Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship

, Thomson Cruises
Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship
Check the latest prices for this cruise

« 1 2 3 417 »
ship needed a really good clean

"Very disappointing holiday ship needed a really good clean the cabin was shabby, towels were grey, tiles falling off the wall in shower. The food was always cold or lukewarm in all dining areas, portions in restaurants were tiny, tables were always dirty. The bar tables were never wiped after use so were always sticky and dirty. Toilets on board elsewhere on the ship were disgusting very rarely cleaned. The swimming pools and bubble pools were yellow with brown stains around the edges. A spoon feel out of the basket at breakfast onto the floor and a waiter picked it up and put it back into the basket for someone to use!!!!!!!"

• Holiday details: Jul 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Give the ship and complete overhaul with new training on cleanliness for all the crew

Customer Care? Never accept responsibility or apologise

"The cruise was a big disappointment. Little or no regard was given to those of us with mobility problems. The shuttle buses for Ravenna were a fiasco. Waiting over 90 minutes in searing heat. After ringing the boat, nobody was prepared to contact the port authority to ensure the service ran as advertised in the ship's daily bulletin. No apologies were offered. No member of the cruise staff was on hand to ensure those with mobility problems were able to get on the shuttle as there was a lot of pushing and shoving to get on to the bus. In Venice we were told there were no taxis or buses available and that we would have to walk for 15 minutes (25 minutes with walking problems!) to get to the monorail. On arrival the lift was not working so other passengers had to carry the wheelchair bound man down 30 steps! The return was easy as we simply took a taxi. No one on board apologized for the misinformation about the services in Venice.

The cabin ( inside plus) was fine, cool and clean and quiet. The food was very mediocre and inconsistently served. Waiters did not remember who ordered what. Ice cream had no variety and was often melting when it eventually arrived. Steak was an additional £9.95! Generally the dining experience was poor compared with other cruise companies.

The entertainment was "tired" and false. However the comedian was very funny and clean.

I know that many passengers loved the cruise, but for the money I paid (double for the single occupancy which meant that I paid double the tips!) I have had a much better quality of food, waiting and service, entertainment, port services and cabin stewards on other cruise lines.

My advice: seek out good deals on P&to ! I don't think you will be disappointed after a Thomson Experience (Hi-di-hi on a boat!)

• Holiday details: Jul 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Demand the service and care that Thomson advertise. Don't accept their avoidance of responsibility!

Not worth another stay on this tub

"Just back from a week-long cruise round the Adriatic having stayed on board Thomson Majesty. We booked an inside cabin for 4 people (parents and two daughters aged 17/19). We have cruised a few times previously round the Med but never with Thomson - and never again!

The short, quick review sounds like this:

*Hi-de-hi at sea with amateurish entertainment that included bingo and karaoke.

*Awful, dated and ridiculously cramped cabin.

*Unreliable plumbing.

*Silly arrival and departure times between the stops.

*Friendly staff especially in the restaurants.

*Reasonable food options spread across the restaurants/buffets.

The ultimate test of any holiday for us is 'would you go back?' And the simple answer is definitely not. We paid nearly £4000 (including the near £200 drinks bill) but it did not represent good value for money.

The longer review. . . we experienced a lot of the issues other travelers have mentioned in their reviews - dirty, grey and wet towels (yuk!) and worse, our toilet stopped working on more than one day and we had to resort to using the public toilets around the ship - really poor. We did get a 'sorry' letter on the last night with a bottle of wine by way of an apology but we'd rather have had a working toilet and clean towels. The food was a bit limited in terms of the options and veg always included carrots and a few potatoes and green beans but breakfast seemed to offer better variety in the buffet.

The trips we felt were overpriced, charging passengers to walk you round the local town you could walk round on your own (minus the guide, obviously) or to take the local transport that got us to the sights before those on the organized trips in some ports.

The staff included a group of singing waiters (self-titled 'Spice Boys') in the restaurants and they were fab - better entertainers than the so-called entertainers! Nothing was too much effort for the vast majority of the ship's staff so no gripes there.

The ship is really tired, quite small and whenever it berthed alongside other cruise ships, it really did look like a bit of a poor relative. We felt our cabin maids did what they could to keep it relatively tidy but not very clean. As with other travelers' reviews, we found sheets weren't changed but you got a towel-shaped animal on your bed at night. Great.

The cabin was absolutely tiny. Ridiculously so. We couldn't all get changed at the same time, in fact two of us struggled to get ready in there at the same time so we had to operate a rota where no more than two of us went down to the cabin at any one time. We got 4 bunk beds which was a bit of a shock. Because the ship was full we were told we couldn't switch.

Cases could be stored under the lower two bunk beds. The floor space is tiny and we could just about live with that . . . But not the shower/bathroom! Shockingly bad. It was so small that when you used the toilet you had less leg room than on a budget airline flight and your knees knocked the door! The shower curtain was disgusting and too small. The shower itself was actually ok but the shower cubicle was utterly awful with dark patches between the tiling. The sink tap was very loose but worked but a poor attempt to patch up the sink made it look grotty.

The biggest thing going for this cruise holiday ended up being the stops on the itinerary. Apart from the last one at Kotor, they were all pretty good, offering a reasonable variety. Our fave was Dubrovnik - we heartily recommend the cable car trip for the unparalleled views and the nice restaurant at the top but we did this ourselves using the local bus that left a stone's throw from the ship at a cost of roughly £10 return for all four of us. That was value.

Despite this, we would not travel again with this company or via Leeds//Bradford airport and it's reliance on a single carousel to return luggage from several flights at the same time!

• Holiday details: Aug 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Take your own towels.

First time cruising

"Right from boarding the ship the whole experience was fantastic! Great rooms with big picture window, immaculately clean, room maids couldn't do enough and were very helpful directing us round the ship. All staff very polite and friendly, food in every restaurant was tasty and nicely presented, entertainment was enjoyable and funny, kids club excellent those girls need a medal my 7 yr old had a fantastic time. Excursions were a plenty and interesting , the bike rides were very popular! Reception staff lovely.. On board shops were very nice and had various special offers. If I have one complaint same as everywhere. Sun beds! People will insist on reserving the with towels! It's not fair ! my daughter and I watched some on occasions and sometimes no one came to that sunbed for hours. It's not the ships fault they do have signs saying not to do it . It's inconsiderate people!"

Ignore the negative reviews

"Having read all the negative reviews on many review sites, we were understandably wary about going on this ship, wondering what on earth we would be holidaying on. We worried needlessly!!!

Yes the ship is a little tired around the edges (it is quite old now) but it was spotlessly clean and the cabin was larger than what we had been led to believe. Yes the cabin was quite small, but we had room to walk around and the storage was more than enough for a week's worth of clothing. As for grey towels, we didn't encounter those - our towels were changed daily (sometimes twice!!) and were brilliantly white and fluffy. Our pool towels were a little faded but that is understandable due to the chlorine in the pool. Our cabin was cleaned every morning with the beds made up beautifully and again, it was tidied in the evening, once we had gone out. The pool towels were made into animals shapes and a copy of Cruise News delivered.

The food was good and plentiful. We ate in the restaurants at night and were often serenaded by the 'Spice Boys'. During the day we ate in the cafes, again food was plentiful and the afternoon tea was delicious!!

The staff were very friendly and worked incredibly hard, always with a big smile on their faces.

We tended to do our own things rather than go on the organized tours and were always given a big welcome back upon our return.

One area we didn't often go to was the pool deck. As our holiday was during high season, the pool (very small) was full of teenagers. We found a much quieter area to sunbathe on Deck 7.

The entertainment wasn't always to our taste, however, you couldn't be bored as there was always something going on, from quizzes to the casino, to the entertainment crew doing a West End show.

We had a brilliant week on the Thomson Majesty ship - I think that if you go with an open mind and remember that it is an old ship, you will have an amazing time.

• Holiday details: Aug 2015, booked with Thomson

Don't listen to the moaners

"This was my 10th cruise, I have always booked with RCI/NCL and also Star cruises, Big ships, Big companies, so I was a little wary of booking with little Thompson.

Let me assure you, I could find very little fault with this ship. Yes, the drinks package is not as described, as you have to pay extra for certain drinks, Jack Daniels being one of them, and come on, BELLS Whiskey being another, BELLS, the cheapest whiskey in any supermarket. The drinks are not served in the glasses that are shown on the menu's, but small tumblers, as are coca cola's, you can't have a large one, but they will keep getting you as many as you like. We found the food Excellent, good variety and always hot, and the curry's are to die for. We found the staff very friendly and helpful, more so than the bigger cruise ships, and these people were not being friendly to get tips, as it's all in!!! The entertainment was OK, but I found the Beatles show was a bit boring. The ports the ship docked at were industrial, which were a let down, but having said that, when we got the shuttle or walked into the town's, we really enjoyed ourselves. Yes, the ship is old and ageing, but the friendliness of the crew make it all worth while. The outside cabin we had was the biggest we have ever had on any cruise ship, and it was kept spotless. Well done Thompson, a couple of minor issues to sort out, but will definitely book with you again. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE MOANERS, these are the SADO'S that we have to live with in our society

Wonderful week on the Italian Job

"Having read the mixed reviews, I wasn't sure what the expect. Yes, the ship is a bit dated now (the TUI German ships in two of the ports were more modern with balconies as standard) but there are many, many positives. The staff worked extremely hard in making you happy ; the ship was kept spotlessly clean with clear attention given to hygiene; the food was plentiful and excellent (I strongly recommend paying the £20 supplement for the ten course bistro meal); very good value for money for the extras - drinks and excursions etc; entertainment was pretty good (though not fantastic). Overall, the old adage of 'you get what you pay for' holds true. My wife and I had a fantastic week and felt that the whole holiday was excellent value for money. I would definitely book another cruise with Thomson but would probably try another ship."

• Holiday details: Jul 2015, Booked Independently

Drinks Package & Other Useful Information!

"Hi everyone I would just like to give everyone a heads up on the drinks package and also the excursions. We sailed on the 3rd of July on the Italian Flavors cruise there were a lot of flaws, a lot of this blame goes to our travel agent.

First of all we were told we would get a room with a window with no obstructed view we also requested a double bed none of this met as there was a big orange life boat on the window with only a small view of the sea (I have included a photo) and also the room was tiny with 2 single beds so already off to a bad start. We sat for a few minutes then went off to find a bar as we were dieing for a Jack Daniels, we went to the top deck to get a drink poolside, we looked at the bar menu and couldn't believe our eyes (I have included photos of the full Bar Menu which is the same in every lounge/bar) We paid £200 each for the drinks package and were told that EVERYTHING was included Water, Cans of cola, All branded spirits So we were very disappointing when we learned you had to pay for a bottle of water, Cans of juice even cranberry juice and all cocktails including cranberry juice and what hurt most of all the Jack Daniels! As the holiday went on though we had tried almost every drink on the package and some that weren't as you can get them at a discounted price. The drinks are nice some of my favorites are the Mojito, Mambo, Cafe Frappe and Tequila Bum Bum which is a shot. You also get a Cocktail of the day which is free if your on the drinks package and it usually included one which you would normally need to pay extra for so that's good. We added up all out receipts when we were home and were glad to find we would have spent £540 if we didn't have the drinks package. Overall it is worth it but just a bit of a shock to learn a lot of it was extra! Now to the excursions, We asked our travel agent if we would need to pay for them she said 'Just some of them, Yes' but before we went we did do some research and picked which ones we would be doing it cost us £525 in total for 2 people to do - Blue Grotto in Malta, Erice in Trapani, Rome, Pompeii and Godfather tour in Messina which were all brilliant and I would recommend them but also be warned there is A LOT of walking and I mean for hours. The actual cruise ship is OK and worth it for £1500 for us both including drinks, its a little dated and when you get used to it it is quite small but there are lots of lounges and bars to choose from and the entertainment is ok. there are a few restaurants 2 of them are self service and the food is honestly not great we would sometimes wait to 11 o'clock at night because that's when they do burgers and hotdogs. They sometimes have themed nights like Indian but the currys are rank and the lamb is like rubber. They were trying to pass of tatty scones as nan bread! and the black pudding is inedible. If you want to go and get some more posher food from the menu restaurants you do have to sit with strangers usually 6 to a table which I personally find awkward the food is decent though. Its mostly Philippines, Polish and Russians who work on the boat they are all really great though and couldn't do enough for you, You never need to go to the bar they just serve you all night at your table and your never sitting without a drink.

A couple of other things -

* I recommend taking your card as everything is charged to your on board account they don't deal with cash. You need to put a £400 deposit down for things like excursions, Room service, Drinks ect.

* The pools are tiny you could probably fit about 12 people in them

* Every time you go to use toilet there will probably be someone in cleaning it I don't know why but they clean the toilet every 10 minutes and usually lock the door while there doing it

* If its your first time on a cruise like myself don't underestimate sea sickness and get some tablets straight away I could feel the boat moving about 70% of the time

* If your going on Italian Flavors Sicily is much nicer than Italy and so are the people. watch your time on the tours if your having something to eat because the waiters can be very slow. The shopping is also garbage.

* On the drinks menu the drinks marked with * are the ones you pay extra for and the price next to that is the price you pay if you don't have the package.

Thanks for reading my review I have tried to be as honest as possible and include as much as I can think of.

• Holiday details: Jul 2015, booked with Thomson

"This was our second time on the Majesty, the Hellenic criteria was brilliant and the stops lovely, however we had to complain about our cabin, firstly the toilet wouldn't flush and the engineer had to come back twice and secondly our cabin stewards gained the names 'lazy & idle' we had wet towels, which i had left on the floor to be changed, folded up and put back on the shelf, we had pool towels taken and not returned, we never had our tea/coffee/sugar/milk topped up at all and we only got chocolates and towel animals after i complained to reception, the evening entertainment was awful compared with last year, i sat through 3 Abba songs before i could stand it no more, the daytime activities were ok if you could hear it, the band Red Syndicate were diabolical, i paid £44 for a spa treatment but the staff were only interested in selling very expensive products an eye serum and moisturizer for £100+. on a plus the food was good with plenty of variety and the room was spacious.

we had a nice holiday overall, but we won't be cruising again in the near future.

• Holiday details: Jun 2015, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: good shopping offers

Fantastic week onboard Majesty

"Like the last reviewer I had my reservations about this cruise. I am pleased to say that my husband and I had a brilliant holiday. Our cabin had more than enough storage space and was kept immaculate by the stewards.

Food was a very high standard. Only one negative comment that is why I have marked this holiday 9/10 they definitely need to improve the quality of the coffee.

• Holiday details: Jun 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: The nightly entertainment in the Jubilee lounge should not be missed.

Thomson Majesty Colourful Coasts

"After reading the very mixed reviews on this and other sites I went into this trip, my very first cruise, thinking it might be OK but it could equally be a disaster.

I have to say the whole thing was an extremely pleasant surprise and experience. I can only think the negative reviews come from experienced cruisers who are comparing this to more modern ships and more expensive cruise lines.

We visited 5 different islands and 3 different countries in a week, including all meals and entertainment, for under £600 each (and no tipping surcharge). How can you beat that? Sure you can spend thousands cruising the Caribbean with Royal Caribbean et all, but why then compare it to a cruise aimed at a different target audience.

The room was larger than expected, clean towels and beds made TWICE a day. Our cleaners made the towels into different animal shapes each day which was very amusing. Friendly staff, enthusiastic performers and entertainment and ample food (yes it wasn't the greatest, but you get what you pay for). We drunk cocktails and beer most days and nights and saved bundles instead of taking out any of the expensive drinks packages (where you still have to pay supplementary fees for drinks).

On top deck the ship is a bit Smokey as soot comes from the funnels and sunbathing space is quite a squeeze on crowded days.

I would certainly recommend this for people going on a first time cruise.

As an aside and nothing to do with the cruise or ship, at he the end of it we weren't bitten by the cruise bug. Although we are glad we did it and enjoyed it, ultimately it felt rather like a glorified hop-on hop-off bus as you only got a brief taster of a few hours for each place visited. I now know I prefer staying in one place and exploring at leisure over days.

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Look at the drinks package costs and surplus charges carefully to see if it really is cost effective over paying for drinks individually

Amazing, how can people moan about it?!?!

"I never usually write reviews but after reading all of the negative comments before we went, I felt like I had to!

We got back last week from a week’s cruise around Greece and Turkey on the Thomson Majesty – it was absolutely amazing – I don’t understand how people can moan about it!! It was our first cruise so we weren’t too sure what to expect, but we absolutely loved it! We visited some lovely places and thoroughly the whole experience of ‘cruise life!’

We had an outside plus room on deck 6 - the room wasn’t as small as I had expected and there was plenty of storage space. The rooms were cleaned twice a day and the bathroom was like a wet room, which does the job.

Food – The buffet was good and they served snacks throughout the day and also afternoon tea every day, but the main restaurants were the best. We went there every evening and the service (especially Hesham and Sonbol) and food was great. The waiters all had a good sing song and were known as the ‘Spice boys’, such a great atmosphere! I've been on lots of all-inclusive holidays and I found the food on this boat to be the best, maybe it’s at a better standard on cruises than in a hotel, but it was great and we wasn't disappointed with any of the meals!

Entertainment - The entertainment and the team was amazing – they constantly had things going on throughout the day and night. The evening shows were brilliant (like west end shows) and they had deck parties throughout the week, as well as a ‘captain’s ball’ which were great fun. The comedian was amazing too!

The staff on the boat were all so friendly and helpful. They also bring your drinks to you whilst your sunbathing around the boat and watching the shows, so you don’t even have to get up!

The only thing we thought was a bit cheeky was that some of the drinks incurred a small supplement charge, which I don’t think is fair when you’ve already paid for an all-inclusive drinks package. There were only a few of them, but I just think everything should be included. Also, if you want any more drinks after 2am in the night club you need to pay for these too, but just stock up beforehand if you want a late one!

I can’t compare it to other cruises as this was our first one but we met lots of people and everyone we spoke to was having an amazing time! The people who have moaned about it must have ridiculously high expectations!!! It’s what you make of it really – we absolutely loved everything about it so made the most of it and wasn’t worried about silly things like having grey towels (which we didn’t have by the way, but as long as they’re clean, who cares!)

It was a great holiday and we can’t wait to do another one – I would recommend it to anyone!!!

• Holiday details: Jun 2015, booked with Thomson

« 1 2 3 417 »

Average rating

Room: 6.5/10
Food: 7.5/10

Need a hotel before or after your Thomson Majesty cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Do you own Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship? Share your insight.