Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship

, Thomson Cruises
Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship
Check the latest prices for this cruise

1 2 314 »
great first time crusie

"Just returned from our first cruise on board Thomson Majesty - excellent service from staff especially Angel at the Piazza San Marco - always a warm smiling welcome and our cabin stewards Marianna and Jenya."

by Bill J

Enjoyable cruise

"After reading negative reviews about this ship we were pleasantly surprised to find how clean our room was, beautiful white towels and bed linen, changed daily. Hot food was available all day. Helpful, friendly staff and a couple of excellent shows helped make this an enjoyable cruise. We booked the Lanzarote buggy trip and had a great time.The cable cars in Madeira are a short enjoyable walk with plenty of seats along the way. A return trip cost 15 euros each. In Tenerife and Fuerteventura we easily found the red buses where a 20 euro ticket lets you jump on and off all day along a selected route. We found it cheaper not to buy the drinks package. An on board duty free offer was two liters of named spirits for £20.A pint of lager cost £3.70 and cocktail of the day cost £3.99.There were no restrictions on bringing alcohol back from shore.Some parts of the ship would benefit from a refurbish,the pool wasn't heated and some of the entertainment was lacking but we didn't let that spoil our holiday."

by Wendy W

Good Time

"We have had two cruises previously on the P&O Azure which is a large ship with lots of glamor. I will start with the negatives on this cruise. We waited in a cue for an hour to get onto the ship and the staff who were processing customers were a little slow. When we arrived to our cabin which was on floor four (4023) we were shocked at the size of the cabin as it was small, our bags however were in our room within 10 minuets of us arriving. The ship is dated and could do with a refurbish. However we stayed on the ship for two weeks, the ship is clean, the entertainment is fantastic however the jubilee lounge where the shows are held is small and has several pillars that block your view. Our room was clean and tidy and was kept that way for the whole two weeks. The bar staff are lovely and always on hand. The bistro is worth a try and worth paying that bit extra. I have recently been diagnosed with Celiac disease and as such i have to avoid wheat. Leroy Brown who is the Maitre D and his assistant Abdul were excellent. I was given my menu a day in advance and my meals were prepared for me and they were all excellent. Leroy and Abdul are a credit to Thomson, they really ensured that i didn't miss out on meals. We had our meals at 6:30 in the Four Seasons restaurant which is smaller that the seven seas, the staff in the restaurant couldn't do enough. I once went to the buffet restaurant and chose the fish, one of the chefs informed me that i couldn't have that as it was coated in flour. I have no idea how he knew as this was the first time that we had a meal in the buffet. Yes this is not a glamorous ship however don't let the negative reviews put you off. We enjoyed the cruise, the staff, cleaners, waiters, restaurant staff and the entertainers all found time to have a chat. All in all we had a good time."

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: The shows start at 8:30 and 10:30 however i would advise that you get in early
by Aspire

Poor Quality From Thomson

"So pleased to be back home now after a week long ordeal on this ship!

Having cruised with Thomson before on the Celebration and really enjoyed the full experience, we were looking forward to our trip around the Canaries on the Majesty; What a disappointment!

First of all obviously not Thomsons fault, but the weather was not great, (but not severe), which contributed to our disappointment, but this also puts Thomson entertainment and other services to the test as people now have to rely on them. They failed.

I totally agree with most of the negative comments below, with the exception of the food. Okay, there were a couple of times when it was a bit difficult for us to find something we liked from the big choice of fish or vegetarian dishes, but mostly we always managed something. The quality of which was decent to good.

As I said above with the poor weather, the need to rely on ships services and entertainment is put to the test. The entertainment was dire, and other services which may be available are at highly inflated prices, as are their shore excursion prices. It is with every opportunity that they can find to enclose you on the ship so that you are spending at the bar, the shops, casino, etc. Even the all inclusive drinks package has supplementary costs against most drinks, (not that we used it).

Previous reports regarding the poor stability of the ship are totally accurate, there were lots of people that we spoke to who were suffering from seasickness. People, including crew and staff, were staggering all over the place all of the time when at sea, (most not due to drink I will add). With this in mind the travel time between ports obviously greater than necessary, e.g. We left Lanzarote at 6PM, to then spend the next 11 hours or so drifting and being rolled about, before traveling 38 knots miles to Fuertaventura, (a 2 hour journey at best). This is just one example of being unnecessarily imprisoned on the ship, obviously to increase Thomsons onboard profits.

On one of our 'days at sea', the open decks were closed (for safety reasons, allegedly), this results in everybody being confined to bar areas or shops etc, (more turn over to Thomson). Only deck ten was open for some 'fresh air', but alas the smokers put paid to that too.

We were also unlucky' enough to be pestered by an over attentive cabin maid, who was clearly trying too hard to gain tips and good reviews. She would knock on the door to tell us to put out the Do Not Disturb sign, then she would knock on the door anyway even when it was out (looking for us to complete a questionnaire about how good she was!). Irritating at best.

I could say more, but in general a lot of small things that should have been better contributed to a disappointing trip that will not put us off future cruises, but definitely not on Thomson Majesty. I will shop around now with other cruise companies as a result.

Finally, please don't dismiss or underestimate the previous comments about the black smoke that is constantly emitted from the funnels of this ship. It can be seen for miles and continues all day and night. I am amazed that Thomson have the cheek to profess to having good environmental credentials, also that port officials allow it.

Spend your hard earned money wisely elsewhere, would be me advice to anyone considering a cruise on this ship.

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Don't do it. Go elsewhere.
by AndyAndyB

nothing regal about the Majesty!!!!!!

"Having had a fab cruise on Thomson Celebration we booked another cruise on the Majesty. Big mistake!!!! No comparison. We were disappointed with the food, service ,entertainment and general ethos of the ship. We had an outer cabin "plus" and it was fine apart from the old fraying grey towels! I would never use such towels at home and find it insulting to be given them on holiday. The ship blows out thick black smoke from its funnel and this makes parts of the upper deck filthy. Also not environmentally very friendly Thomson !!!!Top tip? Do not go on this ship. We managed to have a lovely holiday as we were with friends but it would have been so much nicer on a better ship."

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Book a different ship !
by Jane P

Menu driven repetative Food

"We have just returned from a two week cruise of the Canaries on the Thompson Majesty. Having cruised on the Thompson Dream twice last year we thought we would like a change. Our first impressions were very favorable the ship has been recently refurbished and looked very smart.

Our cabin was a little smaller than we were used to, we would be sure to get an outside plus cabin if we went again.

The weather whilst we were on board was not up to our expectations as cold winds restricted sitting outside on our days at sea. Not the fault of Thompson.

The promenade areas of the ship were mainly limited to deck seven due to the weather. As the ship lacks the fairly large stern decks that the Dream has.

The entertainment team were very good although the Jubilee Lounge tends to fill up quite early and it is often difficult to get a seat.

There were two entertainment bands on board Red Syndicate who were quite good and Top Men they were very good much, much better than the normal Thompson Entertainment Standard.

One evening the two Bands gave a jam session in the Jubliee Lounge, at the start of this session the entire audience was buzzing as they were excellent. Then the entertainment team completely ruined the session by standing up and encouraging the audience up on stage Thoroughly blocking the view of the two bands and ruining the show which was a complete shame. Was this a bit of jealousy on their part?

The standard of the food on board was not up to the standard of the Thompson Dream it was menu driven and repeated entirely on the second week. Hot plates but cold food.

The Bar staff, Waiters and Housekeeping staff were all excellent and friendly and made the holiday much better.

by B Kohler

Butlins, with a ryanair business model

"The waiting and cleaning staff do an excellent job. Everything else reminded me of 1980's Butlins with a 21st century business model. The food is abysmal, akin to army cooking. The entertainment is of a standard that only children or the lobotomized could possibly enjoy. The boats funnel SPEWS black smoke, clearly everything is powered by crude diesel. They attempt to sell to you at every opportunity, including piped announcements into your cabin of the latest price slashes to the crap they haven't managed to sell previously. Distances to the town center are always exaggerated, in order to sell shuttle bus tickets. The Thomson majesty clearly pays the least port fees and end up with the least accessible docks. Don't even think about going to deck 10. Deck 10 IS Butlins, gaudy entertainment, bingo, people going red and getting drunk at the same time. The library shelves are locked and only opened 1 hour a day, presumably because there is no margin to be made from books people left on ship after they left. The stops in Fuerteventura and Lanzarote are a waste of time unless you can organize an excursion, the port towns are miserable, verging or dangerous. If dressing up in cheap evening attire whilst eating army style fayre and drinking cooking quality alcohol amongst tattooed old people is your thing, you'll love it. If you are the sort of person who doesn't understand how a lift works, you'll love it."

• Holiday details: Mar 2015, Booked Independently
  • Advice: As much time off the ship as possible
by Terry G

never never agaain

"I would not recommend this ship to anyone we where on deck 7 we paid £49 to reserve our cabin another £15 for the safe every thing about this ship is bad take your hard earned money and spend it with another company Thomson don't care about their customers if they did they would not expect you to travel on this ship."

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: don't go in the firstplace
by mylittlecat

Disgusting, Dirty, Simply Dreadful

"We booked a cruise on Thomson Majesty over the New Year period, biggest mistake of our life!

There is a lot to mention so I'll try to list it....

~ We were grounded on the flight out because check in had separated a mother & child so we were not able to fly until someone gave up their seats for them

~ On arrival at the port the rep jumped on board to say there had been a 'bug' on board and to use the hand gel before boarding, the 'bug' we later found out to be Norovirus and was still very much alive and taking people down!

~ Our cabin was disgusting, carpet stained, bedding threadbare and ripped, towels grey and the shower black with mold, the smell coming out of it was indescribable and we couldn't get rid of it no matter what we sprayed

~ Hygiene was very poor, often no hand gel in or outside the toilets, no soap in the toilets many times and bar staff wiping table after table with the same dirty cloth, no sanitizing spray what so ever, they would also use the same cloth to wipe handrails as they walked past them!

~ Because of Norovirus the self service option had been removed resulting in huge queues trying to get served below standard often cold food in the feeding stations on the top deck, we went hungry that evening as we couldn't face the queues or the food when one of our party did get something!

~ The two restaurants were vastly understaffed and the food being served (when you could get served) was well below standard and again often cold. we had the pleasure of a thick black curly hair in one of our meals, needless to say we went hungry that night also and didn't use that restaurant again

~ The other restaurant wasn't much better, breakfast was laughable, if you managed to catch the eye of the man serving tea he didn't have the milk, by the time you got milk the tea was cold, you get cereal but again no milk and on it went like that for the whole week, beyond ridiculous

~ We ate off the boat as much as possible and brought snacks back with us because the food was so bad and the hygiene so poor

How Thomson have the nerves to call this a cruise is beyond me, we paid a lot of money for that week and frankly it isn't acceptable. I have raised two complaints with Thomson who have just swept it under the carpet saying they are happy it reaches their standards, that speaks volumes as far as I'm concerned because I wouldn't put animals on that boat let alone humans.

I have been blocked from both Facebook and Twitter for simply speaking of my experience, they don't like the truth and remove any negative comments, not the right way to deal with unhappy customers.

Face up to your responsibilities Thomson and do the right thing, refund our hard earned money, except things are not right and sort it out for any future passengers although I would never recommend this to anyone.

• Holiday details: Dec 2014, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Just do do it, book with a company that cares because Thomson don't!
by SHill7

A truly excellent cruise liner with some first class extras!

"I have just returned from a cruise around the Canaries,Morocco and Madeira and can not rate this company high enough! This has been one of the best cruises I and my family and friends have enjoyed and it is all down to the staff, the entertainment and the food! Yes the ship is fairly small in comparison to other cruise liners, yes, there are areas like the suites/staterooms that need modernizing, but overall this ship and its staff deliver a first class service that i believe is better than I have seen on RCI. I and my family are serial cruisers and have sailed with Cunard, Seven Seas, Princess and RCI…we are in fact diamond plus members with RCi. Therefore, after having read all the negative reviews after booking, I was worried to say the least. What I found was in some areas a more competent and outstanding service and provision than on some other ships. But for the purpose of this critique I shall compare with RCI. The buffet area, pizza San Marco was simply superb and in my opinion, with tastier ,fresher and expertly cooked food .Real china crockery was available to us (not plastic like in Windjammer RCI) Trays of bites were freely offered around the bars and theater/entertainment areas which was a first for me! The tours were executed fabulously and well worth the money. The drinks were good value and less expensive than on other ships. The spa was reasonably priced. The whole trip including flights with Thomson airlines and transfers ran as smoothly as a Rolex watch and the selection offered for afternoon tea was as good as anything I had on Cunard. The entertainment was first class and a melee of comedians,song and dance,West End productions were delivered with spectacular delivery and polish. I can not find any fault with this company or this ship except that they desperately need to refurbish the suite ,we were in 903 and also need to create a kid section by pool deck…apart from this, 10 out of 10 and we will book again."

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Go with an open mind,please do ignore many of the negative reviews…I smell a rat with many of them.
  • Good For: Beach, City Breaks
by globalgibgirl

Canarian Flavours

"Having never been on a cruise before I would highly recommend going on Thomson Majesty. I have just come back from a 7 day cruise (Canarian Flavours) and wish I had booked for 2 weeks instead of 1. From start to finish every aspect of the cruise was fantastic. Fight times 08.35 from Manchester, transfer to the Ship in less than an hour. My case was delivered to my cabin within 20 minutes of setting foot on board. The housekeeping staff (Bernard and Tamara) were very friendly and helpful, they keep the cabin clean and tidy, chocolates on the pillow at night, bed made in the morning, clean towels when requested. Food was of a high quality, yes it could have been a bit hotter but still when such a high volume f quality food is being prepared - no complaints, restaurants clean (Piazza San Marco and Café Royale)with plenty of visible sanitizer outside. Bar staff very friendly (Galyna) and took time out of their busy shifts to stop and chat with the guests and make them feel welcome. Plenty of high quality entertainment throughout the week including Moulin Rouge, a tribute to Michael Jackson, West End Sing a long and much more, top class comedian (Tank Sherman) with a clean high humored act. Even on sea day when things had to change due to inclement weather, this was done swiftly and I believe enjoyed by everyone who took part on the various activities. Overall I had a fantastic week on board Thomson Majesty and would not hesitate to not only book another cruise on board her but to recommend her to friends and family. Overall 10/10 rating for me."

by Peter M

Please take no notice of the moaning people that will always find fault with everything

"The Thomson Majesty is a fantastic experience for first time cruisers.

The crew and staff cannot humanly do any more for you they always have a greeting and a smile please do not believe the moaners on this thread.

The entertainment is mind blowing with the entertainment team doing two stunning shows a night.

The food is always hot and varied but be warned the plates are hot.

There are many different bars suitable to all ages even a disco if you can move after dinner.

The ports of call are a good choice and some of the scenery was mind blowing.

If as me you don't go on holiday to be in uniform dressing up is not essential ladies just some nice dresses and gents trousers and a casual shirt will do.

The ship is spotless for a vessel of this age and housekeeping will clean your cabin twice a day.

I cannot emphasize enough how much the crew and staff work so hard to make our holidays a great one and how unfair it is that people who want to pay very little but expect a 7 star service so please book this ship and as i did just enjoy the majesty like we did.

If you want a more personal opinion please email me.

• Holiday details: Jan 2015
  • Advice: An outside plus cabin on any deck is preferable
by Dave E

1 2 314 »

Average rating

Good

Room: 6.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Food: 7.5/10

Need a hotel before or after your Thomson Majesty cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Top traveller tips for Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship
  • by Linbob

" Try to dine around 7.30pm then you wont have to wait on a table. "

• by Andy Mills

" If you like a drink, buy the drinks package. You will save a fortune "

• by Amanda1

" eat in self service restaurant food was better there "

• by Jordane Keddie

" Get round everything on the ship. If you are not a big walker, take advantage of all the things happening on the ship. Check the Cruise News for times and places of fun activities! "

• by Terry Kershaw

" Plan to eat before 7.30 if you want to miss the que at the 7 Seas restaurant. "

• by EddieC

" get into dining room before 7 45 and get to theatre after dinner to get a seat "

• by Mull

" Eat in the Four Seasons and sunbathe on Deck 9 as Deck 10 gets too busy. "

• by d kilbee

" Get on level 6 or above cabin mid ships to keep engine noise levels to minimum. "

Do you own Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship? Share your insight.