Splendour of the Seas Cruise Ship

Royal Caribbean Cruises
7.5 / 10
Average rating (17 reviews)
Splendour of the Seas Cruise Ship

Dissapointing and repetitive - Dubai Cruise

"My husband and I have just returned from a week's cruising around Dubai, Khasab, Muscat and Abu Dhabi and to be completely honest, we were rather disappointed. Having cruised with Royal Caribbean previously (Florida), we were quite excited about this trip.

Service

* The state rooms were maintained and the system of the cards in the locks saying "do not disturb, or clean my room" worked well (although we did not discover them until day 3!).

* I loved the towel art (we had two sculptures on our 7 day cruise).

* There was lots of confusion when we arrived at Dubai airport. We located the Royal Caribbean cruise people and then we were all given various stickers ie: Green B, Blue A, Yellow A, Red C - there was no explanation what this meant, we just had to guess.

* At the hotel (interim between the airport and the ship), we finally figured out what the stickers were for - we were called up in batches to join a coach to take us to the ship! (Breakfast was excellent at the hotel by the way).

Entertainment

* One word to describe the entertainment was "repetitive". The singers in the bar sang the same songs each evening. The "laugh for gags" was on repeat constantly on the big screen. My husband watched Jurassic Park three times, and Mission Impossible a few times as there were only a few films showing on the TV. We watched The Beatles live performance - which was painful, and then they were doing the exact same show the next night (back by popular demand apparently). We did watch two films on the big screen by the pool, which was nice (with comfortable blankets).

Food

• One word to describe the food was "repetitive". We ate in the Windjammer most of the time. On our previous cruise the food in the windjammer was brilliant, but this time we were extremely disappointed. The variety was fine for the first few nights, but it soon became the norm. We are not the type to dress for dinner, so we preferred the buffet style of the Windjammer, rather than eating A La Cart in the dining room. Burgers, pasta, pizza, curry, cheese etc. We ate in the King & I Restaurant on day 5 and in hindsight, I would certainly have booked up more often if I had known how little choice we were going to be given.

Drinks Packages

We had two packages. One for specialty coffee's etc, and the other for wine/beer. It got to the 2nd day and I realized that I was not making the most of my alcoholic package (I was drinking around 2-3 glasses of wine a night). To make the most of my package I would need to drink at least 8 glasses a day. I asked for a refund and swapped it over to the coffee package, which worked better for me.

Sea Pass

Warning - DO NOT put your sea pass anywhere near your phone. It will wipe the card and you can not access your room. Both hubby and I had to change our sea passes, and others did as well. I also bought a lanyard from the gift shop.

Cleanliness

As mentioned, the rooms were clean, but they are starting to look tired. There were hand sanitizer everywhere which was great and staff camped out at the stations to make sure that people cleaned their hands before and after eating etc.

Shuttle Bus

Each time you left the ship you were expected to get on a shuttle bus that would take you to the mall or dock. There was always lots of confusion at this point (especially at Muscat as you got on a bus to travel 200ft, then got off, walked through a building for security checks, then got back on again). Many of the drivers of the buses did not speak English, so we were unsure if we were getting on the right bus or not, and there was lots of pointing going on! They also had seats that opened up in the middle (isle) which gave us a giggle, but it was rather unsafe.

Overall, we enjoyed our cruise as the weather was fantastic and it was interesting exploring places such as Abu Dhabi and Muscat (Khasab was not much there, although I did do a spot of geocaching). If you use the ship as a base then it was fine, but if you were counting the ship as the main part of your holiday then you may be disappointed.

• Holiday details: Jan 2016, Booked Independently
  • Advice: The Souk in Muscat was great!

Highly Recommend!

"This was my first time on a cruise ship and it definitely won't be my last! Had an amazing time with Royal Caribbean, you are well looked after the whole trip! (Even after you've left the ship on your way home there's Royal Caribbean reps at the airport to help you find your gate etc)!!

The rooms were perfect, clean and tidy (lovely housekeeping staff always smiling). Our parents were next door so we had adjoining balconies which was great! There was no shortage of different places to eat and drink and chill out. Our usual waiter Vitale was really nice and had a laugh with us. We went to the sushi restaurant one night for my birthday it was delicious and the staff were very friendly - couldn't do enough for you.

The entertainment was good - always something on! The game shows were especially funny & got everyone involved!

We also went to the spa for a hot stone massage was amazing and the girls were lovely and really took the time to customize your massage to what you would benefit from most!

We were on a cruise for 7 days and i don't think we done the same thing twice! I can't think of anything i didn't like... Maybe the shore excursions are a little overpriced (we just copied the itinerary and done it in a local taxi for like 1/4 the price), but maybe it was worth it for the tour guide etc?

Anyway it was an amazing holiday I would definitely go back with Royal Caribbean and the Splendor of the Seas team were great!

• Holiday details: Oct 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Book any massage/special restaurants etc at start of trip (plan ahead).

Wonderful first time cruise on Splendour

"Booked a junior suite, which was beautiful, perfectly clean, very comfortable beds, not a thing to complain about. Very pleasant staff everywhere on the ship. Went on one organised excursion, extremely good.

Food very enjoyable both in the King and I and Windjammer and always hot and cold drinks available free throughout the day. Also free ice creams and various treats including fruit kebabs, paella, risotto demos etc.

Lovely ship, would certainly book to go on again.

• Holiday details: Jun 2012, Booked Independently

Absolutely fantastic

"This ship has undergone an amazing refurbishment, everywhere is spotless clean, staff can't do enough for you and the King and I dining room was amazing, the food was gorgeous every night and the waitress were fantastic. We only went to one show in the theatre but most nights they put on a fantastic show in the centrum using bungee ropes, flying wires etc, i don't want to give too much away but it was absolutley breathtaking.

We travelled with my parents who have been on many cruises and they said this is by far the best ship they've been on. Our 6 year old daughter was very well looked after, all staff very friendly towards her.

• Holiday details: Jun 2012, Booked Independently

very disappointing

"Recently we have been on a 10 days cruise through the eastern part of the mediterranean sea.

We had booked a junior suite for app. 5800 USD in order to have a comfortable time on board. On board we had to realize that all suites are located on deck 8 below the promenade and activity deck. I do not know if there is noise protection installed between these decks.

We were confronted with numbers of people running above our heads, listening to the constant moving of deck chairs, the playing of table tennis all day long even during the night times.

We asked at the purser's desk for a remedy f.e. change of the stateroom. We got the answer, that all staterooms were occupied, if not ‘solve the problem then work with the problem’.

That meant that people were still running, moving chairs and playting table tennis until late at night.

We could not find the relaxation we had looked for neither during day nor during night time. We only spent time in our suite when necessary. We talked with some other guests who were in the same situation. They also had complained about the noise issue…

We asked for a simple outer stateroom on a lower deck. We were not offered such a room.

After a couple of days we asked at least for a financial compensation in the difference between a suite and a normal cabin with balcony. At the time of booking the fare for such a cabin was at 4500 USD. After times of discussion we were finally offered 500 USD much less than the difference we had asked for.

The purser’s supervisor never talked to us personally. He just let us know that it was more than the company would probably ever be willing to pay.

We agreed in order to find a settlement finally. After 10 days of debating and discussion we had enough of the ‘wonderful splendour of the seas’.

It was a very disappointing experience!

• Holiday details: Jul 2011, All Inclusive, Booked Independently

very expensive on board

"Been on lots of cruises this was by far the most expensive for on board drinks. Average price for a glass of wine and a beer is 20 dollars. Object to paying gratuities with every round of drinks.

Entertainment was very average with shows only lasting about 45 minutes.Also second sitting had to go to show at 7.15 which defeats the purpose of second sitting. People chose second sitting to allow time coming back from trips. When show was finished you had to wait for an hour to go to dinner at nine which is too late.

Food excellent and more than enough although this is the only cruise I have been on where you only get 3 courses at dinner. Speciality coffees on dinner menu i.e. latte etc but if you chose this you are charged. Waiters were excellent as usual.

Would only cruise with Royal Caribbean again if I was getting a very good deal which would compensate for the on board prices

• Holiday details: May 2011, full board, booked with Barrhead travel

Fantastic Holiday

"We returned from the Greek Islands cruise in August and we had a really good time, food was excellent, service from all the staff was excellent. Only drawback was prices of drinks and gratuities. We did give tips but not as much as Royal Caribbean suggest. All in all a really restful holiday and would definately cruise again."

• Holiday details: Aug 2010, All Inclusive, booked with Value Travel

First Cruise with RCL

"have just had a weeks cruise round the greek islands

ship very clean and the food was excellent,the staff on board were very good nothing to much trouble for them

the only fault was the prices on board 23dollars for 2 glasses of wine,and 5dollars for a pint of beer and 15% added on every time you got a drink.also you had to pay for the shuttle bus 5dolldrs each way,i have been on many cruises and have never had to pay so high prices will not go with rcl unless the drop their prices.

• Holiday details: Jun 2010, FULL BOARD, booked with THE CRUISE VILLAGE

fab holiday

"went on splendour of seas with all my family and absolutely loved it, what a relaxing holiday we had, the staff are wonderful, and the food was the best ive ever had the boat itsself was spotlessly clean as were the rooms, really enjoyed going to kussidassi, its a shame we were only there for 1 week, would definately go again"

• Holiday details: Oct 2009, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
  • Advice: fantastic holiday

Never again

"This was our first cruise with Royal Caribbean.We were told by our travel agent that you couldn't go wrong with RCI. We have previously cruised on the Thomson Spirit and with Ocean village.The ship was very tired in places,carpets well past their best. The entertainment was pretty poor.Only on two nights was the show worth watching and even then it only lasted 45 minutes hardly worth the bother. Our stateroom was fine and comfy but a new shower curtain would have been nice.However our rooms were serviced twice a day.

On a plus side we did" My time dining" in The King and I restaurant, the food was good as was the service.

We had already paid almost £150 in gratuties when we paid for the cruise.We are a family of three and we felt this was a bit steep ,so don't do it.There is also a 15% tax on our your drinks..

We were dumped at Marco Polo airport at the end of our cruise,of course the airport was closed. We had to stay in Venice for three extra nights at out own expence before we were able to get a bus home to Scotrland. RCI did not want to know.

We were unhappy with the state of the ship and the way we were treated at the end of the cruise.

It is highly unlikely that we will ever use RCI again.It has put my 14 year old son completely off going on holidays

• Holiday details: Apr 2010, Full board, Booked Independently

Dining Arrangement

"Cruises with RCI Splendour of the Sea from Venice to Greek Islands and Turkey Aug 09.

Overall very pleased with ship, bit tired in places but the crew really do help to make you feel relaxed. The week flew by, all ports of call ok apart from Corfu where earlier cruise ships had taken the quay-slots and SoS passengers were disembarked with own tenders, a slow and labourious process !

Other gripe was the Dining arrangeemnts, we had pre-booked 12 months earlier requesting 2nd sitting. On embarkation in Venice we were supplied with usual Sea Pass which we later discovered ALSO should have been printed with our table number. Ours did not. Only when we arrived for our 9.00pm dinner on the 1st night was a scene not much short of bedlam. The poor Head Waiter was beseiged by many passengers with same situation. Apparently Head Office in the USA were at fault and had over-booked 2nd sitting. After long wait (did not eat till 10.00pm) we were placed with 6 very nice Spanish people who spoke no English. H.W. said he would sort it and next morning we also mentioned it to concierge. Immediate response from RCI - next day were given confirmation of table number for rest of vacation. This time we joined 10 people (7 Americans and 3 English) on one massive table all of which were absolutely fab people. The Head Waited put on a show with his staff on the 2nd night (normally I think reserved for last night) as a way to apologise for the earlier problem. The problem should not have occured but did help us to determine the tipping at the end of the voyage.

• Holiday details: Aug 2009, booked with Cumbria Cruises

Splendour of the Seas

"This was our 5th cruise with Royal Carribean and what a disapointment this was. Tired ship and many facilities need to be addressed. My Time Dining is a farce - you cannot dine when you want to - we were honestly told that if we did not dine at 7.30 p.m. then the next time available was 9.00 p.m. We only wanted 8.00 p.m. but were told this was the change over time. Toilets did not flush on the morning of departure but then again our State room attendant told us this was normal on the last morning!! Never experiened this before. The entertainment was the worse ever! One show time only on most of the nights and many shows of the RCI Singers and dancers instead of bringing artists on board to entertain us. The trips offered were poor. The one trip made was Corfu which we had visited for holidays twice before. Who wants to travel 1 1/2 hours to Palio to view a Monistery for 15 mins. and then be dropped back in Corfu Town for just 55 mins. before last bus leaves for ship. As usual Crew were great! Thanks Roger and Dinesh you made our cruise in the King and I Dining Room. Will we RCI again - I think not!!"

• Holiday details: Sep 2009, Booked Independently

Good

Room
8.5/10
Service
9/10
Food
8.5/10

Need a hotel before or after your Splendour of the Seas cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Top traveller tips for Splendour of the Seas Cruise Ship

• by Molsmum

" Watch the trapeze show in the centrum, or catch a show in the theatre. "

Do you own Splendour of the Seas Cruise Ship?