Marella Celebration

The Celebration offers the same spacious surroundings, friendly atmosphere, well-appointed facilities and warm memories for which Thomson Cruises are renowned. Wherever you want to cruise, you'll enjoy modern facilities including a two-story show lounge, a fully-fitted health club overlooking the ocean, and 24 hour dining.

Key details

3.5
Above average
Good

Our 25th Wedding Anniversary

"This was our first ever cruise and we loved it. The cabin was very clean and Sunil our Cabin Steward really looked after my husband very well. He's diabetic. The food was amazing and the entertainment was brilliant. Montenegro was awesome. We had Captain Jason for the first week and Captain Hugh for the second. Both very able and competent masters. The Captains Gala Evenings were outstanding and special. We can't wait to book the next one."

• Travel date: Fri 14th of October 2016

A great 2 weeks on Thomson Celebration

"Traveled with my sister on back to back cruises in June 2016. Adriatic Affair and Taste of the Adriatic .Everything went very well, from easy check-in at Gatwick to the return to Gatwick. Our luggage was taken and we next saw it in our Cabin. We were on the Dreamliner, a short flight of only 2 1/2 hours, but what a wonderful plane. I had just flown from Canada and wish I had traveled in this plane! We had Cabin 139, an outside Deluxe which was set up with twin beds. Two wardrobes, a sofa, fridge and windows as opposed to Portholes. There was a bath with a shower. More than enough room for our luggage and clothes in the wardrobe and toiletries in the bathroom. We were provided with soap, towels, changed as needed, shampoo, conditioned. We had a bathrobe each. We had a squeak from the mirror area and as soon as we reported this the Receptionist and engineers went out of their way to fix it. We also received a bottle of bubbly and strawberries in apology. Only negative to this room is that it is on Floor 7 right above Broadway on 5, no rooms on 6 as it is the ceiling of Broadway. We did hear the rehearsals in the afternoon if we were there around 4 and could hear the shows. However, everything was usually quiet after 11.30. There was a laundry which was great. Food was excellent. I appreciate the portion size as I do not feel bad if I eat 3 or 4 courses, normally I have 1 at home. Excursions were mainly good. I have found on all my vacations that you will get the odd guide who I do not enjoy, Information overload., A slow talker/walker etc. but their tip is lower or non existant for that. We enjoyed meeting new people every night at dinner in The Meridian and if on board at lunch, ate a salad in the Lido. Usual challenge to find sunbeds. Spa was enjoyable, though find it very expensive. I go to a good Spa in Canada, but prices on Thomson ships are twice the price. Went on changeover day with a discount. Entertainment was excellent. Thomson always puts on a good show and a good variety. "

• Travel date: Wed 5th of October 2016

Great time again.

"Following our brilliant time on the old Island Escape last summer - our first cruise, we couldn't wait to book again for this year. So we (My wife and I and another couple that we have been holidaying with for years) chose the Celebration doing the Taste of the Adriatic itinerary. Another fantastic time has had by all, great friendly, well organized staff, the usual bit dated but spotlessly clean cabin and decor, good entertainment, lovely weather, lovely destinations, lots to do and endless amounts to eat and drink! The think is this - YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! Thompson's cruises are not about how expensive your suit or shoes are and who's on the better deck. There are no airs and graces on board just friendly polite people all wanting to have a great time and see a bit more of the worlds treasures. Its brilliant! If you want posh and modern fine, I like a bit of that too and we can afford it, but you will need to dig deeper into your pockets for that and many financially comfortable guests that I spoke to had already experienced that and returned to good old Thompsons.
The only disappointment we had was that we missed the hilarious Ross Roberts, the camp entertainments 'Director' form the Escape - no one could replace him! And only one work of caution - avoid the so called Three Island Excursion from Valletta. It was actually only one island - Gozo, not a power boat, 4x4's were tiny un-rodworthy twenty year old Vitara's and nothing short of DANGEROUS!!! Other than that our holiday was brilliant. Looking to do another with Thomo's next year : ))"

• Travel date: Sun 28th of August 2016

Virus

Good

"Having read Andrea Q review, unfortunately I was also a victim of the virus that was going around Thompson Celebration at the same time, July 14th _ 21st, we boarded the ship and were both in high spirits after having spent our first week in Dubrovvnik, it was our 5th cruise with Thomsons and we knew from past experiences that we were going to have a great time. The first day was great even though we hit a storm but was only a small storm, the bar's throughout the ship were all full but everyone was enjoying themselves the first day we got ashore went smoothly, got back on board but the restaurant was no longer self service and even the napkins were now paper serviettes, we could not touch anything even salt were small salt packets, I thought the ship was preparing for stormy weather as this is how we used to prepare our selves in the RN , but later I learn it was because of the stomach virus going about. The next couple of days we were careful and enjoying ourselves, the bar's, the casino the shows, all excellent entertainment, I must say everything was as we expected, until I became poorly, the morning we docked in Venice I reported to the medical center and my wife and I were quarantined for 24 hours, no VENICE for us, the next day I was still poorly so it was now a further 12 hours, 36 hours in total missed out on 2 visits and when we were released still not feeling fit but stomach ok, 3 days later we were really looking forward to home. The medical staff were excellent everything was done to try and keep it under control, but it was mainly the passengers NOT washing there hands as requested. "

• Travel date: Wed 3rd of August 2016

Cabin 562

"I have been cruising since 2005 using what was described as the easy going type cruise. I've used Thomsons ships, Island Escape,The Spirit & Celebration. As always there are things that could be better, I've always enjoyed my time on my many cruise itineraries. I have got into a habit of pre booking a cabin, picking a quiet location, this year a big mistake. I've just return from a 2 week holiday on the celebration, my worst holiday in many years. It seems that cabin 562 is directly under the galley and to make it even worse the bakery. So not only do they work all day but as a bakery all night as well . I can only describe the noise like a train running across the cabin ceiling. I continually complained, with no chance to move cabin as the ship was full ! While the staff seemed to do what they could , I was told we need bread. So we had very little or no sleep for 7 nights before a cabin move a spoil holiday. I since seen other reviews going back to 2011 with exactly the same complaints. It seems that Thomson are not bothered about the customer just the money knowing they are about to spoil someone's holiday. I received £168 on the ship as compensation. I would have much sooner had sleep and a relaxing holiday, it was little in terms of what I feel I missed from a holiday. SO PLEASE BE WARNED CABIN 562."

• Travel date: Sun 31st of July 2016

Worst holiday ever!

"Our first week on the Celebration was what we had come to expect from Thomson from our previous 3 cruises and we thought that this year would be no exception. How wrong we were! Things started to go wrong on the second day of the 2nd week which was an 'At Sea' day when the ship ran into a storm in the Adriatic. The next day was fine we had an excursion booked but we noticed when we went for afternoon tea on our return that we could no longer serve ourselves and that all serving staff in the Lido restaurant were wearing plastic gloves. We knew straightaway that there must be a Gastro infection on board and sure enough we received a letter to the cabin saying there was a Norovirus outbreak.

On Monday my son took not well and was quarantined for 24 hours, on Tuesday it was my husband's turn to get it and we were both confined to our cabin, then on Wednesday I took it but this was our last day! I was still not well at 10 pm and the nurse said I needed be to free for 12 hours from the virus to be able to fly. We were told not to put our cases out the night before as we would have to go to a clinic in Dubrovnik the next morning. At 8 am my son, husband and myself were told to take our cases to the medical clinic and there would be another person there too, There were actually 5 other passengers and their families (12 in total) by the time a mini bus came to take us to a clinic at 1.45 pm. The Social/Welfare hostess said that if we were required to stay overnight in Dubrovnik we would stay in the a medical center in Dubrovnik and Thomson would pay and that their local agent would arrange flights and hotels. But once we were left at the Clinic this wasn't the case. Luckily I was passed fit to fly and so was another gentleman. We were told where the nearest travel agent was and to organize our own flights home. We couldn't get a direct flight to Glasgow but could get a flight to Gatwick then onto Glasgow but it was leaving at 5 and this was 3.20 pm. So we quickly paid for this with our credit card a sum of £745 for the 3 of us and took a taxi to the airport another £35. I just wanted to get home. I was told to claim for the expenses on my insurance. But this has left me with a very dim view of Thomson as I don't think they could get rid of us quick enough.

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of July 2016

enjoyed majesty better

"Flight good transfer to ship a bit slow road problems at port 2hour wait on coach with 8 coaches in Que no explanation no water very bad cabin nice, cabin staff very good, staff not as friendly as majesty, food good, waiter service in restaurant very good Roberto and his team, entertainment team good, not so sure of entertainment manager, shows canceled times changed without warning not good, not so much going on as majesty entertainment many times nothing on no bar waiter service on sun deck or adult pool deck poor enjoyed cruise but would not do celebration again hope when majesty goes replacement will be just as friendly, one more yo,ri am diabetic and soft drinks limited to coke light no light upright or light Fanta, as government is promoting sugar free Thomson should take lead, toilets in public areas many problems often not working."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of July 2016

Our First Cruise

"As it was our first cruise we really looking forward to it,and we were not disappointed.We had a spacious cabin with a porthole Plenty of space for clothes and suitcases.The cabin was well looked after every day and the steward who did it was so friendly.(Even remembered our first names) The Meridian restaurant was a lovely place to eat with lots of choice on the menu and the food was really good.The waiters were so friendly and helpful and always cheerful.Especially Victoria.We also enjoyed going into Hemingway's bar of an evening Very comfortable.During the day we ate at the Lido restaurant.Again there was so much choice. The shows of an evening were very enjoyable. Thank you also for the birthday cake and chorus on my wife's 80th.birthday.It certainly made it a day to remember.We also looked forward to the cocktail of the day which was very welcome.Thank you for an amazing week."

• Travel date: Tue 12th of July 2016

June 2016

"Had a brilliant time on the Celebration. All staff so friendly especially the bar staff/waiters at Deck 6 bar on deck. Entertainment team were good fun, especially the quizzes in the afternoon. Our cabin was very small but looked after beautifully by Ketut. Our first cruise and hopefully not the last."

• Travel date: Mon 11th of July 2016

Still our favourite ship

"We have just returned from a wonderful two weeks on the Thomson Celebration on back to back cruises in the Adriatic. She may not be a new ship or the biggest by far. However you can keep your floating block of flats, this is the second time we have cruised on her and this time had the added benefit of a balcony. The crew are just fantastic and nothing is too much trouble for them, the food is up to the expected standards as was the cleanliness of our cabin which was always kept in 1st class condition by our steward. Although it is three years since we last cruised on her, Benjamin, one of the Head Waiters instantly recognized us and even remembered our name. In all, nothing but praise for the ship, crew and service, we will have no hesitation in cruising with her for a third time on a future date. "

• Travel date: Fri 8th of July 2016

Amazing

"Have just returned from our first cruise on the Thomson Celebration Adriatic Experience from Dubrovnik, could not find fault with anything at all, we had an inside cabin, compact but more than adequate and kept in immaculate condition by our lovely cabin steward Lanlan, meridian restaurant is superb, staff throughout the ship went above and beyond at all times, but I must give a special thank you to Elmer our waiter at the pool bar on the promenade deck, he was always so friendly could remember our names within 2 days and his service was second to none, he made our holiday. Cannot wait to book our next trip, "

• Travel date: Sat 2nd of July 2016

Brilliant first cruise

"We have just returned from our Croatian Classics cruise and found it amazing.Everything was so well organized from flight to ship.As this was our first cruise we were a little apprehensive but our worries were soon forgotten.The staff are outstanding and nothing is too much trouble.We certainly felt very looked after and found the whole experience very relaxing and would definitely book again."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of June 2016

Other Marella Cruises ships

Stayed on Marella Celebration ? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Marella Celebration

• "Worth upgrading to an outside or deluxe cabin…"

vivienw by vivienw
  • "When walking around the ship wash your hands as much as possible.…"

Thomas W by Thomas W
  • "Ask what cabin you have been allocated and check where it is on the deck plan. If it shows an empty space above, beware! …"

Ingleton25 by Ingleton25
  • "Make sure that all food served is hot. Always sanitize wherever you see the dispensers.…"

Andrena Q by Andrena Q
  • "Try and find out about good places to visit in the areas you are visiting. The ports are not always the nicest parts to visit. More info (other than about excursions) from the ship"s Reps would be helpful.…"

Sweb54 by Sweb54
  • "Have a good breakfast in the Meridian then explore the particular port you are visiting before sitting down for an excellent evening meal, accompanied by good wine and then on to the show in the evening.…"

Stuart W by Stuart W
  • "If possible take the AI option…"

JCA by JCA
  • "Choose to eat with groups and get to know new people,they will give you good tips.…"

Anne M by Anne M
  • "Book a few trips, they're well organised and the guides very informative…"

Margaret B by Margaret B
  • "Make sure you love Butlins…"

Lolly pop by Lolly pop
  • "Eat in the Meriden ala carte restaurant.…"

Tippy by Tippy
  • "All the islands are worth visiting, especially St Kitts railway…"

Janiceandtom by Janiceandtom
  • "Plan ahead and research the best ways to explore the ports of call.…"

Trishabara by Trishabara
  • "The Broadway Shows were as good as any West End Show.…"

Cbennett by Cbennett
  • "Leave your taste buds at home…"

Yarasper by Yarasper
  • "Get envolved, enjoy every moment, watch the shows, see the sights.......…"

T Fournier D''Albe by T Fournier D''Albe
  • "go to see the peekles group in the liberty bar…"

balexanderf by balexanderf
  • "bring back the standards we were used to and stop having staff walking around in the sun selling other restaurants its sell sell sell…"

kathleen mall by kathleen mall
  • "If you have any special diet needs, take packed lunches with you, because you'll not get anything to eat on board this ship.…"

Tony B by Tony B
  • "Go to the Meridian and share a dinner table. You. Make lots of new friends.…"

Mr James! by Mr James!