievable. Also, because it is Cairo, cars are parked everywhere, making it very difficult to come and go from the hotel.

The hotel is in a terrible location for tourists, such as us. All tourist sights are far away. We stayed because we had early morning flights to catch."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of January 2007

Hotels near InterContinental Cairo Citystars

Stayed at InterContinental Cairo Citystars? Share your insight.

InterContinental Cairo Citystars is also called