Karim and Juliana Palace s

Nile Cruises

The Karim and Juliana Palace are identical ships, both small and comfortable and distinctly created to provide the privacy, elegance and luxury. They were designed and built in 1984 and renovated in 2004, and appointed to be as the large ships on the Nile. All public areas are air-conditioned. There is a 24 hour reception available to the guests, for whatever needs they would require.

Karim and Juliana Palace s traveller reviews

Avoid at all costs

Reviewed Tue 3rd of January 2012

"I didn't believe the previous reviews, and having been on two Nile Cruises before, I expected something good to write home about.
Unfortunately, the only good thing I can say about this ship is the view.
Cleaning staff were always hanging about when we went back to our room after they had 'cleaned' it - asking if we liked the towel arrangements - waiting for a tip. The only evidence of cleaning I found was that the bins had been emptied and the towels rearranged.
The toilet in our room stopped working every day, and we had to get someone to fix it. By day four (23rd December) I got ill. This meant my Christmas Eve was spent in a room which had no working toilet, and the vent sucked all the sewer smells into the bathroom. As this was on the side of the room furthest from the door, the only way to freshen the room was to keep the door open - with the cleaning staff hovering outside all the time.
The food was bland, and with chicken and beef or chicken and liver in various guises being the only choices for lunch and dinner over the whole week.
The bar staff were generally good, but one in particular was always trying to make a deal, i.e. we pay him cash instead of it going on our room. Another time I saw him empty the remains of once persons drink into the cocktail shaker, and then add a few more bits of lemon and water before serving to another customer!!!
The package we had was confusing, with drinks being free during certain times (during one of which, the above mentioned staff tried to get us to pay cash for)
OK it wasn't one of the more expensive packages, but I do expect at least a basic level of hygiene - this was woefully lacking. I didn't expect to return from a holiday at Christmas with a weight loss!!
With the downturn in tourism, they should be doing all they can for return custom or recommendation. Sorry - not from me."

• Travel date: Thu 29th of December 2011

juliana Palace

Reviewed Fri 9th of September 2011

"i was in in juliana Palace i like the the service and the best thing was the bazaar the price was fair and the goods were original and the salesman was good and honest man his name was (Ahmed) his nick name is dody

i will come soon to Luxor "

• Travel date: Sun 4th of September 2011

Great holiday on the Juliana Palace Nile Cruise

Reviewed Mon 1st of December 2008

"Firstly please disregard older reviews that are negative, we had a great time on the Juliana Palace and would defenatly go back on her.

She is an older ship and yes there are more luxurious on the Nile but with regard to value for money I could not fault it. Listing as 4* is pushing it a bit I would say more 3* plus.

We booked two weeks fully expecting it to be substandard and having to find other accommodation for the second week, we could not have been more wrong

I was advised that she had a refit approximately 6 months ago and most of the negative feedback has been made prior to the improvements.

Cabin:- was small and clean but it did have the most comfortable mattress and quilt ( all new as far as I could tell) bathroom very small and needing some attention, e.g. bath/shower chipped and shower hanging off the wall but our cabin steward did all he could to look after us, towel arrangements on beds are so much fun but I think we exhausted his talents having stayed for two weeks. I would recommend that the front, right hand side of the ship is best due to engine noise at the back and town noise on the left when in Luxor can be a bit of a pain.

Pool area:- again was nice and clean with new wicker furniture and sun a bed, pool however was clean but cold (would have been nice to have it slightly heated) hence we only paddled. We did have a large amount of Germans onboard in the first week and they were doing what they do best, however on the second week it appears that they were advised that towels were not to be left on sun beds and we did see an improvement.

Lounge area:- very comfortable and cozy, entertainment on three nights, Nubian show, Belly dancing and Galabia night added to this they did put on a disco most other nights.

Dining room:- again clean, buffet style with the occasional set menu, the food was varied and of a reasonable standard (as long as you like chicken) as this was presented in various forms on most meals.

All Inclusive:- We would not do this again, it did seam to cause a bit of confusion as it is only available for the three days at sea and then only from 1pm till 7pm, we were aware of this but quite a few other passengers were not. Drinks onboard were not too expensive 70p bottle water, £2.00 large bottle beer.

Staff:- staff could not do enough for us, a few in particular were extra special and we were really sad to say "goodbye" to them. Ivan in the shop was nice and helpful. Do treat yourself to a massage, its cheep and sooooo relaxing.

The sister ship Karim Palace returned to Luxor the day before we departed and as far as we could tell she is identical. I am not able to comment if the staff were as good as the Juliana but I am sure they are.

If you are looking for a Nile Cruise on a budget then I don't think you can go far wrong with the Juliana Palace, very good value for money.

• Travel date: Mon 1st of December 2008

I wouldn't recomend this holiday to anyo...

Reviewed Fri 26th of September 2008

"I wouldn't recomend this holiday to anyone we were on the Karim Palace. Food was minging thank god there was a Mcdonalds in Luxor otherwise we would of starved. The highlights of the rooms were the towel sculptures they leave on the bed ........... thats it. Had my first and last body massage which I didn't think it was appropriate, mind you i've never had one before but I didn't think it was normal. The staff were pervy and creepy along with the majority of the egyptian male population. When I got home thats when my holiday started. Nightmare didn't end there. Two months after getting back watching itv's "Holiday cruises from Hell" there was the Karim Palace in all its grubby glory."

• Travel date: Fri 26th of September 2008

Be under no illusions, the Karim Palace...

Reviewed Wed 23rd of July 2008

"Be under no illusions, the Karim Palace is not a luxury cruise liner, if you are looking for that then the Karim Palace is not for you. Also if you do book the all inclusive package, make sure you know EXACTLY what All Inclusive means before you travel. These are not negative comments. The Karim Palace cruise takes you around some of the most amazing sites the world has to offer, although watch out for the street vendors and Bazaars around the entrances to the sites, particularly at Edfu Temple. On board the boat, the staff could not be faulted, they were helpful but more importantly Very Polite and Curteous. My room was cleaned at least twice every day. The rooms are rather small, but at the same time have all that you need. because of the boat set-up every room has an outward facing door meaning that you can stand outside your room to look out rather than having to go to the top deck as you do on most other nile cruisers.

As for the itinerary, the excursions were all early starts meaning we were not exposed to the heat of the early afternoon. As for optional excursions, I recommend Abu Simbel, either by air or by bus. It is an expensive one, but if you budget for it before you go it is well worth the money.

Anyone planning a cruise to Egypt i would happilly recommend the Karim Palace. Indeed were i to go on the cruise again I would definately go on the Karim Palace again."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of July 2008

We've just arrived back from a 7 nights...

Reviewed Tue 10th of June 2008

"We've just arrived back from a 7 nights Nile Cruise. Originally we were supposed to go on Karim (broken down), but luckily we have been transfered to Pricess Amira.
We had full board (drinks not included) and the food was very very good! The boat was very modest and clean. There was a good size swiming pool on the deck and plenty of space for sunbathing and relaxing. Cabins were spacious and had air conditioning, tv, phone, hair dryer and a fridge in. Staff was friendly and very helpful, loved to joke with them. During our 7 nights stay we had 2 Egyptian nights followed by a great party :) It was a shame we could not party more...
Drinks were a bit expensive, but affordable.
I would recommend to everyone and I am looking forward to go back on this ship with my partner and my parents later on this year!"

• Travel date: Tue 10th of June 2008

we enjoyed are stay on the karim with...

Reviewed Sun 25th of May 2008

we enjoyed are stay on the karim with many thanks to the staff for there helpfulness, steve is ill and without there kindness the holiday would have been hard for me. the chef is lovely and kind very caring, he went out of his way to help people.

The house keeping staff where lovely, I love the decorations on the bed I think its very sweet and kind. when your away from home and its nice to feel made at home.

If the accomadation is not quite what you would require, remeber a holiday is what you make it, if you really want to enjoy the holiday you will, after all a holday is for a rest leave your troubles be hind and enjoy. just enjoy the lovely veiws in peace and go home refreshed.

I would like to go back, I am just taking each day as it comes, as steve is ill.

The manager is a very kind man, and made sure steve was looked after, cruising is a way for disabled people to enjoy there holiday, with a compacted ship the personal touch and care is there. The ship could do with a little more T L C but I like the ship to stay just as it is. With many thanks to you Annette "

• Travel date: Sun 25th of May 2008

I had not read any reviews before I went...

Reviewed Sat 17th of May 2008

"I had not read any reviews before I went, but the Karim Palace is cheap and dirty!

I am well travelled and have been on another (good) Nile Cruise so I can compare subjectively.

Rooms were dusty and not cleaned. Instead the staff took more pride in making shapes out of towels.

Walls between bathrooms were so thin I could hear neighbours brushing teeth. No extractor fan or windows and mouldy walls. Public toilet was disgusting.

Most of the exclusively male crew ogled at every woman they saw, smoked constantly and would rip you off at the first opportunity (one of our friends was charged £13 for a tea-towel). Crew were also noisy all night without consideration for people sleeping. However the cook and the waiters were very nice people.

Kitchen visually looked okay, but almost everyone I got to know (about 8 couples) had stomach problems while on board. Food tasted bland.

Tips were suggested by the rep at the end of the cruise - asking for £42 per couple for crew and another £28 for the rep/tour guide. I've been in many better hotels, cruises and had better tour guides and never been asked for undeserved tips so blatantly and such an amount. Tips should be for good/exceptional service - not for paying the staff wages out of guilt. (That's my view anyway).

I also found another link which I should have looked at too before booking: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1524642/Nile-cruise-hygiene-hazards-exposed-by-TV-scientist.html

The only consolation is that we met nice tourists on board, and saw the amazing sights of Egypt. We also got a 7 night package at a very good price, so we accepted it as getting what we paid for. However we'll always remember this boat of its lack of hygiene and some rude staff including manager when we complained about the noise at 12:15am because we had to be ready for an excursion at 3:30am.

• Travel date: Sat 17th of May 2008

The nile cruise was amazing, But be awar...

Reviewed Sat 3rd of May 2008

"The nile cruise was amazing, But be aware the criuse ship the Karim palace and juliana palace the sister ship are not 4star as stated. Our cabin was small but functional you don't spend time in cabin, I took cleaning wipes with me and had to clean our cabin bathroom and room before I unpacked, the wardrobe and draws were dusty and the bathroom needed a steam clean!
The rest of the boat was clean and tidy, the look of the ship is old and seemed to resemble agatha cristie style ship ( death on the nile ) we had a nile view which was spectacular
the food was limited but nice and edible ( no upset tummies ) from the food or drink.
All inclusive is not the same as we know it on the boat, it consists of free drinks at breakfast, lunch and dinner and only 3 days while sailing! the rest of the time you pay for your drinks , but at a very resonable price.
My husband had an upset tummy on the 4th day this was not due to the food and drink, we think it was handling the money, no one else on the boat was sick .
the manager was very worried about hubby he asked if he needed a doctor which we said no. but they did give my husband tablets that worked better than imodium plus. due to an upset tummy our bathroom was litterally scrubed by the cabin crew, who were amazing and friendly. I would recomend this cruise it was very good and worth the money . Our tour guide Radwan was superb, spoke good english and knew what he was talking about throughout the tours."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of May 2008

Previous to our Nile Cruise I read some...

Reviewed Sat 3rd of May 2008

"Previous to our Nile Cruise I read some of the remarks made by previous passengers. A group of 8 very young OAP went on this holiday and yes we did have tummy trouble and some needed a doctor. However, we were experiencing temperatures averaging 45 degrees centigrade - a temperature I might add we are not used to. I know my probelm was heat exhaustion and not a tummy bug.
I recognise some of the faults mentioned in the reviews but we still had a great time. The staff were great, our rooms were cleaned out daily. A friend had a birthday on board and the cook made here a special cake and the housekeeping staff decorated her room. The dining staff also sung to her - everyone joined in and it really made her birthday.
The tours were fantastic if not a little hectic - but we knew that before we went. Victor our guide was brilliant - knew his stuff but was happy to have a laugh with us. Being a very small boat everyone on board were friendly. Yes we saw bigger boats but they didn't always look better than ours and of course, they would have been much more than we paid for our trip.

We did all the trips including Abu Simbel and even went up in an Hot Air Balloon(I was nervouse but it was fabulous) The sights we saw made us appreciate our lifestyle back home.

When my friends were ill the staff were very caring - in fact the Captain himself came to check on one lady. The cook was helpful in advising us what to eat if anyone had a problem. The food was not haute cuisine but very edible and we must also remember we are in a h foreign and hot country and food has to be different.

I am very well travelled abd all things considering myself and friends had a great time and an experience not to be missed."

• Travel date: Sat 3rd of May 2008

The best holiday we have had! Yes the bo...

Reviewed Sun 27th of April 2008

"The best holiday we have had! Yes the boat wasn't as grand as some of the others, but it least it had character, unlike the other boats which resembled floating boxes.

It is certainly not a luxury boat, but what really made the holiday was the wonderful staff. The waiters/bar staff really looked after everyone, the chef and manager were fantastic and the food was very good. Everyone was really looked after on the cruise and this more than made up for anything the boat lacked. Yes it may look a little tired, but it was clean and comfortable.

If I go on another Nile Cruise, I will definitely be going back to the Karim Palace.

• Travel date: Sun 27th of April 2008

We had a 2 week break in Egypt this Marc...

Reviewed Fri 25th of April 2008

"We had a 2 week break in Egypt this March. The first week was spent on the Karim Palace, while I am in total agreement that this boat is certainly not a palace, we had the most fantastic holiday we have ever had.
Yes, the boat needs a refurb, yes the carpets are a little bare and the curtains do fall off the rail, yes the toilet did block at times, but none of this took the shine of a truly incredible holiday in a beautiful country.
If you are looking to be pampered in luxury accomodation, this is the wrong boat for you. If you are looking for a break with attentive, friendly staff, great guides and lovely people then take this trip.
Don't think QE2, think the boat from the film Death on the Nile with a little bit of Fawlty Towers mixed in and you'll be okay.
If I could go back tomorrow and do it all over again I would."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of April 2008

Other Nile Cruises ships

Stayed on Karim and Juliana Palace s? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Karim and Juliana Palace s

• "take plent y of hygiene wipes…"

Discerningdoll by Discerningdoll