Africar Mar

Good

Service: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Africar Mar

1 2 »
Best Holiday In Years!!!

"I cant say enough good things about this hotel,the staff are extremley friendly and would do anything for you,the rooms are great and the prices for both our stay and the drink etc in the hotel are second to none in the whole of Majorca! The recent addition of the new restaurant downstairs CHILLAX is a master stroke,the foods amazing and the prices are very competetive and i think most people would agree its the best looking bar in Can Picafort. The young man who runs the place is very welcoming and has taken the fun,friendly family atmosphere of the hotel and continued it here. We,l be going back next year and maybe again later in the year and i would recommend everyone else to do the same!"

• Holiday details: Jun 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Book early to avoid disapointment.
by Scottish family

EXTRA BREAK

"A last minute deal, did not expect too much. Pleased to say the hotel was fresh and clean, staff very pleasant and overall the standard was good, including the new Tapas bar in basement."

• Holiday details: May 2010, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Easy going, reasonably priced
by Rodney

Great holiday

"My husband and myself had a great holiday. The rooms were bigger than average, very clean and cleaning service and towel change ,excellent. The management and bar staff were faultless and very friendly and helpful. The pool was drained whilst we were there and every inch of it was scrubbed clean ( it didnt look dirty before this was done)Our only grumble was that the sunbeds were too close together but this was understandable as space is quite limited,I found it quite difficult to get on and off as my mobility is not what it used to be, it was ok if I got an end bed. We would most certainly visit again, our ages are 67 and 68.. It is in ideal spot close to the pedistrian precinct."

• Holiday details: Sep 2009, Self Catering, Booked Independently
by Firewoodman

You get what you pay for

"My husband and I booked a late deal and jetted off to majorca after having had a bad few months and needing cheering up, We went for a long weekend (fri to mon) and didnt really know what to expect as we only paid £360 for the both of us which i realise is very cheap indeed, anyway when we arrived we found the staff friendly and the ground floor very nice :-) however when we went upto our room we found it to be run down and looked like something out the 70's which to be fair is probebly when it was built, but we thought for the money it wasnt bad and it was clean which was the main thing :-)

On the 2nd night there was a lot of noise and a fight in the room next door and lots of shouting swearing ect... In the end it went on for so long i started shouting for them to shut up which amazingly they did :-) The next morning I asked the reception what had gone off.. they claimed to know nothing about it??? but i dont believe there was only me and my husband that heard all the fuss it was loud and went on over 2 hours!! but apart from that we enjoyed our stay...

I will say the pool is very clean but small... n its hard to get a sunbed as they are limited and people tend to put there towels on before they go out first thing so you cant get one then return late afternoon... im sure had this not have happened everyone would have got a chance of a sun bed as people could have used them at different times during the day...

Can pica fort is a nice clean place but is more geared up for the germans than the English and i found the germans to be very rude indeed!!! also make sure you check prices before ordering food thats not on the menu because i got charged 8euro for 1 slice of toast and a few beans (which was same price as full english) and the full english breakfast gave my hubby a poorly tummy!!!

Anyway i will shut up now... happy holidays ;-)

• Holiday details: Jul 2009, Room Only, Booked Independently
  • Advice: bad point: full of rude germans plus point: nice and clean
  • Activities: We stuck to the English bars, you must see amazing sand art!!!
by Jen&Matt

Spotlessly clean, wonderful staff

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the AfriciaMar in C'an Picafort for 6 nights at the beginning of October. We stayed in a studio apartment and, granted, the self-catering facilities weren't the best we'd ever seen but the room was spotless when we got there and the cleaner was never too far away if needed.

The staff were really lovely - all of them! It makes such a difference to your stay if the people are nice. The room was basic but absolutely adequate. Our last three holidays have been all inclusive in Tunisia and Egypt so we were nervous about our 'cheapie' self-catering holiday but we were more than happy with the room. We would definately stay there again but maybe room-only this time.

by Sharon-N-Phillip

i went to the africamar apartments in...

"i went to the africamar apartments in september 2008 and absoloutey loved it. the rooms were absoloutely fine,infact beter than we had expected and there was more than enough space to meet our needs. the bar staff were absoloutely amazing (nacho was very funny) and did everything in there power to make us feel welcome and have a good holiday, when me and my friend got stranded in alcudia one of the bar staff even went out of his way in his own time and came and picked us up! the only downpoint i saw was there was nothing to clean the room with, now i know that is the maids job but we took a pizza back one night and spilled it in the floor but there was no brush, mop or anything to use to clean it up but we went to reception the next morning and they had a cleaner at our room within minuits. over all the staff made our holiday a lot better that it would have been if it was a different set of employees, and i will be going back here next year."

by Jodie Snaith

What a noisy road!

"Just come back from Arica Mar at Ca'n Picafort, Mallorca, where we enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We had a double room, which gave us 2 bathrooms, even though there was only my husband and myself.I was not pleased with the cleanliness of the rooms, especially the bathrooms and the towels had seen better days.Our rooms were on the front facing the main road, which was VERY NOISY 24 HOURS A DAY. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and it was only 5 minutes from the beach and surrounded by really good restuarants at reasonable prices. I t would have been nice to have the sheets changed more than once a week, (but I found sheets in the wardrobe so I changed them myself!)As a cheap hotel it isn't bad and I would stay again, as I now know its'faults and will be prepared. (Ask for a room on the back away from the main road!) Lovely clean swimming pool and plenty of loungers to sit on around the area , loved the bar staff, who made you feel very welcome."

by CAROLINE39

good location nice place to stay

"well what can i say

this is a value for money hotel with nice friendly staff ,very close to the beach, clubs,shops and some of the best food around

the pool is clean and the rooms are a little basic but what do you expect for a low value hotel (i have to say that it dosent feel like a low value hotel )

id recomend this hotel for all the family as there is loads to do in and around the local area

we were on a lads holiday and i found time to write this as i use trip advisor all the time and feel that the bad reveiw of this hotel is unfounded

id come back again

by rml2714

I concur wholeheartedly with the...

"I concur wholeheartedly with the previous review. The road noise at night being the main problem with this hotel. End of August the temperature is cooling down and night time it dropped to about mid twenties. This meant it was bearable to shut the patio doors at night as long as the fan was directly pointing at us. It would have been impossible to sleep with the doors open, lorries, coaches and two stroke motorbikes thunder through all night, even ear plugs are no use.

For the premium week of the year our last minute options for a holiday were limited and other guests I spoke to also booked a few days before and this was the only hotel locally with vacancies and now I can see why. That said, we were made to feel welcome and the hotel was spotlessly clean.

One thing to consider though, as a novice booker, on the Low Cost website it clearly implies that rooms have a kitchenette but we booked 'room only' not realising that meant even though we had to walk through the kitchenette, we had not paid to use it. The strange set up meant two rooms shared one kitchen which is odd. Luckily, the apartment next to us was unoccupied and the maid switched on the fridge for us so at least we could keep snacks cool.

Don't expect a lot of evening entertainment at the Africamar. Despite the lovely staff trying their best with bingo and karaoke, the bar was deserted most evenings. The nightlife happens along the side road and the sea front. You are spoilt for choice with types of restaurant, bars and gift shops - nothing too expensive (but hardly cordon bleu)!

The beach is great and the pool although small was warm and had enough sunbeds that were cleaned every evening.

All in all I don't think we will return to this hotel, in future I will find somewhere with air conditioning in a quiter location. Can Picafort is nice but can be explored in a few days and most excursions are a long drive to the south of the island - but you get what you pay for and despite these few complaints it was an enjoyable holiday.

by J Gallagher

The Africamar Apartments are situated...

"The Africamar Apartments are situated in an excellent location, 5 mins walk from the beach and right next to shops and restaurants. However the price paid for this is a little bit of noise. The apartments face a main road and rooms at the front suffer from traffic noise, whilst rooms at the back get noise from people using the pedestrianised road to the beach which runs past the apartments. If possible I would advise getting a room at the back as this gets the breezes from the sea, which is helpful during the hot summer months as there is NO air-conditioning in the rooms, something I think should be addressed as soon as possible. We were on the top (4th) floor and felt OK about leaving the balcony doors open, but wouldn't have felt so safe on lower floors. You can hire fans at Reception.

Our 1-bed apartment had a slightly strange layout. Clearly it started life as two separate rooms which had then had a wall knocked through to convert it into an apartment. One of the original bathrooms had then been made into a kitchen, while the other kept as a bathroom. Consequently if our kids who were sleeping in the lounge on the sofa beds had needed the loo in the night, they then had to come into our bedroom to get to the bathroom. Not a huge problem for us, but for couples sharing, this would constitute a serious lack of privacy.

The rooms are spacious but the layout off-putting. There was no dining table which meant that when it was too hot to have breakfast on the balcony, we had to balance our plates on our knees, sitting on the bed. Kitchen was small and oppressive, with facilities barely adequate. Kettle and toaster worked but I'd echo the previous lady's concerns about where the plug point is situated. Just about enough crockery and cutlery but not over generous.

Decor and furniture all looked a bit tired and I really don't think deserved the three star status. Some of the wardrobe doors were locked. Rooms were basic, with the bare minimum furniture you'd expect. Lots of darkish wood everywhere which felt a bit heavy. Bathroom OK but not much privacy afforded by the sliding door. Toilet seat had two nasty marks where the enamel had worn off. Bathroom fittings looked cheap and plastic. Most importantly, the shower was absolutely appalling. Barely a trickle and when you turned it colder it lost pressure completely. Tried to run a bath for my kids and after 10 minutes it had barely an inch of water in it as the pressure was so low. We complained twice and they said they'd sent a plumber but because we were on the top floor the water pressure couldn't be increased. They did offer us another apartment but we declined, as we liked the position of the apartment we had.

The towels were pretty ragged round the edges, which you really wouldn't expect in a three-star establishment.

However, the issues around cleanliness that the previous reviewer mentioned, have very obviously been dealt with as the place was kept spotless. The cleaners came every other day and changed the towells and bedlinen as well as cleaning. This was probably a bit excessive actually, and maybe the towells are getting threadbare as they are washed so much!

The management were on site pretty much all of the time. A couple of times there was no-one at reception but we just asked the bar staff and then they fetched someone to help us. Bar staff and management were helpful and very pleasant. They gave our kids free lollies and crisps on several occasions, and one of the owners went round on two evenings, giving tokens for free drinks and ice-creams.

Guests were a mix of families and young couples/groups of friends, mainly British with a smattering of Spanish and French. The young people were slightly noisy coming back late at night on occasions, which was made worse by the fact that the rooms were so hot that we had to sleep with all the balcony doors open, therefore you could hear into all the rooms on your side of the building.

Not much entertainment provided, but during our two-week stay there was Bingo twice, karaoke and a pool tournament. There are wide-screen TVs in the bar area but most people just sit outside with a drink in the evenings.

Overall, I have to say I wouldn't go back to these apartments. Although the downstairs areas are very pleasant, this isn't reflected in the standard of the rooms, which I believe are more of a two-star standard than a three. Clearly the management are working hard to provide a good service, and I couldn't fault them for cleanliness. But the conversion of the hotel rooms to apartment layout just doesn't work and the rooms need refurbishing and upgrading urgently.

Ca'n Picafort is OK as a resort for an easy holiday in the sun. Nice beach. Full of Germans but everyone speaks English and all restaurant menus are translated into English. Food generally is OK rather than great, but I'd advise avoiding the English bars and restaurants as they tended to use really low-quality food and the service was often slow and surly. Don't expect much genuine Spanish culture here!

by  S R Kerber

Wee Dude

"We are a family of four and stayed in a two bedroom room that faced the back of the hotel. The reception staff and bar staff were very friendly and always willing to offer advice and were more than willing to assist. The hotel was one of the cheapest we had priced in the area and the overall opinion was that it was good value for money.

The positive aspect of the hotel is that it was close to the beach and all the restaurants and bars. The downside is that it was occasionally noisy at night which kept us awake - the young free and single gang returning from the disco.

The rooms were basic - clean and functional – a reflection on the price we paid. Although advertised as self catering don’t be fooled the kitchen was small with little in the way of cutlery and utensils. It was really only suitable for breakfast and snacks. The beer and snacks in the hotel were reasonably priced in comparison to the other facilities in the resort. The price for dinner usually came in at approx 50 to 60 Euros per night

If you are on a budget and are looking for a basic hotel which is near the beach, and all the bars and restaurants then this is for you.

by WeeDude

My partner and I (aged 44 and 36)...

"My partner and I (aged 44 and 36) have just returned from the Africamar Aparthotel after an 11 day stay there.

I had booked these these apartments with self catering facilities as I need to have my own fridge to store essential medication in and because they are advertised as 3 star.

I cannot express how disappointed and upset I am at the standards at this so called 3 star establishment.

The "studio" apartment consisted of a room barely big enough to be classed as a twin room and the self catering facilities were an open fronted wardrobe type. This housed two electric rings and a sink with a fridge underneath. The electrical point for using the kettle and toaster were located almost directly above the taps....!!! I am sure this cannot possibly meet any kind of health and safety regulation.

As for the toaster and kettle....... the first kettle that was in the room didn't work, the second kettle (provided only after reporting the first one broken twice and a third party intervening) worked precisely three times before that too stopped working. The phone in the room also didn't work properly as the person ringing you couldn't hear you. This was also only replaced afer 2 reports and a third party intervening and the hotel manager checking it to see if I was lying about it..... why would I ??!!

The toaster that had to be plugged in above the taps (this was the only point available and was for both the kettle and toaster) was a complete fire hazard. The plastic around the top where you put the bread in was all melted. On attempting to use it I discovered why. It "toasted" one slice of bread to black/burnt and billowing out smoke in about 20 seconds whilst the other slice was only lightly toasted on one side.....!!! I gave up using it after this as our room was filled with smoke and the smell of burnt toast.

The fridge door was rusting; the two single beds (I had requested a double) were lumpy and uncomfortable; the towels (changed twice whilst we were there) were threadbare and the second set had holes in them; the sheets were only changed once during the whole stay(11 days); the "studio" was not cleaned once, I resorted to cleaning it with Dettol wipes; there was no table either in the "studio" or on the balcony; no proper door on bathroom just a sliding door type of thing;bath was rusting; nasty looking stain behind toilet the whole time we were there; gap between bath and sink unit dirty and full of other peoples hair; no hot water in "kitchenette" sink to wash up with; tiny skinny wardrobe not big enough for 2 people - rest of wardrobe housed the plumbing for the bathroom; portable tv filthy dirty and didn't work; bathroom and whole apartment very poorly ventilated; no cups or mugs provided;......

I cannot imagine how this aparthotel has got a 3 star rating as it is not really above the standards you would expect in a youth hostel - a poor one at that...!!!

The management were never at reception to report any of these problems - they advertise as 24 hour reception. I noted that one website advertises parking garage/spaces.... there is no garage or parking spaces, you have to take your chances on the road.

The reception area is peppered with home printed signs "advising" you that only hotel guests allowed in rooms, fans available for hire (it must be unbearable in height of summer), tv remote control available for hire (!!!), push button for lift once only, etc etc..... it was like being transported back 30 years to a time when the concept of customer care and standards did not exist. Well to be honest they don't at the Africamar.

I had read many reviews of the Africamar before booking it but felt that on balance it would be basic but ok. IT IS NOT......Do not be fooled into thinking that this place will be ok. It really needs looking at again as far as the star rating is concerned and for their cleanliness standards.On a more serious note the health and safety aspects at this place really need reviewing. If I had turned my back on the toaster the one time I used it, it would have gone up in smoke....!! I have reported all of this to the company I booked with and suggested they schedule an inspection.

Do yourself a favour stay elsewhere........ Can Picafort itself is fine. Clean beach that gently shelves into Bay of Alcudia with plentiful beds and parasols to hire at a reasonable price. Plenty of bars and restaurants (though don't expect gourmet food). I would highly recommend Barracuda Bar on Ave Josep Trias - very good bar run by a Spanish/German couple Toby & Isobel with great bar staff Max and Andreas. All speak German,Spanish and English and are helpful and friendly. They play great music there too. Also a pizza/pasta restaurant called Zodiac that is off of Ave Josep Trias down the bottom end. Good food and service and helpful, friendly waiter Lucas.

Tourists predominantly German though English well enough catered for.....

I would probably return to C'an Picafort but NEVER EVER to Africamar...... I am not exagerating. It is dirty, grubby, beyond tired and all of the companies that use it need to consider whether booking people in there is safe........

by H P Anderson

1 2 »

Map for Africar Mar Closest airport: Palma de Mallorca (PMI) 26.7 miles

Africar Mar photos (1 traveller photos)
Top traveller tips for Africar Mar
  • by Firewoodman

" We enjoyed the chinese restaurant close by and walking on the front with all the bars and shops. "