Aparthotel Ariel

3.5 star

Good

Service: 6.5/10
Value: 6.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Aparthotel Ariel

"odd one out"

"Very disappointed to find hotel does not cater for English at all. Booked this place as it said 4 pools and entertainment for the children. Only we couldn't go to the pools or the entertainment or even eat at the snack bar as no english children, no english entertainment and no english food! We were outcasts. My teenagers had no-one to talk to and spent the first 4 days arguing. My 4 year old couldn't understand why a little boy wouldn't answer him. The accommodation was very basic too having bunk beds in a tiny room!

If it hadn't been for the Tropical gardens just at the bottom of the road which had a pool and entertainment both day and night we would have had a lousy holiday. Would go back to Cala d'or as lovely cala gran beach not far from accommodation and just to visit Tropical Gardens again.

• Holiday details: Aug 2010, self catering, booked with Cosmos
  • Advice: dont go to this accommodation
by Smithy

Ariel

"I've been to Ariel , Cala d'or with my family that year in June. We are from Poland . I think that Areil is the most beautiful and comfortable hotel I've ever been to! I has 4 swimming pools and there are about 4-5 apartmaments blocks which are awesome! Hotel is located in the centre of the city but there is no noise in the night or in very early morning. It is a small and quiet city. There are a lot of shops and restaurants when you can eat Spanish food. Beach is located 2 minuted walk from hotel.

We really loved that place and we are going there in August too! but not for one week like that but for 2 or even 3! Wheather was wonderful!

One minus of that is that all entertaiment was in GERMAN ! no spanish msic and language! it was horrible but the reast was wonderful!

• Holiday details: Jun 2009, All Inclusive, booked with exim tours
  • Advice: The best place ever!
by czila

pleasant holiday

"My husband and I took our 2 boys - 12 and 9 years - and my mother and father in law came too.We went self catering so we were located across the road from the main hotel.Our room with balcony overlooked one of the small pools.Very small area for sunbeds and hardly a free sunbed until late afternoon.My in laws had a view over a huge roof,which I wouldnt have liked myself.Rooms were basic - but clean,and good linen and towel changes.Fridge in both apartments didn't work.main pool across the road was awful - my in laws wouldn't even sit round it - very overcrowded and very loud music all day.However after the beach or going out all day,my hubby and I took the kids there as it was less crowded at 5/6pm - and they enjoyed it.I couldn't sit there myself all day - but it was nicer at that time of day.

My hubby paid for a TV in the second week at a minimal charge and mainly because the olympics were on - but the kids found the odd channel to watch at times,when we were getting ready.There is a volley ball court and mini golf which we didn't use because you had to pay.There is a small room with table tennis,which my father in law encountered some of the reception staff are loathed to give the bats out! - there is a feeling that the staff do favour other travellers from other countries.

Beautiful beaches,lots of resturants to choose from.My kids don't want to sit through "entertainment" at night - but enjoy the atmosphere of walking round,in the evening.Lots of shops and things going on.2 or 3 small supermarkets around although I didn't find the nicest one until the second week (spar near beach)

Harbour is about 15/20 mins walk away - and really worth seeing.Resturants are nice - just get very busy the later you eat.We did find the whole area quite expensive,and prices in the harbour are no different really,just smaller portions!

We enjoyed the water park - we would have liked to have gone twice but funds didn't allow! You do have to pay for sunbeds and lockers though and you can pay for your own rings if you don't want to wait for them.

We visited the caves of Drach - worth seeing if you're patient with crowds!!!

We also did a glass bottom boat ride - again quite a huge expense and really quite bad safety aspects when it came to jumping off board for a swim.

We had a nice 2 weeks here-it was more expensive than we had anticipated,and possibly not as suited to my inlaws as it was to us.That said,as a family,we had lovely meals and all enjoyed the beaches immensly.The lack of "nice" areas around the pools were more than made up for,in the beaches.

I heard many all inclusive guests complaining.

• Holiday details: Aug 2008, Self Catering, booked with Cosmos
  • Advice: lots of things to do in Cala D'or and many surrounding places to visit
by rainbowdottie

Ariel is very central to Cala Dor....

"Ariel is very central to Cala Dor. The beach, bars,resturants are just a stroll away.The hotel is clean and the staff friendly and efficient. The food is good although as with all inclusive can get repetitive but a night at one of the steakhouses that offer unlimited ribs in 9 flavours for about 15 euros is a welcome change.There is a choice of four pools to suit your mood, the main pool is lively with children or a quieter small pool set in gardens. The hotel entertainment program is run by a German tour opperator although they speak english they could have made more effort to include the english. Great hotel if you meet other Brits or go as a group, I would definately go again and take friends."

by N Thompsett

We have just returned from Ariel...

"We have just returned from Ariel apartments in Cala D’Or. The apartments are very clean and the location is excellent. The complex is spread out between two buildings each with their own swimming pool. The main block was reserved for German families and the smaller block was where all the English families were.

The only problem being that the second block of apartments had no pool bar or reception so if you wanted anything it was a 200m walk to the other block. The German pool was where the entertainment was on a night as well but you could never get a seat unless you were there very early.

The only other down side was that there were no lifts to any of the apartments. We have twin boys and we found 4 flights of stairs up to our apartment a bit of a nightmare with two pushchairs. The beach is only 2 minutes from the apartments and the shops are all close by.

The children’s club is also run by a German rep so we did hear mixed reports about this from families who had tried to us it. The resort is lovely although its not very pushchair friendly and we found the restaurants reasonable but the drinks were expensive.

by  J Hamilton

In our party was four adults and two...

"In our party was four adults and two young children, we have just returned from the Ariel apartments and can honestly say it was one of the most enjoyable and relaxing holidays we have had for a long time.

The apartments were basic but were cleaned every day apart from a Saturday which was change over day.

The kitchen consisted of two rings, kettle, toaster and a coffee machine.

The smaller swimming pool was ideal for our children (7 & 4), and they loved going to the hotel run kids club most of the children were mainly German but our children communicated very well as the reps were English and German speaking.

The location of the apartments is brilliant as nothing is more than ten minutes walk away.

We would definitely go back to this resort and these apartments.

by  S Mitchell

Overall myself and my boyfriend's...

"Overall myself and my boyfriend's stay at the Ariel Apartments in Cala D'Or was very enjoyable. We opted for Allocation on Arrival, which was a slightly daunting prospect given that I was 22 weeks pregnant and desperately hoping that where we were staying was at least clean! Thankfully, after a long airport transfer on a stuffy coach, we arrived at a very basic yet clean apartment.

We had chosen a self-catering basis for our holiday, and unfortunately were quite limited insofar as the meals we could prepare at our apartment. We had a hob and an old grimy toaster. There was no grill, kettle or oven. On the first night we arrived long after all the local supermarkets had closed, so we couldn't eat and panicked as we tried to figure out where we could buy some bottled water at the very least.

We were not the only ones with this concern - another lady needed water for her child who was unwell. We approached the man at reception who promptly informed us (in Spanish, which we struggled to understand) that there was nowhere we could obtain a bottle of water from - it was too late. But on our walk back to the apartment, dehydrated, we discovered a vending machine selling bottled water hidden in another part of the hotel. Needless to say, the bloke on reception was useless to us and the other tired and thirsty holidaymakers who had just arrived at the resort that night. This is my only complaint about the resort and its staff.

However, this bad start aside, the resort was beautiful and the perfect family destination. The evening entertainment was fantastic for toddlers and young children - not so great for adults! Perhaps not the best resort for couples, but we enjoyed our stay nonetheless.

With regard to the English/German barrier, I can't say I noticed it myself. In fact my partner and I got chatting to a very friendly German family who spoke good English.

Overall, a nice place, but I'd recommend it to families with young children rather than couples.

by Not Specified

Cala D'or was lovely.... the Ariel is...

"Cala D'or was lovely.... the Ariel is alright, the rooms were clean, basic but clean. The manager of the hotel speaks and understands English perfectly well until you are wanting to make a complaint then all of a sudden he loses the power. The evening entertain was dreadful focused more at Germans same with the mini kids clubs. The meals are diabolical deep fried recycled rubbish pretty much the same as most hotel meals. I ate out after having two meals there.

We ventured to Cala Gran beach most days its beautiful be there early in order to secure a sun lounger anytime after 11am and you’re packed in like seals on the sand. We spent many of our evenings at walshies bar not much in the form of adult entertainment apart from the soaps and sky TV, but my 6-year-old daughter loved the play area.

I would defiantly go back to Cala D'or maybe even stay in the Ariel but only on a self catering basis.

by N Brown

We had never stayed in apartments...

"We had never stayed in apartments before so we didn’t really know what to expect but it lived to expectations and more.

The apartments themselves were very spacious clean and had a good amount of kitchen appliances for being 3 star apartments. The balcony was a decent size with a nice pool view so we could see our kids from the balcony. Also we struck lucky by having a sort of sun terrace extended from our balcony, Also with the apartments being in blocks rather than rows there was no chance of hearing our neighbours through the walls. The staff at the reception were very helpful and friendly. The apartments are in a great location on top of the shops restaurants and bars and only a short stroll away from the Cala Gran beach.

The resort itself is beautiful and believe me the 20 min walk to the marina is worth it. We loved the apartments the resort and the whole holiday. We are already booked up to go to the Ariel apartments next year.

by TT Toole

4 of us shared an apartment. We were...

"4 of us shared an apartment. We were extremely lucky with our accommodation....we were in a block away from the main hotel with only 2 apartments joined. It was in the style of a medieval Spanish house, with heavy oak doors and archways and frescoes on the wall. It was beautiful.

Only 1 bathroom, which was off our bedroom, which was a bit of a nuisance - especially at night! 2 separate double rooms, a kitchen (kettle, toaster, cooker etc), larder, lounge, hallway and large balcony. Light bulbs had a tendency to blow and lost hot water a couple of times, but the service to fix these problems was reasonably quick.

There are 3 pools in the complex, but the main pool area was closed unfortunately, but looked lovely, so we used the smaller pool attached to back of the bar area in the main hotel section, which was OK, but fairly windy and quite chilly.

The hotel food was pretty dreadful, but we only ate there one night preferring to venture down to the Marina where all the best restaurants are.

Overall a very enjoyable holiday - if you visit Cala D or you MUST visit the Kalypso bar, which does amazing cocktails....you even get a free hula necklace!

by K Lee

I (27) travelled with my girlfriend...

"I (27) travelled with my girlfriend (22) on an self catering Allocation On Arrival basis for my first ever holiday abroad and we were delighted with the resort of Cala D Or. Due to the time of year, the resort was quiet, as was the hotel itself.

Unfortunately, the apartment smelt like it had not been used (let alone cleaned) since the previous holiday season, and the general maintenance of the apartment was poor (light bulbs not replaced, hot water kept going off). The kitchen only contained a sink (no draining board) and two hobs (no grill or even a toaster), so cooking would have been a nightmare especially if you have a family.

We had booked a double room, but were provided with a twin room and then informed by the hotel staff (who were all very friendly and fluent in English) that they have no double rooms, unless you count two single beds pushed together as a double! However, I would blame Cosmos for this rather than blaming the Ariel. (Warning: If you push the two single beds together, they just slide away across the tiled floors!) We slept on the sofas in the living room for most of the holiday and these were quite comfortable, if not exactly what we had hoped for!

Entertainment and food was awful, but the pool area across the road from the reception area was lovely. And I saw no segregation of English people from Germans, as some have suggested on other websites. But then if you want to find English people and English food, stop whining about Majorca and go on holiday to Bognor...

Thanks to the people of Cala D Or for a lovely relaxing holiday!

by A Roscoe