Hilton London Docklands

Hotel photo More hotel photos

Good

Cleanliness: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Hilton London Docklands

A well located, high quality hotel...

"A well located, high quality hotel with its own dock and ferry to Canary Wharf. Initially on booking this hotel I was worried about the area but with easy access from central London via the river, I need not have worried.

The staff were very helpful and even enrolled me onto their rewards scheme.

The spacious rooms are very well equipped and a joy to use.

The bars and restaurants are clean and reasonably priced. The breakfast was a highlight of my stay.

I enjoyed my stay and look forward to returning.

by kakle

Great Base for Seeing a Different Side of London

"First of all, everyone please be aware that any comments on this site that are negative towards the hotel's location should be ignored. Of course this hotel is not in the West End or Soho, but the hotel does not claim to be. It is however, located in a nice quiet spot in the Docklands area, right on the river Thames. Many of the rooms offer balconies with views of the lively river and the stunning Canary Wharf area with its gleaming skyscrapers. If you do want to get to other parts of London, the hotel runs a ferry service to Canary Wharf, and there are also frequent bus services (both hotel-run and public) from the hotel to Canada Water tube and bus station. I recommend using the public bus service as the hotel shuttle can get full.

The hotel's layout is a bit strange, made up of several different buildings which are connected by bridges that cross over old docks and locks. It can be a bit difficult to find your room at first but this isn't really a problem once you get used to things.

As for the rooms, mine was above expectations with one double bed and one single bed, a sofa, lounge chair, desk, wardrobe and balcony. I would definitely recommend that you ask for or prebook a river view room. The room was definitely larger than the average London hotel room, but bathroom was a bit on the small side. However it did have heated flooring which was a really nice touch after you get out of the shower.

Breakfast was included in my rate (not sure if it's included in all rates) and was buffet style. When the restaurant is full there are two buffet areas, but there is more choice from the area nearest to the restaurant entrance. Food choice was superb, including cold Continental-style items, cereals and porridge, all the trimmings for a traditional English breakfast, and even a few American breakfast items such as waffles and maple syrup. Hotel breakfasts in Britain, in my experience, are usually very good but this was the best I've had. My only gripe is that the servers took a bit too long to bring the coffee and tea (which are not self-service).

Please don't choose this hotel if you expect to be in the centre of London, but if you'd like a superior hotel with larger rooms and a beautiful riverside setting, give this one a try.

by Karter

Stay here only if you HAVE to...

"I stayed here with my husband who was here for business and this was where his company set him up. I would not stay here if we had a choice. I arrived on Wednesday night and we left on Friday.

The hotel is very big and not very charming at all. The very small hallways with what seems like hundreds of tiny rooms packed together were depressing.

The room we got was by my husband's request a nice room. It was not very big and had 2 single beds. We asked for a queen but they didn't have one and my husband who arrived first was too busy to insist or change room.

The location is also not really ideal but you can take the hotel ferry across the river.

On Friday, while I was packing and getting ready to check out, the fire alarm went off. The noise was deafening and there seemed to also be an alarm inside the room so the tiny room filled with a very loud screech. It was horrible, I left the room and went to reception to see what was going on...they said it was test. OK, so I went back thinking it would be turned off soon, I was wrong. It went on for what seemed forever as I tried to hurry my packing so I could get out of my very loud room. It was really horrible.

I did not enjoy my stay here. It lacked charm and the staff seemed indifferent to you. By the way, my husband told me that for the same price as what his company paid to stay here, they could have stayed at a nicer hotel..but the Hilton Docklands was close to his office.

by blu_lingen

Absolutely Fantastic

"we stayed at the hotel for 3 nights from 19-22 May 2006, what a treasure of a hotel. Staff very helpful as it was my daughters birthday they arranged a cake with special requirements and made an extra effort for her. The room was something else!!! we booked a family room and expected 1 room with sofa beds and ended up with a 2 bedroomed accomodation not interconnecting which was fantastic as the my daughters are only young and was nice for some time alone when they had gone to bed. Breakfast was fantastic with lots of choice and was HOT. Great location with a free bus between hotel and tube station ideal with children after a long days walking around london. Abig thankyou to HILTON for making a birthday special."

by clairecross

Great Marathon Weekend

"We stayed at the Hilton Docklands 22-24 April for the marathon weekend. My husband was due to run but unfortunately fell ill and was hospitalised in February and was advised by the doctors not to run. As we booked a special offer deal that could not be cancelled we decided to go anyway to soak up the atmosphere and support a family member who was also running - a good opportunity to suss out the hotel etc as he automatically gets a place for the 2007 marathon. This was an excellent base for both runners and supporters. Just two streets in front of the hotel (salter street) was the 10 mile mark, go back to the hotel and get on the boat across the river and you are at the 19 mile mark, then get on the thames clipper to the Savoy Pier and you reach 25 miles, then walk to St James' Park to meet your friends and family at the finish. The room was large with a balcony and side river view, and although not the most up-to-date, was perfectly functional - and I gather this was one of their smaller standard rooms. The food was excellent and plentiful - breakfast was even run earlier and later than usual to accommodate the competitors. Reception were more than helpful in booking us a taxi to Peckham Rye to visit my brother on the Saturday Night (would recommend the Rye Hotel for a bite to eat too). We would definitely recommend this hotel."

by A TripAdvisor Member

Top Notch

"Two night weekend stay 5/6 May 2006. This hotel is the best Hilton we have stayed in, only Southampton comes close. All facilities were excellent and the most pleasing thing was the superb attitude of the staff. Very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The price was excellent - special offer - but even at full rates the value would have been good. The hotel is well out of central London, oppposite Canary Wharf, but the excellent boat service made it easy to travel between central London and Greenwich. Courtesy bus to nearest tube station at Canada Water on Jubilee line. Only minor quibble was that Dinner was buffet only - no waiter service - but the quality of the food was very good with a wide choice. Also Living Well health club was in an adjacent building with a very small pool but this is being very picky. We will certainly go there again."

by jaze2

Nice stay at the Docklands Hilton

"Stayed at the Docklands Hilton for a conference in November, 2005. The conference facilities were very nice & very convenient. It was not a great location for any attempt at a social life after-hours, however, but the ferry across teh river, which connected to ferries downtown, and the shuttle to the tube were a life-saver. Taxi from Heathrow was well over $100.

Food was hard to find on the same side of the river - within walking distance. Food provided for the conference was excellent. Food and drink in the bar was good - but horribly expensive.

Hard to say if I would stay again since it was so far out of town. But it was an interesting hotel, with personality, and not even close to as bad as we all anticipated when we heard we were staying in the Docklands.

by sas526

Catered for dietary request

"Stayed here in Feb 2006 - catered for dietary request (diabetic) by providing fresh fruit salad and low sugar jam at breakfast time (this is fantastic and very unusual to have requests noted and acted on in a friendly manner). Staff were very pleasant and helpful all over the hotel. Made use of the courtesy bus to the tube station."

by Cacti

Not a great hotel

"I recently stayed at this hotel for 3 nights on business and would not stay here again. The hotel is tired and shabby. I changed my first room as it was tiny with a very narrow one door wardrobe and a small desk. Upon check in, I was offered no assistance to my room with luggage. When I complained about the price of the room and that I wanted to change, the reception were not terribly pleasant, and twice corrected me.

Getting to the rooms is extremely complicated - lots of narrow, draughty bridges. For guests with walking difficultes, I would definitely not recommend this hotel!

The river boat to Canary Wharf is very quick, but expensive. The hotel is in the middle of no-where, with no local amenities. Breakfast and dinner were OK - dinner was a self service buffet - extremely expensive! The phone calls were also very overpriced.

I would not stay in this hotel again.

by Voyager2005

a pleasant stay - quiet location

"Just stayed here for a weekend. Pleasant location with views of canary wharf. Staff helpful and attentive at breakfast. A bit of a long walk to hotel room through meandering corridors , so maybe not suitable if cannot walk far.Also dodgy lip on entrance to bathroom but managed to avoid stubbing my toe. Easy to get into london via courtesy bus to underground. Local area a bit deserted altho two nearby pubs for food and an evening drink. I would stay here again."

by A TripAdvisor Member

Average or even below if you are not lucky with a room

"I've stayed there during my recent business trip since it was close to the corporate office of the company I was visiting.

Well, I've been before in Europe so I was ready for the room. It was actually OK for London. But I was "lucky" to get a room with a view on some warehouse facilities and the road. It was really noisy, windows doesn't help at all. There are some gates which are opened and closed all the time with such terrible sounds that I thought I will have a headache forever.

Internet's price is over the roof with the wireless signal "low" or "no signal" at all. I didn't like breakfast also: great variety but everything serious like meat or sausages is tasteless. If you are a tourist interested in visiting London's main attractions, the location is not very convinient also.

by Barsuchok