Canaima Apartments

Service: 5.5/10
Food: 5.5/10
Value: 6.5/10
Location: 6.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Canaima Apartments

Enter your dates:

1 2 35 »
Good apartment for it price by Oleg T

I'm a 35 man. Stayed along in this hotel in the end of june for a one week. I can't say nothing bad about it. Apartment had 2 rooms, large bathroom and a kitchen place with all you need. Room walls wasn't clean, they had a dirty feet and finger prints and bathroom ceiling paint comes off, but it not disturb me because I did not sitting in all day long, it is only for sleeping, and when I sleep I don't care about how clean is a walls :) Only thing what disturbs me a cooking pan was sticking everything no matter how much oil I put on it. But room cleaner also washed dishes and this sticky pan :) Somebody wrote the apartments have no conditioning and they are hot. Yes, if you are stupid enough it will be hot! But when outside was +33'C inside temperature at evening time was for me around a +20 +22'C it is very comfortable for sleeping. Just put the balcony doors curtains close then sun not heating an air inside and let back window opened for day. Pool was good enough and clean. Many sunbeds was broken but usable. If you want to go to town or whatever where there are plenty of steps around. It is straight stair to the shopping center what is very usable of me to bring some food. If you are lazy or have problems with health it's not for you - use a taxi. I liked moving up and down stairs. I am a sporty man. Sometimes I was running up from the shop with 8L bottle of water in one hand and a plastic bag with food in over hand. It was good workout for me. The cats that are around a hotel are very smart. If you don't touch them they don't see you and do not make any problems for you. But if you touch the cats they start to follow you to you room and ask for food. If you don't give a food they forget about you, and if you feed them they still live on your balcony :) and if you show them the arm palms opened wide they scare and running away :) Stuff was friendly. Room cleaner didn't speak english so if you don't speak spanish it's a waste of time trying to ask her for something. Windows are opened 24/7. My stuff including passport, cash money and credit cards are strewn everywhere around the room and nobody took them. Hotel mananger let me stay till one o'clock at last day when I asked him, because my flight was at evening and I had nowhere to go with my luggage. I think about coming back next year. Very good place to stay!

thieves by Brian M

i stayed here in may 2012 with the wife went out for beer and upon my return the place was ransacked by the cleaners bring a gun and dont leave your apartment for anything,,, not even beer

• Holiday details: May 2012, Booked Independently
  • Advice: the cats millions of them

ok but steps were a killer there was building work going on to but was clean. by Deborah L

the location is 1/2 way up the hill in total 246 steps to the shops and a good 20 to 25min walk to the sea. the rooms are clean and ok for the cheap price but the beds are as hard as concrete theres no air con and if you need a fan you have to hire them and you will need a fan, but hay you get what you pay for and this is a 1-2 star hotel the pool is clean and nice but all the beds are damaged around the pool this is ok for a cheap hoilday but if you are over 60 are can not walk far this is not the hotel for you. stayed from 26th june 2012 to july 10th 2012.have been going to puerto rico for over 27 years and is a great place best bar is steve and kims and the indian head and you must go to morgan on the boat on friday is great. hope this helps

• Holiday details: Jul 2012, booked with ulook we book

thieves by petebrew

beware of thieves , our room broken into door was forced , manager rude ,night porter going around at night banging on windows to make sure your ok ? not really he's checking to see who is in ! our cases where ripped open and two knifes found in another room.night porter did'nt want to phone police and wanted the knifes.seemingly this happened to another couple and they flew home following day.

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, self catering, Booked Independently
  • Advice: dont go

It was OK but I wouldn't stay here again by Jammy Dodger

I knew these apartments were only 2 star when I booked & I didn't pay a lot for it, but having stayed in similarly rated places elsewhere in Europe I felt confident that this place would be basic but clean.Please don't get me wrong, I'm not a holiday snob. It was basic yes, but not clean. There were underpants from the previous occupant in the cupboard, the bathroom stank of urine, there was dust half an inch thick and cobwebs under all the furniture, we had cockroaches and ants in our apartment on a daily basis, the sheets were only changed once in 14 nights and the bathroom had a really bad case of mould. The manager was extremely rude, he swore at guests who dared complain and two apartments were broken into while we there. The rest of the staff are lovely, the pool area is pretty decent, the bar (although it closes as 9pm, which is a good or bad thing depending on your outlook)was reasonable & kept very clean . Yes there are cats but they didn't cause us any hassle and there are signs all over the place asking you not to touch or feed them - and if they won't leave you alone, one guest found a water pistol quite an effective deterrent. There's a small shop onsite for essentials, it's close to the town centre - there are a lot of steps but a taxi back up is less than 3 euros if you don't fancy the walk. You do get some noise from the town but a pair of ear plugs stops any sleep disturbance. If it hadn't have been so dirty in our apartment, I'd stay here again despite the miserable manager. Basic furnishings and flaky paint I can handle; mould, filth and cockroaches I can't.

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Self Catering, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Book a different apartment.

Dont go here by ryan_mc

I arrived here 14th Aug 2011 and was broken into on the 15th Aug 2011> the manager was not any help to us at all. he took 7 euros from us to use the phone to try get a new place.He also charged us for a night we didn't stay there as i didn't let him speak to rep of phone. He barred me from the reception area stopped me using the open only let my partner use phone.He could not care about what happened to us saying thing like this happen.We spoke to other's who were living in these apartments has also been broken into witch meant(6 brackens in 10 DAY'S).There was also another bracken the same night as ours.This was my son of 4 years old first holiday and all he keeps thinking about is buglers.

• Holiday details: Aug 2011, Room Only, booked with on the beach recommend not apartments
  • Advice: stay away

Excellent value for money by Becki & Daniel

Where to start... When we arrived the lady on reception was lovely, helpful and we got our keys to our room even though it was 11am and check in wasnt meant to be until 2pm. NO PROBLEMS. Rooms were cleaned daily, apart from when we were still in ther feeling a little sensitive from the night before. ... OK so there were a few bits of paint missing on the outside walls but hey! its hot and it is a 2star (probs should be 3) But nothing majorly wrong, shop was small but had all your essentials, bar was very good and the bar staff where good with serving food and drinks. The pool was clean and nice and cool ready for when you get too warm!. Sunbeds were good, occasional broken one, but then again everywhere will have that! the walk back from the centre wasnt too bas (7 months pregant) as long as it was at night, too hot in the day but 3 euro taxi ride was quick and cheap. We had no problems with noise from idiots in big groups and was pleasently surprised that the food at the bar was quite resonably priced.. This is definately the place to go if you want a cheap deal with a clean and friendly enviroment, close enough to the centre to enjoy but far enough so you can sleep! very highly recommended for the price and star rating!!!!!

• Holiday details: Jun 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: go to the hiperdino in puerto rico centre and stock up on food. easier to cook than spend money

don't go there by col

I have just recently returned from these apartments .I have been going to this resort for the past ten years.and stayed in various apartments in the resort these have got to be the worst ever because they are cheap and basic you expect them to be clean this was not the case my apartment was over run with Beatles opened up the cutlery draw one day there was ants everywhere.the manager was very rude wouldn't recommend these apartments to anyone the Walls behind the bed where full off fungus .

• Holiday details: May 2011, Room Only, Booked Independently

Good and bad by Intrepid traveller

Just back from visiting the Canaima apartments in Puerto Rico. I'll give the best points first:

1. Staff very friendly and helpful.

2. As described in previous reviews, the accommodation is fairly basic but clean, albeit soul-less. Entrance to most apartments is through balcony via patio doors.

3. Apartment costs reflect standard. These are not 3 star plus and as mentioned previously, do not have air conditioning but are good value for out of summer rental.

4. Poolside and bar pretty good as can be seen in previously published images. Pool good size although not heated!

Not so good points:

1. No reception at ground level (just a barred gate)so initial impression not good.

2. Yes, there are lots of cats but if you do not encourage them they will not bother you. They are fed on the premises with lots of food bowls scattered around.

3. As our return flight was in the evening and we had to be out of our apartment by 11.0 am, we could have done with a shower but try as we may, couldn't find the shower room despite asking staff for directions!

4. As previously mentioned, late (or should I say, early morning) returners from the nightclub will wake you up if they have hard shoes. Also, because the rooms are staggered, the bathroom will be above the bedrooms below and the water (both from the basins, showers and toilets) rushes past your bedhead! Not a welcome image at 4.0am in the morning!

5. This is the worst I'm afraid. All of the bedrooms are at the end of the apartments: i.e. Balcony, entrance to apartment, then kitchen, bathroom and lastly bedroom. All of the ground floor apartments have barred windows. If there is a fire in the apartment, there is no way out (see images). The upper apartments do not have these barred windows to the bedroom so they are okay. These lower apartments cannot meet fire regulations so if you are given one, ask to be moved.

6. I have downloded images of our apartment, the walls, bed linen etc. This may not reflect all apartments.

Overall, you get what you pay for. With a bit of investment, these apartments could be really quite good but are let down by penny pinching. The pay tv's are pathetic and you have to ask yourself why do they bother? They are so small you would have to stand a couple of feet away to see anything!

As mentioned in other reviews (most are actually quite accurate), I will go to another apartment next time, probably in Puerto Mogan, which is a much more attractive place. Even the food is cheaper!

• Holiday details: Mar 2011, Room Only, booked with Low cost holidays
  • Advice: Go out of season for a value short break.

just the place for animal lovers by cat lover

On arrival I noticed several cats,all well behaved. Two of them moved into our apartment and lived there as if they were our cats at home,perfectly well house trained. I fed the other cats which would visit our apartment on a regular visit with milk,cheap ham,tinned sausagesor fish.Two cats caused me concern. There is a ginger cat which has one back leg missing and a paw missing, it is friendly and loves to be stroked however it sometimes has difficulty eating but loves milk. The staff provide milk but this cat has a job reaching into the container so its impotant that somebody gives it milk regularly in a small container like a saucer or dish. The other is a black cat that has a very rough coat. It is important to make sure he gets plenty of food as other cats will get

in first.

Most guest and staff were friendly but two british couples were very anti social.

On the negative side, tv has a money box attached it cheats you on the amount you put in but since there is only one english, bad reception, old films channel, take a dvd player with you and catch up on what you want to watch.

If you rent a safe put the receipt in it so you have it. manager will not refund without it.

Apartments are spotless and I loved sitting late at night listening to the sounds and watching the night life unfold from my balcony.

Not for the wingers but then it was cheap and different.

At first I thought the climb up the hill was a bit much(300 plus stairs) but by the end of the fortnight I enjoyed it. Obviously I needed the exercise however there is a taxis if you prefer.

A shop is available on site however costs are twice as much than shops in town.

• Holiday details: Oct 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently

Not the best for the money ! by Mark170974

I have just returned from a week at Canaima, having stayed in varios other apartments very near by over the past few years, I can confidently say there are better available for the same budget. Arimar 100 yds down the road for one.

The apartments themselves were small but clean, if slightly under eqipped in the kitchen.

The complex was busy, however, not enough sun loungers and those available being broken was not great. The other main bug bear is the sheer number of wild cats roaming the place, this was frankly off putting.

There is a charge for almost everything from a sunlounger to a kettle which soon adds up, if you are unlucky enough to have to deal with the "Manager" then be prepared as this has to be one of the rudest, unhelpfull humans it has been my misfortune to encounter.

All in all the resort is fantastic but I will never again stay at this so called apartment complex !!

• Holiday details: Oct 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: The resort yes, not these apartments.

Cant say i was impressed by jay

Have just got back from the Canaima Apartments and have to say i was very disappointed....the apartments were very basic which wasnt a problem, the problem was they were not very clean, the bathroom was filthy and the floor hadnt been swept....my son found a huge cockroach in the apartment, the pool area was nice but most of the loungers were broken as were the parasols....the staff seemed freindly enough but the manager was extremely rude and very unhelpful....definatley would not stay there again......

1 2 35 »

Stayed at Canaima Apartments? Share your insight.

Canaima Apartments also called

• canaima apartments hotel puerto rico
  • canaima apartments puerto rico
  • Address: Avenida Cardones 1-3, Gran Canaria 35130, Spain

Map for Canaima Apartments Closest airport: Gran Canaria (LPA) 24.9 miles

Canaima Apartments photos (10 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Canaima Apartments
  • by Usually Happy

" We liked The Royal Oak for entertainment and food and also the Pizza Plaza "

• by alan64

" fav restaurants was the EL CIERVO the waiters there where great...EL TORRO was good as well.. "

• by denise thomson

" Balcon Canario, Minana Restaurant which is outside the Castillo del sol apartments. "

• by hana_louise99

" San Miguel's, chinese buffet, Amadores beach, Ferry to mogan. "

• by x__2009

" visit jokers and route 66 "

• by Rowe Family of Four

" lots of steep hills and plenty of steps, not for the faint hearted "

• by cat lover

" Great if you enjoy hills "

• by Deborah Layzell

" if you are looking for a cheap hotel this is ok but if you need to walk use a cab "