The Bristol Hotel

Value: 8.5/10
Location: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for The Bristol Hotel

Good service & excellent location

"My girlfriend and I stayed at The Hotel Bristol for three nights (Fri, Sat & Sun) as part of a romantic getaway with a chance to have some good food and see the local sights (&Bath).

We were not let down. The Hotel was at a discounted rate through Travel Zoo which included a promotional rate on both the room & food (20% off). From the moment we checked in to the moment we left the staff were both professional and helpful. I would have happily paid the full prince but everyone like a discount.

Unlike other reviews the room was spacious 645 and had all the usual things you’d expect (but that other reviewers have not reported) air-con, a large king-size bed with flat screen TV, DVD player, free internet, espresso coffee machine & kettle for normal coffee & tea etc hair dryer, ironing board etc. Our room was at the rear of the hotel on the top floor and we did not experience any noise issues.

The hotel is in a excellent location for accessing the town centre (10 mins), the train station (20 mins walking -5 min taxi) and the floating harbour with its restaurants and pubs and late bars (3 mins). Staff were able to help with the location of local attractions and there was the normal mags in the room with local activities.

We did not have an evening meal in the restaurant but did have room service (which was very nice). However we did have 3 buffet style breakfasts with an excellent selection (full cooked, cereals & toast, continental, European or all of them!). A complementary paper came with the breakfast too.

Only two observations really; one being that the beige carpets could do with cleaning from a series of spills both in the room and the bar area (which lets down the otherwise good standard of refurbishment) the second being Parking was £8 which covers 1730 Fri – 0930 hours Mon which was my only gripe as we stayed until 11am and the additional 2 hours was charge at the normal £4.30 moving to £7.70 for another hour!!!! This could be absorbed into the cost of the room if I had been paying full price.

I’d happily stay at the hotel again if I’m back that way.

by MikeVBSouthampton

I won't be back

"I stayed here on a Friday and Saturday night and picked it because it was very convenient for where I needed to be during the day. The hotel has no air conditioning and the fan they provided sounded like metal jarring against metal on any setting other than the weakest, so was neither use nor ornament. This would not have been so bad had the duvet not been a heavy winter one, which was way too warm even for a British summer but it was that or nothing as there was no sheet. Every noise in the corridor, from people rolling back in at 2am to 'housekeeping' banging loudly on doors from 8.15 (even on a weekend - putting the 'do not disturb' sign on my door was pointless as she was like a wailing banshee) could clearly be heard - and I could even hear the person next door snoring as if they were in bed with me. I didn't have breakfast on the first day as I was advised I'd need to wait 20 minutes in the bar as the restaurant was full, which is frankly unacceptable.

On the second day, I was down there for 8am to avoid the rush (and also the housekeeper) and the food was fine. Aside from duvet and lack of air con, the bedroom was nicely furnished (though you literally could not swing a car in the bathroom) but after two hot, sleepless nights, nothing could entice me back.

by CEWEngland

Good leisure break

"We stayed in this hotel last weekend and really enjoyed it.

The room was comfortable with the usual amenities you would expect from a 4* hotel (tea/ coffee making, toiletries in the bathroom etc.), I think that the hotel has been refurbished recently so it all looks and smells quite new.

Our room also had air con but apparently some of the rooms don’t so it may be worth checking when you book. When we stayed it was very hot so no air con would have been a disappointment.

Also some of the rooms look out over the harbourside which may be noisy. We didn’t notice it as went to bed lateish (1am) by which time things were winding down. The plus side to this is that the hotel is very central in the middle of the city and walking distance to everything.

Otherwise the staff were friendly, breakfast was good and the bar was nice with lots of sofas, the rooms were well equipped (espresso machine was a nice touch!) and I would recommend to family and friends.

by bristolstu

Nice hotel in a great location

"I booked this hotel last minute and got a good B&B deal. I was only on a short business trip so the complimentary car parking in the adjoining multi storey car park meant it was worth paying a bit more for a room anyway (expect to pay upto £15 for overnight parking elsewhere). You can park for free between 5.30pm and 9.30am just take the ticket to the reception where they will validate it. You can also use your room key to access the hotel from the car park on most floors.

The staff were very friendly and attentive and check in/out was very fast and efficient. I had a room converted for disabled access so it was very spacious with a huge ensuite with walk in shower. It also looked out over the floating harbour which was great. Breakfast was excellent in the restaurant that also looks out onto the river. The one criticism is its location opposite several bars and restaurants means you will get some noise late on. Otherwise its location is perfect for exploring central Bristol and the quayside development that is just a stones throw away over the footbridge.

by ptgiraffe

fantastic weekend- definately staying there again soon!

"my partner and i stayed there for two nights and had a great time. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room was lovely. we had a meal in the river grill and the food was outstanding. Room service was quick and to a high standard. was a bit wary when we read the reviews as we both very fussy, but there was nothing to worry about at all. would definately advise people to stay there and we are planning our next trip!"

by demevs

Noisy, small and hot rooms

"We stayed for 2 nights this weekend. Coincidentally in room 403 next to the previous reviewer although they weren't in our group!!

Our room too we compact to say the least but the main issue was lack of air conditioning on perhaps the hotest weekend on the year. The windows only open a crack and the road outside is very noisy with traffic during the day and then has drunks yelling during the night. As it was so hot we had to have the window open and suffer the noise. The bed is a small double which is not ideal on such a hot night. We were in Bristol as my partner was taking part in a race - we had very little sleep on the saturday night which was far from ideal.

We asked to move for the second night to a room with air con and the hotel did move us to room 624 which was much bigger, a the back of the hotel and had air con. This was a lovely room and had we been there both nights we would have had a very different experience.

The first room and first night really spoilt the trip, given that even budget travel lodges tend to have air con these days expected a lot more given it is supposed to be a 4 star hotel.

by Hezz

Great location,beware of varying room sizes

"Used this hotel due to the location and recent refurbishment. Upon arrival (1.15pm) we were booked in smoothly & politely,when we arrived at our room (number 407) we could not believe how small it was,the lack of hanging space/storage space,no Safe & the Tea /coffee making tray stored in a draw,because if left out,there would be no desk space,you could just about walk around the bed,. The bathroom was compact,, you had to shut the door to just to be able to move about the limited space. We asked to be moved to another room,and to be fair this was done without hesitation, or as if this is a common request. We were allocated room 507,and to our relief and surprise it was 2 to 3 the size of our previous room (safe,plenty of storage/hanging space,seating plus foot stool) ,the bathroom was still small but had better space,we had not been upgraded it was still a superior room.Our stay was very pleasant once we had moved,we had no noise issues,though we had had a few more than one for the road before bed and the breakfast was very good. I would use this hotel again as a second choice,but insist on a good sized room,now I know how much the rooms differ"

by GWUK

Nice Room

"The refurb is great. Stayed in a double room on the 6th floor. Plenty of space. Comfy bed, lovely bathroom, with bath and shower over. Nespresso machine was a nice treat. Room faced the waterfront, only downside is it is very noisy with the bars across the water. Even with the window closed, it's very noisy.

Location is great, you can walk the city from the hotel.

by watsonflook

Oh for a sheet that fits.

"We stayed here as a "freebie" offered by Lastminute.com when we bought tickets for the Elton John concert. Arrived at three minutes to half five and were stung for parking, from 5.30 its free for 24hrs for hotel guests. The foyer was very busy but the room was fine, nice bathroom and good sized bed, natty expresso machine. Tea tray is hidden in the cupboard.! What irked us intensely is the bottom sheet was tatty and did'nt even remotely fit. Consequently it crept around under us all night and was really annoying. Why, given the attention to detail cant they have fitted sheets??"

by ladytravelalot

After ten years I will be crossing this hotel off my list

"I have worked opposite Jury's hotel for the past 10 years and stay there 4 or 5 times a year due to the convenience. We were in room 510 which is the second smallest double room I have every stayed in (the smallest was in down town Manhattan). There was little room to move around the bed without tripping over the chair or the edge of the bed. The bedspread was ripped in several places and very worn. The only mirror in the room was in the bathroom so I had to dry my hair without access to a mirror (not great if you are in business meetings the next day). The recent refurb has resulted in a stygian darkness in the common areas. I know that the hotel can save lots of money each year in lighting bills and promote themselves as ecologically caring, but this is of little comfort when peering at business papers in dim light (in the middle of a bright summer morning)whilst conducting a business meeting. A new Radission is opening just up the road in July and I have booked my next overnight stay with them. Certainly no longer a four star experience."

Management response from Hotelier311, 25 Jun 2009

Dear Guest, Thank you for posting a review of your recent stay at The Bristol Hotel on TripAdvisor, as I do sincerely value the opinions and comments from our guests. I am very sorry that your recent stay did not live up to the previous experiences you’ve had at The Bristol Hotel over the past ten years. Thank you for this patronage in the past, and I assure you that we are just as dedicated as ever to improving our customer experience. I was disappointed to read of the size and condition of the room you were in, as well as your dissatisfaction with the lighting levels in the hotel and proximity of the mirror to the hairdryer. Following your review I will be addressing all of these issues. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss your stay further, and once again, my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. Kind Regards, Mark Roche-Garland General Manager

by claresimpson