Royal Viking

Nile Cruises

Royal Viking traveller reviews

Amazing Holiday

Reviewed Thu 11th of July 2013

"A friend and I spent a week on the Royal Viking at the beginning of May. It was beautiful. The boat was very clean, and the staff cannot do enough for you. This was my third trip on the boat, and next year all being well, it will be my fourth... The food is great - I had salad everyday - try the fresh feta (my favourite). The jelly like puddings were not to my taste though, and these appeared at every meal.
The drinks were reasonably priced, and the fresh squeezed orange juice was particularly refreshing.
The tours were informative, each year I have had a different guide, they all seem to focus on different things so there was something new to learn at every place.
The people selling things are trying to make a living in difficult times, be prepared to haggle if you want something, if you don't want to buy, keep your eyes down and carry on walking. DO NOT engage in conversation if you do not want to buy - this only creates false hope for the seller. Also remember, this is how these people feed their families - it is not designed as a personal irritation.
Finally, the private dock near Luxor Bridge was new to me this year - previously we had docked outside Luxor Temple -I wasn't sure if I would like being away from the town; it was marvellous, and the small café serving Turkish coffee and mint tea whilst you lounge on benches the size of small beds was heavenly - I can't think of a nicer way to end the evenings, all of this in a small garden lit up beautifully next to the Nile river. Looking forward to next year already."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of July 2013

A trip of a lifetime on the Royal Viking Nile cruise boat

Reviewed Thu 12th of July 2012

"This boat has been refurbished and is one of the best on the Nile. We spent 7 nights on the boat, enjoying a fabulous cruise down the river from Luxor to Aswan and back. If you have the slightest interest in Ancient Egyptian history, you must do this trip. The boat was kept beautifully clean, the cabins were very comfortable with sliding doors to get the full view of the river scenery,a modern bathroom, very comfortable beds and Air Con if required. Food was plentiful and catered for all tastes, breakfast lunch and evening mealplus afternoon tea if sailing. Staff were so friendly always smiling and happy to help.We went with Discover Egypt who we felt really looked after us from our arrival at the airport to our departure - if they could have escorted us on to the plane they would have! For me it was a trip of a lifetime as I have always wanted to see the ancient sites. My husband too thought it an amazing holiday, even though he didn't know a great deal about the history. Our guides throughout the cruise and in Cairo, where we spent a further 3 nights, were so knowledgeable and enthusiastic about their subject that you couldn't fail to be drawn in.
The only drawback to the whole holiday was the constant harrassment of the pedlars at the sites. Eyes down and walk straight through them was the order of the day! You get used to them and they just become part of the scene.
somewhere you must visit is Abu Simbel and the temples of Ramesses II and his wife Nefertari. Well worth getting up at 3am, for the 3 hours each way coach trip ... but back in time for lunch!"

• Travel date: Thu 12th of July 2012

Other Nile Cruises ships

Stayed on Royal Viking ? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Royal Viking

• "Enjoy all that the boat has to offer…"

Vampyra71 by Vampyra71
  • "Be prepared for early morning starts to make the most of the trips before it gets too hot or crowded…"

Jen W by Jen W