Hilton Hotel Malta

Location: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Hilton Hotel Malta

1 2 »
holiday break at Hilton Malta in February

"We had a great experience and would recommend the place to family and friends.The stay was very comfortable.The reception staff and the Concierges were extremely helpful.

The bar near the reception was very relaxing with live music.

Breakfast was sumptuous though we had to queue on the last day of the holiday on a Saturday.

• Holiday details: Feb 2014, booked with chevron
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by darlymathew

Super Hotel

"A super hotel with excellent staff. The rise in the value of the euro makes Malta no longer a cheap destination but this hotel is still good value.

My wife and I have booked again for Xmas 2009, this time with Chevron Holidays.

Chevron sent us a leaflet on 25th Novemeber 2009 which offered us places at the La Vallette Lounge at Malta Airport for £12 each. When we tried to book this a few days later they quoted £32 each. Turns out that this is a deliberate tactic as they admitted later that they already knew it had gone up! So much for transparent pricing - beware.

• Holiday details: Dec 2008, Bed & Breakfast, booked with Malta Direct
  • Advice: Hot summers, mild winters
  • Activities: Blue Elephant, Ir Rokna, El Ghonella
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by dnjones

My husband and I went in July 08 to...

"My husband and I went in July 08 to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary, having previously been married in Malta in July 07. Last year we stayed in The Westin, but decided to try a different hotel on our return. Well, what can i say !! totally fantastic time, the staff could not have been more helpful, the pool area was clean and plenty of sunbed spaces, whatever time of day you went down, it even has an adults only pool if the kids splashing around is getting too much for you. Whilst sitting around the pool, every so often a member of staff comes round with cool face flannels, which given the heat was well in to the 90's they were like heaven. The room was spacious and very clean, fresh towels and linen every day, bathroom also clean with a good hairdryer, no mould round bath like we have experienced in previous hotels we've stayed in. TV in room which has english channels if you want, balcony was massive, plenty of room to dry off any swim suits (drying rack provided) lovely views (we chose sea view, but marina view would also be lovely, especially to people watch around the Portomaso complex). Breakfast was a buffet affair, but everything was top notch, all UK branded cereals (kellogs cornflakes, coco pops etc) lurpak butter etc. The amount of different breads was amazing as well as your usual cooked breakfast items/cold meats/fruits etc there was also an egg chef who cooked the eggs to your liking eg fried/poached/omlettes. We ate out at a different restaurant each night, definately try Blue Elephant (thai) Barracuda (fish) Peppinos (italian) Hard Rock Cafe good for light lunch etc, also try get to Valleta to eat at Ambrosia (next door to The Pub where Oliver Reed had his last pint). In the Portomaso complex we tried Buffalo Bills (steak) Sal e Pepe (italian/mediterranian) and the chinese and the maltese restaurant at the very bottom of the steps, can't remember the names of the last two, but all were very good. We were told the Japanese sushi place was also very good, but we had run out of time on holiday !!!! Overall, we thouroughly enjoyed ourselves and will definately be going back to Malta again."

by J WAITE

Returned from a week’s stay in...

"Returned from a week’s stay in December 2007. One word - fabulous! We arrived late in the evening and the check in was very professional. About twenty minutes later we were sitting on the balcony overlooking the marina below. Our room was large with twin beds and the bathroom was big and spacious.

We booked half board so we ate in the Oceana Restaurant for our meals. It was buffet but it was very nice and a lot of choice. The presentation was excellent. The waiters were always very busy but were very prompt in clearing away dishes etc.

A couple of days into our break we had to move rooms. We were given a room that was one half of a suite with a connection through to a main door. The trouble with this was that we could hear other people more clearly, neighbours etc. So we went back to reception where we voiced our complaint and they changed our room immediately. The concierge took us around the complex to look at other rooms.

A wonderful stay at the Hilton and very recommended.

by M Davenport

We booked an executive room. The room...

"We booked an executive room. The room was fabulous with great views of the marina and of the ocean. The hotel is brilliant. We checked in at the executive lounge, we were given a welcome drink.

It is a genuine 5 star hotel. The staff here are exceptional.

We went to the adult pool each day. No one was there to patrol it. There were children running in and out of it every 10 minutes. The children were removed and asked to swim in the kid’s pool.

Dive wise is a fantastic diving school my husband went with them and had a good time going to Popeyes cave etc.

We went to Allegro Andante (a local restaurant) following some friends advice. Not very good. The pasta my husband got served was rock hard. My lamb was really fatty and hardly no meat on.

I would stay in this hotel again.

by Davenport

We married at the Hilton Hotel in...

"We married at the Hilton Hotel in Malta in Aug 2006. We booked the two week package deal through Thomson Holidays. The rep wasn't particularly friendly.

The hotel was amazing and the staff were so friendly and helpful. We arranged the whole wedding ourselves rather than trust a tour operator to do this. We had 21 friends and family come and join us for our special day. We married in the grounds of the hotel and had a meal in the Gazebo restaurant there. The wedding planner, Johanna, was so helpful and reassuring.

The hotel is set in the fashionable Portomaso complex with excellent bars and restaurants, definitely recommend the Blue Elephant Thai restaurant at the hotel. The breakfast is to die for, serving everything you can imagine.

Just wanted to say a big thank you to the all the staff at the hotel and we will be back in the near future.

by  K  Scott

Good but very overpriced!!

"Stayed at Hilton in Valetta (Malta). The good point: Nice rooms and very nice king size bed. The bad points: Internet not included in rate and offered through sub-contracted wi-fi service only, which sometimes obliges you to reset your internet access parameters of your PC. I paid 74 Maltese Liras, (abt. 200 €), which I found too much when compared to some others of similar quality offering far better prices. Stayed at the Westin two days later and internet was included, automatic no need to do anything to my PC and the so called heavenly bed and room was as nice if not nicer than the Hilton and ended paying 47 Maltese per night. In my opinion, my next stay is obvious!"

by Carlos_Barcelona

A Brilliant Stay

"Have just returned from a week at this hotel, and cant really fault it.It exceeded my expectations for what we would get! Our room overlooked the sea and we could hear the waves day and night, blissful. The room was kept very clean all week, by pleasant housekeepers.

All the staff at this hotel are so friendly and helpful, i did not encounter one miserable or gumpy member of staff, which would never happen during a week in england!!

Breakfast every morning was fantastic, such a wide choice and fantastic, un-obtrusive service from the staff. The chance to have eggs cooked to your liking in front of you, is certainly a bonus!

We only ate in the Italien restaurant, and although not cheap its no more expensive than you pay for it in England, but service and food five times better in Malta!!

Two mins walk from the hotel is Portomaso where there are a selection of restaurants/cafes. I can recommend Joey Tomatoes, Ceasars Cafe and non solo cafe for meals, snacks, and drinks.

St Julians & Paceville are quite tacky and a lot of litter, but there are lots of bars and restaurants, but we stuck to portomaso where you over look the marina, and dont have to walk far back to the hotel!

The only points i would make are the beds have sheets and blankets on them rarther than duvets, but in summer i suppose this is an advantage. There are no stairs, you have to take the lift everywhere which gets annoying when you would rarther walk, and it can be hard to get to the leisure club, if your on the wrong side of the building! Other than that absolutly fantastic hotel and stay.I recommend to everyone!!

by hewwy

Great location

"We ended up at the Hilton afer booking the Paradise Bay hotel - hating it & checking out the next day. With the Hilton brand you always know what to expect. The rooms were spacious, clean & bright. We had a superior room with fantastic views over the bay - beautiful by moonlight & with a view of the casino with is flashing lights & the garden lit up with sparkling lights at night - very pretty. We also slept with the doors open going to sleep hearing the sound of waves. We ate in the Blue Elephant having eaten at their other branch in Chelsea, London & it was every bit as good & the restaurant decorated with a stream, trees etc. We also went & ate in the harbour/marina just blow the hotel. We went to a new restaurant called The Bed - a Korean restaurant which was very stylish. It was decorated totally in white with bed/sofa's you can lounge on to eat at the back or normal tables but with a grill in the middle you could cook your own fish or meat on (or get a waiter to cook it for you), soft colour change lighting, a few cocktails & 5 mins back the Hilton to listen to the waves in bed - so relaxing. I would go back again. We only had a weekend but we wanted to relax Oct was'nt too hot & slightly out of season so the hotel was'nt too crowded. Although saying that the beach bar & restaurant near the sea was closed from September. Malta's not the cheapest place in Europe so the restaurants in the Hilton & the pool bar, bars etc are not the cheapest but similar to prices in England & portions are fairly generous. There is also a cafe on the approach road very popular with Maltese on Sundays that does good snacks & sandwiches in addition to hotel based restaurants. Get the hotel to book taxi's in advance as they are fairly expensive & cheaper through the hotel - taxi driver's hear the name Hilton & the charges seem costly compared to the prices displayed on the reception desk."

Amazing!

"This was one of the best hotels I ever stayed at, and I do travel alot due to my job. The rooms were big and very slylishly designed, the view from my window was simply breathtaking, the lit marina, the beautiful boats, and the endless sea. It was a peaceful place to stay, no noise, and no bothering from staff or other clients.

All my needs were perfectly met, I never met such friendly and wonderful staff. I also adored the gym, its not a huge gym, yet it had everything I need, a lot of cardeo machines and a wonderful pool.

It was the perfection of exelency. I am really thankful to everyone who had made my stay a memorable one. The hotel restaurants were amazing, exquisite, deliscious food. There were restaurants for every taste, sea food at 'Oceana', Thai food at 'Blue elefant, and sushi at the Sushu bar.

It was a dream. even though I was on a business trip, it turned out to be a very laxurious holiday.

Outside the hotel I came across a very wonderful and cozy restaurant D'amici, its 3 minute walk to the right. I even tride Russian food there, and the staff was amazing!

Beautiful Hilton

"My partner and I stayed at the Hilton in Sept 05. We booked direct using Hilton and secured what i think was a pretty good rate. I pre-arranged an airport pickup with the hotel which was a good idea - and very reasonable (approx 13 GBP).

Upon arrival we were upgraded to an executive room on 9th floor with a marina view. This room had carpet not marble floors and consquently we didn't experience any of the problems with noise that other reviews mention. The room itself was fine, very large with a super-king bed. My only complaint was that it was very corporate - i travel a lot on business and i felt at first that i was in a business room - rather than on a leisure trip.

The hotel and complex is actually quite stunning, Portomaso is a lovely setting with some excellent restaurants built into the marina. The pool areas are lovely - clearly a lot of attention to detail went into the planning.

We went in the 2nd week of September and didn't experience any of the problems with noisy children that have been mentioned. I'm sure the hotel has quite a different atmosphere in July/August but whilst we were there the pools were so quiet and relaxing. Always plenty of sun loungers and the adult only area was respected.

The surrounding area is fantastic - lots of restaurant choice. We even went into Paceville one night found ourselves pleasantly surprised. Yes, it's noisy and busy but there are some great bars and it's certainly nicer than most English town centres on a Saturday night.

Downsides: there aren't too many but here they are:

1. Yes, it is very expensive to eat by the pool.

2. Sun loungers are rubbish - they don't have padded mattresses on them which is really surprising for a 5 star.

3. Pool was freezing even though weather was hot - i think they chill it

4. As you walk out of the hotel you have to walk through a square which is full of teenagers just hanging out. I don't think they are problematic and we certainly had no issue with them at all but older people might feel a little intimiated by their sheers numbers and noise.

If you want a relaxing, hassle free stay then i thoroughly recommend an off-peak visit to the Hilton Malta. It's got the best location on the island and if I would definitely stay there again.

by Sweep

A great hotel

"This hotel impressed me even before I booked. I emailed Shirley Grixti several times before I confirmed a booking with various queries. Each time the reply was quick, courteous, helpful and, importantly, accurate.

On arrival all of our advance arrangements were in place without me having to make any further requests. Level of service is very high. Staff have been trained to be attentive but invisible until you need them and then you find that nothing is too much trouble. Service is slick without that cloying obsequiousness that is all too often found in high end hotels. We ate in all the hotel's resturants during our two week stay. The Oceana is large and, if anything, lacks intimacy but the food is excellent. Bottega del Vino, the Italian a la carte restaurant, is more intimate and that is where we ate most. The Thai restaurant, The Blue Elephant, is quite an experience. First of all you have to pinch yourself thay you are actually in Malta not Thailand because the decor and, of course, the staff are so authentically Thai and the food is superb although it is by far the most expensive restaurant in the hotel. In general eating costs were a little higher than in other local restaurants but a slight premium is worthwhile for conveneince and quality.

We also had room service several times on our balcony overlooking the splendid pool deck. The standard was excellent and punctual.

Architecture is modern and very impressive althugh perhaps it does err, in the Oceana, on the side of being large and functional rather than minimalist. One would hesitate in a 5 star hotel to describe it as a canteen but it does have that slight feel about it.

We found the air conditioning slightly excessive and were,if anything, a little cold when sitting at dinner.

I was aware before we went of some comments about noise from housekeeping. They certainly do start early but apart from one morning when it sounded as if house removers were at work in the room above we did not find this a persistent problem.

Whilst food is reasonably priced we considered drinks to be exorbitantly priced. Wine list is a bit limited and very expensive compared to local shop prices(even in a tourist area). Two large Cokes at the poolside costs 4.2 LM(about £7) and a bottle of Highland Spring water 2.5 LM(about £4) and this was probably the only slight negative I would record about the hotel.

Location is good although it is on the fringes of Paceville and the noise of discos can be heard, albeit not particularly intrusively, at night. The antics of some of the clubbers at night on the rocky foreshore beyond the hotel might require you to look discretely in another direction unless you wish to reinforce your knowledge of the procreative process.

The Portamaso location is good but the area immediately around it is obviously being upgraded. Spinola Square between the hotel and St Julians attracts some undesirable elements at night and the hotel developers would do well to put pressure on local authorities to clean this up because it does detract from the overal amenity of the Hilton hotel and conference facilities.

All things considered though, this really is a top flight hotel.

1 2 »