Arcadia Cruise Ship

, P&O Cruises
Arcadia Cruise Ship

1 2 38 »
Never again!!

"This was our first P&O Cruise and the last!!

Firstly, the buffet restaurant has good food and service but feels more like a works canteen with people trying to find a free table. Not relaxing at all.

We did not pre-book any excursions prior to the cruise. When we boarded the ship we saw the woman on the Excursion Desk. She said most of the excursions were full. We asked if they were putting on more slots and she said they probably would be. Two days later, we ended up only booking one excursion. Obviously we had to take some of the blame but as I had cruised with Thomsons twice, there had never been a problem with them putting extra coaches on. So I assumed that P&O would be no different. The woman on the desk was really unhelpful and unfriendly. We have since found out it is better to book a private tour online which is a lot cheaper than P&Os tours.

The other problem we encountered was that the toilets outside the Meridien restaurant on at least 4 nights out of 7 had no toilet paper at all in them. On reporting it to Reception, again not very helpful or approachable. Considering the Norovirus is rife, you would have thought toilets would have been inspected regularly!

We also experienced a problem with our toilet in the cabin and reported it 3 days before we disembarked. The day of disembarkation the bathroom was flooded at 5am and somebody came to look at it together with the cabin steward. We were 'accused' of putting foreign objects down the toilet, which we did not and then were told 'it's probably from the upper deck'. No apology. Also the cabin steward looking after our cabin (G51) was so rude, he walked away whilst I was trying to have a conversation with him. This is no way to treat paying passengers! Also, we had to leave our cabins by 8am (why so early??) but the thing that really has upset us that the cabin steward had already made up the bed and cleaned the bathroom with new toiletries and tea/coffee etc at 7.20am when we returned from breakfast. The new sheets had also been put into our room the night before for the next guests.

Entertainment was average although there was a lot to do during the day.

P&O have rung since we arrived back and said under no circumstances should cabins be made up before guests have vacated them. Other people on Cruise Critic have also complained about the same.

• Holiday details: Jun 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't book

great cruise, shame about the nasty free gift

"We were on J505 to the Baltic 16th to 30th May, suite B68.

Firstly, a fantastic cruise, food great especially the Meridian which was as good as any of the concessions.The East concession was a real let down and poor value compared to other P and O ships we have been on, as a result we didn't even try Marco's. The butler was a real treat and looked after us so well. Entertainment in the evening was ok but daytime activities seem now to be limited to quizzes or sales promos.

We did have to ask three times for two very dirty chairs in our cabin to be cleaned which was disappointing as this should have been done straight away or better still, noted before we boarded. Also the mold on the tiles in the shower was hardly 5 star. This was cleaned after an 'inspection' by housekeeping and the dirty kettle was also changed.

There did seem to be a problem with the plumbing as one night the water just stopped for no reason and another night the water was off all night for 'maintenance'. this was followed the next morning by a period of rusty water from the taps. The air conditioning on the ship was hopeless, either too hot or freezing cold.

As we had a suite, we did spend a lot of time in the cabin or on our balcony, but still we found towards the end of the cruise that we were coughing badly and since coming home six days ago we are both now taking antibiotics for nasty chest infections. Since coming home I have been reading of Arcadia cough. Wish I had done before we booked. Didn't realize that it was an additional free gift from P and O which they are keeping very quiet about.

Shame, lovely ship, great crew and fantastic food, but we will not be setting foot on her again.

• Holiday details: May 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Book a different ship if you want to stay well.
  • Good For: , City Breaks

Baltic Cruise May 2015

"Having read some of the reviews I wondered if we were on the same ship! We found the food fabulous. We had Lobster Theodore night in the Meridian and it was excellent. My husband is a retired chef and he couldn't fault the food. The staff were friendly and helpful and our cabin stewardess went over and above to make our stay pleasant.

The shows we were disappointed with. The acoustics in the theater is not right. The male singers excellent but the lead female screamed.

Guest speakers were excellent with fascinating talks on faberge eggs and the Titanic to name two. The classical pianist, Robin Colville gave four superb concerts.

Unfortunately myself, my husband and mother-in-law all contracted the nirovirus and were confined to our cabins for 24 hours on 3 separate days. My mother-in-law also developed the Arcadia cough and is still ill now. She had to go to the doctor on board and her bill was £800! Would be interested to know whether other passengers contracted the nirovirus.

This was our sixth cruise, the first with P & O. I was a little disappointed with the overall experience, especially as we had booked the cruise to celebrate my husbands 65th birthday.

• Holiday details: May 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Eliminate illness on board
  • Good For: , City Breaks

Arcadia Cough

"We were on Arcadia October 2014, fit and healthy until 4 days before home. Both of us started coughing so we can only have caught this virus on the ship. Lots of people had the same thing and at nearly every port someone was taken to hospital with chest infections. I have had 3 chest x-rays, antibiotics & steroids I now have severe inflammation of the lung wall and am in a lot of pain, taking 60mg of codeine phosphate 4 times a day to control the pain. It is now May 28th 2015 and we returned home from Arcadia on 3rd November 2014. I have yet another doctors appointment tomorrow as the inflammation is no better. We have cruised with P & O many times, but never again will I set foot on Arcadia. It is annoying that P & O don't think there is a problem, perhaps everyone should vote with their feet and not travel with P & O again."

• Holiday details: Oct 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't go

Arcadia cough & chest infection

"We boarded the Arcadia on the 25th March 2015 to cruise the last 2 sectors of the World Cruise from Singapore to Southampton.We noticed as soon as we boarded that a lot of people had chesty coughs.Passengers who were doing the whole World cruise said the infection had been on the ship since she sailed in January.On 30th March my husband started with a sore throat and chesty cough.By the 1st April he had to visit the ships' doctor and was given antibiotics and cough linctus.He was diagnosed with respiratory chest infection.By the 3rd April I started with the virus.Finally driven to the Doctor feeling very poorly on 7th April.We were both asked to stay in our cabin for 48hrs until my temperature came down.I was put on antibiotics and linctus .Doctors' bill has now reached £140.Our cabin was " sanitized " twice a day by 2 crew members covered in masks, plastic aprons etc.Nurse coming in every few hours to take my temperature.This virus carried on for the rest of the cruise.We had to canx trips ashore because we were to ill to go on them.No members of the crew or nursing staff would admit there was a problem and yet passengers were ill and coughing all around us.I ended up having another course of antibiotics.We have been home 9 days now- still coughing-my husband still has sore throat as well as the cough.There is a serious problem with the Arcadia.It ruined our cruise and we feel we wasted a lot of our hard earned money!We have now contacted Irwin Mitchell Solicitors who are dealing with other Arcadia cases. Pat/Alan"

• Holiday details: Mar 2015
  • Advice: Don't go !

? Arcadia Cough

"I was on the Arcadia from Dubai to Southampton and yes there were a lot of passengers with a cough. However I do not agree that the ship was to blame. The cough everyone is complaining about is the same cough that has been doing the rounds in the UK for several months. I had it in January and it lasted for about 7-8 weeks and eventually my chest infection was cleared by antibiotics. I would suggest that the virus was taken on board by passengers joining the ship at Southampton in January. With so many people living in close proximity it is obvious that illnesses are going to spread but to blame P&O I feel is unfair. I thoroughly enjoyed my cruise and have nothing but praise for the crew who made every effort to ensure that all our needs were met."

• Holiday details: Apr 2015, booked with Imagine Cruising
  • Advice: Read the daily news letter to check what is happening throughout the day

Another two victims of 'The Arcadia Cough'

"We boarded the Arcadia on 16th March 2015 in Hong Kong. We were required to state we were both in good health on boarding. Oh that we had remained in good health. After a few days my husband developed a sore throat and this was very quickly followed by an irritating cough and loss of voice. At this point I started with a sore throat also. This also developed into a cough and chest infection. Although many passengers were also suffering from the same symptoms and the shop had run out of throat.lozenges and medicines due to the high demand, reception said they were unaware of the problem. A crew member became quite irate when she asked how I was and I said I had succumbed to 'the Arcadian Cough'. She said there was no such thing. You would have to be blind and deaf to be unaware of the high number of passengers suffering. The theater was packed for a talk on piracy and hardly a minute passed without an outbreak of coughing. This cough really spoiled our cruise. It left us feeling very tired and meant when we used the dining room we had to request a table for two as we were too self conscious to share a table, even if we had had the voices to communicate. We didn't feel the air conditioning over our bed was very good, as our symptoms were always much worse in the morning. It was also very noisy, possibly due to a dirty filter. I raised this with reception and the system was inspected. It was very quiet after the service. Had I been aware of the number of people who became ill on this ship I would not have booked. In future I will look very carefully at reviews.

P&O really need to acknowledge there is a problem and remedy this as soon as possible.

Management response from P&O Cruises, Medical Director 23 Apr 2015

P&O Cruises regret anyone becoming unwell at any time, and would like to reassure all our guests that we do everything we can to limit the impact of viral illnesses, such as coughs and colds. We encourage everyone to follow the same advice as they would if visiting a school, hospital, or other environment where people are in close quarters especially at times of year like now when these viruses are more common; regular hand-washing with soap and water and good cough etiquette.

Arcadia and still coughing - check the health of your ship before booking!

"We joined in Hong Kong and disembarked in Dubai on Sunday 6th April 2015. On our first encounter with our neighbor she told us that her husband had had pneumonia and they nearly had to leave the ship. We thought no more about it until our first evening in the theater - there was a coughing chorus. We succumbed a week later! I saw the ships doctors to check that my lungs were OK as I had pneumonia in January and was concerned that I might be a sitting duck! While waiting for him, another passenger told us that he had been in the ships hospital for three days and then had had to be admitted to a shore hospital. He had just re-joined the ship after four days ashore. I was given antibiotics which have had no noticeable effect and we are both still coughing up a storm!

P&O apparently only accept that there is a problem if more than 2% of the passengers report to the sick bay. So as the majority put up with the cough and don't fancy paying to see the doctor, as far as P&O are concerned there is no problem. It is time for the health authorities to look into the health issues on this ship!

It is also a wake up call for people planning cruises to check not only the cruise itinerary, but also the health of the ship before they book. We most certainly will do so!

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Eastern people wear masks to avoid polution etc - a requirement on this ship?Might be fun!! Failing this, the food is excellent so enjoy!

Arcadia Illness

"After having a serious illness which is still ongoing. We are pressing the matter legally. Anyone else who have had there holiday ruined should do the same. Power by numbers is recommended you can contact me at saronasam91@gmail.com ."

Arcadia Cough

"I have just got off Arcadia and I started coughing on about Feb. 22nd and it is still with me a month later March 19th. I have thrown everything at it to ji available . So many people were coughing throughout the RTW cruise that it definitely spoils a very expensive 43 nights as half of them were spoils due to severe coughing, tiredness. The cough kept me awake and sometimes was so severe that I was sick. I think the whole ship should be fumigated to get rid of the virus infection before people are allowed on it again. British health authorities should investigate."

Arcadia cough

"We have just had three weeks on the Arcadia from San Fransisco to Sidney .five days in to the cruise I caught the Arcadia cough !the medical officer said it was upper respiratory without examination !! By the time we reached Sidney it was worse !! We traveled on to Perth and I was then admitted to hospital with viral pneumonia !! Come on P&O and admit you have a problem how many people have to die before you do something .our holiday was ruined !!our dates were from jan 30th to Feb 21st Doreen Dale"

• Holiday details: Jan 2015
  • Advice: Don't go

Legal Help

"I have today spoken to Irwin Mitchell who have ongoing issues re this cruise ship they already have clients who are claiming against P & O.

Check there website. The higher the number of claimants the more chance of a result.

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Check the history of illness aboard this ship its all there to see.

1 2 38 »

Value: 5.5/10
Cleanliness: 6.5/10
Top traveller tips for Arcadia Cruise Ship
  • by gosling

" The ship has many excellent points, take time and find what suits you best. The Orchid bar is great for a pre dinner drink "

Do you own Arcadia Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Arcadia Cruise Ship? Share your insight.