We have recently updated our Privacy Policy. Click here to learn more

Movenpick Resort El Sokhna

Suez-Zaafarana Road 64 km from Suez and 110 km from Cairo, Ain Sukhna Egypt

Good

A pleasant stay!

"I am British and was so concerned by some of the other comments that I tried to cancel our stay, we did however have a pleasant stay and would like to make travelers aware of the pros and cons of this resort. I would advise this resort for romantic couples who want a quiet break, there are no distractions so if you don’t have a solid relationship this could be the breaking of it! I wouldn’t bring our kids here as they are very fair and as the previous family said rash vests are not allowed in the pool, there were not that many British families also and our kids like to socialise. Many locals use this haven for weekend and short breaks therefore you have to respect the culture, I would recommend linen trousers for the evening and higher cut tops, many of the guests have their hair covered and you do see the occasional Berkha. There is a vast selection of food in the evening buffet, this is OK but if you are a real foodie I wouldn’t come here. The rooms are clean, please put your card to clean the room outside as soon as you wake as it takes them a while to get round to this, our room wasn’t cleaned on two occasions and one day not until we ventured back around 5pm. You will also find that room service trays are not collected for up to 5 days outside rooms. There are no nasty insects as they spray the resort every couple of days. This is an inexpensive, relaxing, hot location and should be accepted for just that, don’t expect the staff to do things immediately as the pace of life is very different in Egypt"

• Travel date: Mon 10th of August 2009

Excellent - don't believe everything you read!

"It's true - "Don't believe everything you read", if I had believed what I read in the recent reviews of Moevenpick El Sokhna I would never have gone and how sad that would have been. The hotel was well equipped, clean and tidy and lived up to it's brochure listing. The food was plentiful and varied. The staff were friendly, attentive, sometimes forgetful but very apologetic once reminded but this probably can be attributed to their laid back way of life. I travelled with my family (inc 2 children aged 9 years & 12 years) and we had interconnecting rooms. The rooms were 60m square and were very well equipped, clean and more importantly cool! There were no bugs in the rooms and the only real wildlife to take any notice of were the Dolphins swimming in the Red Sea. Apart from the several bars/restaurants within the resort (hotel) there were no other places to walk to to eat & drink outside the complex but we did not find this a problem as we were there to literally relax and do nothing all week! The swimming pool was very clean and kept the children amused most of the holiday - beware of strict clothing policy within the hotel pool. We could not let the children swim in Tee shirts to protect them from the 42 degree sunshine and I'm not sure a full swim/sun suit would be acceptible either. (We survived though!). This hotel really is like a paradise in the middle of the desert but perhaps next time we would combine a calming three day stay at El Sokhna with a stay in Cairo for a bit of city life & sightseeing! Wholly recommended."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of August 2009

Wonderful Movenpick/El Sokhna

"We stayed at the hotel in mid June for three nights and had a relaxing stay. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet. The cable TV had about six English speaking channels, two news and four movies. We had a room on the ground floor about 75 meters from the pool.

The infinity pool was superb, clean, warm and perfect for our five year old son. Our son is learning to swim and he played in the kids area and the walk in slope of the main pool. There is a swim up bar and a small restaurant about 20 meters away. The life gaurds are active, and enforce the rules. The guys were up, walking around and keeping an eye on things.

The food was amazing. Our reservation included breakfast and dinner. At breakfast there are hot foods (sausages, eggs, pancakes), cold fruits, breads, cereal, an omlette chef, and my favorite part – light fruit pastries. I believe the hotel has a pastry chef on-site and he or she won’t disapoint your taste buds. At dinner there are at least 8 different salads, breads, barbequed meats and fish, many hot dishes, and many more pastries. I lived off of two meals a day. We have stayed at many hotels and the food at Movenpick was the best by far.

We were told by hotel management that the drinking water is actually from the Nile, and perfectly safe. I personally had a couple of glasses from the tap and didn’t get sick.

Beach/sea: The beach is nice at high tide, it’s all sand. At low tide there are small rocks. We rented a paddle boat and had fun. The water is very clear, visibility 5 to 8 meters (maybe more). We did see a pod of dolphins swim by. We were told that the dolpins swim by once or twice a day. The waters were calm, I didn’t worry about our son getting knocked over by waves.

The hotel has no swinging night life, no casino, nor is either within walking distance of the hotel. There is a Ramada Inn about 150 meters away and it has a small store. Other than the Ramada, there isn’t anything else on that stretch of road.

The staff was great, very friendly, and always taking care of you. Ahmed and Mohamed at the pool were playful

The hotel is a little less than two hours from Giza.

I would recommend the hotel to my friends with kids, or a couple that just wants to relax."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of August 2009

unpleasant stay and not recomended

"first of all this hotel is far beyond movenpick standards,we didn't get the service of a five star hotel by any means or even we didn't get the comfort for what we paid!!!
so in shock for the service first of all ,the rooms are ok but not clean ,no soap or shampoo in the bathrooms!!the dinning area is very small can't absorb lots of people so we were forced to have dinner outside in a hot weather like el ain sukhna weather ..
my kids got very sick ...severe daihrea and vomitting for up to four days!!!
no annimation team ,no entertainment for the kids ...
unprepared and un proffessional!!!
it's a place which doesn't deserve the name of movenpick !!!"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of July 2009

Nightmare resort.

"Nightmare resort.
I do not recommend anyone to go there, the service is really bad, I and my family had a food poison from their food. Also the hotel management used a fraud tactic, with us they did not serve us any water during the meals in which they always do (when we asked the manager) they did that so we can order battles of water and they charged us 15 Egyptian pounds for each bottle. The first two nights I have spend without water in the toilets. The rooms are really dirty even after cleaning (room service are really bad). So this is an urgent announcement for anyone who would like to go there, it’s a scam when they tell you it’s a five star resort (not even a one star),and believe me all Egyptian are famous for doing that. Now I am thinking of swing Moevenpick"

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of July 2009

Not Worth the Money

"Although ostensibly run by a European manager, nothing about this hotel lives up to its European standards. The service was bad all around, the food was mediocre at best and the choices of beverages were incredibly limited. You can try to order room service, but delivery from Cairo would probably get to you faster. Techno music blared from speakers at pool side all day and no amount of complaining convinced the general manager to change the music. His explanation was simple: "Egyptians like noise".

So, if you're willing to pay European rates for what appears to be an intentional localizing of an international brand name, this would be your hotel of choice!"

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of June 2009

I will never go thier again

"We have spent last weekend at this resort, my husband myself and our kids 3 and 5. None of us have enjoyed.

I was expecting the Moevenpick quality, however I have to say it can never be rated 5 star. When it comes to cleanness, the resort and rooms were very dirty, the room closet was full of dust, when I called the room service they would not show up, I kept waiting for 2 hours after which I decided to clean the cupboard my self. The balcony was full with layers of dust and so were the chairs and table outside. This is the dirtiest 5 star resort I’ve ever been to.

The beach is very bad with no service, however, the pool was fine.

The main restaurant is the smallest I’ve ever seen, both the breakfast and dinner buffet where very poor, dinner was very tasteless and the buffet was extremely weak; my husband and I could not eat the tastless food and we decided to go and have dinner outside the hotel. The restaurant was full with flies that were over all the food on the buffet, none of the restaurant staff seemed to care about this, and when I discussed this with one of them, he was very careless. Service is also very poor at this hotel.

No animation team was available, neither any kids programs, the kids play area and kids club are close to the main building which is far from the pool and sea. Accordingly while you are on the beach or pool, your kids can not go unaccompanied to the kids club.

I rarely write reviews, but this hotel is the worst I’ve ever been to, and I thought to share my views and experience with everyone. It charges the highest rate out of all the Sokhna resorts, and provides the poorest service ever.

I would advise everyone never to consider this hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 25th of May 2009

Very Nice Hotel

"First of all , i would like to mention that i stayed in different hotels in Sharm El Sheikh , Hurghada & outside Egypt......So i have a benchmark hotels when i wrote it.....................
The Hotel is almost new , 1.25 Hr driving from Cairo ....It has the following advantages :-

- Sandy & Calm Beach
- Variety of water sports
- Modern furniture
- WiFi
- Food is nice & Tasty
- Kids Club
- Outstanding swimming pool and it is located in a fantastic location (Inside the Sea !!!!) ...In a island.....
- Lot of green areas
- Health Club (I enjoyed the Gym )....Gym is free

Disadvantages :-

- Room service is not perfect , It takes a long time to have your room cleaned
- No orientation tour when check in

In brief the hotel is convenient for Relaxing"

• Travel date: Wed 18th of February 2009

WORST HOLIDAY EVER

"Returned from a weeks holiday over Christmas period and couldn't wait to get back home. There were so many bad experiences at this hotel that my wife and I have sent a 7 page complaint letter to the tour operator. We,ve travelled the world over the last 20 years or so, and this is the worst holiday ever. Only 3 English couples at the 200 + room hotel. Surrounded by rude and aggresive Egyptian guests who let their kids run wild, no boundaries whatsoever. Noise at 3 - 4am , no sleep. No English newspapers, no radio, no shops, no entertainment. Pool freezing.
An influx of an extra 70 guests on the 3rd day, doctors at a conference, who the hotel found difficult to cater for, as there was insufficient room in the dining room, and it was like a bun fight trying to get your food, and no possibility at all of eating your meal in peace. Lots of other things but too many to mention in this report. Avoid at all costs."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of January 2009

Very small - ok for a short getaway

"If you’re looking for a fun-packed, long recreational vacation on the Red Sea, this place is not the best choice. It is a small hotel that can be fine for a short, weekend getaway. It’s a little pricy though for the facilities and recreations available.

Food: average, not really up to Movenpick standards.

Room (standard): well-furnished with a good balcony. If you want a room with a balcony, make sure you ask for it. Not all rooms have balconies. Sea-view rooms are also hard to find. Main building is a little far from the beach.

Beach: Very small beach. Wasn’t crowded when I was there, but I’m sure it would be difficult to find room on it during high season or when hotel is fully booked.

Facilities & Recreation: no considerable recreations available at the hotel. The only good thing was the free high-speed Internet connection.

Swimming Pool: not very big. Too far from the main building."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of November 2008

Hotels near Movenpick Resort El Sokhna

Stayed at Movenpick Resort El Sokhna? Share your insight.

Movenpick Resort El Sokhna is also called