Butlins Bognor Regis

Upper Bognor Road, Bognor Regis PO21 1JJ, United Kingdom
Average rating (154 reviews)

best holiday ever

"we are currently at the toddler weekend and its amazing, the hotel wave is great the food at the cave is great being able to redeem a food voucher to go to one of the other restaurants is such a good idea. The shows are good, the children were amazed by the dino baby 3d show (£5 per head) my son now thinks he has seen real baby dinosaurs. The arcades are very good with more than enough machines. The fun fair is good. The swimming pool is amazing. Our son loves his submarine bed room.

I would recommend it to anyone all the staff are very friendly. Am going to be booking Christmas hear tomorrow.

Yes you need to bring plenty of cash for the arcades and extras and the food and drink is inflated but it’s a holiday who cares.

• Holiday details: Jun 2016, Booked Independently
  • Advice: enjoy yourself

Dissapointed

"Disappointed, paid to come on just for tots week and all the rides etc stop at about four. Do Butlins think all children go to bed after tea time? The fanfare outside which is good was open 12-4? Four hours then nothing outside at all? The accommodation was poor broken floorboards shabby condition and I upgraded!"

• Holiday details: Jun 2016, Booked Independently

Never again

"Following my husbands death I booked a weekend for myself and two daughters, hoping to relax and have some fun after the grim few months we had just been through. I booked by telephone and told the person I booked with that I wanted to stay in a hotel. No problem. She took all the details and then asked me again what accommodation I wanted. I again said hotel and she assured me the booking had been made. On my confirmation it does not mention that it is a hotel or a chalet. On arrival we went to book in at the hotel but we're told we were in the wrong place. We had been put in Jellyfish Grove. We opened the curtains just in time to see a man vomiting. I had paid £149.85 for food. We could not find anywhere to eat that was open and would serve us and in fact we paid for dinner the night we arrived and breakfast the next day. My booking number was BG6912708. We went home on Saturday afternoon. We had complained about not being in a hotel but I was told I had got what I paid for. I want to make an official complaint but cannot find an address. The weekend was 90s reloaded. We came home early more stressed and miserable than before we went."

• Holiday details: Apr 2016, Booked Independently

Food poisoning

"I went away for 5 days with my two sons and mum for just for tots week. Unfortunately on day 2, I got the worse food poisoning from the food court ever. I have never been so ill. I was unable to get out of bed, we cut the holiday short and returned home. While still at Butlins, we went to guest services to be told it could have been a bug, yes maybe however no one else in the party caught it and for sure they would have. When I arrived home I also rang guest services to be told a form had been filled out on my behalf to say I felt well and there was no issue, however this was not true! The lack of communication was shocking. I feel like they tried to pass the blame, was told someone would call and you guessed it no one called. I was told I had to provide a sample for my GP to prove I had food poisoning."

• Holiday details: Apr 2016, Booked Independently

Cancelled trip

"Cancelled family trip over the bank holiday weekend because of an emergency medical condition for my son. I tried to call and change the dates because of the situation and I was told that I will lose all the fee that i paid and it can't be refunded or transferred regardless of the insurance.

This is a RIP OFF POLICY

• Holiday details: Mar 2016, Booked Independently
  • Advice: No refund for any changes you make

Brilliant 70s weekend - Feb 2016

"My friend and I had booked a twin room but on arrival, we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment, Oyster Bay, Turtle 8. It was spacious and clean. No complaints about the the accommodation at all. The entertainment was first class. We used the indoor swimming pool and we ate at several of the restaurants on site. From start to finish, this was a fantastic weekend. Can't wait till the next one."

• Holiday details: Feb 2016, Booked Independently

DO NOT STAY HERE! The Ocean Hotel staff are thieves! Your property is no safe to be left in the rooms.

"I am extremely disappointed with our recent stay at the Ocean Hotel Bognor Regis! The staff at the hotel stole property from my room!

A member of staff entered our room whilst I was still a paying customer and took my GHD hair straighteners.

My partner had an allergic reaction to something overnight in our hotel room, went in to anaphylactic shock and was rushed to hospital so we made the decision to leave a day early. On the way home (late evening) I realized I had left my straighteners in the room. I immediately called the hotel. The receptionist told me not to drive back and that a member of housekeeping would contact me the next morning to organize them to be posted back. A week later after daily phone calls to the hotel that just rang with no reply we were finally told that the straighteners have gone missing and they have refused to do anything about. We also received information from the head office that a member of staff had actually entered the room on the evening we had left which would've been some time after 10pm! Most likely to take my straighteners!

Head office were not at all helpful and said they were not willing to help us in any way with this matter. Not what I would expect from Butlins at all!

We really had hoped to resolve this situation amicably with Butlins as we have enjoyed our previous stays at the resort but because of the way we have been treated they have left us with no choice now but to contact the police and report this theft.

This has really opened my eyes to the type of organization that this is, where customers are treated with such disregard. Butlins were not willing to follow up internally at all, and instead choose to leave it down to the customer to have to resolve a matter that I feel Butlins should hold responsibility for after I put my trust in members of staff employed by Butlins.

It is a real shame that I now would not return to this resort as I would not feel as though my belongings were safe.

I also found out afterwards that a similar situation had happened with another guest at this hotel, around the same time we stayed there and all his clothes went missing from his room!

• Holiday details: Dec 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Keep a close eye on all your belongings and take pictures.

No where to sit, patchy entertainment

"Accommodation ok at Estuary Place no bath mat but eventually got one, been to Butlins loads of times from Ayr (nicknamed windy wet) to Skegness, Minehead and being closest Bognor Regis.

Went to Reds today to watch the Bootleg Bee Gees, two thirds of the room completely empty of tables and chairs, (later saw some being moved to the center stage)told the wife I would not stand unless the band was good, they were second rate! I don't care if they cannot look like the originals but for heavens sake they should sound like them, this band did not. so for a weekend of 'Tributes' the bands were patchy, the Counterfeit Quo were excellent.

Main complaint about Butlins is that they have crammed more people on to their site but reduced the amount of and sometimes quality of the entertainment at the same time there are only two main venues which are crowded but to either cram more in or make exit easier they have removed seating so you run for a spot and grab what you can, the bigger groups stuff tables together and chairs and sit and wait for their mates to arrive and as for center stage you will get a seat if you are in a wheelchair but god help you if their is a fire because access if by lift or stairs, if their is a ramp escape I have never seen it or seen signs pointing to it.As for Reds many years ago they shut the internal access and you have to queue in the open, nice when its freezing blowing a gale or raining.

Why do I go, well the wife likes it but I'll just go with the grand kids in future, I'm getting too old to queue for an hour then have to run for a seat or stand for hours for 40 minute bits of patchy entertainment and overpriced beer and alcopops, I have in fairness told customer services about this but this is something the big wigs have set up, cram em in and bleed em dry!

• Holiday details: Dec 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Go when the weathers nice as queing outside for Reds is a big turn off

Butlins cancelled our booking

"Booked and paid in FULL 30/12/15 3 nights

Received emails about our booking, what's on - brilliant

Letter stating that because our names did not appear on their Electrol role software our booking was cancelled.

We were so keen to go we got proof from our council and emailed Butlins also explaining a new address but we both voted in May!

Decision made - cancelled

Do you know this clause only comes into play at Xmas/New year as guests pay premium prices - Gavin told me tonight

DO they not care about their visitors safety during the rest of the year?

• Holiday details: Dec 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't book for the new year if you are NOT on the electron role - we are but they still cancelled our booking :(

Worst Holiday!

"Very disappointing time. The bedding was dirty when we checked in and had to ask to have it changed. The kettle stank, and the flat was messy. Also received very little support when my young daughter broke her finger in the soft play area slide which was supposed to be supervised. The Butlins employee supervising the slide let many children down at the same time and this was the cause of her finger breaking. Got an awful response from the department responsible for claims.. have zero incentive to come back again!"

• Holiday details: Aug 2015, Booked Independently

What a load of Billy Bull***t

"We stayed at Butlins Bognor Regis August 2015 and I can categorically stat that we will NEVER be going back.

We stayed at a standard apartment at Oyster Bay. It consists of a small double bed as soon as you walk in and a kitchen area with a small t.v, all in the same room as your double bed! There was another room with 2 single beds and a bathroom with a bath and no shower or shower attachment.

When I was walking to our apartment, I thought I was in prison, there is no 'real' outside area of your apartment for the children to play and it is just rows of dormitories with metal railings.

The first thing that hits you when you walk in to the apartment is the smell, the 'proper' bedroom with the 2 beds was the worst, the table which was attached to the wall had cigarette burns in and a rusty metal leg holding it up, the walls were uneven and plain and the carpet had marks and stains all over it (I did not take my shoes off during my whole stay), the bathroom was dated and I could not wash mine or my daughters hair as there was no shower attachment. No plug sockets and no where to sit. I was woken every morning by a screaming child at the apartment next door at 5.30 as the walls are so thin ( you can hear your neighbors conversation even when they are whispering). No net curtains and the windows are really big, so the curtains were closed the whole time. NO VIEWS AND NO PERSONALITY IN THIS APARTMENT! Asked for an upgrade only to be told no other rooms available!

The fairground is small and dated, the swimming pool was good but changing rooms were dirty, and viewing area was hot, dirty, with marks over the carpet and dated,you could not even buy a cup of tea.

Main activity area was a glorified tent, not warm and enticing.

Evening entertainment was ok, but if you wanted to watch a show you need to cue at about 5pm to get a seat, otherwise you are standing, and the kids won't be able to see.

This is so overpriced it is unbelievable, I thought that everything was free, but you have to pay for crazy golf, the circus, bungee trampoline, go-carts and numerous other things. You can also spend £12.00 on a pie and mashed potatoes (although this is really smash).

If it rains the 'small' fairground shuts down, which forces you into the main tent, and this leaks!

Was bored after an hour, you just basically keep walking round in circles, and due to the condition of the room, you would not have gone back there unless it was really necessary,

Waste of money, waste of time, waste of my precious children lives!

• Holiday details: Aug 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't go

Angelfish Room 9 Oyster Bay

"For a deluxe room with lounge this accommodation was pretty poor. The downstairs lounge had a connecting door to the next door lounge, this was not locked, just held shut with two small screws. There was a long dark hair in the bathroom stuck to the wall, the health and safety sign for the heated towel rail had been painted over. The extractor fan was full of dust and grime and the plaster was falling off the inside of the bath screen. Lastly in the bathroom there was no chrome on the taps.

We could not shut the bedroom door as the bed was in the way! Could not watch the tv in bed as it was fixed to the wall at a right angle to the bed and could not be moved.

We had to send our first meal at the Diner back because both burgers were over cooked (burnt round the edges) but were replaced without quibble and was very nice.

Could not fault the red coats and entertainment that was brill!

• Holiday details: May 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: is deffinately a venue for families

Good

Location
8.5/10

Top traveller tips for Butlins Bognor Regis

• by kimmy2115

" Titan and the pool complex "

• by daveandchrisuk

" arundel castle and boating lake "

• by minkyminky

" West sussex? Do Arundel, Do Chichester. Do West Wittering beaches. Don't do Butlins. "

Traveller photos

Traveller photo of Butlins Bognor Regis Traveller photo of Butlins Bognor Regis Traveller photo of Butlins Bognor Regis Butlins Bognor Regis photos (5 traveller photos)