Movenpick Resort Aswan

Elephantine Island PO Box 62, Aswan 81111 Egypt

Good

Perfect peace and tranquility

"This hotel was just perfect.

The room was both spacious an immaculate with a beautiful view over the Nile.The pool was lovely, very clean and well attended.

The food was excellent, fantastic choice and very good value. My friend and I are vegetarians and this was noticed by the head waiter within minutes. Endless things were brought from the kitchen for us to try.

The service was also excellent throughout the hotel. We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes for the private ferry to take us to or from this wonderful little island.

We had only booked 3 nights but added an extra night. Deserves every one of it's five stars. Look forward to going back."

• Travel date: Sun 19th of October 2008

Tranquil gem

"A haven of tranquility in the middle of the Nile and no vehicles. Efficient private ferry from Aswan to island. Very good rooms with good views. The food was excellent at all meals, the pool area very clean and attractive and an effective masseur.
Service in every department could not be faulted. A very relaxing place to be."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of October 2008

Excellant Hotel

"We have just returned from a week staying at the Movenpick Hotel in Aswan. I was concerned about a week prior to going as our travel agent advised us that there was building work going on but it shouldn't disturb us! This was quite accurate. There is renovation work happening but apart from one night when we heard some hammering we were not disturbed by them. The room was lovely and very clean - two balconies and fresh fruit when we arrived.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful.

It is very easy to get the little boat to and from the island and you are never waiting longer than 5 mins.

The swimming pool and the areas around were very clean. As soon as we walked to a bed a member of staff came across with towels and mattress and put the sunshade up. They never hovered around for a tip either.

Can recommend this hotel"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of September 2008

a haven of peace overlooking the Nile

"it was a wonderful place to stay out on an island where you could only get there by boat. The boats run frequently. Views over Aswan and the Nile beautiful. We had lunch at the swimming pool and dinner at the hotel and both meals were lovely. Swimmimg pool area superb.Everything was of a very high standard of a very high standard and we would certainly recommend this hotel to any who are planning to visit Aswan.

We went to the markets in Aswan -be warned the sellers there are very aggressive and we gave up shopping. We have travelled all through Asia and never have experienced such aggressive behaviour in trying to sell their goods."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of September 2008

A slice of heaven. Did not want to leave

"In my review last year I said this place would be amazing once the renovations were completed. I was right! I regret that I only stayed two nights. I won't make that mistake again.

The hotel grounds are still pristine and, upon entering the main building, I was pleasantly surprised by the new lobby. It is top notch and surpassed only by the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. I arrived sweaty and tired from Luxor (with stops at Edfu and Kom Ombo on the way). Did I mention it was a little after high noon in August?? The staff was sympathetic and friendly, getting me checked in in record time. Upon arrival to my room, I mentioned that I would have liked to see more of the Nile, and in no time at all the front desk called to try to get me a better view. I was slightly embarassed by all the fuss. A little later the phone in my room stopped working and again, less than ten minutes after I called reception, two technicians were in my room with a spare phone and a line tester. I cannot praise the service enough. There is a clear distinction between this year and last's. It is clear that the Moevenpick did a complete overhaul here and is taking customer satisfaction very seriously. It is appreciated. Keep it up. Everyone I came into contact with offered impeccable service..and with a smile!

The rooms - Last year, my only complaint was that the rooms, though clean, were in need of refurbishing. This year, the warm Nubian decor welcomed me. I love the open plan bathroom, ultra modern bathroom fixtures and excellent water pressure in the shower. This is something you appreciate even more in August. The view from my balcony was magical. It was a partial garden/Nile view but I could lay on my bed and watch the Tombs of the Nobles lit up at night and even better, the feluccas sailing past in the morning. Words can't describe the feeling of waking up the sight of white sails gliding on the Nile with the tombs as a backdrop. I was transported. Speaking of laying in bed, the bedds are extremely comfortable and the sheets and comforters soft and snuggalicious.

The food - The breakfast buffet is quite extensive and has something for everyone. From breads and pastries, to eggs, fruit,sausages, pancakes, local Egyptian dishes and hot cereals you will not leave hungry. It's served in the Orangerie, a clean-lined, modern restaurant.

Room service was flawless and the prices were quite reasonable. Delivery was timely, the food was excellent and the staff again were professional, courteous and couldn't do enough for you. While I loved the food, my favorite dish was a dessert called Omm Ali. It was my first time trying it and I was not disappointed!

The Tower - The tower is now open and tea is served there from 4-7pm at a cost of 50LE. There is also a happy hour from 9pm - 10:30pm where drinks are half price. Definitely go have a look, if only for the view of the Nile and Aswan city.

Safety - There is the guard out front, but more importantly I noticed the sprinklers in the rooms and the fire extinguishers on every floor (3 per floor).

Spa treatments are available. I didn't try them but they are very reasonably priced. The pool is also open.

On my day of departure, my flight didn't leave until midnight. Because there were a number of groups there at the time, with more arriving that day, reception couldn't help me too much with late check-out. Instead, they advised that I pay a day room rate of $30, which allowed me to stay till 6. They further extended this until 7:30pm. From there, I just went to dinner and did last minute shopping until my flight. Something to consider if you have a very late flight. It was an excellent solution and pretty cheap.

All in all, I had a FANTASTIC stay. Well done by the Moevenpick. The renovations were worth the wait. There is still some work going on on one end of the building but I was not affected by this. I could hear noise in the hallways but not once I closed my door. Once that work is completed, the the rooms facing Kitchener Island will be open for booking and the view from those rooms will be heaven on earth. Can't wait!"

• Travel date: Sat 13th of September 2008

An exceptional hotel

"We stayed at the Movenpick for two separate nights, with a one night stay at Abu Simbel in the middle. The first night we stayed, we were upgraded to superior rooms, which were among the most comfortable and luxurious rooms I've ever stayed in. Although I'd booked a single room for my daughter, she was given a double room next door to us. When we went back for the second night, the hotel was much busier, and we were given standard rooms, which were still very comfortable and beautifully refurbished.

The hotel has been renovated to a high standard throughout, with very tasteful decor. All of the staff we came across throughout the hotel were delightful, but the breakfast restaurant manager was particularly exceptional. We ate in the main restaurant on both of the nights we stayed, and the food was excellent. There was a choice of ordering from the a la carte menu or having the themed buffet. The full buffet cost LE120, but we were able to order just a hot buffet for LE65, which suited us much better as we normally find it hard to do justice to a full buffet. There was a wonderful choice for breakfast.

The main bar was spacious and stylish, with excellent service. The hotel has a large pool, which was almost empty for most of the time we were there. The pool attendants and pool bar waiters were friendly and efficient. The grounds were beautifully maintained, and the hotel was spotless throughout.

We were very sorry to leave the Movenpick, and wished we had booked a longer stay."

• Travel date: Sun 7th of September 2008

Family from South Wales, UK

"A truly 5* hotel. We were unsure of quality since we haven't visited Aswan for 10 years (normally stayed at Old Cataract Hotel every year). We now have a young family, so cleanliness, quality of food and pool etc very important. This hotel met all of our expectations and more. Quite simply, the Hotel staff made our holiday - previous reviewers were so right 'the staff couldn't do enough for you'. Marble bathrooms, regular supply of fruit (and frulit that actually smelt of fruit), newspapers in our room and, cleaners that actually clean and tidy our room! Shallow and clean pool. Food excellent (in fact better than the Old Cataract, and we didn't suffer stomach upsets), rooms nice and large (with connecting rooms for children), chldren had twin room with bath and we had double with queen size bed (marvalous!). If you like a busy night life (pubs, night clubs, butlins style entertainment, shopping malls, closely located to major tourist sites), Aswan is not for you. If you love egyptian culture and their people, don't mind a little bit of hassle in the souk, don't mind 43 degrees heat, Aswan is for you. We still don't think that Aswan is too bad for hassle. Although, we did see more tourists this year than we had 10 years ago (over 300 boats now tour the nile). If your firm and courteous with your 'la shokrahn', they soon leave you alone and, in fact when you think about it, they are only trying to make a living. Years ago I found both Luxor and Cairo (especially around the Pyramids) a little more overpowering with hassle. I guess the egyptian salesmen are a little more hardened to some of our arrogant tourists around the busy tourist areas. We have friends in Aswan, so not to out-do Luxor, we are a little bit biased. Luxor is certainly a fantastic base to see all the major sights and a visit to Cairo will provide you with an amazing if hectic experience (unfortunately I read that you can no longer photograph Tut-Ank-Amun's treasures at the Egyptian museum). We will all be going back to Aswan, as the Hotel stationary stated at our room 'Wellcome home to Aswan', how right they were!"

• Travel date: Mon 1st of September 2008

An oasis of calm in the middle of the Nile.

Good

"We stayed at this hotel for three nights in June 2008 on the second leg of our Egypt tour as a family group of six people in three rooms. This hotel was formerly known as the Elephantine Island Resort and must be Aswan's best kept secret. The whole place looks brand new even down to the air conditioned, mirrored lifts.

First impressions were excellent. The free boat takes you across the Nile from the hotels private jetty in Aswan to their private jetty in front of the hotel on Elephantine Island. The hotel grounds are large with extensive, well kept, lush gardens which you walk through to reach the reception (the gardens are also fogged regularly at dusk to keep mosquitoes down). Your luggage is taken care of over in Aswan and duly arrives in the hotel lobby while you are checking in. The entrance to the hotel takes you into a large, airy and well conditioned (need this in June as the temp is 43 degrees) spacious reception area where you are given a welcome drink while formalities are taken care of. The hotel was undergoing discreet renovations at this time but this in no way interefered with our stay apart from the fact that only the Orangerie buffet restaurant was open (the advertised Italian restaurant was closed).

The rooms have been recently renovated in a Nubian style and were very clean, spacious and tastefully decorated. The aircon was nice and cold with all in room appliances working. The bathrooms were large and have shutters which can be opened into the room itself. A strange sounding feature but one which works well to give an open plan effect. Outside the room was a balcony with a view over the gardens leading to the large swimming pool area. This hotel has 140 or so rooms but was never more then half full during our stay. Given the size of the hotel and public areas I would say that they would have no problems accommodating a full occupancy.

The staff were all very friendly and I could not fault either the service or the food in any way. There is a small shopping area inside the hotel within which you can haggle in a relaxed manner over souveniers. The swimming pool area is very large with plenty of sunbeds and umbrellas and attendants who simply can't do enough for you. The service and food at the poolside bar was also of an excellent standard. The swimming pool itself is undergoing some renovation at one end (looks like an infinity edge being built?) but was never worked on during our stay and in no way detracted from any of us using it. The pool is large and shallow yet deep enough to swim in. There is a cocktail lounge on the 13th floor of the tower which was never used by anyone other than us during our stay. A real shame as it offers excellent views all round (particularly at sunset), the staff were very friendly, the service was excellent and the ambience was very good also.

Tip - On your way to the pool look out for the baby crocodile in the small pond that has a bridge crossing over it. He lives in a large plant pot when not swimming but sometimes comes out to see you.

There is not a great deal to see in Aswan other than the High Dam, the Unfinished Obelisk and Philae Temple. We did all of these but didn't have enough time to travel down to Abu Simbel (another reason to return here in the future though). This is an excellent place to simply relax after doing Cairo and Luxor but we only stayed for three nights before moving on to Luxor on our next leg. I would describe this hotel as an oasis of calm in the middle of the Nile.

We were very impressed with this hotel and in hindsight we all wished we had stayed here for longer as we were sorry to leave it. Would I go back? You bet.

All in all this was our first stay in a Moevenpick and if this hotel is anything to go by I will be staying at others."

• Travel date: Wed 16th of July 2008

Very Nice Hotel with Great Service

"Great Hotel in a Nice location with great service. Stayed as part of a Globus/Avalon tour and was treated very well. Rooms are spacious, comfortable with great bathrooms. Hotel staff was exceptional with dining service being expecially good. Easy access to Aswan via the water ferry/taxi and a very nice view of the city from the hotel bar atop the tower."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

Very happy

"We stayed here in May 2008 and thought this was an excellent property. They gave us a modern, large room and service and breakfast were excellent. Highly recomended."

• Travel date: Sat 24th of May 2008

What an amazing place

"Myself and my husband have just got back from here and I could not fault the hotel. Even though they advertised building work there wasn't a single sound to disturb the peacefulness of watching the boats go by on the Nile from the pool. The hotel is kept really clean as is the pool and surrounding areas. The food was excellent with plenty of choice for all tastes, even as a fussy eater myself I did not struggle with options of what to eat. The hotel is on an Island on the Nile so every bedroom has a view of the Nile, which creates an ever changing scenary. The high tower which is part of this hotel offers the most amazing views of Aswan day and night. The boat to the Island runs every 5 minutes 24 hours a day and the staff are so friendly and helpful I can understand why I met people who live here 6 months of the year. It's not a cheap hotel if you are looking for a bargain holiday, but that is what makes it more attractive to me, I would return in a heartbeat if I didn't have to work for a living. There are no direct flights from England to Aswan at this time and that is what I believe keeps it a true gem in the Nile, if that is what it takes to preserve the quality of a trip to this hotel then I hope they never do fly direct."

• Travel date: Fri 1st of May 2009

Hotels near Movenpick Resort Aswan

Stayed at Movenpick Resort Aswan? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Movenpick Resort Aswan

• morrisp by morrisp

"The Movenpick tower, The orangerie and Abu Simbel "

Movenpick Resort Aswan is also called