Ambre Hotel

Service: 8.5/10
Food: 9.5/10
Value: 8.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Ambre Hotel

1 2 »
Unfriendly to dogs

"Please be warned that Mauritius has a dog problem. Enjoyed the holiday at the time but extremely disappointed reading between the lines how the dogs were treated."

• Holiday details: Jul 2014, booked with Thomson

lovely hotel lovely location

"my wife and I have holidayed in this hotel for the last two years and have found it to be excellent. The staff are really helpful and polite at all times and go out of there way to ensure you have everything you want.The service in the restaurant is exceptional, from the hostess who shows you to your table to the staff who take your orders for your drinks which are delivered to your table while you select your meal at the buffet.The beach, which is probably one of the best on the island is also well served by the staff there who will bring your drinks to you while relax on your sunbed.The traders on the beach who try to sell you anything from a T shirt to a shopping bag can be a nuisance but after a few refusals to buy they leave you alone.If you need a taxi to go anywhere do not use the taxis just outside the hotel as they are very expensive just take a five minute stroll along the beach and negotiate a fair price with one of them.The entertainment was not to our liking very much as it was much to loud buo there were comfortable sofas away from the show area on which to relax.The rooms inthe hotel are very good but if you can arrange ask for a room in the 200 block as they the best.When we were leaving the hotel after our holiday it was 4am but even at that time we were given a choice of tea or coffee and a selection of croissants.Would I recommend this hotel yes I would for a relaxing holiday in a lovely hotel.I think its the little things which make a place special and what made it fos was that one of the cleaning staff not only remembered us from the year before but also our old room number so all in all a lovely hotel in a lovely location."

• Holiday details: Jun 2010, All Inclusive, booked with Mercury Direct
  • Advice: lovely hotel wiyh great service

Impressive

"I so intensively enjoy the moments I spent at this superb resort, making the most of everything at every instant, tasting the exquisite meal proposed at the four cool, nice and very very equipped as well as very well maintained restaurants with experienced and professional staff . The pool area is warm and cool.

This is an ideal place for those who want to spend dreamlike moments in a dreamlike place.

• Holiday details: Jan 2010, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: to come here

Fabulous!!

"This Hotel is the best I have ever stayed in. You certainly get the wow factor as soon as you arrive. The bedrooms are beautiful, very contemporary and well equipped. The food in the Hotel is excellent and the staff are a credit to this Hotel, always friendly, helpful and always there when you need anything."

• Holiday details: Aug 2009, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: this place is a paradise on earth

Quite Good!

"We're pleasantly surprised by the welcome, kindness and receptiveness of the whole staff. The warm and friendly expression of the people cannot be unnoticed. About catering, with aperitif as well as lunches, everything is perfect and we're ready to come back and enjoy it again"

• Holiday details: Apr 2009, All Inclusive, Booked Independently

A friendly stay in this hotel

"We’re extremely pleased with our stay in this hotel. We appreciated the kindness, good humor of the staff. This is the first time we have met such welcoming people as compared to the number of stays we have done. The rooms, the meals and other services are of very good qualities. We'll praise the merits of the hotel to our friends and families. We'll certainly come back for another stay."

• Holiday details: Jun 2009, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: wonderful

Cosy and nice place!

"The whole family spent a very nice stay at the hotel. What is most striking is the friendliness and the availability of the staff, which did everything to satisfy customer needs. The hotel is beautiful and very clean, food is good, what a treat! My children were not bored, they had full days with events, sports, beach, pool, games room among other things ... they really enjoyed"

• Holiday details: Aug 2009, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: To visit its SPA

What a dream Stay!

"Right from our arrival at the hotel, we were put into the atmosphere, the hotel is located in a dreamlike setting with a beautiful beach, and rooms are very nice as well. The staff in many respects is exceptional whether it's at the reception, in rooms, bar, or restaurant. Food is based on European dishes and exotic ones. We liked the performances and the various activities proposed by the entertainment team."

• Holiday details: Sep 2009, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: To visit Ambre Hotel with its dreamlike setting

We stayed in this hotel for two...

"We stayed in this hotel for two nights in January 2008, the food was the worst I have seen in a very long time in fact we walked into the buffet and walked out again. Even when we ate a la carte the food was terrible.

The staff in the restaurants were surly and could not care less but the worst thing to me was the fact that the hotel was dirty in every respect, rooms, and restaurants thank god I ever saw the kitchen.

The hotel was dominated by noisy Italians who let their children go mad in the pool and surrounding area and when asked the staff refused to do anything. The beach sellers roam around the pool area and beach dining area and are a persistent nuisance the dogs on the beach beg from the tables and crap next to where you are eating.

I asked to talk to the manager but he never got in touch- I heard he is an Italian-I would say if one wanted a pleasant holiday go to the West side of the island and stay at the Sands Resort it is one hundred times better and it is two thirds of the price.

I am going to write to the Mauritius tourist board as the star rating on this hotel should be changed to 2 star.

Be warned do not waste your money here.

Pathetic service and really not a great experience

"We had an aweful experience with Apavou. Was booked into La Plantation after being promised and amazing experience by our Travel Agent. When we got there the hotel was still being renovated with no warm water and the toitlet not working. The bath water smelled like sewage and there was obviously a problem with the water sanitation. We were then transfered, after much trouble, to the cheaper Ambre. Ambre is at best a 3star hotel. Although the beaches are beautiful everything else was poor. the waiters are not trained, food is budget and avg quality and management do not care about all the stray dogs on the beach and begging at the tables during dinner.

Apavou management was a huge disappointment and we are still waiting for a price difference refurnd they committed to in writing. They also wanted us to sign an indemnity which I refused.

I would recommend that you avoid Apavou at any cost. Really not worth spoiling a well deserved holiday

Video clips of La Plantation renovation have been posted on youtube

[--]

Great Service

"This was our first time in Mauritius and although we found the island slightly disappointing we loved the Ambre. We took the all-inclusive option as there is little or no alternative in the vicinity. The main restaurant was ok but the others (albeit some had supplements to add) were excellent.

The room was large with great views and the maids were superb. The service in the bars was wonderful and after the first night they knew exactly what we wanted for pre-dinner drinks.

The setting on the beach was great, ideal for long leisurely walks.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and found it good value for money.

NIce hotel and experience but nothing exceptional.

"I stayed for 5 nights and although I had a great time and Mauritius as a destination is amazing the hotel just didn't excite me in any way.

When you arrive the hotel has real WOW factor with security opening the gates so you can enter the courtyard, which leads into the open reception area with fountain and views through the bar onto the pool, beach and ocean. You are then given a welcome drink and welcomed by the hotel staff. I had asked for early check in and the hotel did make this available for me but they do have a transfer room if yours it not available and for when you leave.

We stayed All Inclusive and like many of the reviews have mentioned it is very confusing, the staff do explain and you get a letter with the details. Just make sure that when you order anything you do say All Inclusive.

The room we had was very central to the bar, restaurants and pool. It was an extremely large room, in good decorative order, but had no balcony and 2 singles made in to a double bed. We did experience a little noise from the bar at night but nothing unbearable.

The service from the staff that you received was hit or miss and totally random, it has nothing to do with what nationality you are, because we went when the restaurant opened for dinner and received top service (purely because it was empty), while when we usually went later sometimes we had finished our main course before our drink order had been taken.

I would stay at this hotel again but only after I've looked at all my options as I say there was nothing wrong with it, just that it didn't give the WOW factor that the island deserves.

1 2 »