Hotel Luna

27 Talaat Harb St, 5th Floor Downtown, Cairo 99999 Egypt

Pretty good!

Good

"Hotel Luna was pretty good. Excellent price, really, it was about $20 U.S./night! We had a room facing the street, which was loud, but we were told it would be in advance and brought earplugs.

The staff was very friendly, and Sam is their travel guide, and is able to book sightseeing tours for all over Cairo and Egypt at the hotel, which was a huge relief. He also didn't rip us off, as I have heard happens to many people in Egypt. I wonder when the rip-off artists will realize that it actually may hurt tourism and affect their economy? Based on the constant harassment from locals, we would never go back!

I can't say that staying in downtown Cairo is all that great, with all the people and cars and pollution, but we knew what we were getting into in advance, and wanted to truly experience Cairo rather than stay at a glamourous hotel.

This hotel is in a good location, especially close to the Egyptian museum, and the staff really is helpful and looks out for its clients. It is clean, and breakfast is decent. They also don't charge you a lot for bottled water and you don't have to bargain for the prices, as you will have to everywhere else!"

• Travel date: Sun 29th of June 2008

overrated

"i have been traveling for three months and i haven't been treated so bad as in Luna Hotel. I recently stayed there in may 2008. I had several problems. One night my room got infested with mosquitoes. the staff didn't help me at all. they even blamed me because i left the window open, which i didn't. Also, the hotel overbooked so i had look for new hotel. thankfully i found a great hotel by chance which made me realize how overrated hotel luna really is. I stayed in a Hotel Isis. it is on ramses street on the 15th floor of the maaruf tower. I payed less than Luna oasis, had better treatment, better breakfast, cheaper prices for tours, and an amazing view of the city. The staff at the hotel really made you feel at home."

• Travel date: Mon 26th of May 2008

Good Location

Good

"My wife and I stayed at Hotel Luna in April. We stayed at their newer back room section (I think its called Luna Oasis). I was glad we picked this since it was quite loud outside even at 12am. Our room was very quiet, a good running A/C and was cleaned everyday. We paid 150 Egyptian Pounds (which was about $30 USD) and I thought it was very reasonable and good value for the price. The location is great ....walking distance to the Museum, a short taxi ride ($2 or less) to Khan El Khalili. The hotel charges 60 Egyptian Pounds for a ride from the Airport. This is about 10 - 20 EP too high, but it was nice to land and not have to deal with negotiating with taxi drivers or the having to deal with the hotel touts. We did do one tour through the hotel, and even though we paid more than if we would have arranged it ourself...the cost wasn't bad. They do push their tours but I kept telling them I'll let them know tomorrow. The included breakfast consisted of a couple of bread rolls and jams. And a cup of tea.

I have a video of our room at the url below:

• Travel date: Fri 23rd of May 2008

horrible manager

"I have never meen so mistreated in a hotel like in this one. This all started when i decided not to take the expensive tour trip that i was offered to luxor or asun by the manager.( I found out in the hilton that trips were cheaper than what he was offering.)
Since that point i had many problems with my room and how they treated me."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of May 2008

My first US$27/night hotel...

"Because all of the hotels in Cairo seem to cost either US$50 or $200 per night I decided to experiment with a low cost option for the first two nights of our trip. I was visiting my daughter who is studying at AUC and wanted to stay near Garden City. This place looked good on paper.

I had never stayed at a hostel before, but understood the place was not going to be a Marriott Courtyard. I also kept a very open mind based on the price point of the rooms. I reserved the nicer "Oasis room" which are supposed to be quieter (it was).

Overall it wasn't that bad for the price. I had a large room with a comfortable, clean bed. The bathrooms were small and the showers were not designed for larger people (see photos).

If I was a college student or twenty-something on a budget I would recommend this place. I saw a French family staying there with their two children. I would NOT take my wife who has some very high expectations of a hotel. She is not their target market!!

The owner is a decent guy who speaks good English."

• Travel date: Sat 19th of April 2008

Excellent, right in the heart of Cairo

"Friends and I stayed at Hotel Luna in August 2007. Service was great (airport pickup for a little extra $), good breakfasts, and very helpful in arranging any tours/sightseeing we wanted. The rooms were good, nothing fancy, but good for sleeping.

Highly recommended for the price, too!"

• Travel date: Wed 6th of February 2008

Nice choice for a budget hotel

"I stayed on Luna Hostel on January 2008. The property is very well located in the middle of downtown Cairo, near (in a walking distance) to the Egyptian Museum, Ramses II Station and Khan El Khalili. The Luna Hostel actually stays in 4th floor of an old building which the entrance in throught a dark alley between 2 shops, which is a little bit spooky at night. The rooms are very large, clean and its utilities were all working despite the place looked like it could use a little reform. The ordinary rooms (near to the reception desk) are REALLY noise and it is almost impossible to sleep before 1 a.m. because of the honks and the crowd yelling and walking on the street above (the shops in Egypt work until midninght or 1 a.m.), so I recommend to ask for rooms on the back of the building, much more quiet. The breakfast, composed by 2 rolls, tea or coffee, jam and butter, is not exactly a banquet, but it suits the expectations on a budget hotel. The staff is helpful, however I do not recommend you to hire any trips or transportation with them, unless you want to pay VERY over the odds. You can certainly find much nicer and cheaper anything doing a little research on the nearby travel agencies."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of February 2008

A very good hotel; only luke warm showers!

Good

"Overall a very good hotel for its price and the best budget hotel I stayed at in Egypt

Rooms are very clean, bed was comfortable and air con worked... and that's all you can really ask for in a Budget hotel.

The place had excellent internet access, very helpful staff, and a nice communal area.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of the hotel was that unlike many Egyptians, they did not attempt to con you out of money. I asked how much a ticket to Sharma El Sheik was and they told me what ever the official price plus £25 Egyptian.

This bit of honesty may seem normal in western countries but not in Egypt. In contrast another hotel in Luxor in the same situation tried to charge us 2x the official price and told us that the tickets were all sold out and it was the only way to get the tickets.

My only gripe was that in August they did not turn on the heating for the water and instead let the sun warm the water. Accordingly the showers were only luke warm during the day and at night it can be described as cold!"

• Travel date: Sat 15th of September 2007

Unbelievable VALUE!

"I had never stayed in a budget property before. After the initial shock of the entrance via the alley between shops, I was pleasantly surprised at the value of Luna. Everything in the previous posting is correct. It is a homey, fun, gracious place to rest. Rooms are adequate, most with private bath. I paid $18.00 USD for a room with bath and the exotic Egyptian breakfast. Shisha is available - as are beverages - 24 hours a day. Desk staff were more than kind. Waled/"Tito" even purchased my train ticket to Alexandria for the following day... and then escorted me to my train and seat. After experiencing Ramses Station, I now know that it would have been a horrific and time consuming process to catch that train without his hospitality. Another great plus is that the Odeon Palace Hotel is a block away. The Odeon Palace has a 24 hour rooftop restaurant/bar for anyone looking for somewhere to spend your nights close to the Luna. Luna is a budget option with a great staff, clean accommodations, private baths, and is in the center of downtown Cairo. For the insanely inexpensive price, you cannot go wrong. Highly Recommended for what it is."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of December 2006

Hotels near Hotel Luna

Stayed at Hotel Luna? Share your insight.

Hotel Luna is also called