Queen Mary 2

Cunard Line

Queen Mary 2 is the world's largest, longest, tallest, grandest ocean liner ever! Since she set sail from Southampton on her maiden voyage on January 12, 2004, excitement surrounds her all over the world.

Key details

• Registry Great Britain

Queen Mary 2 traveller reviews

Fantastic

Reviewed Mon 23rd of November 2015

"We have just returned from a transatlantic crossing to New York. We left the ship in New York staying in New York for 2 nights and then flying to Las Vegas for 3 nights.

The Queen Mary 2 is absolute luxury, our stateroom had everything and such comfort. We were so spoiled. We had two days of rough seas and decks were closed but the activities and entertainment on the ship were brilliant and we really didn't miss going out on deck that much. If you get the chance to join the Olympic activities - it's a must - such fun and a great way to meet new people. Line dancing is a must too.

The waiters and staff were lovely and extremely helpful. They deserve a pat on the back. Excellent service thank you.

The only thing we found was the ship has 6-8 male professional dancers/hoists which we assume are for solo passengers. We found them rather serious when dancing and they liked to tell us we were dancing incorrectly. It is strange there are no female professional dancers/hoists as well - it might make people feel a little more comfortable. That is our only negative comment.

Looking forward to another trip on Queen Mary 2.

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of November 2015

Transatlantic

Reviewed Mon 21st of December 2015

"We have cruised with Cunard & Celebrity, P.O. on different occasions but Queen Mary 2 was a far superior experience by far. We had 6nights on board, we were never bored the entertainment was fantastic. Crosby Stills & Nash were playing & the residential entertainers were equally as good. The food was superb along with the service of the catering staff, bar staff & stewards. They were always friendly & well mannered. You will never beat a Cunard Cruise in my experience, totally spoiled . As for the age difference yes there are older couples but also there are younger couples, maybe because as you get older you have more money to spend or that you get more particular in your choices! "

• Travel date: Thu 19th of November 2015

QM2

Good
Reviewed Thu 22nd of October 2015

"Just returned from Southampton-NYC-Quebec-NYC-Southampton trip/cruise. If you want to cross the Atlantic with its very variable weather this is the most capable ship for the job. It is huge, inspires confidence and pride and impresses with its ability to ride the swells smoothly. The level of luxury and space relaxes the passenger. Compared to cruise ships it is still relatively under populated and you have to be lucky to bump into someone you met on day one. Four years ago I thought the food was good it is now better and I can't see how it could be improved. The Britannia Restaurant must be one of the most impressive eateries anywhere. Kings Court, the cafeteria can be a bit of a bun-fight at times and patience is a plus but the food is always fresh, varied and delicious. The Todd English dining experience didn't impress any of the passenger we talked to. They said the food was no better and the portions way too big. The Golden Lion pub served pub-grub, when there wasn't a trivia quiz in progress or some other annoying event, which was OK to good. We ate in Kings Court for breakfast and lunch as we could control the portion size over the 28 day trip. The entertainment from The Royal Cunard Singers and Dancers was west-end quality and hugely enjoyable. Some of the other entertainers struggled to find their niche. the gymnast-singer-piano-player comes to mind. The welsh comedian was brilliant especially when taking off the captain only to find him in the audience. The speakers/lecturers were mostly excellent except the motivation expert who could cure insomnia in 30 seconds and the husband and wife astronauts who proved that the ability to be cool in a tight spot is not the best personality for a speaker. Surprisingly they perked up when plugging their latest book. The Three Tenors were very loud. There were others who did not excite but didn't warrant an adverse comment. The ex-polce man and the expert on tides lecturers were excellent. Fellow passengers are a major factor in ensuring a pleasant experience. This trip originated in Hamburg so on the outward leg there were 600+ Germans on board which turned the ship bi-lingual and rather depressed the atmosphere. Some adverse comments were made by my fellow passengers and regular instructions about reserving seats in the theaters were common over the public announcement system. I found them pleasant individually but en-mass their national character pervades. From NYC to Quebec the Chinese invaded. They were comical in their keenness to photograph everything, absolutely, absolutely everything, and rude in their efforts to do so. Individually they were fun. Passengers provide some sights like the lady in front of us who overlapped her seat by 12 inches on either side and ate from 2 plates at the same time to the old veteran in a wheel chair who smiled all the time. The voyage from NYC to Quebec was a cruise calling in at various places either by docking the ship or anchoring and ferrying the passengers by tender which was no fun at all in the choppy seas at Bar Harbor . Halifax provided the tail end of a hurricane in the form of heavy rain all day. We couldn't get into St. Johns because of extremely low tides but Quebec, where we stayed nearly 3 days, was a delight. This might be a clue to good cruises, fewer and longer ports of call. Sydney N.S. was a failed steel town and stopping here puzzled everyone. Boston was just another big city but Newport had lots of old - worldly charm. NYC is somewhere you either love or hate. Fortunately we loved it. If you are expecting Cunard style, heritage and film stars galore, well that all ended when the US giant Carnival bought the company in 1996. Now they own 15 cruise lines and treat them as a blatant cash machine. Drinks have doubled in price in the last 4 years: 2 G&Ts now costing around $23. The bill was never the same twice and came with a service charge and a space for tips. Shore excursions were eye - watering expensive. Everything in the ship's shops was eye - watering expensive, many items with no (if you need to ask you can't afford it) price tags. The room stewards and table waiters were fantastic, a huge credit to themselves and an asset Carnival should nurture. They work 9 months straight, no days off, then have 3 months break. Some have been doing it for decades. The staff you meet are mostly Philippine or from eastern Europe and their natural good humor is a pleasure to see. This trip was actually 2 transatlantic crossing with a 2 week cruise in between so you get to have the entertainment 3 times which is either a blessing or a curse. You need to check at the pursers desk about internet free minutes per leg as Carnival keep this a secret but will cough up the true amount when questioned. We parked our car right at the dockside in Southampton at the CPS lot which worked really well. On the last morning we carried off our own luggage and were off the ship, in the car and away in less than 10 minutes. Looking back the trip was good, 28 days too long for us but we will be back for more, maybe another 10 day trip somewhere like Norway. "

• Travel date: Wed 21st of October 2015

Toilet Paper

Reviewed Thu 23rd of July 2015

"The quality is poorer that UK Supermarkets' Basic choice. 3-4 folded sheets is the equivalent to one normal sheet. Why should Cunard be so penny-pinching?

Advice - take you own."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of July 2015

A Taster not to be tasted again!

Reviewed Tue 24th of March 2015

"We went with our friends on what was a taster cruise in December 2014. Well never again. The good points were it is an outstanding ship, first impressions breath taking which we all enjoyed. But the downside was we had to Que for our breakfast to get a table we could not sit with our friends and had to wait for a table to become vacant when the upstairs dining area was empty - when I noticed a table had just become vacant we we told we would have to wait 10 minutes. for it to be cleaned! We thought the entertainment from the cruise ship staff was awful as we were sitting to the side of the stage they never acknowledged us just the front lower seats but David Copperfield was great. We paid for a trip to Ghent which was expensive and the coach did not leave until 10.50 and after an hours journey there and back we had to be back on the ship by 4.30 so hardly had time to look around the Christmas markets! we then had to wait for ages in the cold to get back on the ship - they had one poor person checking the passes! and ours along with other coaches had arrived all at similar times! Afternoon tea was lovely but again we had to Que for 45 minutes to get in and there was a lot of disappointed people as there was not where for them to sit! We thought the charges were very expensive so glad we only did a short break. To top it all on our last morning we went for breakfast at about 7.00 bearing in mind we did not have to be out of our cabin until 8.30 when we returned our single beds had turned into a double and were made up for the next lot of guests! talk about kick you out - we did not expect the cabin staff to be entering our room until we had left disgusting. I wrote to Cunard they eventually answered not apology when I had stated in the letter that Island Escape although a cheaper option of cruising was far far better they told me I should not compare and had an answer for everything they are not bothered once they have your money. But they did sound concerned and said they would look into the bed situation - but have not heard any more and do not expect to - I just wish they would stop sending their glossy brochures as none of us are interested they are a rip off."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of March 2015

Superb 4 day taster voyage

Reviewed Tue 4th of November 2014

"Just returned from a 4 day trip as have never cruised before and thought this would be an ideal way of sampling a trip before booking something longer, We were hugely impressed, I can't understand the negative reviews on here, The stateroom was amazing with one of the best beds i have slept in, fantastic Egyptian cotton sheets, sparkling complimentary wine, The communal areas were grand and impressive with an art deco theme running throughout the ship, Food was spectacular and that includes the room service menu, which arrived quickly and always hot, Afternoon tea in the Queens room served some of the best scones i have tasted,
The formal night added a touch of glamor to the voyage, a memorable and unforgettable journey that will stay with me for a long time,, Have now booked that longer trip 11 nights round trip to New York and can't wait,,, Many thanks Cunard"

• Travel date: Tue 4th of November 2014

First cruise

Good
Reviewed Fri 26th of September 2014

"This was a new experience for my partner and I so we had an open mind.
First impressions of the ship were WOW it's so big and that stayed with us.
Check-in in Southampton was good and very smooth, your luggage is there in your cabin when you arrive. All the staff were friendly and helpful. First thing to do after you have checked in is to go to the pursers desk and remove the 15% gratuity so you can tip the staff who give good service, it's very easy to do. We took on board in our cases a bottle of gin and a wine box with no problems, some other people took a case of bottled are 6 X 1.5 liter bottles, it's just below 20 US Dollars. Wine was 65 US Dollars a bottle at the table, OK for some people but too expensive for me.
Cabins or as they are called staterooms vary, mine was the cheapest and it was perfectly adequate for 7 nights, wardrobe space was fine and overall it was very clean, the maid was very helpful.
Entertainment was good, look at the daily newsletter which is delivered to your cabin daily, there is a lot going on, if you missed a lecture or talk it will probably be played back on the in-cabin TV. Some of the lectures on health and well being were just an advert for the expensive services in the Spa.
Food was excellent in the Britannia restaurant and service was excellent, we ate breakfast and lunch in the Kings Court, because it's self service you can eat as little or as much as you like. The portions in the Britannia are not massive but perfect for me.
Dress code is a little old fashioned but not onerous and to be honest it wasn't strictly enforced although most people complied.
Immigration at New York took about 1/2 hour to negotiate but painless, if you need a taxi you will have to queue again. Beware not all taxi drivers there speak good English so have the hotel name and address written down, our didn't and was searching the internet for the address on his phone whilst driving through New York. If you travel from a New York hotel to an airport try getting the hotel to book you a shuttle but, it's far cheaper than a taxi, the traffic is almost always gridlocked.

• Travel date: Fri 26th of September 2014

Queen Mary 2 Southampton to Cape Town

Reviewed Tue 18th of February 2014

"With this ship Cunard have delusions of grandeur. The QM2 was designed to cross the North Atlantic. It was never designed as a cruise ship, the lay out is all wrong, it is confusing to say the least, along with the majority of passengers it took most of the voyage to find our way around.
The cabin, euphemistically called a state room, was small, wardrobe space was limited, OK for my wife’s dresses, I had to make do with a tiny space complete with wire coat hangers, It was a balcony cabin, but any view was blocked by a large orange life boat, no other cruise ship I have been on has life boats blocking the balcony view.
The staff with one or two exceptions were indifferent, to the passengers needs,. However the cabin stewards were great & most helpful.
The interior was tired dull & dated, the atrium which should have been the center of the ship was small & cramped. The grand staircase was anything but grand, only rising one floor.
This ship has a theater that a lot of west end theaters would die for, with a state of the art stage & lighting to match. It is a pity that the acts were not up to standard. 6 dancers & 4 singers, the dancers were under rehearsed, they were terrible, the singers shouted so lost tune & rhythm, in 19 days they only appeared 4 times. Of the entertainers brought on board there were only a couple of acts that were up to standard, the rest were well below par, the acts only appeared for 45 minutes with no supporting acts, they might appear twice during the cruise if you were lucky.
To add insult to injury as well as paying a daily gratuity, supposedly for the staff, although rumor has it that the staff see none of it, there is a 15% surcharge on every thing purchased on board & I mean every thing, from a box of matches to a bottle of wine, already over priced, at dinner.
To sum up, Cunard you are not a cruise line, go back to what your ships were designed for crossing the north Atlantic. I will not be sailing with Cunard again.

• Travel date: Mon 17th of February 2014

A 'taster' cruise which won't be repeated!

Reviewed Tue 10th of September 2013

"My wife and me having never cruised before decided to chance a 5 night 'cruise break' [as Cunard refer to it] from 3rd to 8th August 2013. As it was our first we opted for the Princess Grill Getaway fare at £949 per person. Our cabin or stateroom as Cunard prefer to call it was 10123 on Deck 10.

The room was perfectly adequate though a couple of things crossed my mind. Firstly, I was pleased I hadn't paid full price and secondly I wondered what the lower grade cabins would be like; I'm guessing small and claustrophobic.
I have no complaints whatsoever about the staff; the cabin steward was delightful as was the Maitre De in the restaurant and his waiting staff.

But I do have two legitimate gripes and one just plain annoying. The first of the legitimate gripes was that QM2 shakes and vibrates virtually all of the time. Bearing in mind the weather was fine and the seas calm throughout that was of concern. Even in bed at night there was constant vibration. However the worst was when we were at anchor just off Guernsey [St Peter Port]when our restaurant table would not stop shaking. When I asked the waiter he shrugged his shoulders and said it happens all the time!

Clearly I have no idea whether this is true but we certainly weren't expecting it. After all the vessel is 150,000 tons or more and the seas were flat calm; very worrying!

But our biggest disappointment was the fact that for some unknown reason the Commodore [that's the skipper to most folks]decided that we should spend an extra day gazing over St Peter Port rather than sail. For us, who were trying to find out whether 'cruising' was for us, spent two days at anchor yet another cruise ship, the Caribbean Princess came and went. What was the problem?

So those were the legitimate gripes. The next is certainly not I was expecting. If the Captain or Master has to or prefers to call himself Commodore that's fine. I suppose it evokes some sort of romanticism of the old glory days of sea travel. If that was the intention that's fine, What isn't fine is that he should provide a running commentary of what he considers to be the highlights of the cruise for example the largest container ship in the world which was also in Southampton water at the same time. Shouldn't he have he delegated that particular job to the head of entertainment?

In conclusion I guess everyone has their own ideas of what a cruise should be like and what expectations they have. For us we feel badly let down because the experience really didn't fit the advertising hype. The bottom line is that we spent the best part of £2,000 for this 5 night 'mini-cruise' and I just wonder what else I could have got for the same money. As such, I don't think we'll be repeating it any time soon!"

• Travel date: Thu 29th of August 2013

RESTARAUNT STAFF SHOULD LEARN TO TO SMILE

Reviewed Thu 15th of August 2013

"Have just returned from a five day break to guernsey/belgium.my wife and i
have travelled on approx 35 cruises so we have a good idea what a good criuse is.we wanted to check out the ship for a longer cruise.well the
ship is great,but we were dissapointed with the staff not very alert is the best way to describe them.others on our dinner table who have travelled on qm2 4 times said it had deteriated dramaticly.our trip has confirmed
we will not be booking a cruise on this ship.

• Travel date: Fri 9th of August 2013

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE ON QM 2 AND EXTREMELY SHOCKING ATTITUDE OF WHITESTAR CRUISES AGENT

Reviewed Tue 4th of June 2013

"My clients Mr and Mrs Thorpe recently travelled from CPT to SOUTHAMPTON on the QM2 - Queens Grill Cabin - APRIL 13
From the minute their journey started they were subjected to the most unacceptable disgusting treatment.
They obviously had very high expectations and anticipated a journey of a lifetime.
They are very very well travelled so do not fall into the novice traveller department.
The embarkation in Capetown was nothing short of a joke - disorganised , unprofessional and exceedingly long.
The airconditioner in their cabin was faulty and never repaired despite numerous requests to do so. (According to Paul Clark a director of Whitstar cruises in SA - they have no record of this request so Mr and Mrs Thorpe must have imagined it )
The plumbing in their bathroom leaked - resulting in a permanently wet bathroom floor which extended to the dressing room - NOT what you would hope for on a ZAR100 000 cruise !(again a record of this complaint could not be located by Whitestar Paul Clark - so perhaps this was also imagined by Mr and Mrs Thorpe)
The Jacuzzi - was also faulty so could not be used.
The linen - most certainly belonged in a 3 star holiday Inn - NOT on a luxury cruise and was not changed for the full duration of the trip.
According to Paul Clark of Whitestar the Thorpes should have made this happen - eventhough they are not the official employers of the Cunard staff ??? Tricky
The BIGGEST issue was that the raw sewage stench that constantly filtered onto their very expensive - balcony rendering it unusable for many days . They were unable to open their cabin doors as the stench would then fill their cabin !!
All of the above ruined their holiday and when they took it up with Whistar Cruises MD - South Africa - Paul Clark they were insulted and he implied that they were maybe making most of the complaints up in order to "score a refund" !!!!
In all my 30 years of travel I must confess this has been an extremely shocking response and handling of a clients very very serious complaints. It has been unprofessional in the extreme and I hope I or any of my clients never have to deal with Cunard and or Whitestar ever again.
Not a single apology was offered nor was any sort of compensation offered.
SHAME on Whitestar Cruises South Africa and SHAME on Cunard for not getting involved and stepping up to care for one of their clients.

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of June 2013

Loved every single moment

Reviewed Wed 30th of January 2013

"We have booked again for two more trips this year and one more in 2014 already. I can not believe what the other people said about the food. Definitely must have been on another boat. I love everything about the boat. The service is magnificent. I am on a gluten free diet and they catered beautifully giving me the menu for the next day ahead so I could plan what I might like to eat.
I love the silver service. The attention to detail. There is always food on hand if you get peckish which is almost impossible as the meals are so wonderful. We always have a deluxe balcony room and find that the rooms are great- not that we spend much time there. We always go to a show every night and go to as much as possible. I did the water colour course last time and am taking my paints with me although the art teacher was the only thing that was not A grade. I am hoping to do at least one trip a year from now on even though I live in Australia. We are booking for the transatlantic trip for October this year.
We are next doing the trip around New Zealand and am so excited have already packed for it. Fabulous. Fabulous.

• Travel date: Wed 30th of January 2013

Other Cunard Line ships

Stayed on Queen Mary 2 ? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Queen Mary 2

• "Be prepared to join in many of the activites that are offered on the daily bulletin! Eating at Kings Court was brilliant - such a choice- and you could choose what you wanted! Dining in the Britania restaurant was ok but portion were on the small sid…"

naomi156 by naomi156
  • "Try to join in the activities they are great fun…"

RobJu by RobJu
  • "Keep an open mind and learn from the experience.…"

diipii by diipii
  • "Take your own toilet paper…"

jawesq by jawesq
  • "I would not as would not go again…"

Doris M by Doris M
  • "Sit back relax and enjoy the dream…"

smast by smast
  • "Find a cabin that does not vibrate!…"

Yogi 22 by Yogi 22
  • "GO TO SELF SERVICE RESTAURANT…"

LEPATORAL by LEPATORAL
  • "Make the most of everything offered and be positive. No one likes negative people.…"

Boges by Boges
  • "Don't go if you are a serious foodie…"

Samburu by Samburu
  • "Make sure you take formal with you.The dress code if given out on news letters every day and can be formal semi formal of elegant casual.I loved being able to dress up each night but this wouldnt suit some people…"

Jacqueline H by Jacqueline H
  • "Tke a basic stock of drink, cancel the automated gratuity and avoid using the internet!…"

Stephen Charles by Stephen Charles
  • "Eat with a large table for dinner and late dining. Photos over priced!…"

Ns by Ns