Baron Hotel Heliopolis Cairo

4 Ma'ahad Al Sahary St. Off Uruba Rd, Heliopolis, Cairo 11511 Egypt

Horrendous

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We stayed in this hotel for one night prior to our early departure the next day. We only stayed at this hotel because our plane was really early the next day and it's close to the airport.

We came in early morning just to leave our heavy bags and go around town.We had booked a room for three people. Desk service was ridiculously slow. They checked our printed online reservation numerous times, and had to ask for more people to come and check it. After ages they agreed to let us leave our bags only out in the open, not in a safe place.

when we came back in the afternoon for the check in, same story. Hours to check our online reservation. We got to the room (small) and there were only 2 beds though we had booked 3.

We had to wait for somebody to come in with a bed, and we helped them moving the furniture out of thhe way. After the guy had made the bed, he asked for a tip, and I said that the bed should have been made before we arrived. He just stood there, asking fo a tip, as if he did not understand English (plausible). We were obviously not satisfied, and he just kept askig for a tip, and would not leave the room until he was ignored for a few minutes, but not before showing his discontentment.

Deplorable service. It's an insult to the intelligence of their guest to keep creating useless services in order to charge more.

Expensive internet access, but the priter was broken, so we could not do our check in."

• Travel date: Mon 7th of September 2009

No standard at all!!!

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I had the pleasure to come in Cairo for 2 weeks in June for business purpose, and was excited about it I have to say, until I reached the hotel. I had a booking for 1 night there as I wanted to check first if it would be fine for the rest of my trip.
Well, I was right to try it first, the service was just a joke from check in to check out, I just don't know how can they position themselves as a 4 stars business (which they are not actually, despite the 4 star sign on their counter they was retrograded to 3 stars a couple of years ago due to their poor hygiene I was told by a colleague).

Telling all the weird and shocking things that happened to me in 1 day at this hotel would be to long but here is a small taste of it:

_ As I was waiting for them to retrieve my booking and decide which room to give me I went to their "Coffee corner" to have a refreshment, waiter to be found there, despite staying there for more than half hour and having ask some staff passing by still there was nobody.

_ Room service is to forget about it if you don't speak arabic, the only answer you will get is "OKAYYY!!!" but nothing will come.

_ The Starlight restaurant on the top floor and with a nice view was occupied only by the musician, nobody from the F&B department was there, guest come and have a seat for some time before leaving the place.

_ The A/C grid in the room was the dirtiest I have ever seen in my life.

_ Buffet breakfast was with waiter but they absolutely don't care at all about the guest, they just pass at your table to give you the check without a word or a look at you, I had to go to pick up my coffee myself. On the other hand there was no chef at the egg station and nobody knew about that either.

I felt that this hotel was a disgrace for all the hotelier, if they don't have the mean to serve the people well they should change business."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of August 2009

Below average and expensive

Reviewed Wed 24th of October 2012

"We ended up in this hotel due to a booking error with our original choice. Out of sympathy they offered us suites, which at $ 200 sounded ok, but the quality was poor. Clean, but very dated. The service at the front desk was not good and the credit card terminal did not seem to work ever. My advice is stick with a brand name you know in Cairo"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of August 2009

One of the most depressive hotels I've been to...

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"One of the most depressive hotels ever!!! Very small, low maintained rooms.. "Business Center" is like a joke.. Found my self in 60's movie setting.. Did not eat anything there, but Internet was extremely expensive.. The only thing that was good was the whiteness of the sheets.. If you have another choice, just go with it.."

• Travel date: Fri 24th of October 2008

4 star? they had extra paint for the extra star

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Overall this place is a dump. the rooms are 2 low, hard single beds, a 1980's tv and ooooooold fixtures. bad bars, good restaurant, loud loud loud."

• Travel date: Sun 17th of February 2008

Not an enjoyable stay

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Baron Heliopolis was th fourth hotel we stayed in during our one-month long trip to Egypt, and it was by far the worst. The welcome at the front desk was non-existent, and we felt as if the desk clerk was doing us a favor by giving us a room key. Though the room was large, it was fusty and old. My son wanted to take a shower, but there was no hot water. This happened a total of three separate times during our visit. There is no restaurant to speak of, and the hotel breakfast (included in the room price) was dull with little new or interesting despite the fact that the hotel lobby sports one of the supposedly best bakeries in the area. Internet service was expensive (about $10 for 30 minutes), but what was worse, the clerk who handed out the access cards never had change. My son usually went to buy the cards, and finally, when we were owed about 8 pounds, he claimed that we owed him money. The final straw came on the morning of our departure. They never gave us the wake-up call we requested (fortunately I had a back-up travel alarm), and when I went to take a shower at 5AM, no hot water. This hotel disappointed in almost every way. If you have other options, I would suggest that you explore them."

• Travel date: Fri 10th of August 2007

An Amazing Trip

Reviewed Sun 18th of November 2012

"The hotel is nestled amidst a lot of greenery and is bang opposite the Baron Palace, which was built by Baron Empian, an European gentleman who had spent time in Cairo and resembles an ancient Indian Temple.

The room we stayed in was a standard double and was quite nice, had all the basic amenities and was clean as well.

Service within the hotel had a lot to be asked for, communication was a big problem, for that matter throughout Egypt, since most people speak only Arabic strangely though Tourism seems to be one of the pillars of the economy.

But the overalll experience was average or at times above average if you are looking at a resonable hotel room, not luxury. Since one if out most times of the day, its mostly going to be used at night so it was just fine.

We had done our booking through Egypt Air from Dubai.
We paid one time to them and our stay in Cairo, for one night initially and then again for two nights, after we came back from our Nile Cruise, everything was included. The cruise was full board and was a five star class, italian boat, all wood and beautiful. We spent four night on the cruise and that took us from Luxor to Aswan covering Esna, Edfu and Komobo in between.
Food on the cruise was awesome and the staff even call you if you dont show up for your bfast, lunch or dinner, very courteous.

There are games and parties every night and the best is the galabiya night where you need to wear some exotic local dress and then there is the big party that night where you dance and just be merry as well as get a chance to win some free gifts. At Esna, locals come with theur boats and they fling these dresses upto ur window or deck and you could choose what to wear for the night. Its soooo much fun."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

Nothing special

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"I stayed here a few times through work and I wasnt very impressed. As with many hotels the foyer was much cleaner and newer than the rooms. The rooms havent been modernised for a long time and I found cleanliness was not perfect.
One of the porters was a pain in the neck and claimed the LE 30 tip I gave him to take my bag to the room (a small bag which I was more than capable of carrying myself but he strongly insisted) was too small!
Okay to stay at if you are on a budget and get a great deal."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of July 2007

Good location in Heliopolis

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"I have been to a couple of hotels in Heliopolis Baron and Meridien. Meridien is far better, for a little more money. But the Baron has a better location you can walk to restaurant. The room are old an outaded. It does look like a 4 stars hotel. It is very basic. It has a nice view facing the baron castle. The breakfast is good. I will pay a litte more and get to a 5 stars instead."

• Travel date: Tue 24th of April 2007

Bad Experience!!!!

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"For a few more dollars you can be treated a lot better, enjoy much more, in a real up class hotel ..
1)I went there to find below average customer serivce, such as returning your inquiries and questions a long time after you call them, or not returning them at all.. stern faces sometimes as you return the key to the reception, or go there to pick it up ( .....yes the old hotels key system, unlike the modern hotels in Egypt ..)
2)very small rooms especially the ones on the corner with low lighting level..
3)The management is there to reinforce the hotel policy, and to talk in an assertive manner, not to respond to guests needs, or requests.. sometimes you can feel as if you are paying them to be rude to you ...

If that is not enough, go there, just to try it... and when you reach the same conclusion, then try (The Meridian, or Sheraton, ( both in Heliopolis) mmm such a beauty ...."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of December 2005

Hotels near Baron Hotel Heliopolis Cairo

Stayed at Baron Hotel Heliopolis Cairo? Share your insight.