Oceana has all the facilities and choice of a superliner whilst retaining the intimacy and warmth of a smaller vessel. Her open decks offer terraced lidos, shady promenades and quiet nooks for secluded sunbathing. She also boasts a stunning Atrium, alternative dining options and beautifully spacious cabins with the luxury of a private balcony in a variety of grades.

Key details

• Registry Bermuda

Oceana traveller reviews

no hot water

Reviewed Thu 3rd of November 2016

"Apart from contracting norovirus the hot water was turned off to the cabins for last 24 hours but there was hot water in the public toilets. all customers complained of the same problem."

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of October 2016

noro virus

Reviewed Wed 16th of November 2016

"My partner contracted norovirus after 3 days was confined to the cabin with no support from medical staff.
The cabin was not cleaned only towels replaced.
buffet staff was reusing side plates without being washed. crumbs were visible on plates being handed out this was DESPITE noro virus rife throughout the ship.
The staff was unhappy and miserable.
Leaking roof in the restaurant and what a terrible time had by all that contracted the virus. It was made clear that any medical treatment would be charged for (fantastic ! poison us then charge for medical treatment) no antiseptic hand gel left in infected rooms to stop the spread of virus just the same bar of soap all week.
DISGUSTED

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of October 2016

Come on P&O get your act together

Reviewed Wed 20th of July 2016

"Having cruised on 3 previous occasions with P&O I am so disappointed with our recent cruise. We splashed out on a balcony for my husbands 50th birthday cruise and booked well in advance. This was our first mistake - booking in advance meant we paid well over the odds with very little on board credit, we know this to be true as our dinner table companions paid half the amount we did and received 3 times the on board credit by booking just 3 months in advance. Disappointing for regular travelers to be treated shoddily. Then the balcony - don't bother - you can just get two chairs on sideways and for the huge hike in price a real disappointment again.
Buffet meals were a free for all and I've seen better behaved school children in the school canteen - poor organization by P&O and poor behavior by travelers.
The Atlantic restaurant was slower than usual service resulting in a complaint to Leo Egan the 'hotel manager'. On my husbands birthday I bought '50' balloons - 1 was put up which promptly fell down - what happened to the other 5 I have no idea.
On our disembarkation morning we had breakfast in the Ligurian and after asking waiters supervisors and manager we left without tea or coffee - on requesting to speak to Leo Egan again I was left feeling 'well it's your last morning - off you go we've had your money now'
Our shower was cold and on reporting it a second time we came back and found a new shower unit - clearly faulty and must have been before we embarked. Toilet refused to flush on several days and reported numerous times.
Public toilets at rear of ship were rarely serviced and I personally reported them on 3 occasions !
Entertainment quality has also declined hugely - thank goodness we had Jeff Dingle on the first half of the cruise
The saving grace was the itinerary which I couldn't fault - with some gorgeous ports of call which I will revisit

Come on P&O get your act together you're better than this !

• Travel date: Tue 19th of July 2016

This is NOT the life.

Reviewed Wed 6th of July 2016

"My fourth cruise. Have been on Thomson, Royal Caribbean and twice with P&O, the most recent on Oceana from Genoa for 2 weeks last 2 weeks of June 2016.

Positives: great cruise itinerary, scenic, lots of opportunities to go ashore either on excursions or individually. Great weather and smooth sail.

Negatives: Continuous work , seen/unseen on promenade deck for much of cruise, which meant large part of the deck closed to passengers daily. Food standards have slipped greatly. Waiting and cabin staff seem to work tirelessly without any break, resulting in often miserable and inefficient service, especially in restaurants. No sense of luxury. During our cruise there were four sea days and we were unable to find two vacant sun beds at all despite continued announcements addressing this issue. We were not alone. Music round pool area inappropriately blaring at times. Plaza buffet restaurant no better than pool. Facilities did not meet the number of passengers on board.

Sadly P&O let us down, overall feeling cheated. I was anticipating a little luxury. This is what I have worked hard for all year. This should have been the life, instead often felt more like Butlins on Water. Shove them in, and get them to spend, spend, spend.

Having now read earlier reviews, it's clear P&O are not reading them, or simply don't care.

Sorry to say, do lots of research before you book.

• Travel date: Thu 30th of June 2016

Enjoyable trip

Good
Reviewed Wed 29th of June 2016

"Joined the ship in Genoa .Checking etc was efficient. First impressions were good. Cabin in front of ship was spacious and very clean. Staff were so friendly, would find it difficult to be so friendly if I was in their positions for so long. Breakfasts were adequate as was buffet during the day. Food was available all day . We enjoyed the BBQ. Evening meals were excellent with a great choice . All were well presented and very tasty. In the 14 days there was only 1 main course that I did not like and that was my taste rather than anything wrong with the food. Took the 12 day wine offer and we had a great choice of white and red. Shows in both theaters were very good as was the music in the various areas of the ship. Drink prices were reasonable. Only complaint on this was that the same drought beer was not available in all the bars. Mainly three drought beers available so I had to change choice depending on where I was . One evening all bars were out of drought beer so had to resort to bottle beer which I don't really like. On our last night from Ajaccio to Genoa the trip was a little rough and we were told we probably in worst sleeping area for rough seas."

• Travel date: Thu 23rd of June 2016

Oceana May 25th

Good
Reviewed Wed 22nd of June 2016

"As a sufferer of anxiety, panic attacks and emetophobia- this cruise was a massive step for me to take part in. We were in a cabin at the back of the ship on deck 10, which i was already anxious about as its not recommended to take a cabin near the front or back as the movement of the ship is felt much more prominently than in the middle. The places we visited I was looking forward too so much, but as we went in May and the weather wasn't to the best of its potential it rained a lot and it was very cloudy, also the places we visited weren't too exciting, one visit we sat in a cafe for an hour and then gave up and had to go back in the rain, another visit we walked around some backstreets and realized there was nothing around to look at then had to go back to the ship- everyday we were back on the ship sunbathing by around 10-half 10. Apart from that aspect i managed to pick up some lovely souvenirs which were so inexpensive and unique. The sleeping aspect wasn't so great, I had to share a single bed with my boyfriend as his brother used the bunk above our bed and the bed besides our bed was so creaky, even after we got our cabin steward to check upon this minor issue, it was still unresolved so we just left it as he was adamant it was okay when really it wasn't. We woke up every hour practically pushing each other out of bed. Touching on the homophobic and anxiety side, it was damn hard. Everyone had comforted me before i left saying i wouldn't feel it and it would be peachy and fine- but the last three nights me and my boyfriend lay in bed all night, waiting to throw up, we'd taken sea sickness tablets and the boat was rocking side to side, our room was creaking and my boyfriend, who has been on cruise ships for five years, once said "do you think we'll actually go over". It was a very scary experience and anyone knows that when you're panicking you feel like you're in the worst situation ever- that's how it felt with the boat rocking, however, don't let this put you off as I know for a fact I'm not sea sick i was just a tad motion sickness, if you're going on a cruise and you end up in this situation don't try to distract yourself just take some tablets, have a mint, sip some water and just go to sleep. The pool and sunbathing facilities on the ship are the best they could possibly be. Pools catering to young children and older people which i thought was nice and thoughtful. the Jacuzzi were so relaxing and sunbathing was allover a nice experience. The food was good too. the buffet Id give about a 6/10. the breakfasts and the desserts were the best but the nights for example dedicated to seafood or Indian cuisine left me eating bread and butter all night as them types of things don't appeal to me. The restaurant however was so lovely, having five courses, which you could skip out on any considering if you liked them or not then head off to the buffet if nothing appealed to you, the meals were lovely and not filling which meant you could most likely cram all five in. All in all this was a lovely holiday it was just such a shame that the wind and the choppy seas on the last three days filled me with so much panic and anxiousness and that the visitation places weren't as mesmerizing and serene as i thought they'd be. "

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of June 2016

Anaphylaxis due to incompetence

Reviewed Wed 22nd of June 2016

"This boat is tired and dated with terrible drains and toilet issues but the main issue was the fact they fed my highly allergic daughter a soup that contained milk which required adrenaline and hospitalization. This was total incompetence and the fact we had to run our very poorly daughter down from deck 11 to deck 4 only compounded the horrific nature of this mistake. It ruined our holiday, terrified my daughter and could have resulted in her death had i not acted as fast as I did with her epi pen. The staff in the restaurant and the medical center were very friendly and attentive but on a ship that advertises it can manage a dairy free diet, it was a disgrace that after only 3 days my 9 year old daughter was in hospital on board and WE HAD TO PAY!"

• Travel date: Thu 2nd of June 2016

Health hazard

Reviewed Thu 7th of April 2016

"This is a first review until I put my complaints in writing to P&O.
My husband and I had traveled before with P&O and enjoyed ourselves. However, this cruise was mediocre to say the least and the only good thing about it was the staff who tried their best to accommodate clients.

I suffered from a health hazard incurred in my cabin and had to attend the doctor and this ruined my cruise. The air con then gave me a severe cold.

I will write a further review when P&O respond to my letter. I was not going to bother until I read the account of P&O's recent inspection!"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of April 2016

Voting with our feet!

Reviewed Wed 23rd of March 2016

"We sailed with P&O on the Oceana, leaving Southampton on 8th February (during storm Imogen) and returned on 14th March 2016.
The ship is not too large and has reasonable facilities, with helpful staff.
We had a balcony cabin on deck 11, right at the back of the ship, which is not to be recommended during stormy waters, as it moves quite a lot!
We made the mistake of crossing the Atlantic in February/March, and found the crossings (3 days to Madeira and then a further 5 days to St Lucia) somewhat tedious, especially since we were unable to access the outside decks during the bad weather. On our return we had 6 days at sea to The Azores and then a further 3 days to Southampton.
We decided quite early on that we would vote with our feet, and never book with P&O again! Having cruised on Oriana 3 years previously, we were amazed at the reduction of standards since our last cruise.
Our first impression didn't help, when it took us 2.5 hours to check in at Southampton. Many apologies for the delay were given, but no explanations! When we eventually asked reception on the ship to tell us why we were delayed so long, they explained that it was their new system, and this was the third time they had tried it, and each time there had been delays!
Having asked for a table for 2 in the dining room, we were seated at a table for 6, at which each couple had asked for a table for 2. However we were told that there were only 2 tables for 2 at each setting, and they are allocated to guests who book as soon as the new brochure is published. Perhaps P&O should look at providing more tables for 2 if there is such a demand!
The choice of food in the dining room was disappointing with a lot of red meat, watery frozen vegetables, and stodgy potatoes that didn't look or taste like potatoes! Frozen green beans every night!
Food in the Plaza was plentiful, if a bit repetitive, and of medium quality, certainly not something to look forward to each day.
Seats in the theaters were often hard to come by as people made sure they had their seat at least an hour before a performance began, sitting, reading a book whilst waiting, with little conversation taking place.
In each port, if other ships were there, Oceana had the worst berth, industrial estate, working dock etc, but even, when tendering, we were the furthest away!
Getting off the ship was always a but fight, with people pushing and shoving to make sure they were first off! However the debacle of New Orleans had nothing to do with crotchety old people, but much to do with lack of forethought by ship's staff. We had been warned that it would take a while and that the process of face to face immigration in the USA is slow. When were told to collect poor passports and proceed to immigration half an hour earlier than we had been told to report, we were happy! Once we reached the area where we were to collect our passports the fun began! Hundreds of people queuing with no order, and we were told off for coming down too early, even though an announcement had been made! From being told to collect our passports to the time we exited the terminal took 1.5 hours, but other people took up to 6 hours. It would have been more sensible for us to have collected our passports the day before, during a sea day.
We had been told that our overnight stay in Charleston had been cancelled due to a problem with the booking of the berth. We had a 5 day crossing to the Azores ahead of us, but the solution to the problem was to give us an extra day at sea! No understandable reason was given about this, just general mumbling from the inarticulate captain, who could not give a daily briefing without summing and erring!
With an unfortunate engine problem on our last couple of days, we arrived late in Southampton and were happy to disembark, never to return! Once again this was a shambles because of the late arrival, more people were self-help disembarkation, but then the area we were told to gather in was inadequate for the number of people.
Our impression was one of no proactive management and a general air of no supervision."

• Travel date: Sun 20th of March 2016

Cruise on Oceana

Reviewed Tue 19th of January 2016

"Paid a lot of money for a single balcony cabin only to find I couldn't sit out on it. It was very dirty & rusty even the floor had dried up paint on it. Never thought I would have to complain about dirt on P & O but they don't seem to care that you have paid for something unusable."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of January 2016

Get your act together P&O

Reviewed Thu 7th of January 2016

"We left Southampton December 21st and was shocked at the condition of the ship and our balcony cabin. Dinner was a joke, I like small portions but king prawn appetizer was just that, one king prawn!! Christmas Dinner was the final straw one hard boiled potato and 3 almost raw sprouts. I then went down with a flu virus and stayed in bed for 8 days. The loo played up sometimes flushing sometimes not, then overflowed into the bathroom!! They had to send people in to get the water up, just what you want when you are ill. I listened to many P&O customers who said this was the worst cruise ever. I've been on several cruises but this was bargain basement at top dollar prices. Staff did not interact and seemed to just want to take orders ASAP. Cafe Jardin was dreadful. Entertainment the little I saw was very low standard. I was so looking forward to this trip and expected such a high standard from P&O, will never travel with them again"

• Travel date: Thu 7th of January 2016

Worst xmas and new year of my entire life on the Oceana

Reviewed Thu 7th of January 2016

"After looking forward to a lovely Xmas and new year on the Oceana what a total disappointment. The ship is dark rusty and tired. The food good, but unfortunately only on a couple of days and repetitive and boring most of the others. Entertainment so bad never been so bored in my life had better fun at a n old folks Xmas party. The whole team need to go to drama school for lessons on how to have fun, not a boring quiz every single day and most days it was that bad they decide to have another one or even two. The pantomime was that bad it made you laugh or you would of cried it was pathetic. Most people I spoke to felt the same. First time with P&O never never again. The daily program was just about identical from day one to the end. Also take note don't book rooms on deck 8 aft no peace if you go back to your cabin for you can hear the rehearsals full blast rubbish then again from 10.30 . Enough said pleases to be back home and enjoying life again. P&O hang your head for a ship full of c*** and even that was coming up through the toilets on deck 5. Beware you have been warned."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of January 2016

Other P&O Cruises ships

Stayed on Oceana ? Share your insight.