Concord Hotel

146 Al Tahrir Street, Dokki Giza, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Good

2 star at best!

"The Concorde is a simple hotel with all the basics. We stayed on night and left for another hotel that we had already booked. The concorde offered free breakfast which was okay but basic as well. I'm a coffee person in the morning so it was okay! I would not recommend this hotel for someone who looking for an upscale hotel. The hotel does try to please everyone so if you are looking for a place to lay your head while your out and about then this is place for you. They have a bar and coffeeshop and restaurant in house. I would recommend if you stay to go out of the building and turn right. We ate at the TAZA Shirmawa restaurant for a wonderful cheap Egyptian meal. Also, on the side is a seafood restaurant that doesn't speack english but the food is great and oh so cheap(shrimp and fish)! The place to buy cheap Papayras is Rosetta which is left outside the Hotel. Emad running the place and we bought 10EP papayras and other things cheap as well. Everyone must Haggle in Egypt and if you fail to Haggle then you will get taken! Here prices to pay for things!
Water: 2EP
1Liter Coke:6-8EP
Ice Cream:2-10 EP depends on size
meals: 6-12 Dollars and for that price is eating good!
Beer: 15-25EP for tourist spots if you have a local buy it it should be 1dollar to 1.50 depending on brand.
Internet charges are cheap: 3-5EP per hour! Don't pay anymore~

The best deals are the places where Egyptian eat because the food is good and cheap! Always ask for the menu and prices for buying or drinking anything. A person I met paid 50EP for a glass of mango juice that costs 2EP. He was taken big! Hope this helps everyone!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of May 2007

Spend a little more

"I was not expecting much from this hotel and we got less. This is a very old run down hotel, I would advise if you can afford something better do it, The A/C wasn't working the bathroom had cigerettes in the toilet and the room was small and very noisey from the other rooms. Location was good, Staff was good."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of April 2007

Okay for the price

"For $ 28.00 a night, my wife and I thought that Concorde was an okay hotel mostly because of its central location in Tahrir Square and its proximity to the Cairo Sheraton whose money exchange and restaurant facilities we used frequently on the 5 days we stayed there.

The morning buffet at Concorde was quite nice and adequate. But, they skimp on water at the breakfast and unless you demand it they dont bring you bottled water. They like all other hotels in Cairo and Alexandria want you to buy their bottled water which is priced at twice or thrice the usual market rate of 50 US Cents for a half liter bottle.

The best break we had was finding an excellent/reliable taxi owner (not one recommended by the hotel) who took us everywhere at an hourly rate of 25 Egyptian Pounds. We usually hired him for 8 hrs every day and saw on this trip (our third in Egypt) lot more than we ever saw with tour groups on our prior two visits. His name is Shaban Mohamed and his mobile number is [--]. You can mention that abdul aziz recommended him. That is not my real name but in Egypt, an Islamic name opens doors! My South Asian ancestry came in handy when I used an assumed name!! Though I am a naturalized US citizen, throughout this trip my wife and I claimed our South Asian identity at all places that do not require the showing of our US passports!

I have visited Egypt thrice so far., the last one was in 1986. But, I do not recall at any time in the past, the extent of hostility that the "common man and woman" on the street has against the US administration, as we saw and heard on this visit. They all preface their negative comments by saying that "we like the American people" but not your government. They also blame us for the repression that they face locally with regard to their new laws and regulations.

Having stayed at other Budget hotels as well as places like Movenpick and Oberoi's next to Giza, I think that one certainly gets one's money's worth at Concorde.

The TV did not work. There was no fridge. But, the bath and toilets worked. The beds were okay. For $ 28.00 compared to $ 125 plus 25% tax at Sheraton, Concorde is a good bargain. Will stay there, if we visit Cairo again. The staff and porters are very friendly."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of April 2007

Nowhere near the airport

"Be aware that on the Directrooms website, where I booked this otherwise okay hotel, this hotel is listed as 6km from the Cairo Airport, It is more like 20km. We were looking for an overnight in Cairo as we were taking a plane the next morning to start our Nile Cruise, so the hour cab ride each way cut deeply into our night's sleep."

• Travel date: Thu 4th of January 2007

Wouldn't stay here again

"Spent 4 nights here, We had 2 rooms booked and paid for and after arriving early in the morning (overnight train from Luxor) they did not have our rooms. And we were unable to get a refund. AC didn't work. Hot water barely, with a nice moldy shower. On the plus fair location, good breakfast. All in all I would look elseware if I ever go back to Cairo."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of November 2006

Unsuitable

"Booked through a travel agent according to website there were mini bars in the rooms, the room was very small, not very clean and no fridge.

The bathroom had been renovated, unfortunately where they had placed the hand basin in relation to the door meant that anyone who weighed anymore than 65 kilos would have had a problem getting into the bathroom.

It is also too far from town, the choice was either by taxi 20 EGP each way or involved a 20 - 25 min walk.

Breakfast and staff were OK."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of September 2006

OK

"Stayed in the Concord in March, it was ok. Room was small tv ok, no fridge or safe, bath not too clean. breakfast ok. The bar was ok, nothing to write home about. Best take your own iron cause what they brought up to us deserves to be in a musuem. As budget hotels go it was average.

The receptionist quickly organised a boat trip for us at 150 egyptian pounds,. It was nice... might have been expensive but we enjoyed it. the local taxi guy that solicits outside the hotel took us next door to a perfume guy who forced us to read a book on all the 100 of satisfied customers he'd had. They basically got us to commit to an excursion we could have gone on for free.

I found Cairo a hard city to relax in.. a bit like Newyork. spend a max 2 days there then head to Luxor... now Luxor is a place to relax in if there was ever. #..."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of July 2006

Ball out of Control

"This villa is St. Maarten sits on top of North Hill overlooking Sandy Ground bay. It is a beautiful 6000 sq ft villa with infinity pool, goumet kitchen, flat screen, bose stereo. Great services; owner threw in massages for two by the pool. The bar was fully stocked, food was stocked. High speed internet was provided. Pool table, work out equipment etc. I thought I was a movie star for a week."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of July 2006

For the price, acceptable- just barely acceptable !

"So far as location goes, I don't think there are any great locations in Cairo, mainly as the downtown roads are so pedestrian-unfriendly, but having said that, the location of this one is certainly reasonable. This was billed as a 3 star hotel and I think 2 star would be more accurate but that's ok for a rock bottom room rate. If you want more than the bare essentials, do not come here. Some things I think that are worth mentioning:1 The hotel rooms occupy only the top 6 floors of this (? 12 storey high rise) and there is only one 4 person (really only 4 person) max lift which you therefore are obliged to use.
2 Our bathroom was pretty small (when you sit on the loo, your knees are almost under the sink !) with almost no surfaces to leave your toiletries. The shower did its job but was a bit of a sluggish flow. If I knew what this place was like before I came, would I have stayed ? - Yes, because of its (bare) acceptability coupled with the cheapness of the room rate."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of March 2006

Just as good as the four seasons...probably better

"What a fantastic Hotel!!!!
My boyfriend and I were there for 1week in june and felt nothing but regret when it was time to go home. The hotel is really nice. Rooms are spacious and the bed is big and comfy. Great satellite tv and we had the best view over looking one of the pools. Being Egypt, the weather was perfect, hot but not humid. If your fair skinned be careful as the heat can get pretty intense around 1pm. An absolutly stunning view of the sea over looking the main pool, its almost magical. We went all inclusive and I gained 7lbs in 7days! too much food which was delish was the obvious problem. Unfortunatly i didnt get to attend any of the evening entertainment as i was too full from dinner but it looked lively. There were about 4 pools but the big main one was the nicest by far. The guys working by the pool were always so helpful and would rush to find us two loungers if there weren't any free and the bar staff were friendly and accomodating. All in all, I would definatly reccomend this hotel. Everything we wanted was at our finger tips!"

• Travel date: Fri 7th of October 2005

This 'hotel' was the most disgusting hot...

"This 'hotel' was the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in. It is dirty, dark and bleak. The bathroom is unbelievably dirty. The food isn't anybetter either. I would even rate this hotel a 1 star. There are many other hotels in cairo ( 2 star and 3 star) which are cheaper than this one and have a much higher standard. Don't go anywhere near this one."

• Travel date: Wed 21st of May 2008

Hotels near Concord Hotel

Stayed at Concord Hotel? Share your insight.

Concord Hotel is also called