Solway Holiday Village

Room: 6.5/10
Value: 6.5/10
Cleanliness: 6.5/10

1 2 »
cheaper goingto blackpool with blackpool promotions.

"we went to Solway Holiday Village for 12 years in a row as we got it for a reasonable price as we paid a deposit for the following year as the sign said pay £5 deposit for next year holiday at this years price then last year they still had a sign up. but i was told they cant give us the price as it was to low as we were loyal every year. the staff were nice entertainment was good when it was peak time, the gym has not opened in 4 year as the polish male maintenance worker (shammy) has key to the gym for his own personal use. the golf coarse was a shambles. the prices in the nags head was very expensive for drink & food as the years went on from the first time we went to Siloth it was good but over the years they were big changes as the kids did not want to go there as they were saying they were bored. Sam Hagan was the owner who stayed some times knows how run down the place is but nether seem to bother as he had his staff petrified when he turned up. as they charge you meter money in the lodges about £5.00 a day approx. people who owned there caravan struggled to sell them as you are charged water rates that you are not told about even if you went for I week out the year to some one who goes 10 month out the year you pay the same etc. glad I don't go now as we go to black pool now as its cheaper and you get bbed and free tram & coach journeys. plus picked up and dropped of at local pick up points.also £0.99 pint or splits on some hotels cant be beaten."

• Holiday details: Oct 2012, Booked Independently
  • Advice: going to the chip shop on the corner of harbour for fish and chips.
by williamreynolds

Great holiday

"II stayed at Solway holiday village with my husband and grandson, upon arrival we were pleasantly greeted at reception and very helpful, our caravan was clean with everything we needed and positioned by the children's play area and sand pit. There was always something to do every day like walk around the farm, pony riding, indoor play pit, kids club which had events for children day time and evenings and the lovely swimming pool with Walters the pool was very clean. My grandson loved it and I could relax, out side the site was the beech which we found a lovely park with paddle pool and a small fair. The shop on site was reasonably priced and their was a co op in walking distance, we enjoyed our stay so much we booked 3 caravans for next year so I could bring all my family. I would recommend Solway holiday park to any family with children, can't wait to go back it's the best holiday we've had in England."

• Holiday details: Aug 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: If traveling with children phone site and ask for caravan by play area you won't know you have them
by Donnorkabab

It's not so bad as many make it out to be!

"Some of the positive points first:

The food served is mostly good, tho the curry was a bit bland. Getting half board is the way to go if you plan on eating there, which we did. The Full English breakfast is very nice. When we saw prices on menu, we realised we saved a lot paying for half board. Not to say prices were that high tho! Regular prices I would say.

Staff are very friendly, no problems with any of them.

Swimming pool was better than I thought, but showers need up grading.

Our 3 bedroom chalet was ok with all that's needed. No luxury, but fine.

We knew we would have to feed a £1 electric meter and brought £30 of coins, but we arrived at beginning of a heat wave On Monday and it's Now Thursday, our last full day, and we only put in£3!!

Some of the negative points:

Reception area outside does not give a good impression with its dilapidated water fountain with very murky water. I don't know how the fish survive! A maintenance person should spend some time regularly sprucing up this area. A few hours cleaning would make a big difference.

The park does look like it's quite a way past its hey day.

There is no air con in bars, etc so it was very warm!

Overall, we would stay here again, but only on a good priced deal, like we got.

• Holiday details: Jul 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: pay half board if dining there. good saving.
by Rabbieboy

Alot to be desired

"Firstly, we booked our stay here through The Sun's £9.50 deal, so we never expected an amazing experience!

My partner and I stayed in one of the caravans - we were gven the keys and it seemed ok for the price, but discoved that the bedroom window didn't shut, so went back to reception. The staff were excellent and couldn't have helped us more. I got the impression they were just as embarassed about the place as we were. Anyway, we were shown to a chalet and then another caravan, which we took. The caravan was fine, but chilly - that's caravans for you - if you don't like the cold then don't stay in one, or take a little heater with you. Nice and clean and in very good condition.

The park reminded me very much of the places I spent my 80s childhood holidays in, but not in a good way. The pool was fine, but the changing areas were horrible. The pubs/restaurants were really grubby, drinks were expensive and the music made me want to bang my head on the table. I never stayed more than an hour. HOWEVER, I appreciate that the things I didn't like would make little children really happy, like arcades and 'Bob the Builder' on a permenant loop, so if you are there to entertain the little 'uns, then you might like it better than I did!!

The grounds seemed ok, didn't look round them apart from to get in and out of the park. It is NOT a mile to the beach - it took us five minutes walk.

Now, to my major gripe. The things I didn't like about the park would not have bothered me at all, had the area outside the park have given me something else do to. On the whole, Silloth is dead and depressing. Yes, the view from the beach is beautiful, but the beach is not. It's clean, but looks like mud. The old bit of the tiny town would once have been pretty, but I'm afraid the place has had it's day. I love old, quiet places, so please don't think that I was looking for lots of fun and adventure, but really, unless you want to drive for AT LEAST an hour down slow, windy and very dangerous roads (the 'so many killed in the last 5 years' signs said it all) there is absolutely nothing at all to do. Nothing. Not a restaurant, a bar or even a proper supermarket. We went to Carlisle one day and although it was nice to see life again, it was a dull place, which reminded me alot of my home city of Leicester. Not the best acolade I'm sure!

We visited the lakes a couple of times and they're truly spectacular, even in the dreadful weather we experienced. In fact, in a strange way, they seeme more beautiful because of it - very atmospheric!

On the whole, I would not return to Solway Holiday Village, and would advise friends and family to definitely not go. I feel sorry writing this review, as the staff were friendly and I so would love to see the place upgrade and do well, but with all the other competition, in the lakes, the UK and abroad, I really don't think this place will be running for much longer.

by CheshireCityhopper

Not Bad!

"First impressions aren’t good as you drive up to reception. The Chalets don’t look very nice. The reception and reception staff are nice. The staff are extremely friendly! The shop could do with a revamp but it’s adequate. Our static caravan was nice for first impressions. As we stayed in it a few defaults became apparent. For example the damp from the shower. A little note for anyone who is going though, when reception is closed and you need maintenance just ring the reception phone number as it directs through to the pub where maintenance is contactable. We didn’t know this and had to keep running over which was rather annoying. The caravan as a whole was nice. It gets cold at night though! The entertainment complex has 2 bars and a pub and takeaway and bistro. The takeaway and bistro is the same food with a few exceptions. They had entertainment on each night. Early evening was catered for kids so we went later. There was 2 singers and a sort of singing duet/ comedy act on for the 3 nights we were there. Bingo was also played however we missed this as there was no times on the entertainment sheet we were given. The swimming pool is nice if your not into swimming a lot as it isn’t shaped for swimming. The changing facilities needed a revamp. Overall this is not a bad site. Oh, we weren’t keen on the area. There isn’t much to do and it’s a bit industrial. We had a day out up to Gretna Green which is worth a drive. Keswick is also nice in the other direction. There is a Sunday market and car boot on the air field behind the site which is a reasonable size to visit. We didn’t get much but some weeks it’s better than others apparently. I would say this place has definite good bits and bad bits so I have a mixed review. Overall we had a nice break!! (we booked throught the sun £9.50 holidays) If anyone wants to ask me anything about this place please feel free!"

by Tink195

Nothing Good to say

"In One Word! Awful! stayed 1 night then left, never to return! Park and accomodation looks like a step out of the 70'S! Try Stanwix park just a mile down the road - far superior!!!"

by jojo1505

What you'd expect!!!

"We have just had a four night break at Solway Holiday Village which I booked through The Sun's £7.50 holidays.

We were a party of four - two adults and two children (11 & 12). We stayed in a three bedroom chalet which we found to be clean, comfortable and warm. OK things are looking a little tired but this is two star accomodation and what you'd expect!

On arrival the staff at Reception were very friendly and helpful and handed over our keys, entertainment passes and a little information about the site.

At this time of year the only bar open in the evening midweek is the Nag's Head. The entertainment is Bingo, Open the Box, Karaoke and one night a live singer. We went into the bar for around two hours in the evening and the girls had a great time playing bingo and using the arcades which are conveniently placed at the entrance to the bar - take plenty of money if you have kids!

We used the pool twice and both times there were two lifeguards on duty. The changing facilities are cold and things could do with a good clean but again it's what you'd expect.

The surrounding area is very quiet but the beaches are fantastic for collecting shells and lots of fresh air.

We used this site as a base and went out on day trips every day. In the evenings we used the facilities and were pleasantly surprised.

My advice to anyone going is this - don't expect too much as this is only two star accomadation and what you'd expect!

by KatieHursty

Great Solway Getaway

"I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this park. The first thing that I noticed upon ariving was the cobblestone road leading up to it through the town, what a novelty for a Northern Ireland boy.

Upon arriving at the park I noticed the chalets which had just been refurbished by the looks of things. I was greeted wit a smile by a lovely English lady and was booked in with ease.

My stay although quite short was great. The entertainment for the kids was brilliant and the staff genuinely seemed to get a buzz from their enjoyment. The drink was reasonably priced and the food was delectable.

There was some space for improvement but it seemed that the improvements were already under way.

The accommodation itself was spacious, cosy and definitely somewhere I would enjoy staying again.

by Gavclo111

Lovely accomodation pity the rest is run down

"Went for long weekend with children. The chalet was very comfortable and clean. Childrens entertainment was terrible, when I complained the member of staff was very rude, animal farm a disgrace, no miniture railway, childrens outdoor play area had no seating for parents and in a remote area of park, indoor play area cost extra and was only open at certain times, the amusement arcade was only open during pub times and the childrens pool tables out of order for most of the time. The on site shop was good. The park looks as if it was at one time well looked after but now is very run down. The area is nice and quiet but the beach is of stone. Silloth is a nice quiet town but a little run down looking."

by scotlanddoris

fantastic

"i have now been 3 times and find it to be a great place for both adults and kids. on site facilities are exactly as advertised, good size swimming pool, gym, beauty salon, and farm.

the family entertainment is great and with the addition of an adult only bar it gives you the opportunity to get away from the it all for a while.

the surrounding area is also great and there is a great market and carboot sale within walking distance.

i would recommend it for any family.

by Bri28

The Worst experienece ever

"The first thing I will say is DO NOT GO, STAY AT HOME AND SAVE YOUR MONEY !!

I booked this through the sun newspaper (£9.50 offer) and it was actually the last place on the list I had chosen and was obviously they only place with availbility, I wonder why !

I had read a few reviews on this place after being told we had been booked into this place and I can honestly say that I didn't want to go and was actually dreading it.

Firstly, the sun offer actually costs you an lot more than £9.50. You pay the sun the initial £9.50 and then Hagans charge you additional costs for bedding, club passes, facilites on the site and even the microwave, fridge and tv in your accomadation !

The brochure calims " A truly idyllic location, the park enjoys breathtaking views out over the Solway Firth " that is a load of rubbish as the holiday park is actually in the middle of a housing estate and you have to walk a good 1 mile before you actually get to see any views.

On arriving at the entrance looks very run down, letters missing from signs, half a barrier and no security. There is even a sign saying "next years holiday for this years prices" and that's before your holiday has started.

All the chalets are situated at the entrance of the park. They look okay from the outside but I never actually seen the inside of them.

On arrival at reception at 3.52pm I was told that our accomadation was not ready and to go back in 45 minutes-1 hour. On our letter we were told our checkin time was 3pm.

We were allocated carvan 52 and it was in front of the childrens play area. Why they put us here I will never know as we were 4 adults with no children and this accomadation would have been better suited to a family with children.

There was a great big hole at the side of our caravan where a caravan had been removed and there were pieces of metal and large steel posts all over the floor. A real eyesore and a health and safety issue.

Our caravan was also next to a group of young lads who kept us awake most evenings.

The one good thing was the caravan. it was very clean, spacious and had everything you could need. The only downside was the kettle had a very dangerous loose wire, the hot water was more cold than hot and the tv didn't have a good signal.

The Bars -

Harleys Bar - Very nice decor inside, nice friendly bar staff and comfortable seating. This was were all the childrens entertainment took place and although I have nothing against children it did get a bit annoying after the second night as they played the same songs, the same games over and over again.

Irish Bar - Can't comment on this at it was always closed

Nags Head Bar - The entrance was were all the arcade games and machines were and was were all the children hung about and you had a job getting into the bar becuase of this.

The bar itself was fine. Not as many children inside the bar as Harleys and they had sky sports in here. They also serve bar meals in her if the resturant is full.

Resturant - What an experience ! If you don't mind being ignored for 30 minutes after sitting down and then waiting a further 60 minutes for your food then this is the place for you. Service slow and food was edible.

Animal Farm - Interesting. One minutaure pony on his own. No food or water and I even went and bought him some vegetables as he was very hungry.

Swimming Pool and Gymnasuim - This was closed more than it was open. We had a look through the door and it was packed with children and the lifegaurd was reading the newspaper.

If you are going outside the site then there is not a lot to do, infact there is nothing. You have the beach which we didn't use as the tide was in most of the day and the village has a few shops, a fish and chip bar and a postoffice. You can walk down to the lifeboat office and they have a little shop and if you get the free local newspaper from the shop at the site it tells you what times and days they do there exercises.

This place is not what it say's it is and I would definatley recommend they upgraded there website and brochures as they are selling something that's not available.

I would never return to this site or the local vicinity

by Amanda123456

Dreadful Solway Village!

"Advertised in Hoseason brochure but owned by Hagen Leisure.

Advertised golf course - does not exist, minature railway - does not exist, go karts are of the pedal kind and are used around the service roads, beauty salon - does not exist, 1 staff member for swimmingpool and gym, pool closed more than its open, changing rooms in poor state of repair, no working lockers (valueables left under counter), animal farm would be of interest to the RSPCA, derelict and trashed caravan near to play area together with broken glass, piles of rusting scaffolding and unemptied skips, adult only Irish bar only open on Saturday, accomodation - very basic, torn shower curtains, rusted light fittings missing bullbs, graffitti on tables. Place is a shambles. I took plenty of photos and complained to Hoseason. They asked for a report from Hagen Leisure but werent given one. I wonder why?? Hoseason have refunded me 50% of the cost of my holiday. Feel they should do more and remove Solway Village from their brochure. Quite simply a dump, don't go!

by Yorkie054