Castillo Del Sol Apartments

Avenida Gran Canaria, 11, Gran Canaria 35130, Spain
Average rating (123 reviews)
Hotel photo More hotel photos

Recent traveller reviews

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Castillo Del Sol Apartments

fab

"For what I paid for this holiday for two adults I was more than impressed. With the recent refurbishment I'm glad I chose this hotel. The decoration of the hotel has been tastefully done. Its bright and airy with good furnishings.

I had a room on the ground floor which was perfect.. it was quiet, cool, close to the pool and bar and reception. The staff i dealt with during my 4 night stay were very helpful and pleasant and always had a smile. If you have mobility issues you will struggle with the 164 steps you walk up to the hotel, however taxis are at a reasonable price.

like most of the hotels in Puerto Rico the beach is in close walking distance as is the shopping center which has numerous restaurants, bars and shops.

• Holiday details: Mar 2016
  • Advice: Request ground floor for a peaceful sleep

Lovely hotel but the staff are rude

"Lovely hotel, clean and tidy.

The staff are rude mainly on reception, the attitude stinks...

Really disgusting behavior to English. Have visited before and was lovely staff but the new staff are foul.

Will not stay here again. Marina Suites will visit them again.

• Holiday details: Jan 2016, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: Dnt visit reception

Irish 64 years old couple

"Stayed here about 10 times with 3 more booked, stayed all over P.Rico this is best place.Very clean, Great security,Good location,Very friendly & helpful staff.

Our latest stay March 14.

• Holiday details: Mar 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Great fun in the pubs at night suits all ages

FANTASTIC YET AGAIN

"Yet another fantastic holiday. We all know that most places in Puerto Rico are basic and this place is no different.Yes it could do with an update but the place is kept spotless by the army of cleaners who are very good.Cant wait for the next in April-May 2013"

• Holiday details: Sep 2012, booked with Thomas Cook

bed bugs

"just got back for holiday and i had bad last 3 days as i waetting bitten by bed bugs and now i am suffering cast me 15 pounds to buy cream t stop the itch while i was staying there and the bites are still there now they say you pay for what you get but god bed bugs, my husband was fine but i got a cover out the wwardrobe and we think thats wen hell started i looked like i had a fight with stinging nettles spoilt my last few days"

• Holiday details: Oct 2011, Room Only, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: take something to totally clean room out

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

"Just home from the Castillo del Sol Apartments, there was 7 of us ranging from 19-28 and including our father who is in his 50's and we went for 9nights from the 25th of August.

All I can say about our trip was NEVER AGAIN!!

I stayed in the Gloria Palace hotel in Peurto Rico a few years ago and loved it (it was amazing) but I will never return to the Castillo Del sol....it was terrible!

The apartments were grand for the price you pay and they were a good size and included an oven. But if there is 3 in one apartment 1 person will have to sleep on the couch as they will only give two beds per room.

Also there is no air con, but you can rent a fan from reception for around €1.50 per night and this will also help to drown out the noise from the center (which is really loud).

You can also rent a kettle and toaster for around the same price.

The apartments were fairly clean(not the best but grand), but we could have done with more clean towels as they were only changed every 3 days.

The hot water in the shower also only lasted for 2mins before it went freezing (not good when you have long hair to wash).

We had 3 separate rooms and each rooms found cockroaches!

The pool area was kept clean but was very small for the amount of guests and there was also not enough sun loungers or umbrellas for everyone, so you have to be down at 10am on the dot to get a bed.

The entertainment was also SHOCKING, the worst I have ever seen!!

I was actually embarrassed for Lorraine the entertainer as she was terrible(very unorganized) and both the day and evening entertainment was totally useless!

There is also a sun care adviser who will try to sell you small over priced products, but its worth getting a pink advice sheet from her and buying the same products down the market in the Paris shop, as their bigger and cheaper!

The pool bar also closes at 10.30-11pm at night, so don't expect any banter after 11pm.

The staff were also extremely rude and would take care of the Spanish first and completely ignore you if there was a Spanish guest needing attention(except the two male night porters who were lovely).

The pretty black haired receptionist actually laughed at a Scottish lady when she told her there was glass in the pool and told her it was fine and there was nothing she could do about it....this happened at 10am in the morning and they only told people there was glass in the pool at 6pm when a load of people cut their feet and complained.

The shop next to the center is very expensive and so is the spar at the center, but the yellow dino marts are very reasonable and their fresh donuts are amazing.

A lot of the food at the center is crap, but the Chinese buffet upstairs in the center is lovely and its €6.65 for all you can eat with desert (that was the only place we liked).

But if you take the short walk to puerto Rico beach you'll find lots of yummy restaurants and id highly recommend El Grcco's (they have 3 different restaurants and there all lovely) and the one on the outside left did the nicest steak and canary potatoes,it was great value for money.

If you go to the Europa center the Little Italy restaurant is on the ground floor and the staff and food are amazing.

The Aqua center in Maspalmas is also brilliant and defiantly worth a trip.

You also have to pay for sun loungers and umbrellas on both beaches and its €3 for a bed and €3 for an umbrella for the day.

There is also a mini water adventure park in the water on Amadores beach (it looks crap but its really good fun for both adults and kids) its also only €5 for an hour and its worth doing, but you will be knackered after it.

Overall we loved Amadores beach and the perfumes and drink is really cheap over there, but we would never go back.

You will only need a week to do everything there is to do over there and we all thought the apartments were terrible especially the rude staff and awful entertainment.

Grand if you want a really cheap holiday, but frankly id rather spend a little extra and get quality.

P.S. the steps down to the center are grand and not half as bad if you use the ones on the right side of the apartments and the apartments either side of the castillo del sol looked 10 times better and there was very little difference in the price.

I have been very blunt in my review as I was expecting a lot more from these apartments from reading other reviews.

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently

bloody fantasic!

"i just got back from my holiday last night, stayed there for two weeks and its amazing. Its beautiful and the reteptionist Raquel is amazing look out for her, she had VERY long black hair always smiling, beautiful! Dont beleive what the others say its great i'd deffo recomend it, and will be going back next year, so lorraine, get the games set up, the champ is coming back!!!!"

• Holiday details: May 2011, everything, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: pool bar open longer
  • Good For: , City Breaks

Can't wait to go back

"I stayed at the Castillo de Sol in April 2011 with a friend. We weren't sure what to expect after getting such a cheap deal but we were more than happy and would definitely choose to stay there again.

The receptionists were very welcoming and the room had everything we needed for self catering. It was cleaned completely, fresh towels and bedding every other day and we had no complaints whatsoever.

It was clean, friendly and we had an absolute ball! Can't wait to go back

• Holiday details: Apr 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently

defo be back

"me and my 7 freinds whent over in november for twelve days appartments we clean and we had a ball i think it would have been boring if lorraine had not been there she was one of the highlights of the holiday pool was always clean pints only 2e on happy hour and its b.o.g.o.f so happy days"

• Holiday details: Nov 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: meet lorainne

brilliant

"we have been to puerto rico 18 times and only twice to the same apts but i have to say these apts were the cleanest and definatley the friendliest by far that we have stoped in. Lorraine the entertainments manager was fab, never pushy and extremley friendly. My husband was poorly while we were there and she always came over several times a day to see how he was, it was his birthday too while we were there and he recieved a bottle of bubbly to everyone singing happy birthday to him, i must say this cheered him up a bit. We will definatley be going back here, i`m already looking to book up again.So to anyone looking for a clean friendly value for money holiday this is the place to go."

• Holiday details: Jan 2011, self catering, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: excellent value for money

Can't wait to go back..

"I was there with my boyfriend on 2nd January 2011, we had a great time, the apartment was so clean, maid in every day, and the view from our balcony was just amazing, could'nt believe it, the pool was lovely, the place was so clean, everyone was so nice and made you feel so welcome, i'd recommend the Castillo as it really is a lovely place to stay...Lorraine was there to welcome us, she was so nice, and the woman on reception who we saw every day, was so nice, always had a smile. We forgot to leave our room key, so i have posted it on, so sorry.. Thanks again. Alastair and Angela."

• Holiday details: Jan 2011, self catering, Booked Independently

My 18th birthday

"Just returned from the hotel as i went for my 18th birthday. Hotel was basic and staff were really friendly especially lorraine who got us to join in all the sun bed exercises and games like: table tennis, bowls etc. The only down point was that there was no kettle in the room. Not far from the town centre and the best eating place has to be "The Royal Oak" which u will find in the centre itself."

• Holiday details: Dec 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: basic but great location

Good

Location
7.5/10

Top traveller tips for Castillo Del Sol Apartments

• by silverdad

" Lively for all age groups... Funny Boys drag show... top class... "

• by littomissdiamond

" Go exploring to the other side of Peurto Rico much nicer !! "

• by fasterbaby1

" Minanna's underneath Castillo del sol, San Miguel in the main strip definitley go on the Super Cat "

• by jillo

" friendly, comfortable and relaxing apartments "

• by 411

" Aqua park (brilliant) and Little Italy Restaurant in the Europa Center (lovely staff and amazing food) "

• by Leeds

" Higher floors 4 up for the great views "