Britannia International Hotel

Room: 6.5/10
Cleanliness: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Britannia International Hotel

1 2 »
I booked this hotel as was attending...

"I booked this hotel as was attending an event at the O2 Arena and found this hotel in the heart of the Docklands which is located just across the River Thames from the Arena. I found an extremely good rate through www.hotelstayuk.com (to access site quote offer07).

The hotel is extremely easy to get to on the DLR and the views over London are amazing!

by C Smith

When we arrived at the hotel we were...

"When we arrived at the hotel we were quickly given room keys and ushered to the lifts, no mention of floors, etc. My husband and I travelled with our son who is 14 and had booked two rooms. I found that I was on the 6th floor at one side and my husband and son on the 5th floor at the other side! We were not the only ones this happened too. The hotel was a bit dated and the staff were not in the least bit helpful or welcoming, they couldn't seem to get us out of the way quick enough. The beds were really uncomfortable and I even had a tear in my bottom sheet, not good enough for a 4* hotel. The evening meal was a carvery when the chef eventually appeared to carve the meat. He promptly disappeared again when the queue disappeared and the later people were left stood looking at what to do, the chef never reappeared so I assume they helped themself to something else or went without. The following morning when we went to breakfast I went to sit down to be told that the table was reserved, nothing on the table to tell me this or no chairs pushed forward! I don't think at any time a member of staff asked if everyhting was alright or could they help. Overall I was disappointed, it was reasonably clean, food was good, service absolutely abysmal!"

by C Hoe

I was here for one night on business...

"I was here for one night on business earlier this month.

Given the location and the amount of other hotels in the area, you would think this place would 'up the ante' to get the business but sadly not. It was somewhat odd that the reception was very nice but felt it was a false advertising for the room I had.

The rooms are dated and not particularly welcoming. They could certainly do with some modernisation. Don't let the website fool you in believing you’re getting superb luxury here because you aren't. I found the bed uncomfortable and the room very dull and boring. Rooms with a view are a premium of course and the noise at night from the corridors was too much.

The breakfast was OK but nothing special (again better elsewhere) but the staff were quite rude and couldn't care less if you ask for their help. The main problem was the staff that simply looked and acted as if they couldn't care less.

A word to the wise - if you speak to them in French, you'll get a better service otherwise they can be patronising. The room service food was simply disgusting and definitely NOT recommended serviced by another careless employee.

Overall, If you want the location to Canary Wharf/ Docklands then its fine but remember there are much better and nicer hotels (cheaper hotels) with much more friendlier staff that this. I certainly won't be staying here again if I can help it especially with the staff and horrid food.

by G Forrest

Only stayed for one night but would recommend

"This hotel is easy to find from the tube station and also located near a shopping centre. From our bedroom window we could see the Millenium Dome!! I have read other people's reviews of this hotel but I did not use the pool or eat in the restaurant so I cannot comment on those facilities but if you are looking for a hotel to impress this is the one."

by JacBre

Average hotel - Good location for Docklands

"Stayed here for one night before the london marathon.

Pre-booked room on a discount website - check-in was very fast and efficient.

Room was very large - looked like it had been re-furbished recently but bathroom certainly hadn't been redecorated for a while. Everything worked apart from the Air Con that was rubbish (a number of other reviews have stated this)

Did not eat at restaurant as I point blank refuse to spend £14 on breakfast.

Location was good, 5 minute walk from Herons Quay DLR station - nice views over London.

Fast, efficient checkout and a concierge service to look after your bags (charged £1 per item per day)

In conclusion - a decent hotel if you were looking for a docklands based trip.

by David5150

Would not return to the Britannia International

"My husband and I booked this hotel as a treat for our first wedding anniversary, on paper the hotel seems very nice - especially it's location, but in practice it was a complete let down. The hotel reception area was very nice but was not a true reflection on the rest of the hotel. The rooms were basic - you could find more luxury in a Travel Lodge - but the view from the bedroom window was exceptional. The staff spoke extremely basic English which was really akward when asking general questions about the hotel facilities or directions - They were also really unhelpful. We had taken with us a vintage bottle of champagne which we wanted to drink in our room on our actual wedding anniversary - they begrudged us two champagne glasses. The weekend also had hidden charges such as you weren't allowed to take towels from your room to the pool and instead had to pay to hire towels in the pool area, which is something I have never heard of. The pool area itself had mould on the ceiling and wires hanging down which was neither pleasant nor safe and we were 'grunted' at when we asked for change for the lockers. Breakfast was a fiasco in itself. Usually you are given some instruction as to where to sit or to help yourself to the buffett. We recieved neither and were made to sit at a dirty table and were expected to use up the rest of the pot of tea that had been left from the people before us - we were made well aware of the inconvieniance we were causing by asking for a fresh one. The final straw arrived when we had asked the night before for a one hour extention to our check out time - which surprisingly we were granted only for the receptionist to try and charge us for the extra hour as nobody had written down the extention we had been given. The one saving grace for the weekend was the location of the hotel - Canary Wharf is a fantastic place with fantastic shopping/restaurants etc and is also really easy to get to central london - a visit to the Wharf is a must. However, I wouldn't recommend a stay at the Brittania International Hotel due to the exceptionally poor service and accomodation that is much in need to a face lift."

You will Not get a better deal in London

"The Britannia International Hotel offers jacuzzi rooms, carvery restaurant, hotel bar, car parking, swimming pool, gym and a cool canary wharf location.

Anyone who gives this hotel less than 4 stars on this has never travelled before. Sound advice for travelling in London - "If you want your bags taken up to the room, ask somebody".

I stayed here on valentines day, in a jacuzzi room for 75 pounds through hotel-Assist. Excellent price, had dinner with the Thames just 2 inches from our table, in the riverside restaurant, and there was a wedding in the hotels banquet rooms - cant be that bad if people get married here.

Dont be put off of this hotel by peoples rants, they would be more at home in a 2 star hotel, whining about anything and everything. Go here and you will be pleased!

by LondonHotelMan

Horrible hotel

"I am giving this hotel one star, just because it is actually meant to be a 4-star hotel.

Rooms were average, service was dramatic, and staff were rude. Avoid this hotel. You can do better.

by kyrikos

Unfortunately, cannot say good things about the Britannia International

"We just returned from London where we stayed three nights at the Park Lane Hotel in Piccadilly and then four nights at the Britannia International in Canary Wharf. Whereas the Park Lane Hotel was very nice, we cannot say the same about the Britannia.

To be short and to the point, I shall mention the things that need to be fixed:

1. The dinning room that serves breakfast (Jenny's) is far from being clean. The plates and glasses are plain filthy as is the cutlery. I wanted to take an egg cup for a soft boiled egg but there was not one clean one. I also noticed how the staff set the tables, holding cups with their thumb in the cup and the forks by the tip of the fork instead of the handle. The floor was outright dirty. Service was non-existent. We had to call out several times for some passing staffer to bring us coffee. Yet, their were several staff members/waiters just standing around doing nothing. The food buffet was not arranged nicely and was not attractive. One evening, we had dinner at the same restaurant and even then the service was awful and it was dirty.

2. The room decor is very unattractive, but that is not the staff's fault. What was their fault, was that the room was very stuffy as the ventilation did not work properly and the bathroom sink was clogged. We asked housekeeping to fix those two things, but nothing was done. So, to solve the air problem we wanted to open a window. In order to open and close the windows, one has to call the concierge, which we did. We then left the room and came back much later to find that it had rained in and that somebody from housekeeping had drawn the curtain over the open window, but nobody actually closed it, so it got wet all around the window.

3. We had two phone messages, both important. There was no message light blinking or on, so we had no way of knowing that we had messages waiting. Only many hours later (one was actually the next morning), did we receive a phone call with the messages. That is not service and there is no excuse for it.

4. We found the front desk staff polite but completely nonchalant. We asked wether we could check out one hour later and were told that they would have to charge us BP10 for that. Again, that is not a way to attract hotel guests to come back.

I see that the Britannia Hotels are trying very hard to improve their Internet bookings. May be they should rather look at improving their hotels, at least this one.

I for once, will never recommend to anyone to stay at this hotel and after this experience, I doubt that we will even want to try another Britannia Hotel.

Ok, nothing special

"We stayed here for the London Marathon Weekend as they were offering a package through the hotel. Te experience was pretty bland, the room was ok (although two twin beds pushed together is not a double), and the service was ok (nobody helped with bags and our room wasn't ready even though we arrived after the advertised check in time).

We ordered breakfast to be delivered to the room (as we had 26 miles to run we wanted a bit of substinance). This didn't arrive and we had to get something and eat it on the way, although they still managed to charge us for this breakfast!

On the whole, we got a very cheap price and had an OK stay.

by cawa81

Pretty nice, but uncomfortable beds

"I decided to stay at the Britannia since it was half the price of the Marriott. The room was very nice - sort of an antique feel, without feeling "old". I stayed in a superior room, which was the size of a standard US room. My only gripe was the "double bed", which was really 2 single beds pushed together. The mattress was very thin and not very comfortable. But I got a room with a great view of the water, and the staff was generally friendly."

by A TripAdvisor Member

Booked a week in advance I secured...

"Booked a week in advance I secured three night for two adults bed, breakfast, and dinner for an amazing £50 a night. That’s just £25 per person per night for a 4 star hotel in London!

The room was excellent, the food superb, and the staff very friendly. Swimming pool and gym available for a small fee and free newspapers are provided every day; including Sundays. Just five minutes walk from the subway and a host of shops and pubs nearby.

An excellent bar and adjoining nightclub complete a great deal.

by McPartlin

1 2 »

Map for Britannia International Hotel Closest airport: London City (LCY) 3.2 miles