Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship

, Thomson Cruises
Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship
Check the latest prices for this cruise

1 2 313 »
A truly excellent cruise liner with some first class extras!

"I have just returned from a cruise around the Canaries,Morocco and Madeira and can not rate this company high enough! This has been one of the best cruises I and my family and friends have enjoyed and it is all down to the staff, the entertainment and the food! Yes the ship is fairly small in comparison to other cruise liners, yes, there are areas like the suites/staterooms that need modernizing, but overall this ship and its staff deliver a first class service that i believe is better than I have seen on RCI. I and my family are serial cruisers and have sailed with Cunard, Seven Seas, Princess and RCI…we are in fact diamond plus members with RCi. Therefore, after having read all the negative reviews after booking, I was worried to say the least. What I found was in some areas a more competent and outstanding service and provision than on some other ships. But for the purpose of this critique I shall compare with RCI. The buffet area, pizza San Marco was simply superb and in my opinion, with tastier ,fresher and expertly cooked food .Real china crockery was available to us (not plastic like in Windjammer RCI) Trays of bites were freely offered around the bars and theater/entertainment areas which was a first for me! The tours were executed fabulously and well worth the money. The drinks were good value and less expensive than on other ships. The spa was reasonably priced. The whole trip including flights with Thomson airlines and transfers ran as smoothly as a Rolex watch and the selection offered for afternoon tea was as good as anything I had on Cunard. The entertainment was first class and a melee of comedians,song and dance,West End productions were delivered with spectacular delivery and polish. I can not find any fault with this company or this ship except that they desperately need to refurbish the suite ,we were in 903 and also need to create a kid section by pool deck…apart from this, 10 out of 10 and we will book again."

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Go with an open mind,please do ignore many of the negative reviews…I smell a rat with many of them.
  • Good For: Beach, City Breaks
by globalgibgirl

Canarian Flavours

"Having never been on a cruise before I would highly recommend going on Thomson Majesty. I have just come back from a 7 day cruise (Canarian Flavours) and wish I had booked for 2 weeks instead of 1. From start to finish every aspect of the cruise was fantastic. Fight times 08.35 from Manchester, transfer to the Ship in less than an hour. My case was delivered to my cabin within 20 minutes of setting foot on board. The housekeeping staff (Bernard and Tamara) were very friendly and helpful, they keep the cabin clean and tidy, chocolates on the pillow at night, bed made in the morning, clean towels when requested. Food was of a high quality, yes it could have been a bit hotter but still when such a high volume f quality food is being prepared - no complaints, restaurants clean (Piazza San Marco and Café Royale)with plenty of visible sanitizer outside. Bar staff very friendly (Galyna) and took time out of their busy shifts to stop and chat with the guests and make them feel welcome. Plenty of high quality entertainment throughout the week including Moulin Rouge, a tribute to Michael Jackson, West End Sing a long and much more, top class comedian (Tank Sherman) with a clean high humored act. Even on sea day when things had to change due to inclement weather, this was done swiftly and I believe enjoyed by everyone who took part on the various activities. Overall I had a fantastic week on board Thomson Majesty and would not hesitate to not only book another cruise on board her but to recommend her to friends and family. Overall 10/10 rating for me."

• Holiday details: Feb 2015, booked with Thomson
by Peter M

Please take no notice of the moaning people that will always find fault with everything

"The Thomson Majesty is a fantastic experience for first time cruisers.

The crew and staff cannot humanly do any more for you they always have a greeting and a smile please do not believe the moaners on this thread.

The entertainment is mind blowing with the entertainment team doing two stunning shows a night.

The food is always hot and varied but be warned the plates are hot.

There are many different bars suitable to all ages even a disco if you can move after dinner.

The ports of call are a good choice and some of the scenery was mind blowing.

If as me you don't go on holiday to be in uniform dressing up is not essential ladies just some nice dresses and gents trousers and a casual shirt will do.

The ship is spotless for a vessel of this age and housekeeping will clean your cabin twice a day.

I cannot emphasize enough how much the crew and staff work so hard to make our holidays a great one and how unfair it is that people who want to pay very little but expect a 7 star service so please book this ship and as i did just enjoy the majesty like we did.

If you want a more personal opinion please email me.

• Holiday details: Jan 2015
  • Advice: An outside plus cabin on any deck is preferable
by Dave E

Butlins at sea

"First and last time on Thomson a Majesty. Nothing really nice to say about it except the bar staff were extremely pleasant. The staff in self service restaurant (the piggery) were downright rude. Food in the waiter service restaurant were badly trained if at all.the food was the worse ever I have experienced on a ship. Better food available on a ferry. To charge an extra £19.99 per person in the Bistro for food that should be served as a matter of course outrageous. The top deck with the swimming pools were full of smokers and fouled mouth adults. So many children in term time too. Don't think they left the boat until disembarkation. Thomson charge for everything that on other cruises I have been on are included ie safe,water,WiFi,shuttle buses into nearest town NO EXTRA charge. So glad I didn't pay much as others did as even at a small cost it was a rip off. Don't waste your money. So many better companies out there. As for the ship its a rickety,dirty excuse for one."

• Advice: Don't go
by Jojo47

Worst Cruise Experience Ever

"Having cruised with Thomson before we decided to try the Majesty. The original cabin we were presented with was the dirtiest and smallest I've ever seen. We eventually paid to be upgraded to a larger, cleaner cabin after joining the endless clue of disgruntled passengers at Reception. The safety drill was a shambles with many staff not knowing what their role was and allowing passengers to use the lifts on the way down to muster. Only once were we scanned when re-boarding the ship - at no time were our bags scanned!! Anything could have been brought on board which is very worrying considering the current situation across the world. On our return we sent our concerns to Thomson who have said there is no record of us contacting staff on board so therefore there is nothing they can do. My advice is if you do have concerns ensure that staff log your complaints. Never again Thomson!! The Majesty is a Costa Concordia in the making!!!"

• Holiday details: Dec 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Try another ship!!
by Caroline H

"Just arrived back from a brilliant cruise on the Thomson Majesty. Reading some of the reviews makes you afraid of even contemplating booking a cruise on this ship. The food was very good, the ship was clean, the staff were great, our cabin was clean well equipped with all amenities including a fridge. We had an inside plus on deck 3, with plenty of wardrobe space and it was a very spacious cabin. We're in our seventies and are pretty agile for our age and don't expect staff or crew to run around seeing to our needs as some people expect them to do. Didn't have any problems at the airport as we're perfectly capable of finding our way around without any problems. Some of the cabins are very small with not a lot of room and without a fridge, but you should do your homework before you book and make sure you get what you want and not moan about it afterwards. We got a great deal at an unbelievable price, so very happy. The public areas on the ship were well maintained and clean and the entertainment was just great. We're a well traveled couple and have been on numerous cruises to various places and on different cruise lines, and the Majesty, not being the top end of cruise ships, was perfectly acceptable and we would definitely cruise on this ship again."

by Maria24

Thompson majesty or tradesty

"Just come back of a new year cruise on the Thompson majesty thought we might treat our selves to a bit of a treat.....

Well what we got was well under par for Thompson that's for sure!! .we were treated by a member of staff who had only been aboard 1 day .so it took us all a while to find our room .bit of a walk about ..most of the staff were struggling it was plan to see .room was ok but needed. More pillows asked but was told none available. We had just missed the Nora virus thank god!! But this meant restraints and pools closed were plus buffie resttraint was service only by staff that were just chucking it on yer plate.staff clearly not trained in the service of food.on the upside entertainment was good drinks served by non English talking waiters so bit of lottery on the drinks front.. Can I ask were have all your lovely can't do enough for you staff gone .it almost felt like I was in the way ... Won't be going back to this ship.. And anybody reading this check out the reviews I'm not alone..... PS people have to learn but not at my expense.

• Advice: Eat out
by Jaci Colin

Great from start to finish!!

"I find it hard to believe some of the recent reviews as we have just returned (16th Jan) from the Canaries Flavours cruise and had a superb time. The food, staff, and cleanliness were first class. We have traveled on RCI, P&O and Celebrity Cruises amongst others and are fully aware that you would not expect the same type of facilities and comfort on the Majesty, however the price reflects this. I would like to particularly praise the entertainment team, in particular Lewis, Adam, Jack and Dave who were brilliant and really helped with the overall enjoyment of the trip. Also, the Red Syndicate Band, who play in the Royal Fireworks lounge are top notch. There is just one negative and that is the attitude of the Spa staff, in particular the young lad on the counter who, whilst talking to my wife, took a call on his mobile phone and walked off - meaning that they lost business. We never had to wait for a drink, could always find a table at dinner and would thoroughly recommend the cruise ship. Finally, for those who want to know what an inside cabin is like, well we had one on deck 3 and whilst being small, this was fine for a week. Been back now for just 2 days, but wish we were still there!!"

• Holiday details: Jan 2015, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Take some warm clothing as it can get a bit chilly whilst on the move, especially on the sea day
by GoonerMJ

Thomson majesty cruise August 2014

"Been on Thomson cruise ships before and this has got to be the worst. Food absolutely appalling breakfast overcooked eggs scrambled egg black and all lukewarm. Self service restaurant is awful small cramped and old.had dinner in a large cart restaurant on captains night steak was tough and chewy it was like it had been boiled sent it back no better. Staff in there were unhelpful and kept you waiting walked in the end had enough. Cabin was ok had an outside cabin quite big and kept clean. Overall ship is old and tired. Entertainment not that great nothing for teenagers they good f2f o with a room to hang out in and make Fri we miss. Overall worse holiday I ever had and glad I only BOOKED a we week couldn't wait to get off! Would never book a Thomson cruise again. All the reviews are the same not just mine."

by Tracy S

Thompson majesty

"Worst cruise of my life 26 Dec around Canary Islands staff miserable food awful cold and unappetizing little choice liver! Ugh ! Cabin very small I could go on hope to cancel the cruise in May and book with another company just terrible what has gone wrong? 5star price 2star value."

• Holiday details: Dec 2014
  • Advice: Better food and hot pleasant staff no Noro Virus
by Frances.cobbold

bad room worse hotel

"Booked the majesty this was our 6th cruise with thomsons, we upgraded our cabins mattress was 6 inch to short for the single bed and the fridge door had to be lifted to close it.we had the drinks package we found people who didn't have the package were getting served before we were, The ports of call were container ports. when we got home, we complained to Thomsons and were told we were picky people, we have never complained before THE hotel well that was something else it was an h10 called the grand Tinerfe the room we were given the air con was broken so i complained a person came to the room and told us there was nothing he could do, he gave us an extra card to put in the electric to keep the air con on, complained to rep moved us room,told us it was the only one left in hotel, we took it.balcony glass was broke and was held together with sticky tape, balcony over looked the staff car park the bins were emptied daily staff came out under our balcony to have a smoke wagons backed under our balcony to load and unload,ie food,towels,bedding even jobbers backed there too. facing our balcony was a large air con unit,to the size of a 16 ton lorry,start stop start stop.I have photo's but the person at Thomsons say we have different expectations thanks once again THOMSON'S FOR FOBBING ME OFF"

• Holiday details: Nov 2014, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH COMPLAIN AND LOG IT
by Alfred S

not good

"We were so disappointed in our cruise with Thomson at Christmas 2014 around the Canary Islands. We have cruised many times with Thomsons, last Christmas was great on the Celebration, but this year was a shambles. We were on the Majesty a year last February when 5 crew members were killed, (so we know the ship) as you can imagine this was very upsetting for us at the time. However I can only sing the praises of Thomson in dealing with us as passengers then. Our evacuation of the ship was done with military procedure, representatives from our home area were flown over to the ship to aid us to understand what was to happen. This was a very thoughtful endeavor to reassure the passengers. This is Thomsons at its best and the one we know and love.

Unfortunately this year it felt as if someone had lifted the ship up, shook it, dropped it, and it all fell back wrong. There was so many things we were not happy with we do not know where to start.

We will try to list what was not right about this cruise???

* our flight.. not that impressed with Thomson planes and the new way of having to print off our own boarding passes. This leads to having to pay for seat that suit us.

* we landed in Gran Canaria at 5pm did not leave the airport until 7pm ( we had left home at 8am)

when we got on board no one seemed to know where our 'boat drill' was to be held, we were sent every where only to be told not here. this was not good after a long delay at the airport of 2 hours waiting for our luggage to be recovered ( Thomson plane)

* £15 per week for the safe, not good

*then a bit of food on deck 10 not good, too tiered to complain.

*the cabins were small and tired, the towels were old grey and threadbare

* weather bad to start ( not Thomsons fault) got better latter in the week.

* there were plenty of sunbeds available if you were prepared to help yourself and find a sunny spot on deck. usually the sunbeds are waiting for you but on the Majesty they are stacked high and not easy to get at, and we are 68 and 66 years old and arthritic.

* there was no shuttle service available and for somewhere like Funchal its a long walk into the center and we both suffer from arthritis.

* because the facilities are old, the cleanliness was hard to maintain There was a bout of Norovirus on board a lot went down with it. The public toilets were old with broken waste pipes. There was no sanitizer available either inside or outside the toilets different to other ships we have been on.

* the food was poor not much choice and not hot, Christmas Gala Dinner was not much better did not feel special.

*the cabins were small and tired. The towels were grey and grubby. and the room smelled odd.

* the cruise was a total waste of money, and being Christmas it was not cheap.

*the staff lacked interest, and on occasions, quite rude. We asked the head waiter, in one of the restaurants one night, if we could have a table for two, we thought he was quite rude telling us, why don't we sit with others and make friends. We have family and friends a plenty at home, this particular night, we just wanted some peace and quiet with some quality time together. How dare he dictate to us what we should do and make us think we were being awkward.

* there did not seem to be any organization or management. One hand does not know what the other one is doing half the time.

* we were in cabin 3045 and the cabin staff were very good considering what they had to work with, our dog has better towels, but the staff kept changing them.

* entertainment was average. However the MOULIN ROUGE was very good but the Beatles were terrible. The comedian was good but we are elderly not suitable for the younger passengers.

* I could go on with this list, but the Majesty has had enough of my time. best thing to do with this ship is to scrap it.

* we are suppose to go on a Thomson cruise again to the Caribbean in April 2015, and however we have only put a small deposit down so far, and before we part with more money, we require a satisfactory answer to this complaint.

Yours Truly Mr & Mrs I Watkin

Food: 8/10
Value: 7.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10
Location: 8.5/10

Need a hotel before or after your Thomson Majesty cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Top traveller tips for Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship
  • by Linbob

" Try to dine around 7.30pm then you wont have to wait on a table. "

• by Andy Mills

" If you like a drink, buy the drinks package. You will save a fortune "

• by Amanda1

" eat in self service restaurant food was better there "

• by Jordane Keddie

" Get round everything on the ship. If you are not a big walker, take advantage of all the things happening on the ship. Check the Cruise News for times and places of fun activities! "

• by Terry Kershaw

" Plan to eat before 7.30 if you want to miss the que at the 7 Seas restaurant. "

• by EddieC

" get into dining room before 7 45 and get to theatre after dinner to get a seat "

• by Mull

" Eat in the Four Seasons and sunbathe on Deck 9 as Deck 10 gets too busy. "

• by d kilbee

" Get on level 6 or above cabin mid ships to keep engine noise levels to minimum. "

Do you own Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Thomson Majesty Cruise Ship? Share your insight.