City View Hotel

1 El Bostan St. Downtown, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Good

Great Location, museum really is across the road.

"Ticks most of the boxes with free airport pickup if you're staying two nights, free wi-fi, decent breakfast included (love those foil sculptures). The rooms are so-so, but reasonably clean, with daily service and origami towels. Occasional mosquitos, occasionally whiffy, plenty of Cairo noise - the roundabout below is pumping with traffic day and night. Day to day staff are friendly, helpful and quite charming. The (less charming) travel desk arranged us a great day out viewing pyramids, but wanted a hefty fee to arrange a transfer to the station for the overnight train to Aswan. (The desk clerk helpfully pointed out that we could use the metro 50m away for 1 LE each.)"

• Travel date: Mon 18th of January 2010

Good value - bring cash!

Good

"I only stayed a couple of nights. Good hotel for the value. The taxi took forever to find it though. Be aware - they want cash for payment!"

• Travel date: Sun 10th of January 2010

Good location, good value

Good

"We enjoyed our stay at City View very much. Other than the concierge, who we found to be overbearing, annoying and intrusive, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Our room was quite clean and did not have any of the odor problems mentioned by some other reviewers. It was clean and everything was in working order. Sure, this place is noisy. I'd ask you to find me a hotel in this location that isn't some massive highrise and is not noisy. It's Cairo! I don't know what some people expect. It's across the street from the Egyptian Museum. We took an excursion with their staff (as a driver and guide) to Dashur, Saqqara and Giza and had a fabulous time. Internet is available. The breakfast was great, continental and Egyptian and varied day to day. Great value for the money. I'd give it a very positive 2-3 star rating."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of January 2010

If you are sensitive to smells, don't stay here

"Place reeks of sewer and pesticide..had a strong smell of pesticide in the room that gave us a headache and a sore throat..Bathroom door does not lock and the handle kept coming off. The shower rod was broken and taped up..kept falling on our head..the staff did not understand why this was an issue and asked us to remove the shower curtain..lots of flies and mosquitoes in the room..This room is worth no more than 40-45 dollars..

The hotel staff are helpful and tried to save us money."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of December 2009

Friendly helpful staff and a great location

"The staff are all very nice and very helpful and have genuine respect for manager Mr Tiger. For a 3 star hotel, there is everything you need in the rooms, especially 2 excellent pillows and a comfortable bed. Bed and pillows are what I always miss most away from home, but there was nothing to complain about here. Breakfasts were good too - variety, and different every day. Also the restaurant was very useful for cups of tea, etc. Location couldn't be better -- very near the metro and just opposite the Cairo museum. You can eat very cheaply in the area (shwarma, kushari, etc). The noise is incessant, of course, but hey, you're in downtown Cairo. Bring earplugs! You can get one of the two 'inner' rooms (518 and 519) which are not noisy but have no windows and are therefore not so fresh. You won't get a load of tours pushed at you but ask if you need a taxi."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of December 2009

A room with a bad smell and alot of noise from inside and outside

"I stayed here for 2 nights and would not recommend it. I enjoy trying local owned hotels and have had great experiences in places like Vietnam for a fraction of the price. This place though makes me want to "upgrade". I asked the hotel manager when I booked, for a quiet room. They gave me a room on the busiest side of the hotel and very noisy even with the window closed. I went out with a colleague after checking in and when I came back, the room smelled like sewerage (room 514). I think they tried to use odourisers to mask the smell, but it was still very strong. It was late so I decided to put up with it, but after a little while it got too much and I had to open the window and try to sleep with the cold air coming in and extermely loud noise from constantly honking cars outside plus the minaret calls at 5:30am. Bad sleep, needless to say. In the morning I asked the desk attendant for a change of room because of a "bad smell" and he immediately got a staff member to help me move to the room next door which had also been available. I guess I was not the first person to say something. There was no bad smell in the second room, although all night there was still noise coming in from the traffic outside even with the windows closed and also some noise from air-conditioning/refrigeration which was quite loud. I am normally a heavy sleeper.

The location is very near to the Egyptian museum and a main reason why I chose this hotel, although ironically I never made it there due to limited time.

Reasons behind ratings: The rooms themselves are very clean but they lose points for putting guests in a room with a sewerage smell. Location is good in terms of being central but bad in terms of noise. I gave good service ratings for the staff there, losing points for the Manager's service level.

The staff there were all very nice, helpful and friendly. I did not feel they wanted a tip as mentioned in other reports. The Manager though is not very good and he also mishandled my request for a taxi transfer to a business residence when I left, so his staff had to make up for his laziness. Basically, I'm sure there are better 3 star hotels in Cairo. This place just needs to fix the smelly rooms and the Manager's service level."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of December 2009

Dirt, Culture and Cairo

"First impressions when arriving at Cairo airport was very pleasent, the mordern airport was well equiet, and efficant. However once steppuing out into the streets, we were hit with scams from left to right and friendly smiles, that then turned into angery growels when you turned them down. The hotel we stayed at was simple, yet lovely staff, "City View Hotel". Once onto the streets, it was dirty, rubbish unceaned and more scamers attempting out buy what they had to offer. Interesting new culture though."

• Travel date: Mon 21st of December 2009

very enjoyable stay

Good

"We stayed at the City View for 3 nights in late November and again for 3 nights in early December. The rooms were clean and the staff was very accommodating ,and friendly . Salam arranged a 9 day trip to Aswan,Luxor and Hurgada which included hotels and transportation. We would recommend using his services.The breakfasts in the morning were good and the variety was also good.We would definitely stay there again.
P.s. The free internet was a welcomed bonus."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of December 2009

Excellent

"I enjoyed my stay at the City View Hotel in Cairo. It was clean, the beds were comfortable, the rooms were nice and felt bigger due to the high ceilings. It was a good location across the street from the Egyptian museum. The service was excellent. Staff and managment is very friendly. The free transfer from the Cairo airport was organized perfectly. The breakfast is not bad. In the room a bit noisy, but that's because the hotel is located in downtown Cairo. This hotel is the best combination of price and quality."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of December 2009

Emerse yourself in Cairo!

"My husband and our two children ages 6 and 8 traveled to Cairo in mid-November and were lucky enough to stay at the City View. We were emersed in Cairo from that first night and we will never forget it. From the balcony we watched and listened to the sounds of Cairo. The morning prayer rang over the city at 5 am and the traffic finally slowed down and quieted down for a brief repreave only to start up again it seemed minutes later.

We were picked up at the airport and brought to the hotel late at night where we rode the elevator up to the 5th floor to the quaint 20 room hotel. The doorman carried my sleeping son, age 6, all the way up to our room and thus became the routine at the end of each day touring the sites.

Our room was nice with a balcony over looking Tahir square to the left and the Egyptian Museum to the right. Because there were four of us they added a comfortable fold out cot.
We had a television with cable and the kids loved watching the many cartoons in both English and Arabic.

The breakfast in the morning was good. We enjoyed eating the many local cheeses, egyptian beans, hard boiled eggs, small baguets, yogurts, cereal and more.

We arranged our tours through the hotel and traveled to Giza, Memphis and surrounding areas one day, to Alexandria and city tour to the Coptic church, Old Museum and River Cruise. At night we wandered the streets and shops buying souvenirs from corner venders. We went into a local bakery where the kids chose huge pretzels for the equivalent of about 20 cents US.

We ate KOSHARY at the local restaurants for take out - very good and inexpensive.

The people of Cairo were very welcoming and loved to take pictures with the kids.

The hotel staff were gracious and accomadating. We treated to well that we decided to cancel our stay at the Marriott on our return trip from Sharm el Sheikh and stay one more night with our friends at City View and yes they did end up carrying my son one last time."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of December 2009

Great service and great stay at the City View

Good

"My family and I really enjoyed our stay at the City View Hotel in Cairo. It was very clean, the beds were comfortable, the rooms were nice and it was a good location across the street from the Egyptian museum. The service was fantastic and the staff went out of their way to make this a pleasant stay. The free pick-up from the airport was a plus and the drivers were there waiting for us with no hastle. We had ten of us arriving on separate flights and they picked all of us up separately which was really appreciated. The breakfast buffet in the mornings was also a tasty surprise. This is saying a lot as I am quite picky about food and rarely like free hotel breakfasts. The reason for giving this hotel a four rather than five star is because some of the rooms were noisy, although this might be hard to get a way from in this area."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of December 2009

Good Value Near Egyptian museum

Good

"Since I had read so many terrible things about Cairo hotels in general, I was pleasantly surprised with our stay at the City View Hotel. It is centrally located, the room felt bigger due to the high ceilings. We walked to the Egyptian museum twice saving us from haggling with the Cairo cabbies. Non-stop honking can be bothersome but it's all part of the Cairo experience. The breakfast menu was varied and better than other places we stayed.

The only thing I did not like was arranging paid transport through the hotel. They provided us complementary pickup service from the airport which was fantastic. The next day we arranged a driver to the pyramids through the front desk. Our driver blatantly refused to take us to the ticket entrance near the Pyramids even though we asked him over and over and showed him the map. Instead took us to the horse stables - he kept insisting that distance between the pyramids were 11km and we needed horses. The distances for the great pyramids are less than 0.1 mile so this was ridiculous. But I think this type of thing is very common in Giza even if you take your own cab. We also arranged a driver to the airport- the driver was not an official taxi driver - he actually did not know where our terminal was and then tried to charge us extra for the car entry fee into the airport even after having arranged a fixed price."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of November 2009

Hotels near City View Hotel

Stayed at City View Hotel? Share your insight.

City View Hotel is also called