Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship

Thomson Cruises
Average rating (201 reviews)
Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship
Check the latest prices for this cruise

worst cruise ever

"Booked this cruise as we wanted to go on that itinerary. The flight, transfers were great but when we saw the cabin we had it was no bigger than a box room. The bathroom was awful you could not swing a cat in it. The towels were grey and well worn. Also the tiles needed cleaned and re grouted and when you had a shower the water came up through the tiles which moved when you stood on them and soaked the whole bathroom. The food on board was awful and was not hot just warm. The quality was definitely poor and the cheapest you could buy. Not a great choice at all. And have you ever heard of mushroom sandwiches because that is what they served with the afternoon tea. We never took the drinks package it was £235 each a week and we certainly would not drink £470 worth of drink in a week - alcoholics might. The good thing about the cruise was we met lots of lovely people and have to say about 80% of the ones we spoke to would not be back on a Thomsons cruise - the joke was it was referred to Butlins on the sea. This ship needs to be scrapped.

The other problem I had was when I booked this online. It took my payment and then the Thomson site came up with an error meaning it had taken my money and I had no holiday - no booking reference or anything. Phoning them was a disaster they just did not want to know saying I should just book it again - I had stupidly paid with my debit card and when I checked with the bank they had taken the payment. It took me a day and a half to get it sorted out - eventually Christopher and Amy at the call center took charge of my booking and sorted it out for me ( excellent customer service from them unlike some staff that just did not want to help). I eventually managed to get my e ticket 3 days before we flew out but never did receive an Atol certificate.

All I can say from our experience is never book online with Thomson's and definitely never go on any of their cruises. We will be sticking with Princess and NCL who we have cruised with about 14 times before and are excellent.

• Holiday details: Oct 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't go with this cruise line.

Omni jewellers st Martin carribeanan

"My husband and I went on a Caribbean cruise on Thomson celebration in April and he bought me an opal ring from this jewelers. Costing £800 .when we set sail that night the ring was not the original one the opal was Badly chipped.when we returned home I emailed a photo of the ring which they asked me to return.it has taken 7 months and many emails to them in the end I had to be really insistent that they do something quick as I was going to report them to my cruise agent.we have received the ring now but the supposed opal it is a slither of colored stone. So please keep well clear of OMNI JEWELERS ST MARTINS. As they say once bitten twice shy. Never buy jewellery from abroad"

• Holiday details: Apr 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Excellent

Thomson Majesty Diesal Smell

"Cabin 733 24th July to 31st July 2015

I have written to Thomson after we suffered from a strong smell of diesel in our cabin for the whole of our week aboard The Majesty. We reported the smell after giving the benefit of the doubt that this could be simply down to refueling in port as we have experienced this previously which always cleared after we set sail.

After several polite complaints we were visited on 3 occasions but the smell was still as strong after each so called fix. I have now received a cursory reply to my complaint telling me a Plumber visited my cabin and the smell went away.

I hate being treat like moron and have told Thomson I will post my experience on the web to see if anyone else has been fobbed off in this way.

We love cruising with Thomson but I cannot accept their flippant response to something that ruined our last trip.

Unfortunately I will now take my business elsewhere. What a shame their customer service could no simply admit the facts and apologize. That's all I really wanted but to be treat like an idiot is like a red rag to a bull for me.

• Holiday details: Jul 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Sort out your trips ashore with independent companies prior to travelling or simply do it yourself by train/taxi etc

Fab first cruise

"Just returned from our first cruise on Thompson majesty and what a cruise it was.after flying to Corfu we were taken to the ship speedily and efficiently.check in was quick and our luggage was waiting for us outside our cabin before we got there.the cabin was much larger than I perceived ,very clean and yeah ok the towels weren't Snow White but they were clean.the room was cleaned daily and beds turned back at night with chocolates on pillows .the food was very nice and varied and we could always find something we liked.there were noodle bars and food seemed endless all day,sometimes the food wasn't very hot but hey with the amount of guests that's understand

Able.we had a drinks package which is great value otherwise we might have had a hefty bill at end of cruise,Jd was brill at pool bar and most of the staff were nice and helpful.you need to get sun beds early ,especially on sail days and the ship does become packed in afternoon top deck but wasn't a problem.the entertainment team were very good and this varied every night.the port destinations were brilliant especially Rome though we wished we had done this ourselves on local train as the trip felt a bit rushed around Rome .after reading negative reviews we were a bit dubious about this holiday but shouldn't have been as it was fantastic,this ship is old but clean,go with an open mind ,we did we had nothing to compare it with but loved it so much that we have booked on the dream for two weeks next year.casual clothes are fine all day and in the evening men had either dress shorts or casual trousers on and tops and woman with either dresses or trousers and tops.this is a family friendly ship and a relaxing fun holiday ,don't be put off by the negative reports or snobbery you get what you pay for ,well done to Thompsons,can't wait for next year and to all who are going ,enjoy.

• Advice: Embrace the experience

Best cruise yet!

"Just got back from two fantastic weeks on board the Majesty.

We did Italian Flavors and Hellenic classics.

The ship may not be new, but is spotlessly clean. The staff are brilliant, and the shows and food were all very good.

Have been on six previous cruises on various Thomson cruises. But this was probably the best yet, and we cant wait to do it again.

So ignore the moaners and have a good holiday !

• Holiday details: Aug 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Just enjoy the experience, and take larger clothes for the return trip,

Thomson Hi De Hi Majesty

"We have been on other Thomson cruises and enjoy the social aspect of cruising. The fact that all the passengers speak English means you can always strike up a conversation with a fellow passenger, so this is why we chose Thomson again.

However, because Thomson have decided to abandon the fixed dining times and replace with flexible dining (dine whenever you like) meant that for us as a couple, we were placed at 14 different tables throughout our holiday and didn't really get to know people as well as we have in the past. You would think the open dining would be easier on the kitchen staff, but this did not appear to be the case. Service was very hit and miss and after having to queue to get into the restaurant, we were then shown to tables with dirty linen from previous diners, missing cutlery, napkins and glasswear. At one point, our whole table was missing napkins and although we pointed this out to the waiter, when they did arrive, they were damp and the starter was cold. We also had to ask for the bread basket on more than one occasion. We were on the all inclusive drinks package, but sometimes I had to ask for more wine with my meal, whilst at other times the waiter was very attentive and topped me up regularly. There are 2 main restaurants so I don't see why they can't make one fixed dining and the other flexible. The food was good, although I was dismayed that you had to pay extra if you wanted the specialities like steak!

There were quite a lot of children on the cruise ship, which generally I don't have a problem with, but I did get annoyed at the older ones taking over the Jacuzzi when it clearly stated no under 16s and the adult pool often had toddlers with armbands in it. No-one ever told them off though.

One of the big gripes for most people was the sunbed saga. People often got up early and put towels on to reserve the sunbeds and no-one ever said anything. We saw 2 sunbeds with towels on all day and no-one came to them. When the staff came to pack up the sunbeds we told them about the towels and they just laughed! Not so funny for those poor people who couldn't get a sunbed. The staff started packing up the sunbeds at around 6pm which is a really nice time of the day but if you wanted to sit out longer you were made to feel intimidated into leaving. There were quite few complaints about the sooty deposits I assume came from the funnels. It seemed to float down on people who were laid out at the back of the ship and ruined clothes and towels. There was a huge stack of sunbeds which were badly stained with soot which you didn't want to use, but sometimes there wasn't any other choice.

To summarize, I would say Thomson have relaxed their standards far too much in order to attract more people to cruising and spoilt it for some. If you like Butlins, Benidorm and Shameless, you will feel right at home on this cruise.

The formal night was disappointing. Thomson have relaxed the dress code too much in my opinion and although the majority of people made the effort, we saw a lot of (mainly men) casually dressed for the Captains night in crumpled open-necked shirts, and one even had a short-sleeved shirt, jeans and trainers! I'm not a snob, but if people don't want their cruise experience to be a little more special than your average package holiday, they have the choice of going to the cafe. Our photo taken in the restaurant showed people behind us dressed casually, which spoils the whole idea of formal night.

The excursions were interesting, although in some cases we felt the guides were more historians and provided a little too much information. It would have been better to not bombard us with all the facts and maybe supplement the information with brochures? The prices of the excursions were steep (as expected) so I would advise doing it yourself. We did a few ourselves and saved a fortune on what Thomson were charging. In some instances they made 100% profit - that's just a bit too greedy I felt.

Our cabin was great - we booked an outside plus and there was loads of room and wardrobe/drawer space. The shower room was quite small but we managed fine. The hairdryer in the bathroom was rubbish, but there was a better one in the dressing table drawer. There is a tv which doesn't transmit all the channels it claims to, but we didn't really watch tv too much. The cabin stewards were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble, although I did find an item under the bed which had been left by the previous occupants, so it didn't get a deep clean! There is a safety deposit in the wardrobe, which you have to pay extra for and a selection of water, fizzy drinks and crisps, which are extortionate prices if you are foolish enough to indulge.

The all inclusive drinks package was well worth the money we paid, even though we don't drink loads, but we paid for it when we booked and it appears you get the best deals then. The cost if you bought it when you arrived on ship was at least double what we had paid. Strangely enough though, water was a premium drink and not included in the package! They also sell water as you get off the ship, but it's better to wait and buy it in port - another rip-off charge you should avoid.

The entertainment was quite good I thought - the usual bingo, quizzes and musicals. The dancers were very talented and the group that was on before the main show was also good (and they knew it) The comedian was very funny!

• Holiday details: Jul 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Spend a little more and go for an outside plus. Do the excursions yourself.

Majesty August Greece and Italy

"The Majesty may be getting older but the 2 weeks we spent on board was brilliant. Yes the cabins are small and tired but very comfortable and adequate for the small time spent in them. The cleaning staff are attentive and very helpful.

Entertainment was superb, with the young team of singers and dancers - led by Cruise Directors Paul and Adam (Ant and Dec)- top notch in both singing and dancing with superb costumes and backing music, etc.

Food was good without being outstanding and plentiful, on request, in the 2 waiter serviced dining rooms. The quality in the dining room was especially good and served by an entertaining and attentive group of male waiters - even down to their singing each night!

The trips were not expensive and varied so catered for most tastes.

Altogether a memorable start to cruising for our group and one definitely to be repeated.

• Holiday details: Aug 2015, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Take plenty of clothes sizes! The drinks package is very good value.

Great holiday ..... Again.

"DO NOT listen to the moaners. They will never be happy. We have just returned from a cruise on Thomson Majesty and it was great. Our balcony cabin was clean with plenty of room. Small bathroom but adequate. Towels white and changed when requested. Pleasant staff, always attentive. Food plentiful and tasty. Entertainment was good, they work really hard. Our trips were well organized. Yes, expensive but if you prefer to go independently you will save some money. Our 18yr old boys shared an outside cabin on deck 4 which they felt was adequate for their needs. If 2 style conscious teenagers can cope anyone can! There were always members of staff cleaning the ship whether it was the stairs, the lifeboats or the toilets. A friendly ship aiming to please - you just have to be willing to be pleased."

• Holiday details: Aug 2015

ship needed a really good clean

"Very disappointing holiday ship needed a really good clean the cabin was shabby, towels were grey, tiles falling off the wall in shower. The food was always cold or lukewarm in all dining areas, portions in restaurants were tiny, tables were always dirty. The bar tables were never wiped after use so were always sticky and dirty. Toilets on board elsewhere on the ship were disgusting very rarely cleaned. The swimming pools and bubble pools were yellow with brown stains around the edges. A spoon feel out of the basket at breakfast onto the floor and a waiter picked it up and put it back into the basket for someone to use!!!!!!!"

• Holiday details: Jul 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Give the ship and complete overhaul with new training on cleanliness for all the crew

Customer Care? Never accept responsibility or apologise

"The cruise was a big disappointment. Little or no regard was given to those of us with mobility problems. The shuttle buses for Ravenna were a fiasco. Waiting over 90 minutes in searing heat. After ringing the boat, nobody was prepared to contact the port authority to ensure the service ran as advertised in the ship's daily bulletin. No apologies were offered. No member of the cruise staff was on hand to ensure those with mobility problems were able to get on the shuttle as there was a lot of pushing and shoving to get on to the bus. In Venice we were told there were no taxis or buses available and that we would have to walk for 15 minutes (25 minutes with walking problems!) to get to the monorail. On arrival the lift was not working so other passengers had to carry the wheelchair bound man down 30 steps! The return was easy as we simply took a taxi. No one on board apologized for the misinformation about the services in Venice.

The cabin ( inside plus) was fine, cool and clean and quiet. The food was very mediocre and inconsistently served. Waiters did not remember who ordered what. Ice cream had no variety and was often melting when it eventually arrived. Steak was an additional £9.95! Generally the dining experience was poor compared with other cruise companies.

The entertainment was "tired" and false. However the comedian was very funny and clean.

I know that many passengers loved the cruise, but for the money I paid (double for the single occupancy which meant that I paid double the tips!) I have had a much better quality of food, waiting and service, entertainment, port services and cabin stewards on other cruise lines.

My advice: seek out good deals on P&to ! I don't think you will be disappointed after a Thomson Experience (Hi-di-hi on a boat!)

• Holiday details: Jul 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Demand the service and care that Thomson advertise. Don't accept their avoidance of responsibility!

Not worth another stay on this tub

"Just back from a week-long cruise round the Adriatic having stayed on board Thomson Majesty. We booked an inside cabin for 4 people (parents and two daughters aged 17/19). We have cruised a few times previously round the Med but never with Thomson - and never again!

The short, quick review sounds like this:

*Hi-de-hi at sea with amateurish entertainment that included bingo and karaoke.

*Awful, dated and ridiculously cramped cabin.

*Unreliable plumbing.

*Silly arrival and departure times between the stops.

*Friendly staff especially in the restaurants.

*Reasonable food options spread across the restaurants/buffets.

The ultimate test of any holiday for us is 'would you go back?' And the simple answer is definitely not. We paid nearly £4000 (including the near £200 drinks bill) but it did not represent good value for money.

The longer review. . . we experienced a lot of the issues other travelers have mentioned in their reviews - dirty, grey and wet towels (yuk!) and worse, our toilet stopped working on more than one day and we had to resort to using the public toilets around the ship - really poor. We did get a 'sorry' letter on the last night with a bottle of wine by way of an apology but we'd rather have had a working toilet and clean towels. The food was a bit limited in terms of the options and veg always included carrots and a few potatoes and green beans but breakfast seemed to offer better variety in the buffet.

The trips we felt were overpriced, charging passengers to walk you round the local town you could walk round on your own (minus the guide, obviously) or to take the local transport that got us to the sights before those on the organized trips in some ports.

The staff included a group of singing waiters (self-titled 'Spice Boys') in the restaurants and they were fab - better entertainers than the so-called entertainers! Nothing was too much effort for the vast majority of the ship's staff so no gripes there.

The ship is really tired, quite small and whenever it berthed alongside other cruise ships, it really did look like a bit of a poor relative. We felt our cabin maids did what they could to keep it relatively tidy but not very clean. As with other travelers' reviews, we found sheets weren't changed but you got a towel-shaped animal on your bed at night. Great.

The cabin was absolutely tiny. Ridiculously so. We couldn't all get changed at the same time, in fact two of us struggled to get ready in there at the same time so we had to operate a rota where no more than two of us went down to the cabin at any one time. We got 4 bunk beds which was a bit of a shock. Because the ship was full we were told we couldn't switch.

Cases could be stored under the lower two bunk beds. The floor space is tiny and we could just about live with that . . . But not the shower/bathroom! Shockingly bad. It was so small that when you used the toilet you had less leg room than on a budget airline flight and your knees knocked the door! The shower curtain was disgusting and too small. The shower itself was actually ok but the shower cubicle was utterly awful with dark patches between the tiling. The sink tap was very loose but worked but a poor attempt to patch up the sink made it look grotty.

The biggest thing going for this cruise holiday ended up being the stops on the itinerary. Apart from the last one at Kotor, they were all pretty good, offering a reasonable variety. Our fave was Dubrovnik - we heartily recommend the cable car trip for the unparalleled views and the nice restaurant at the top but we did this ourselves using the local bus that left a stone's throw from the ship at a cost of roughly £10 return for all four of us. That was value.

Despite this, we would not travel again with this company or via Leeds//Bradford airport and it's reliance on a single carousel to return luggage from several flights at the same time!

• Holiday details: Aug 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Take your own towels.

First time cruising

"Right from boarding the ship the whole experience was fantastic! Great rooms with big picture window, immaculately clean, room maids couldn't do enough and were very helpful directing us round the ship. All staff very polite and friendly, food in every restaurant was tasty and nicely presented, entertainment was enjoyable and funny, kids club excellent those girls need a medal my 7 yr old had a fantastic time. Excursions were a plenty and interesting , the bike rides were very popular! Reception staff lovely.. On board shops were very nice and had various special offers. If I have one complaint same as everywhere. Sun beds! People will insist on reserving the with towels! It's not fair ! my daughter and I watched some on occasions and sometimes no one came to that sunbed for hours. It's not the ships fault they do have signs saying not to do it . It's inconsiderate people!"

Good

7/10
Cleanliness
Location
8/10

Need a hotel before or after your Thomson Majesty cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Do you own Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship?