Oriana Cruise Ship

P&O Cruises
Average rating (55 reviews)
Oriana Cruise Ship

Engine noise makes cabins at the rear end a no go area. & Long wait at check in

"We booked a short short cruise (thank goodness it was only 5 nights)and chose an outside cabin at the back thinking i would afford nice views of the ports. Trouble was the engine noise and rumble (the bed actually bounced because of it)meant we did not get a decent night sleep throughout the cruise. Definitely a mechanical fault with the engines that they need to fix.

P&O have now decided to make your check in time on the e-ticket a compulsory time and make you wait in the check in hall until this time.

Because we leave early to allow for the usual M25, M3 snarl up but on this occasion we sailed through and arrived early we waited for nearly 2 hours siting on a hard plastic seat. Call this a friendly company?

• Holiday details: Oct 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Dont book a cabin at the rear until they fix the engine problem

0riana a disaster ship

"We booked a cruise with friends . They was in a cabin next door . We paid £4,000 per head with £85 obs. The cabin the other side of us paid £2,800 per head plus £385 obs. They booked 3 months before us direct to p&o same as us they had no special deal. The cabins were drab , the ship is outdated and drab ,no decent entertainment ,only the headliners.our meals were hurried between courses . Punters don't book Orians Cruise Ship , we paid an extra 3 better off staying at home,we paid an extra £2,200 per cabin its disgusting and immoral I i call it legalized fraud."

• Holiday details: Jun 2015, Booked Independently

go elsewhere

"Must say my cruise on Oriana was the worse cruise I have ever done. Ship limped about, missed a port, other ports closed due to being Sunday and public holiday and arriving late in another port. The food in both the buffet and restaurants were poor. The entertainment was average. Noise from the engine room dire. This ship is certainly not as she once was. Cutbacks abound."

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: go elsewhere
  • Good For: , City Breaks

Oriana getting a little tired and noisy

"Cruised on the 23 Jan 2015 boarding not too much of a trial, cabin ready straight away.Up to the conservatory food OK,

evening meal very good and waiters helpful.went to show which was OK .then to bed,that's when we noticed the difference

Between this and our last cruise,the noise and vibration it was bad and continued until they had to do some repairs to I don't know what as we not informed,and for a couple nights we actually got a decent nights sleep.That stopped on the last night as there was a terrible grating noise that carried on till we docked.The ship is looking a little tired and dated .But other than that We have nothing to complain about. Hold it the price of drinks are too steep.

Don and Coral Cox.

8/2/15

• Holiday details: Jan 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Remember it is an old ship.

Voyage of a Lifetime ? Wish I hadn't bothered!

"The constant infliction of hand gel going into food areas and boarding/leaving the ship is a joke. There were so many ill passengers on the cruise from which I have just returned that the whole ship and it's spluttering air-conditioning needs fumigating. Passengers were coughing constantly in all areas, using the bars, theaters and corridors where any surfaces touched were not subjected to the hand gel routine. There was copious amounts of fluff visible in the skirting board gratings leading to the cabins. The tv remotes were encrusted with muck (God knows what!) and the keyboards used by the future cruise books were thick in dust and grime. I witnessed crew in the Conservatory wiping the chairs and tables surface's with the same cloth and with no washing of the cloth from table to table. The cabin steward was delightful but overworked. The waiters in the Oriental were professional. So many passengers (virtually everyone was well past retirement age) and crew became poorly with coughs, sneezes etc and there were incidents of hospital disembarkation on the islands and that some passengers left the ship in disgust. At no time did the captain make any announcement to passengers about the obviously increasing level of illness and what was to be done to alleviate it. After feeling unwell and coughing for the last week of the cruise, I have come home to be diagnosed with pneumonia and am on complete bed rest and medications (and I was one of the younger passengers on board at 65 !) This was a cruise which I booked 18 months ago and for which I saved hard. It will be my last cruise!!! P and O need to investigate and compensate."

• Holiday details: Dec 2014

Oriana 4th May 2014 (Henry Kelly)

"I did the 2 week Baltic cruise. Music at sea festival was on and Henry Kelly hosted this. I have never met such a rude person totally rude to the passenger and very suggestive. Watch out if you are under 50 and traveling on your own when he is about. I met other female travelers and they had the same problem. We had to report it in the end but as usual nothing done."

mistaken charges?

"We were charged for items allegedly purchase from the shop on dis-embarkation day, after the shops were shut and after our account had been finalized .. the charge just appeared on our credit card statement. Money was only refunded after we asked for proof of purchase. P&O claimed it was a mistake and the usual bland assurances were given. Has this happened to anybody else or is it really just an isolated mistake?"

• Holiday details: Mar 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: take warm clothing

Never Again

"Third time I have tried this ship in ten years never again good for the OAPs.

Poor Food, staff not interested in service, management never to be seen and did not talking to the passengers.The activities time table badly planned. P & O have gone down hill will go back to Cunard.

• Holiday details: May 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Dont book this ship.

0riana cruise 4th May 2014 St.Petersburg.

"Glad I didn't read the awful reviews because I wouldn't have gone.But i didn't and it was wonderful. Spotless toilets all over the ship. Cabins, we had an inside cabin, spotless and definitely adequate.plenty of wardrobe space, a TV.a fridge and the beds were home comfort. Spotless clean sheets and spotless fluffy towels, every day. Made to feel like a queen when eating in the 0riental and the entertainment staff brilliant.Lots to do and we are booking again for September for my birthday celebrating with my 4 adult children/plus husbands and wives.Have some of these discontented reviewers forgotten the airport routines, where every passenger was made to feel like a criminal, where trolleys had a charge, endless waiting for luggage and also paying for luggage. Good luck P&O you did us fine and there is nobody more critical than a Virgo woman."

• Holiday details: May 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: see top line films on board,enjoy the headliner shows and enjoy being papmered in the beauty salon

Abysmal cruise on the Noriana

"Cruise to Arctic to see Northern Lights. Ship had outbreak of noro virus and technical problems that plagued the next cruise. Took hours to check in due to supposed 'deep clean'. How a ship can be deep cleaned in an afternoon to eradicate Noro virus I don't know as it takes days to deep clean small areas in a hospital.

Left Southampton very early morning over 12 hours late as repairs were not completed in time, so missed out on the excitement of sail away. Noro virus restrictions from the outset. Buffet was a shambles, people everywhere, queuing for half hour for a cup of tea as only one drinks station open. Food (when you could get some) was very average canteen style. Main restaurant food again very mediocre. Ocean grill (extra charge) was decent. Trips incredibly overpriced and disorganized. Noro virus spread continued throughput the cruise making it very unpleasant to be on this ship. Ship broke down yet again, in spite of being in port at Alta having more repairs so next Port Tromso arrived at 4pm! Ship also missed Bergen, allegedly due to weather but suspect the ship just didn't have time as had to travel so slowly due to engine problems. And as for P&O customer service?- the most rude and indifferent people I have ever had the misfortune to deal with. I will never set foot on the Oriana or cruise with PO again, there are simply better cruise lines out there who treat customers with respect not disdain.

• Holiday details: Mar 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Stay at home

Noriana

"I was on the Oriana Dec 2012 on the 10 day Christmas Market cruise. I was one of the three passengers that got this out into the media, to let the people on the next cruise aware what was going on.

My wife was very ill from the Noro bug, in fact she has been ill on & off with feeling unwell all year. I will say that we did come to a final compensation cash payment and not money towards another cruise, as my wife will never go on another cruise ship. But like other reviewers if i had been made aware that Noro was on the previous cruise i would not have got on the cruise. It also seems that everyone is giving the captain the same nickname of Captain b*** s***. Happy cruising everyone

• Holiday details: Dec 2012, Booked Independently

Honest First Time Cruise Review

"This is an honest review for first time cruise experience. The car service and embarkation at Southampton was quick, easy and efficient. First impressions were disappointing - Entering this ship looked like entering a regular freight/ passenger ship -nothing enticing or exciting. Then shown to buffet dining area which was mayhem and looked and tasted like school canteen - Very bad first impressions. Deluxe Balcony cabin was not deluxe, bathroom looked like something from the 70's being peach, with a smell of stale water and damp towels. The balcony door didn't close properly and we were absolutely freezing all night even after they had 'fixed' the problem. The main areas of the ship are comfortable but I was totally shocked when told that this ship had been refurbished a year ago - perhaps the 80s look is coming back in fashion?? The entertainment was basically like your typical famous UK camp resorts where the compares are the entertainers. I was astounded that P&O repeated the entertainment on a 2 day rota and several other passengers had seen the same entertainers over the past years they have cruised WOW?. Food in the main dining restaurant was ok however several members of staff had a major BO problem. The spa services was nothing exceptional and very expensive. Staff on the whole were ok but they must be coming to the end of their contract as the majority look as if they couldn't be bothered. The Marco Pierre White restaurant was exceptional and a definite must for anyone!! The excursions are extortionate and a cash cow for P&O.

The ability to visit different cities is the best service of a cruise and I enjoyed the experience and loved the people I met on the ship which made the trip for me. The idea of cruising for me was that a cruise would be luxury as opposed to a ship being a means of travel. If this had been longer than 4 days I would have got off and flew back. I was on a ship -P and O was not a cruise for me.

• Holiday details: Nov 2013, Booked Independently

Cleanliness
6/10
Location
5/10

Need a hotel before or after your Oriana cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Top traveller tips for Oriana Cruise Ship

• by Vivienne Herbert

" Just enjoy everything this lovely ship has to offer! "

• by Mike Baron

" Make sure you know in advance what might be added to your cabin account "

Do you own Oriana Cruise Ship?