Stella di Mare Grand Hotel

Km 46 Suez-Hurgada Road Red Sea, Ain Sukhna 351 Egypt

Good

The Stella di Mare resort has suffered since the change of management

"my relationship with this resort goes way back, i have been staying at one of their hotels since before the management was changed. there are three hotels within the resort, apparently there is a golf hotel, but i have never stayed there. the stella sea club (name has changed) is also located within the resort, i have not had any bad experiences there.

so here i will concentrate on the Stella Grand, which used to be known as the Swiss Inn.

the last time i stayed at the hotel i found a piece of glass in my mouth while i was eating in the restaurant.

i am just glad that it ended up in my mouth, and not in the mouth of my young son. the mangement were apologetic, and offered to give us a 10% discount on the price of our stay. to be fair, the manager i spoke to had before that tried to offer me a free stay, which i refused, due to the fact that i never wanted to stay at the hotel again.

all in all, the beach is nice, the pool is acceptable, but my main problem was the staff, which seem to have a very bad attitude problem - and of course the safety of the food.

the spa is very nice however, and has its own little private section of the beach."

• Travel date: Wed 25th of March 2009

A horrible experience.

"We were really looking forward to a great family vacation with lots of pampering in a classy hotel. We selected the stella di mare sea club. It was pricey but we thought, it's going to be worth it since the website boasts that it is a 4 star hotel. We saw that the grand is a 5 star hotel but we opted for the Sea club. Upon arriving there, the front desk was very crowded. After waiting for 20 minutes to be checked in, they told us our room was not clean yet and they would call us when it would be. It was already half passed 2 and they still hadn't cleaned our room! We had pre-paid and pre-reserved out room. So we sat and waited another half and hour around the pool area. We were very thirsty/hungry after the long drive and we found nobody to come and wait on us and had no idea where to order drinks or food. The staff were very unfriendly and cold. It was definately not going to be a trip where we would be getting the pampering we so badly needed! Finally we had to go and argue with the front-desk about getting our room because we were sooo cold and tired.

We got our rooms and walked in to realize that the rooms were far from four-star standards. We have been in many hotels and knew what it should look like. The furniture was old and the wood was all scratched up. The beds and pillows were very bouncy and uncomfortable. The room was not that clean. There was no mini-bar. The room service was fast and tasty though.

We then went to the hotel buffet dinner to find that people were swarmed around the food like ants. We could barely reach anything because people were acting as if they had never seen food! It was ridiculous! Maybe the only good thing is later that night the Lebanese singer Rola had a concert in the hotel, to which all the hotel visitors got free tickets to go see. That was okay.

We only spent 2 nights there but the whole time felt that we definately did NOT get what we paid for. The beach was okay and the sand is soft. There is a little bit for the kids to do. But basically, u feel like you have been ripped off. Either they should lower their prices or increase their personal standards.

By far the worst part of our stay were the horribly rude, unprofessional, and untrained staff! Don't go."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of December 2008

Nightmare

"We stayed at the Stella over two years ago and decided to go again for 5 nights to rest and enjoy the Thalasso Spa. While trying to check in we were told we could not bring "outside" water into the hotel, in a very unfriendly demanding way, and to take it out...my husband ask to speak to the Mgr or Asst. Mgr., both were out of town, and were given to a lady named Liza, Rooms Div. Mgr., also, wife of the Asst. Mgr. She was very rude and unprofessional to my husband, and was told we could leave if we didn't like it....all over some water!!! We took the water back to the car and decided to check in anyway as we were truly tired and wanted to use the Spa facilities next door. I am not normally a complaining person, but we should have left. Dinner was terrible the food had no taste and sauces seemed watered down. Our bed was the most uncomfortable bed and pillows we have ever slept on, as they were so hard I had back and hip problems the next morning. Around midnight a young couple with an infant checked in to the room next to ours....the baby cried for two solid hours, another couple with them were in the room on their other side also with small childen and were very loud as well. Reception told us they would send someone up, but never did. We finally fell asleep around 3 a.m. to be awaken early to the baby crying again. We packed and went to reception to check out. Reception never ask us why we were leaving early....I saw Lisa at the counter and told her what had happened the night before and she gave no offer to change our rooms to try and help us enjoy our trip. She just ask me what type of bed we had had....I told her it was a double as if that should tell me everything. She told me that all adjoining rooms had double beds and that was what we had...we did not ask for an adjoining room and at that point she could have easily moved us to a different room as the hotel was only half full this week. She didn't even try to help just turned away and continued talking to the desk clerk. My husband and I travel a lot around the Red Sea and have enjoyed many stays in fine hotels in the area and have never been treated so badly by hotel staff. It seems when we stayed before the hotel was under different management.
Needless to say, we will never stay there again and will tell all our friends about the staff and food. By the way, the Thalasso was great as usual. We stayed Dec. 1 to Dec. 2 2008.
Hussein and Patricia Eltouni"

• Travel date: Thu 4th of December 2008

Very friendly hotel

"Hotel is very quiet.Rooms are with king-size beds,but the shower is poor.Everything was very clean!Staff was horrible!!!!!!!!!!
They are unfriendly!!!We got a room that looks like it was underground,so we said to them that we want a better room with view on something!!They said that they dont have free rooms,but after 2 hours they gived us an axecutive-room with beautiful view on the sea and pool.Our room with view on sea was number 3083"

• Travel date: Sun 9th of November 2008

Ain Soukna Reasort and Cairo

"The hotel Stella di Grand is a good 2 hour drive from Cairo airport. The hotel is quite well appointed. The rooms are clean. The pool are is spacious and there are always sun beds available. The beach is quite busy but shallow for swimming. Don't expect the blue clear waters of the Red Sea though. The grounds of the hotel are beautifully maintained. The hotel is set in grounds that are bounded by a fence with security all the time. However if you do go out there is nothing there. The evenings can therefore be dull as there is no entertainemnt, a dull bar and nowhere to walk to.
The drawbacks are that the hotel staff can be either very helpful and serve you or completly ignore you and are miserable. This means that you can on one day get a drink in the bar served with a bowl of crisps and a smile and the next day after waiting to be served you go to the bar and eventually have a drink dumped on the table. The hotel caters for mainly Egyptian visitors, there were three conferences in the week we were there. This is not a problem excpet that you are in the middle of often large groups of people and therefore feel a bit of an outsider. The food is adequate although not a 5 star standard.
A day trip to Cairo to see the pyramids was enough - it is filthy. The arabs at the pyramids are very touchy and at first friendly until you refuse their demand for money when they can be menacing. I hated this and it spoilt my trip."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of November 2008

great place to relax

"Great hotel, not far from Cairo, just 1 hour drive. The swimming pool was wonderful, great food, nice weather. I'd like to visit there again soon.."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of October 2008

Better than expected!!

Good

"Not so bad for Africa and arab country.
It takes almost one and an half hour from cairo international airport to reach the hotel. We booked before going a transfer and it worked ok, there was a guide waiting for us when we arrived.
The staff is friendly but wanting some tip for everything they do!!
Beautifull gardens and pool, nice beach specialy for children.
The food was average(but no one got sick), and the hotel has several restaurants.
We book a one day tour at the hotel and visit the pyramids (Sakara, Memphis and Gize), including lunch, not expensive.
Nice place for rest, far from the chaotic Cairo."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of May 2008

Muslims be aware

"We had a horrible experience in Stella Grand Hotel. My wife uses one piece swimming suit that covers legs (like diving suit) in swimming pools. We found out that it is not allowed in their swimming pool. After 2 minutes in the water, we found bunch of security guards and their italian manager come running to the pool and asked my wife to come out. It was a horrible experience in front of the kids. We stayed their couple of days without being able to enjoy anything because of this weird rule that I never heard off before in any place in the world. We have been living in the states for 13 years and we went to tons of hotels all over the world (from Melbourne AUS to Wakiki Hawaii) and we never had any problem regarding my wife's swimming suit.

On top of all that, the dinner buffet in the 2 nights we stayed there was horrible compared to the price we payed for the rooms."

• Travel date: Fri 11th of April 2008

Gorgeous Setting, Bad food, Terrible service

"I went with a group of European and American friends in our 20s to escape Cairo for a weekend. The resort itself is lovely, very clean, comfortable rooms and beds, and our room, which was very reasonably priced, had a partial view of the sea with lunch greenery beneath the nice-sized balcony. Like many huge resorts it's like an oasis popping out of the desert along the highway and some parts near the road are still under construction. Clientele mostly European with some Egyptians. Lots of families, great children's pool.

The pool in general is perhaps the best I've ever been in - we nearly preferred it to the sea - and the clean beach with tons of lounge chairs is just steps away.

Downsides: The service is - without exaggerating - the WORST I have ever experienced. With the exception of a nice bartender and a pleasant fellow at the front desk, every waiter or service personnel of any kind was absolutely ill-tempered and unhelpful. My friends and I were shocked when in the outdoor dining area we were refused change, overcharged, and mischarged for items we hadn't ordered. In the dining room (Breakfast and dinner are included) we had to ask repeatedly to even receive place settings - in a buffet-style restaurant, mind you - and we NEVER received water glasses until the very end of our meal. I was refused a receipt, to the point where the additional copy of the drink bill (which I had assumed was a receipt) was ripped out of my hands. The staff actually seemed annoyed that we (or anyone) was eating at their restaurant. Which I have frankly never experienced before. Ever. HORRENDOUS service.

Also the options for nighttime activities were very limited, but we also did visit during Ramadan. No liquor was available, which is not exceptional for that time. The food was very mediocre, bordering on bad, and not worth the prices charged at the buffet (luckily it was included in our room price).

Would visit again, if only due to its proximity to Cairo and the amazing swimming pool. I suggest packing a lunch, however."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of September 2007

A Memorable Place (definetlly suggested !)

"Date: 27-29 April 2007
Author: tcliapis, Stationed in Helioupolis Cairo - Egypt

Stella Grand Hotel in Ain Shukhna and the “man made” luxury Vila & resorts area is the MOST CONVENIENT way to ESCAPE for a week end or so from Cairo !

Ain Shukhna located 105 Km from Cairo and 45 Km from Suez city in red sea (from the Suez side) is a perfect small place, equipped with all kind of stores, cosmopolitan, having 2-3 huge resort – hotels in there (among them Palmyra Golf Hotel that’s the oldest Egyptian Golf Court) and a luxury villa housing complex area.
As an Overall the place is totally secured in an isolated - fenced 5-10 square kilometers area!
Also is the inhabitance of thousands birds fleeing from the near by DESERT that makes the area a kind of “romantic” and has a true sand (not sand - roc as most red sea beaches) and sallow (ideal for families) sea !

Stayed there in Stella Grand Hotel an expensive but among the few TRUE 5 stars resorts in Egypt (as far as location, surroundings, accomodations, décor, service, efficiency) with a Private beach in the resort premises and a beautifull huge pool !

Imagine by the beach service in less than 10 minutes & room service in 2-3 minutes!

So, HAD A GRAND EXPERIENCE IN THERE …"

• Travel date: Tue 12th of June 2007

An excellent hotel for family holidays w...

"An excellent hotel for family holidays with young kids; a really nice pool, and the beach is fab; water is shallow for a long way and the kids can play in it safely. There is a lifeguards chair, although I didn't see a lifeguard in it during my stay.
One tip; DON''T HAVE THE BURGERS from the outside catering station, your bun will have been well and truly pecked by the many sparrows congregating the area whilst it is being prepared, and the chefs don't seem to care about this."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of May 2008

We have just returned from the Stella Di...

"We have just returned from the Stella Di Mar Hotel in Ain Soukhna Egypt. What a lovely place, unspoiled beaches and beautiful grounds. The hotel is very well run and all the staff are very helpful and attentive.

We had absolutely no criticisms of the hotel or the nearby hotel which we were allowed to access for the nightly entertainment. The children loved the beach and the huge pool.

Highly recommended for everyone who loves a non commercial holiday. However we did miss magazines and newspapers which were only available in arabic. Also take your own supply of sweets and crisps as there were none available to buy.

Beautiful."

• Travel date: Wed 9th of April 2008

Hotels near Stella di Mare Grand Hotel

Stayed at Stella di Mare Grand Hotel? Share your insight.

Stella di Mare Grand Hotel is also called