Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro

Location: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro

1 2 3 »
rudest staff

"Think twice before booking this hotel. The staff were utterly appalling. Rude doesn't even come close to describing them. Book this hotel if you want to be ignored and have no service at all. Total waste of money. Might as well of wiped my backside with the money instead"

• Holiday details: Jun 2012, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: get a flight back home

"Bad Service at the bar at any location

Could not drink their drinks, spent $300 on beverage

by 12:00noon no towels at the pool, we were told to go and get them at the laundry room. BAD ATTITUDE FROM ATTENDANT

Unless you spoke Spanish you could not get any help, even with the tip" we spent over $200 dollars in tips".

They acted like if they were doing us a favor. Amazing because if it wasn't for the tourist they would not have a job.

If you don't have children do not go there.

in the buffet area , children touching and playing with the food and no one stopped them. DO I WANT TO EAT THE FOOD THERE. That was the only place were food was edible.

Restaurants a la carte, food is awful the place is empty and they make you beg for a reservation.very few employees exchanged a friendly hello. will not go back there or raccomand the place.They closed the pool in the middle of the day , no exponation made us get out,smiling like we were stupid. 24 hours later pool still closed.

• Holiday details: Jul 2011, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: The resort is beautiful, the people that works there need a better personality

the best

"My husband and I went in 2008, we had a great time it was the second best hoilday that we have had and we are hoping to go back in 2009."

• Holiday details: Sep 2008, All Inclusive, booked with First Choice
  • Advice: If you have not been you need to go.
  • Activities: All the restaurants were great

"I am a 20 year old girl who travelled alone. Not the wisest choice I've ever made but had no choice and really needed a holiday! Spent a lot of money on what I thought was going to be a holiday of a lifetime in a 5* hotel. I was not told when I booked that there are different "classes" of all inclusive in this huge complex of hotels. I was not priviledged enough to be in one of the better classes. This meant I was not allowed to use half the pools and the only part of the beach I was allowed on was not pleasant; packed full of sunbeds so there was no space to yourself and no shade, as that was reserved for the Ambar customers. I sat up from the bed one day to find children gad taken my shoes and were using them to make sandcastles! There were many gardners on the beach (I know that sounds stupid but they were tending the trees and other plants on the beach, constantly picking up fallen leaves etc) on many occasions I would open my eyes o find them standing around staring at me, uncomfortable to say the least. They were all very letcherous! I could almost stand the staring but then they decided that it would be ok for them to start stroking my legs as they walked past, after that I avoided the beach as it was too disgusting! It was impossible to avoid the older male guests who obviously only went out there to meet young ladies, the local women may have welcomed their advances for the money (they seem to have no compunctions against using their bodies to get what they want) but again I was completely mortified that these men tried to grope me. Along these same lines, getting drinks from the bar was impossible, the bartenders would hold on to the glass so you had to take it from them, they would then grab your arm and eye you up in the most sleazy manner! There was nothing I could do to stop this, they didn't care if you yelled at them and slapping them only spurred them on. If you tried to order your drink with a waitress you would be lucky if you got your drink after half an hour, sometimes the drinks just didn't come at all.

In the restaurant I had the correct cutlery etc once in my two week stay. Is it so much to ask to have a knife and fork, napkin and sideplate? If you pestered the waiters you may get a drink of water (they were supposed to walk around with a jug of water but if you didn't have a glass on your table, they ignored you) but if you ordered any other drink you stood very little chance of getting it. As a vegetarian I found the food very limited; they always had nice fresh bread but that is really the only nice food I found there. The tomatoes were very rarely ripe, they actually expected us to eat green tomatoes! They usually had cooked vegetables swimming in water, they were very rarely warm, let alone hot, and tasted like they had come out of a freezer. All in all I found the food exceedingly disappointing although perhaps if I ate meat I wouldn't have been so hungry all the time! They always had pasta, which was hard and tasteless. The a la carte restaurants could only be used 3 times a week and needed to be booked 24hours in advance. Although I was told that there was a strict dress code to the restaurants, there was not. Many people went to dinner still in beach clothes etc, in my opinion this is not acceptable, when I booked, I believed I was travelling to a classy place, this was not the case!

The reception was very unhelpful, constantly sending me between the two mirror image receptions, no one was able to tell me where the bank was although I did finally find it, right beside reception! When my key card stopped working, so I couldn't get in my room, reception acted like I was really putting them out when I asked for a replacement!

In general the staff were very disrespectful, unhelpful and generaly rude. I feel I must say that there was one exception to this, a bartender at the lobby bar in Bavaro side who was polite, prompt with drinks and did not grope me!

The room was adequate, however not exactly the junior suite I had booked. The room was cleaned daily, however you never knew what time to expect the maid, it may be at 8am while I was getting dressed (she continued to enter even when I asked her to wait a minute while I got some clothes on!) or it could be at 5pm. The minibar was not restocked daily even though it was supposed to be, this meant I often ran out of water, there was no where else to get bottled water.

The whole culture seems to be centered around sex, there is no other way I can describe it! I found it completely disgusting that wherever I went I was subjected to letcherous men and I was completely unable to prevent it. (I feel I must tell you that I was NOT strutting round in miniskirts and skimpy tops, I was dressed completely appropriately.) On one particularly difficult night I wished to catch the train that runs around the hotel grounds, the drivers basically refused to take me, they just stood staring at me, making rude comments. I walked home.

All in all I had a terrible holiday, it was so stressful avoiding all the advances. When I was asked to go out (to discos etc) by the staff and I refused, they would then refuse to serve me next time and would completely ignore me. This was a complete waste of my money, the weather wasn't even particularly great, it was usually overcast, rainy and so so windy! I would advise anyone to avoid this place!

• Holiday details: Feb 2009, All Inclusive, Booked Independently

gran bahia principe bavaro

"we booked our holiday through thomas cook in april 2008 we recieved a phone call 2 weeks before we were due to fly (12th nov) to tell us the hotel we had booked thomas cook had pulled out of it due to renovation work which was being done. we were then given an "up grade" to the gran bahia principe bavaro which was a 4 * hotel how this worked i'm not sure because the hotel we originally booked was a 4 *plus. the flight was great quite comfortable for economy and the staff were friendly. we arrived at the hotel where there was a bit of confusion over where we should be checking in(this service was not very quick it took almost an hour) we were then directed to another reception desk in the hacienda suite which was very pleasant and air conditioned. we checked in fine be aware of the safety deposit box very expensive. our room was great very spacious, we were right by the hacienda and diamond pool. very clean and tidy hotel the grounds were beautiful but everywhere you turned it all looked the same. if you have children there is'nt a great deal for them to do my son(4 years old) spent most of the days in the pool or at the beach ( be very careful of the sea it is very rough which was very disapointing) the main down side for us was the food some days it was cold, some days it wasn't cooked properly and other days it looked like the left overs from the day before. this hotel is very large and made up of 4 hotels in total"

• Holiday details: Nov 2008, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook

booked with sunmaster who were great....

"booked with sunmaster who were great. dont expect them to be like a thomas cook because they arent. they are like a holiday broker.

i told them the hotel i wanted after doing a bit of research, and then left the rest to them. they came back with the best price and i booked and paid straight away. i will use sunmaster again no problem.

flights on thomson/first choice to caribbean are great with loads of legroom.

bahia principe punta cana is amazing. food is stunning with so much choice its unbelievable. food available all day in several places. 6 a la carte restaurants, beach bars, beach cafe. fabulous beach, staff were really nice and there was lots to do. we took kids to a different show every night(age 3 and 5), and in pools/ beach and kids area every day.

other times we would just swim up to the pool bar(5 pools all with swim up bars) and get lashed with rum and coke.

even mini bar in room was all included.

rooms were great, with a/c, cable tv, and all with a jacuzzi bath.

we are going back next year and i cant wait.

downside......i cant really think of one.....just fingers crossed that the hurricanes miss you

• Holiday details: Aug 2008, All Inclusive, booked with SUNMASTER

Hotel complex very clean spacious...

"Hotel complex very clean spacious room well furnished. grounds swimming pools public building beautifull.fantastic beach with sunbeds and thatched sunshades.mosquitos are a big problem.water sports available very good.sea good for swimming.daytime entertainment program average,evening shows very good weekly program, organist in lobby bar every night ok to start with, but got a bit boring as the holiday went on outdoor entertainment starts 11.00pm ok as long as it doesnt rain. disco opens 12.00 does not play much european at this hotel complex there is plenty of choice its just a pity that they dont cook the meat well enough a lot of it was either raw or very undercooked also a lot of the food was not very warm.travelled with first choice airways aircraft flew on time cabin crew where exellant nice aircraft seat pitch good food good"

• Holiday details: May 2008, All Inclusive, booked with First Choice

I have never commented on a hotel...

"I have never commented on a hotel this way before but I would like some advice. We are booked to go to the Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro in August. Our Party of 8 (incudes 4 children and 1 infant), hense my concern. We have received correspondence from Thomas Cook stating that they are making improvements to the hotel in the form of building new accomodation and that work is a various stages from ground being prepared to some blocks having their shell in place. The resort has had such fabulous reviews, hense why we booked it!, and therefore I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on how this may effect our holiday. Is there any cause for concern? I would appreciate any comments you can give us. Its better to know from someone seeing it first hand. I have not seeing any comments regarding this building work so cant read any comments.

Any info would be grateful.

• Holiday details: Aug 2008, All Inclusive, booked with Airtours

Myself, my partner, and 6 others...

"Myself, my partner, and 6 others including a 7 year old and 18 month old baby stayed here in May! I would definatly recommend this hotel to everyone... the rooms were cleaned daily, towels changed daily, mini bar filled daily, the staff are very friendly, the food was brilliant, the restaurants were good, although the only downside was the service in the restaurants.... had to wait about 15 minutes for drinks, but hey not the end of the world! there was entertainment on the beach which is hillarious! all kinds of water sports, the beach is gorgeous....never seen anything like it! and i would stongly recommend going on the Saona island excursion, a catamaran takes you out to ther

island, and believe it or not, the beach and sea is even nicer than the one outside the hotel!!! the entertainment at night was fab......especially the michael jackson tribute! the weather was absolutely boiling!!!! although it did rain a few times but stopped after about 20 mins and had dried up within about 5 mins!!!!! if anyone complains about this hotel...they are seriously too picky!!!!!!!

get it booked!!!!!!!!! :-)

• Holiday details: May 2008, All Inclusive, booked with First Choice

If you don't mind waiting 20 to 30...

"If you don't mind waiting 20 to 30 minutes every time you ask for a drink, this is the place to be.

We were very disappointed with the way the bar tenders would not even acknowledge us sitting there waiting for drinks.

Once we did order our drinks it would take another 10 minutes to get them. The food was mediocre at best. There was no Dominican food at all.

The rooms were clean and housekeeping was great. The hotel itself is nice it was just the bad service we are very unhappy with.

• Holiday details: Aug 2007, All Inclusive, booked with GOGO

Me and my partner stayed for 2 weeks...

"Me and my partner stayed for 2 weeks and thought this hotel was amazing!

I was really pleased with the room, it was so spacious and very clean, and the maid came in every day and made sure the mini bar was re-stocked daily.

The hotel complex is really big and well maintained, the restaurants were fantastic. The buffet did get a bit boring towards the end of our holiday but there is quite a wide range of foods (being my first all inclusive I didn’t know what to expect).

There’s not really a lot of entertainment but I think holidays to the Caribbean are just for relaxing anyway! Don't go if you want nightlife! And all of the staff and tourists speak Spanish, don’t expect many to speak English.

Overall I thought it was a great holiday and would recommend it to anyone thinking of going to the Dominican Republic.

• Holiday details: Jun 2007, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook

The Bahia is a five star hotel and...

"The Bahia is a five star hotel and you can be assured your every need will be catered for.

There are eight al a carte restaurants, 4 pools, the best hotel beach I have ever seen, and a number of activities you can partake in during the day.

The service to top quality and the staff go out of their way to help and make your holiday the best.

We have stayed at 3 different Bahia Principle's: the other also in the Dominican Republic and one in Mexico. There really is no other hotel in the Caribbean that comes close to the Bahia Principle.

• Holiday details: Jun 2007, All Inclusive, booked with Airtours

1 2 3 »

Map for Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro Closest airport: Punta Cana (PUJ) 2.4 miles

Top traveller tips for Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro
  • by clare glazz

" take the helidoser (helicopter) ride its expensive but brill "