Cosmopolitan Hotel

1 Talat Harb Downtown, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Filthy!

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"We booked the Cosmopolitan for a little bit of 20s glamour for our last day in Cairo. What a dissapointment. The room was dark, dank and filthy! The carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks - dirt, fluff and human hair! We wonder why Lonely Planet recommended this hotel for it's 'charm'. We asked to see another room which was equally as poor as the first.

When we requested cancellation we were told that this was not possible - first company then national policy !!!? When we offered to pay a cancellation fee they still refused to refund the remainder.

What a let down! Rather than stay in this flea pit we decided to go back to our cheap little hotel a few blocks away - bright, clean and cheerful and more than $30 US cheaper!

Think twice before booking the Cosmopolitan!"

• Travel date: Sun 26th of February 2006

Good Value and Location

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"We enjoyed our stay at the Cosmopolitan, sure its a Old Hotel, Our Room was old and a bit Grubby, But This is Egypt. Its still a lot Better than a lot of old hotels around the DownTown areas. We were not Happy with the room so we Complained the the Manager gave us a better one. He was Nice and Polite and Bent over backwards to help. That what they are like at the Hotel, already to help if you need it. The staff didnt hassle us they were very polite. Breakfast was a bit Cold But Later on I found out that its like that in most Egyptian Hotels, Later on on I found it was also like that in Top Class Hotels in Jordan.
Remember The Cosmopolitan is in a Great position Near the Shops, New the Station, Near the Museumm, Plenty of Buss's, its very central, its not untill you look around Cairo you realise What a great spot its situated at. Step out side and the Taxi's are Handy, Watch out for Mahommad Ahmad Nice air condition Taxi he has, But he is a Pest and a leech. There are Police always handy so you have no worries about Safety. If you walk to the Museum You will never be out of site of a Police man Safety is Important. I think Living amongst the locals is realy seeing cairo.
Turn a Blind Eye yo a Bit of Dirt and Dust, The Food is Clean and the Dineing room spotless, The Staff quick to help you, Exchange rates Better than outside on the street. It was a experiance I will never forget it Was Egypt and wouldnt swap the memories for anything, If the Management reads This I thank them all, They wont remember us But we were the Kerr family from New Zealand. Thank you.."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of January 2006

Great character but filthy!

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"I enjoy staying in places with character and I stayed here for two nights and was quite prepared for a hotel with heaps of character but faded. I was not prepared for how filthy and unpleasant my room was. The room was very small, dark and smelly. There was only one working power point and couldn't plug in the other lamps to make it lighter. I did not get much help when I commented on these issues. There was a trolly kept outside my room with old plates, rubbish etc. One plate of half eaten food was left on it for a day before being removed. This was not removed on my request, so I moved the trolly myself however it reappeared again, by my door.

In reading the other reviews I wonder if there are a range of rooms in this hotel where some guests have a much worse experience than others. My bathroom was so dirty that when it got wet, the floor was brown - I ended up cleaning it myself.

I would never stay here again."

• Travel date: Fri 9th of September 2005

Old, Funky and Filthy! Not impressed.

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"We stayed here at the end of July 2005, mainly because of the hotels location downtown in the heart of the shopping area, close to the nile and the museum. That is about the only thing I can say positive about this hotel. We paid $50USD for a tiny room which had seen better days. The only thing clean in the room was the fresh sheets on the bed! Everything else was covered in dust and looked like it could do with a good wipe down with Mr Clean. The room had no towels and shortly after we checked in the 75 year old bellboy delivered two small and very grey old rags. These were the towels! Well I suppose they were white towels once?

The breakfast was no better. An attempt at a buffet was laid out in the scruffy dining room. Cereal but no bowls or spoons. Eggs but no cutlery.
The waiter offered us some foul tasting excuse for coffee and when my wife turned over her cup she saw it had a huge brown colored chip on the lip and was cracked. In Canada it is illegal to serve using cracked tableware beacuse of the hygeine issue. She asked for another cup without a crack and the waiter did indeed provide one. We were quite amused to watch him examine the cracked cup for about a minute. He even held it up to the light. Then he shrugged his shoulders and put it on a place setting on another table. I am sure he is still wondering what the problem was! Breakfast was the typical hard boiled egg. I cracked one open and it was black inside which left us wondering how many days had the same egg been heated up for breakfast? We made do with the stale buns and jam.
We had to leave the next day at 5am for our flight, and to their credit reception did offer to provide us with breakfast in our room; given this experience we gratefully declined.

The Cosmopolitan is typical of many hotels in Cairo that were probably quite grand hotels when they were built a 100 years ago. Sure it's funky but it's also dirty and dusty with little effort being shown to improve matters. It is sadly in need of a total renovation. It's overpriced and in my opinion not a good deal."

• Travel date: Tue 9th of August 2005

Faded elegance

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"These are the facts: this is an Egyptian hotel that has seen better days, it is neither dirty nor clean, the lift is an antique, the bar is small and dark but inexpensive, the staff are generally friendly, the restaurant is ok to quite good by Egyptian standards, the plumbing works, the faint musty smell is really quite evocative, the location is excellent. Highly recommended in my opinion, I wonder where the detractors have stayed in the world and what are they comparing this hotel with? It's not a bland, sterile Holiday Inn, it is a genuine decent Egyptian hotel. At a similar price to the Windsor, it is much to be preferred."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of July 2005

Perfect for the price

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Stayed here for a night in December. Followed the Lonely Planets recommendation and wasnt disappointed. Centrally located with clean spacious rooms. Staff were friendly and gave us plenty of ideas of where to go and the best way to get to places."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of March 2005

How to tour Egypt with out being a tourist

Reviewed Sun 21st of October 2012

"So it's not the Sheraton or the Movenpick. It's also not $150/night either. The Cosmopolitan is located in a great area near Talaat Harb square. I lived there for 5 weeks while studing at AUC, and I have very little complaints. I did have a couple of times where something would break -- the hotel is old and not perfect -- but this is Egypt, nothing should be taken for granted. When the water went cold or the air con quit, I just asked the front desk and they sent porters up to move me into a new room within minutes -- and no one EVER asked me for baksheeh (tips). I became part of the family, on a first name basis with many of the staff, almost immediately. Everyone was willing to help, especially the dear bellhops and elevator operators, who gave me invaluable advice and directions for my adventures. If you are looking to avoid the manufactured Egypt that the tourism board pushes on most travellers, the Cosmo may be your ideal hotel. You'll be in the thick of Cairo, on a level closer to the wonderful people of the city. Cairo is dirty, dusty, and hot; but it has an irresistable human quality, as if the pavement and concrete itself was alive. The nickname "Mother of the World" is very fitting."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of March 2005

Much better than expected

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"Having read previous reviews of this hotel I was expecting the worst but instead I found my room was large & clean, there was plenty of hot water and the staff were pleasant and helpful. The hotel had character and did not appear shabby. If you are expecting all the advantages of a modern hotel chain then probably this hotel would not be for you. However if you are seeking a bit of individuality without compromising on comfort I would certainly recommend it"

• Travel date: Mon 14th of March 2005

Cosmopolitan : Terrible, Shabby, Dirty

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Very very disappointing and overpriced. For some inexplicable reason this was a Lonely Planet Author's Top Pick for it's 'character'. Everything about this hotel is shabby. The room was OK, but the bathroom was grimy (real soot and dirt all over the ceiling which was falling apart), there was no hot water in the room for the 2 days we were there, and there were chunks of fallen plaster on the bathroom floor which the cleaners somehow never removed.

Other complaints:
The breakfast was absolutely awful, with lukewarm scrambled eggs and cold fried potatoes.
Also the hotel refuses to take credit cards. Cash only. More bizarrely they insisted we pay as we checked in, and when we said we didnt have that many US Dollars on us (they wont take Egyptian), they wanted us to go to an ATM within an hour or two to get it (and my wife and I are 40 year old professionals!). Despite their scowls we paid when we checked out as we did at every other hotel in Egypt. I guess they were afraid we wouldnt stay for the 2 days once we saw the room. They were almost right. Only the central location (the one good point) and the hassle of moving kept us there for 2 days.

At $60/night this place is _way_ overpriced, and just unpleasant. Dont stay there."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of January 2005

Dont stay there

Reviewed Tue 6th of November 2012

"This hotel was approved by explore.

It is not in a quite part of town, it is noisy, scruffy and still belongs in the 1920's. It has not been cleaned since.

The coffee bar is bad to say the least, it is dirty, drink and eat there at your peril.

The rooms are at best poor and that is being kind. They are all dirty and I would never stay there again, even if it was free.

The level of cleanliness of the hotel could not get any lower. The lifts in the hotel are dangerous and should be avoided.

There is nothing attractive about the hotel at all, the porters are both rude and will attempt to ask for a tip for even the simplests of tasks i.e. pressing the lift button. Smile at them and they will demand a fee.

On my last day, a bug crawled across my table. The standard of service is poor and I suspect that it will not improve.

Avoid this hotel at all costs, it would be money simply down the drain.

December 2004"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of December 2004

I have bad experience with "Cosmopolitan...

Reviewed Tue 22nd of January 2008

"I have bad experience with "Cosmopolitan hotel" at Cairo.

- My cash is stolen 800 dollar
- Only one lamp works inside my room
- AC is too old and loud (hard to sleep)
- We pay 60 Dollar per night, but quality is like small Youth Hostel
- I read many Bad comments from Internet about this hotel before I choose it, and most of them are True.

Dont go there.
If you plan to have a good hotel in Cairo. Please, select 4 or 5 star hotel.

Listen to my warning!!!

John

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of January 2008

Not very clean and lacking hot water. We...

Reviewed Tue 19th of December 2006

"Not very clean and lacking hot water. We stayed in two different rooms, one much cleaner than the other, but still both needed a good scrubbing.

Service people bother you for tips, but do seem helpful. I was totally ripped off in the gift shop. Jewelery was sold to be 18K gold, at 18k prices.

Turned out it wasn't real at all, I just say Buyer Beware! If they do this to you in the gift shop imagine how they'll treat you as a guest! Just stay away. Far away. "

• Travel date: Tue 19th of December 2006

Hotels near Cosmopolitan Hotel

Stayed at Cosmopolitan Hotel? Share your insight.

Cosmopolitan Hotel is also called