Village Montana Hotel

Good

Room: 7.5/10
Value: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Village Montana Hotel

fantastic location apartment not so good

"On the whole had a fantastic week in Tignes. Village Montana is in a fantastic location just cross the road and ski down to centre where all the lifts start for both sides. Restaurants, bars easy 5/10 min walk although a bit harder on the way home (uphill)

Supermarket also in centre (spar) to the left of intersport where you can hire your equipment. A bit of a struggle back up the hill with all the beer but it keeps you fit and you can always call in a bar for refreshment on the way back.

We stayed in an apartment across road from hotel and were quite dissapointed with it it was supposed to be 4 bedrooms but one room had just a curtain pulled across to make it into 2 which we were aware of and didnt matter as our 3 boys were sharing it just made it into one room. 2nd bedroom was fine but 3rd bedroom was tiny and under eaves there was no wardrobe or drawers and every time you got out of bed you banged your head. In this room are two single beds at opposite ends of room. The kitchen was very poorly equipped no kettle no toaster and a tiny oven/grill that was above the cooker and extractor To make toast in the morning one of us had to stand on a chair which is not easy when someone under you is trying to cook eggs etc. The handle was also hanging off the oven.There was a dishwasher and a fridge freezer though. I reccomend you take a tin opener as the one they provided is from the 60s i think and we couldnt use it.

The spa was nice but everything is smaller than expected (pool, jacuzzi ) and we were under the impression there was an indoor pool (there is even a picture of one outside the hotel) but it doesnt exist.

The lounge/ dining area was brillilant and easy seated 8 of us and had a log burner in lounge, The views from balcony were brilliant.

The town has several bars/restaurants but we didnt see much apres ski i think its quite family orientated although apparentley later at night there are a few lively bars,

Also in town there is a small ice rink on a natural frozen lake and you can do/watch ice diving. also there are husky rides etc.

There is a sports centre with pool, gym sauna etc but we never got around to going.

We had lunch once in le chaumierre attached to hotel and it was best lunch all week also ate there and meal was lovely. We had a fondue and were given an amazing amount of meat it was lovely but was a bit worried about all the extension leads around the floors. The fondues are electric and full of boiling fat we were worried that someone would trip over and pull the pot over,

Basically i would reccomend village montana and would go back but would check more carefully the layout of the apartment and bedroom situation.

Biggest down side of Tignes was the 3 hour transfer but we went with a brilliant firm alpinecabs.com who made it much more bearable. They provided a dvd player in the back seats so that the kids were kept occupied.

feel free to contact me if you want any more info.

by melleray

Great Location

"Apartments are in a fantastic location - ski in and ski out. Very close to all amentities in Tignes Le Lac. The space in the apartments was very good overall. However they were a little tired in their appearance and the kitchen was small and didn't have a proper oven.

A good option compared to other accommodations we looked at in the area and a great bonus that there were no bunk beds.

We probably wouldn't stay here if we were not on a skiing holiday but very much enjoyed our break. Perfect for a large group looking for an inexpensive place in the centre of the resort. Best for those who don't mind missing out on a few luxuries! (for example no kettle in the kitchen).

Great little bakery two doors down and the spa in the adjoining hotel was enjoyable after a hard day on the slopes.

Recommend Ski Republic for ski hire. All new equipment and the best prices.

by zoe1m

OK, But not standing up to 4* rating

"OK. So first of all need to clear some potential confusion. The Montana regime in Tignes covers several properties including two hotels and the Residences, where I stayed at which is an apartment rental facility. This review is for the Residences.

After having stayed for several years at Tignes in its wonderful ClubMed, I figured that since the kids have grown, and the added expenses associated with the Club are no longer worth it - what the heck - its a good opportunity to check other forms of accomodation.

So I dug up this 4* appartment residence. My criteria were rather simple:

- nice spacious accomodation

- easy-on easy-off the slopes

- wifi access

The Residences Montana seemed to offer the first 2 with a slight caveat on the 3rd item; wifi is available for free at the Montana 3* hotel "30 meters (thats about 100 feet) away". More about those 30 meters later...

Anyways, before diving into the review itself, a small confession. I am a fussbudget of a traveler. I will usually throw in the additional 10-20% to make sure I can enjoy my vacation all the way, and when I dont I get a little irritated, so please take the comments here in stride.

Let's start with the reservation process. P-E-R-F-E-C-T!!! Thanks to one individual - Emanuelle Kerric, the entire reservation process was great. There were a couple of minor glitches of sending me the contract for the wrong dates, but all that was well handled, communication was via email, very fast, very professional, and did I mention already I was a big pain in the rear end? Well, nothing mattered to Ms. Kerric. She fielded all my requests with courtesy, with perfect English (a rarity in France). In short this pre-

reservation process was one of the main reasons I ended up chosing Montana Residences for my stay.

Now to the hotel itself. Before diving any deeper, let it be said. Everything was absolutely as advertised - there were no surprises there, I was not misled by the web site, nor by the correspondance with Ms. Kerric. So the stay was certainly OK. That's the good news. That's the bad news as well.

My guess is that this is no fault of the hotel, but rather of the French Tourism Ministry, but 4* in France is nothing like 4* in the US - so watch out.

The residence itself is spacious, it hosted the 2 of us very nicely. I must admit I dont know how 4 (or even 5, as the web site says) would share a flat like this one. Only one toilet, one bath/shower, one TV, a miniscule kitchen with barely room for 1, but as I said, the size of the appartment and its description is just as advertised - cannot complain here.

Cleanliness - not bad. The appartment was cleaned before I arrived. I cannot say the same about the kitchenware. While I was assured that what happened was an exception, I found the vast majority of my kitchenware still in the dishwasher, supposedly after a wash, but I had to run it thru another cycle. No dishwashing soap nor materials are provided and that's probably the main reason for this. This is not to mention the fact that it is my responsibility as a guest to do an inventory check as I enter the residence to make sure nothing is missing. Cut me a break!!! Inventory check? And what exactly are the Montana folks people doing? Finally about the kitchen - no microwave - only a toaster-oven. Once again, this is probably my bad, as there is no mention of a micorwave in the apartment description, and I underestimated the importance of such an appliance (so obvious when we have one at home), but considering that every 2* suite-hotel in the US has one, hard to imagine a 4* residence without one. And it did make our home-cooking a bit more tedious.

All in all, the appartment was ok. The room is er...designed in a very bland manner, but certainly a place it was ok to come back to after a day of skiing. We could cook and eat all our meals comfortably in the room - the toaster over could have been cleaner, I guess, but nothing that an extra layer of aluminum foils cannot make up for. We could play our board and card games in it. Certainly fine.

Easy on/easy off - super!!! spacious ski room, exit is right on the slopes. Wonderful!!!

A couple of mishaps on the day of our arrival - one of the elevators (they have one for the even floors and one for the odd ones) broke down, and stayed that way for 2 more days. Very uncomfortable. The second was that my assigned parking space was taken when I left the place for 15 minutes, and rather than shoo away the perpetrator, they assigned me another space - not a great way to pass 30 minutes after a long day of flying and driving. Finally the TV in my room was non operational. no remote control, all stations were scrambled. This was resolved within a couple of hours, but yo! ever heard of the concept of preparing a room for its guests?

The stay itself was ok, but was marred by a few disappointments. First you should know that there is no receptionist at the entrance, all my communication was with a virtual receptionist known as #320.

1. Heating - turns out that the room's temperature is controlled by some computer somewhere, and I had to literally beg the virtual receptionist to raise the temperature. After 10 times this was finally adjusted.

2. Toilet paper - what can I say, I ran out of toilet paper. When I informed my "receptionist" about this, she informed me that she is sorry but I have to go buy additional rolls in the nearby Supermarket? What? come again? Toilet paper? 4* residence? You gotta be kidding me? Nope. She wasnt...

And finally one last point about the 3* Montana hotel "30 meters away". Well... it might be 30 meters if you are a bird, but not if you need to walk it. In reality its not that bad, its a 3 minute walk, which is ok (if there is no snow on the way, and your chances of slipping are reduced...). I admit again that I erred here, as I underestimated the comfort of wifi in my room as opposed to having to walk back and forth sit in the hotel lobby download my emails etc. etc., yet on the other hand it gave me and my daughter some more quality time together, not being hooked to the Internet during our time off. TV? Did anybody say TV? Only two English speaking channels are available, so.. no.. TV is not an option either - once again, this is just for the better. This hotel also provides for the ski-rental (very good) the apres-ski facilities such as sauna, whirlpool (too small, but there are not much better facilities in the resort).

Bottom line - was the stay a good one? Reasonably yes. Would I go back there? No! Frankly I am not even sure that a French ski resort apartment facility could offer the basic semi-luxury modern accomodations one can easily find in US ones for the same price and less. Until next year, I guess this question will remain up in the (thin mountain) air.

by DoronG

Hotel and Staff fantastic

"Was very impressed with this hotel as it only has 3 star rating - the suites and apartments are 4 star though. The staff we very friendly and helpful - including to our 4 children - which was a total blessing. The restaurants food was fab, including an alternative main course for the kids. The locker rooms were spacious and you could ski in and pratically out to the ski meeting area. Tignes was lovely and there are a good number of restaurants in the village area for lunchtime food so you don't miss out on the skiing."

by ski_nut_8

Superb. Faultless

"We stayed at the hotel as a family of 4 on a half board basis over Christmas 2007 and we could not have chosen better. Our 2 boys are aged 6 and 9 and everything was at hand for them - ski classes with other English children and superb friendly hotel staff. The hotel is in a wonderful location offering ski to door as well as an outdoor pool and a 5 course evening meal which was truly fabulous. The bar area is welcoming with a roaring fire and pool tables as well as a games room.

We had a 1 bedroomed family room with bunk beds for the kids which was ample and plenty of storage.

The kids are good skiers and found Tignes ski area challenging but good fun. We would rate the hotel as a 4 star and look forward to our next visit.

by JamesRHuddersfield

A real gem.

"Stayed for a week and just loved the hotel. We were very please with their service & facilities. Their rooms were very comfortable, spacious and had plenty of storage. A nice menu with a variety at each meal, and well presented. The location can’t be beat, a truly ski-in and ski-out property. I would highly recommend this property, and the area is a true skier's paradise."

by Travel2ski

Flew from Birmingham International to...

"Flew from Birmingham International to Lyon and picked up a Sixt hire Car (good price) - got a BMW 318D estate.

Drove for over 3 hrs to Tignes. This was easy as car has sat nav - a bonus we didn't expect. Unfortunately there had been a major accident on the 'motorway' which delayed us. (Getting back to the airport only took 2hrs 30mins at 6am.

Arrived at the Hotel, booking in was simple and efficient although finding the underground car park was a little more difficult.

The apartment was clean, in good repair and comprised of a toilet, bathroom (bath with shower over) 2 bedrooms with 2x single beds, a lounge/dinning area, sofa converted into a double bed but we did not use it as there were only 4 adults. Kitchen area had Combo microwave oven, 4 rings, fridge and dish-washer.

Only down side was the noise from some of our neighbours (decided to party a couple of nights until 3 am apart from that the apartment was excellent.

Tignes le lac is quite a quiet resort - only a few bars and restaurants. We would certainly recommend Rendezvous for Pizza and the Hotel on the main street by the island for 'proper' meals - Had duck in Cranberry and peaches - fantastic!

There are more ski hire shops than anything else. My advice is to pre-book on the web.

The skiing is superb. The Espace Killy is one of the largest ski areas and in my opinion only just beaten by the 3 vallees. You can ski almost to the apartment door.

Overall the week was fantastic although that was probably influenced by the clear blue skies, warm temperatures, and ample snow from the 'dump' they received the previous week.

I would recommend both the resort and apartments. We'll be back!

by Hoffy

Slightly disappointed

"Apartments are situated in a good location for skiing,which enabled us to have a virtually ski in/out privilege. However our apartment greeted us with an unwelcome smell on arrival, and was in a generally tired condition, it would benefit from some decorating to spruce things up. The Hotel adjacent had a nice cosy bar and really friendly and helpful staff. Unfortunately we felt that overall the apartment was well over priced."

by ducyam

What a Gem of a Hotel

"My self and my partner stayed here in early december for a short break, based on recomendations from this site. The hotel is comfortable and in my opinion should be rated higher than a three star, the service from check in through to our check out was excellent - the staff could not have been more considerate and the restaurant on site was superb. We came just before the start of the season and it was only one of three open, but non the less it was a god send to have it there after a heavy day on the slopes....

If you stay in Tignes I would say you must try it out - forgot to mention its ski 2 door! Without a doubt a welcome surprise on our first day!

by Cookiey

Hotel suited to families and couples,...

"Hotel suited to families and couples, facilities were excellent including the sauna, steam room and outdoor pool!

Our hotel room was something special, very spacious, immaculate and lots of room for drying out ski gear! Hotel staff were friendly and professional, and the food was very good, although the bar was expensive.

You are able to ski to and from the hotel door, but beware, I had my Snowboard stolen from the locker room during my stay!

The transfer takes between 4 and 5 hours, contrary to the tour operator's 'guestimates', but the resort and snow is worth it, albeit the coldest ever resort I have been to!

by C Lee

An excellent 10 days stay

"I stayed for ten days in the Hotel. I was pleasantly suprised. Room were spacious compared to what I have seen before in the French Alps. The Hotel is well located next to ski lifts. The Bar was very cosy and pleasant. Relaxing atmosphere. The grill restaurant is not worth visit. The open air swimming pool in winter...is in reality smaller but nice. Sauna and hamman very ok."

by stevenBrussels

Hugh amount of space. Everyone gets a room!!!!

"We stopped in the village Montana week commencing January 15th 2005. The people at reception were very friendly and soon had us in our very spacious three bedroomed apartment.

This was the largest ski apartment we had ever stopped in and was well worth the money. You can ski to the door (weather permitting).

The only bad thing I can think of saying about the village montana is that you have to climb a hill on the way home from town, this can get quite tiresome. But there is the Red Lion to break the journey, so its not all bad news!!! This accomadation is well worth a try!

We travelled via easyjet, and booked the hotel direct. Its so much easier and cheaper than the tour operaters. Taxi cost 550.00 euros return, between five of us, and was waiting at Geneva airport. I will never use a tour operator again!!

by A TripAdvisor Member

Read more reviews of Village Montana Hotel at TripAdvisor

Map for Village Montana Hotel Closest airport: Turin International (TRN) 40.5 miles