Pontins Brean Sands

Location: 6.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Pontins Brean Sands

1 2 352 »
Never go to Pontins Brean Sands

"Just back from Pontins Brean Sands and would never go again. Check in was 4pm not a minute sooner but it took us 20 minutes to find a parking space with no staff to guide you to a space. It was a free for all. We were told to go to the Fun Factory, a dark, sticky floored room with hundreds of people waiting to check in. After an hour and a half of waiting we finally got our key. At the entrance to our apartment there were cigarette butts and litter all around. The apartment itself was dirty, fluff and nail clippings on the floor and dust everywhere. Cutlery and toaster were dirty. There was no plug for the kitchen sink and three of the lights were not working including the bathroom one. Next day we went to ask if this could be rectified and the solemn looking receptionist logged our complaint with no apology. Surprise, surprise it was never done. The whole sight is run down and dirty and we wouldn't recommend it to anyone."

• Holiday details: Sep 2015, Booked Independently

"I feel I need to express my views to save anyone reading this, from the horror of this place. I doubt anything will be done by Pontins or the site management (If there is any.)

We recently booked a weekend here for a quick fun getaway for us and the kids (6yo and 3yo) for the end of the school holidays - Never again!

Firstly we actually drove past the so called 'main' entrance , had to park in a car park which was marked out like an old school playground! - First impressions were met by litter and cigarette butts everywhere (some of them must have been there rotting for years), uneven concrete No designated spaces.

surfaces, faded pictures and home made notices. The main reception was through a fire door and in a kiosk in the amusement arcade. The carpet appeared to have been laid in the seventies and not been touched since.

We booked for two single beds and a double and we were put in the disabled chalets 20 yards from the smoking area outside the 'pub' bearing in mind we had two young children, but were assured everyone goes into the entertainment area so shouldn't be noisy! The beds comprised of 1 double, 1 single and a PVC sofa bed in the living area! not quite a double and a twin room as promised!!

The chalet was smelly and dirty, dust and dirt every where and sticky floors, even the hot water from the hot taps didn't smell clean. The toilet flush was broken and the curtains were hanging off the runners and the cooker top was dirty and backboard scorched! Didn't want to even look in the oven. We also found that the door and windows did not lock smoothly or securely.

The interior decor was outdated along with lumpy springy mattresses and badly built flat packed furniture and badly laid out (toaster on top of microwave next to TV on the chest of drawers in the lounge).

We had a wander around the site and found more litter, cigarette butts, overflowing bins and overgrown vegetation, very few chalets looked inviting whatsoever, with faded pastel shades and crumbling paintwork. Everywhere we looked were shabby, broken equipment and disinterested staff.

The layout of the site was disjointed and uninviting, looks like they have tried to upgrade certain areas but on a very tight budget!

Took the kids to the swimming pool for 9am on the Sunday morning and was not open and were told it wasn't ready as they were trying to sort out the chlorine levels, would it not be wise to do this before scheduled opening times???

This site needs flattening and being completely rebuilt, we did not stay for our second night and spent as little time as possible on the camp and in the chalet.

We asked about making a complaint and were happily given a piece of paper with an email address on it, clearly embarrassed by the condition of their place of work.

We chose this site as a spur of the moment and didn't think about reading any reviews, still we live and learn and wont be returning here in a hurry.

• Holiday details: Sep 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: wear hat, gloves, mask and a blindfold

Not bad at all

"There were 12 of us that went to Pontins, Brean Sands in July 2015 and we felt the maintenance people were brilliant the reception staff very helpful and the entertainment fine. You get what you pay for and three families had a good laugh and the accommodation was fine. It was all clean and tidy however other guests decided to feed the seagulls which if they'd read the instructions it is forbidden and it prevented us from eating outside , (not I may add Pontins fault). The beach is a very quick walk away and the food in Pontins isn't great but there are plenty of restaurants take away a walk away. We usually go to Center Parks but we will do both next year as it was a good laugh."

• Advice: You get what you're given

Do not go!

"Such false advertising! Pontins Brean Sands is a dreadful place! It is outdated, rundown and boring! Most things advertised on the website did not exist or were out of order. The staff were miserable and clueless (if you could actually find anyone). Never saw any characters or kids entertainers. The only free activity is the dirty and smelly swimming pool with its one broken down flume. It is a tiny shallow pool which was extremely overcrowded. You definitely couldn’t swim in it and there are no fun activities in it so I’m not sure what exactly you’re supposed to do there. All other activities came at a cost and a very expensive one (£1 for one go on an inflatable slide) and these activities can only be paid for using special tokens which you have to obtain from a machine and are non refundable. Each token costs £1 and many activities required several tokens. In the pay ground there were broken areas and empty places where swings should be hanging. Inside the toddler area again more broken and rundown toys, ball run with no balls, dolls house with no dolls or furniture etc etc. There was no evening entertainment whatsoever and everywhere else seemed to close early. My son was waiting for a turn on the bouncy castle but it still wasn’t set up at 11am so we went back at 3:30pm and they were packing it away. The park in general is not maintained and there are dangerous lose paving slabs and broken concrete everywhere. Two of my children tripped on these and hurt themselves. As for the accommodation, it should be knocked down! It was very small and dirty. They are so close together and overlooked it felt like an open plan place for all guests on the park. Inside there were places where the covering was missing and the toilet roll holder was hanging off the wall. It was not equipped for self catering or the number of guests it claims to be suitable for with hardly any crockery or cooking equipment. There was one plug socket in the entire place so had to keep swapping appliances about using one at a time. The shop has little choice and is expensive and unless you want a fish and chip take away and an ice cream every night, there isn’t really anywhere to eat out either. The beds were so terrible you could see and feel every spring!! Each guest had one pillow which was not much thicker than a slice of bread and the bedding of such poor quality had to be paid for and collected from the laundry shop and beds made yourself. We paid for 4 days but left after 2 because we couldn’t stand to be there any longer. It is a completely overpriced dump which I urge everyone to avoid!"

dirty ,smelly full of tramps

"If you want to be surrounded by unkempt children parents who don't care about them just interested in getting drunk shouting and swearing then go to Pontins Brean sands where you have to stand up in a sweat box with dirty sticky floors to watch nighttime shows I don't think the whole of Pontins has seen hot water, bleach a hoover in years what a dirty filthy place. TV is about 20 years old we had a better TV when we stayed in Egypt"

• Advice: Don't go

Worst Holiday EVER! - booked independantly

"We, my husband & I and our 2 children had booked & paid for the ''Club'' Apartment which according to their website was 'The top of the range!' But OMG... :( NB this was NOT a sun holiday deal, we had paid for this off our own back via their website approx £450

After checking in, which took over an hour we arrived outside a chalet, and we thought we must have mis-read the number of our key fob, as on first impressions, the outside was dirty, run down, and there were lots of cigarette ends on the pavement, we were so not looking forward to going inside. We opened up the door and was hit with stale smoke, musty/damp smell. Walking around the chalet it was dirty, the curtains was falling off the rails, the skirting /floors were black with dirt,mold. The bathroom was also dirty. The microwave and the teeniest TV needed a good up-grade. I am sorry but we just did not want to be in there.

I walked back to reception and queued for the customer service desk to find that it was not only me that was hit with the same impression.. there were a few people complaining in front and behind me. When it was my turn, I asked whether they had actually put us in the Club chalet or had they made a mistake! It was of course not a mistake as walking around the site it clearly looked like it was the same across the site. I asked what we were getting for Club. all they could say was that I had free electric, added TV channels : {CBeebies was the only one, apart from the usual 5 channels}. early 2pm check in. Nothing said representing the chalet whatsoever, I suppose we were thinking the furniture,layout,microwave,TV,Bathroom was going to be 'slightly' better upgraded with better quality furniture, electrical items I suppose????

Oh well, on knowing that this was it for the weekend, I was sooooo pleased that I had packed my marigolds and bleach and took cloths. I got back to the chalet and cleaned the bathroom, the kitchen, and literally any surfaces we were using or putting things on. I also got on my hands & knees and neat bleached the floor area where we were mainly walking! Sorry but I have standards...

Once I knew that this was clean, and dried we moved our stuff in, made the beds with the thin bed linen they gave us, which we had to pay extra for.

We then just went out and got tea, which I absolutely dreaded eating anywhere on site because IF the chalet was this dirty, what in the hell do their kitchens look like where food is concerned? YUK!

But putting our chalet experience aside we have to say one thing the site does certainly know how to cater for children, it was certainly a good site for children/family entertainment. Spent far too much in the arcades though!

The music in the evening was a TAD too loud. Sadly for the weekend we had booked, we tried to spend most of the time OFF site and out of the chalet for as long as we could.. and we all could not wait to leave to come home today.

We WILL NOT BE GOING BACK... and will just stick to BUTLINS...

So Pontins take a leaf out of Butlins, your SITE, Chalets, oh and STAFF need a complete over haul, upgrade, update...

• Advice: The fun-fair just down the road from Pontins

Diabolical accommodation

"Our holiday started off with excited Grandchildren but soon turned into a horrendous experience. The Brean site looked dated and unkempt. The reception hall was dark and dingy with dirty carpet and tables that were sticky and unwashed. When we got to our chalet we were very disappointed with the state it was in, the mattered on the 2 single beds were thin and You could feel the spring pushing through. The double bed was a cheap settee that wasn't fit for a weeks stay, the rooms were unkempt and dirty, the curtains were held in place with few hook and was just hanging down, there wasn't enough room really to put the bed out because of the table being so close to the cooker, my granddaughter said, 'I'm not stopping here and started to cry. I went to reception requesting an up-grade and was told that none were available. Upon requesting a refund I was told that my complaint would be dealt with and a check would be sent within the week to 14 days. After many emails and phone calls I'm still being ignored. I paid for this holiday, it wasn't a Sun deal or any other discounted voucher."

• Holiday details: May 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't waste your money booking here.

A health and safety nightmare

"On arriving on Friday 12th June we were told to book in at the fun factory where the floor was so sticky that if you stood too long in one place you were likely to stay there.  We were given an envelope with a key and all my paperwork was taken from me by a miserable looking member of staff.   This did not bode well as a first impression of the place.

Our next trip was to the toilet as we had brought our grandchildren and they needed supervision.  One of the toilets was out of commission which was signaled by a ripped piece of brown cardboard with the words 'toilet broke,  sorry'. Very professional.

When we finally found our apartment,  we were not impressed.  The curtains were barely hanging on by as little amount of hooks as possible. Four in fact in the bedroom.  The cooking rings were rusty, the crockery was dirty and every corner was full of  dust and debris.  It didn't look like it had been cleaned properly for some time.   The mattresses had stains and the sofa bed had lost all remnants of padding which meant you were laying on nothing more than wood and vinyl.  We went back to reception to see if we could upgrade to a 2 bedroom apartment to be told that they were really busy and to come back later.  We tried again the following day after a night of no sleep on the most uncomfortable sofa bed ever, only to be told the same excuse.

We decided to take the grandchildren swimming to pass the time before going back to reception again.

The changing room floor was covered in dirt and debris. Obviously there was no cleaning regime in place.  You couldn't walk across the floor without picking something up on you feet.  When we got to the pool we noticed the water was cloudy and when we sat in the pool there was green algae on most of the surfaces. After the children had been playing for a while I also noticed stuff floating in the water.  On closer examination it was green algae and unidentified black debris. At this point we decided that we had had enough of this disgusting dirty place, packed our bags and left. We informed reception of our reasons for leaving but it was just shrugged off.

I wrote to ask for a full refund of the cost for this so called holiday as I do not feel this place is fit for purpose.  This was my first experience of a Pontins and it will certainly be my last.  I have never come across such a dirty,  run down health hazard before and I've been to quite a few holiday parks.  Just because this was a Sun holiday promotion does not mean their standards should drop to below legal requirements for health and safety.

They replied saying they would investigate but never got back to me even after chasing them.

• Holiday details: Jun 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Stay somewhere else.

Worst two days away I've ever had

"When we got there had to wait ages to be booked in, place was filthy and rubbish everywhere. The so called apartment was like a prison cell, the TV stopped working when I put some bread in the toaster as it kept tripping the fuse. The bathroom was full of dust and shower hardly worked. Couldn't sleep because of the drunken chavs outside. I got my sister in law to come and get us as I just wanted to get home. When we got home me and my son was sick all night. It was a disaster, the whole experience is giving me post traumatic stress! Please do not go as the whole place is a health hazard."

• Advice: Get it knocked down and rebuild

Worst holiday and service ever

"When we arrived no accommodation ,didn't have us registered anywhere, booked because two grandchildren love Paddington bear,inquired with three members of staff when Paddington would be around ,told by all three that only Captain Croc was making an appearance that day, tried for an hour and twenty minutes to talk to a blue coat ,non available,took children out for the day as extremely upset to find out later Paddington turned up at 11 am,swimming pool closed on both days Saturday and Sunday due to problems,cost £17.00 to cook beans on toast and 6 kettles,maintenance man said he would inform supervisor and get back to us,never saw him again, tried to buy 2 medium size Croc crew toys ,plenty on display in cabinet window but told couldn't buy them as they had no key, lack of communication between staff, but found all unhelpful with a don't care attitude ,they say you get what you pay for but would have got more pleasure giving money to charity ,company would do well taking a look and even sending staff for training at haven holidays for customer service ."

• Advice: Staff learn how to be customer friendly

if you like a room full of grease, mold and damp then this is the place for you

"I went to Pontins with my Daughter and my 7 month old grandson on the 13/7/15.

The rooms were full of mold, grease it was so dirty. I complained to the managers who said the room was fine. The beds, duvets pillows with no covers were dirty with brown stains on them. The mattress was thread bare all you could feel was the springs.

The bed sofa had holes in it and white insects crawling all over it. no way was I sleeping on that.

The kitchen worktops were covered in brown sticky grease. There was mold on the floor and windows. There was a terrible smell like someone had died in there.

some of the wall had a brown substance all over it. Looked like there had been a leak of some sort and wall paper was saggy and damp.

There was a long line of people complaining. I took pictures and videos which they refused to to look at. They told me if I didn't leave without a refund they would call security and throw me off the site.

The manager was so rude to me and at one point 8 of them were shouting at me. Even the cleaner and two other ladies came and joined in.

The worst managers were Daniel (the restaurant manager) who shouted at me and was so rude then said " I am not dealing with you" and walked off. Mick ( the general manager was just as rude and intimidating. Ilene a lady who walked out on reception desk gave me a mouthful about how clean the room was.

I am a disabled women who needs a walker and assistance to get around. I cant go on holiday on my own so i was looking forward to my short break.

I have never been so insulted in my whole life. My holiday was ruined as they refused to change the chalet and I refused point blank to spend a night there so, had to drive back home. I was ni agony

They said I would not be getting a refund as the room was fine.

There is no way those chalets had been upgraded or remodeled as stated on Watchdog. It was worst than anything I have seen or read on TripAdvisor

Please don't go there you will be wasting your money. I have posted the videos on u tube go and take a look. Click on any or all of the links and you will see what i am talking about.

https://youtu.be/sooNQ3EG3BA https://youtu.be/2Y-gWCNhV_4

http://youtu.be/QdIzPNHbC18 https://youtu.be/l1jduWst0Aw

• Advice: dont stay at Pontins

May 2015 holiday ruiend avoid at all costs

"When we arrived the whole place looked run down and in desperate need of refurbishment,

The main Pontins sign at the front of the building was smashed and broken and all the paintwork around the park was peeling off.

When we arrived at our chalet we were originally quite happy with it. But later on that night we assembled our sofa bed and tried to go to sleep.

The bed was solid and very uncomfortable both me and my partner had no sleep all night. The rest of our family were in a chalet next door and had exactly the same problem and the next day went out and purchased an air bed so they can sleep on the floor. We eventually ended up trying to sleep on the floor but still couldn’t get any sleep because of the bright lights outside the chalet and the curtains were to thin and made the hole room look like sunrise at 3am

In the end we had to move all the furniture around so we could push the two single beds together to try and get a bit of sleep throughout the rest of the holiday.

In the morning I cooked some bacon and even though I had the main door and windows open the main fire alarm located near the cooker the cooker went off which also goes off in all of the chalets in the block

This was not an isolated incident and was happening all round the camp 3 of the 4 nights we stayed at Pontins we were awoken with the fire alarms going off all round the camp

That morning our nephews (age 7 and 13) decided they wanted to stay at the Pontins park for the day to see what activities there were.

We walked around the Pontins holiday park and the whole place felt deserted, there seemed to be no activities going on at all we went to one of the club houses and it was closed and when we went to the other one it had a toddler’s kids club going on.

We went to rent out some bikes and to go go carting and the go cart track was closed and there were no bikes to be seen. We ended up playing snooker for an hour and the room in which you play snooker was dark and dingy and had wallpaper peeling off the walls and ceiling tiles falling down

The next day we went swimming in the Pontins pool. The water was not heated and was freezing cold. Very very cold. Our nephew was so cold his lips turned blue and he was shivering.

The other of nephews caught his foot on a broken tile at the bottom of the pool. When we investigated closer we found big patches of broken and loose tiles leaving sharp jagged edges. We were so shocked at the state of the pool and left after 10mins disgusted. There was no one to report this to as the young male life guards on duty were playing splash me splash you with some teenage girls.

When we went to (the queen Vic bar) during happy hour the sign said “beers, spirits, wine, £2.20 each” I ordered a larger and two spirit drinks and the whole lot came to over £15 when I questioned the bar staff they informed me that none of what i ordered was included in the deal and the archers and lemonade that I ordered cost £8 alone!

My youngest nephew was looking forward to seeing his favorite Pontins character “captain crock”

And for the 5 days we were there we only saw “Florence the flamingo” and that was only for half hour and only on one occasion.

There was absolutely no activities day or evening time to do there was only a young kids club so our two nephews spent the holiday stuck indoors bored.

When we returned to our chalet the second evening we found that it was infested with ants. They were all over the floor in our suitcases, on our clothes and in our bed!

We was really looking forward to this holiday and spent a lot of time saving the money to go only to be disappointed by a rundown ant infested boring holiday park. The kids spent the holiday bored and upset we spent the holiday wasting money on going out of the park on days out because there was nothing to actually do there and to be quite honest we was glad to get home .

But now were all left feeling annoyed and frustrated that we have booked holiday from work and saved all that money for nothing and we want something to be done about it because it is totally unacceptable! Us and are family have been going to Pontins holiday parks for years but after this absolutely appalling example of a holiday camp I don’t think we will be returning . The place looked rundown and you could see none of the staff cared about it they were just running out the clock waiting to go home. we all went to a cafe over the road outside the park to eat that was recommended to us by some other guests only to find 2 tables of Pontins staff (blue coats) eating and drinking there . So as it appears not even the staff would use the onsite facilities

• Holiday details: May 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: longleat safari park and

1 2 352 »

Map for Pontins Brean Sands Closest airport: Bristol (BRS) 13.7 miles

Traveller photo of Pontins Brean Sands Traveller photo of Pontins Brean Sands Traveller photo of Pontins Brean Sands Pontins Brean Sands photos (10 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Pontins Brean Sands
  • by David Malpas

" As they are celebrating 65years try not to get one of the original quarters.And better still dont go. "

• by Harryl

" If you have transport, try not to shop in the near vicinity, take what you can with you. (site shop 95p - 1litre milk) "

• by toothnurse

" Get out of the park in the day "

• by turbotripper

" Hungry Horse was a good place to eat. Especially the £1 menu for kids on Tuesdays. "

• by Jodie Sivier

" IF you must go, take your own cleaning products, beds and bedding. "

• by Nick Close Up

" If its the last holiday park left on earth give it a miss! "

• by detox

" take cleaning stuff from home. the local supermarket will milk you dry. take your own vegetarian food. "

• by User2012

" visit Weston Super Mare! lovely day out. "