Club Mahindra Varca Beach

Room: 8.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Club Mahindra Varca Beach

Hopeless Resort

"We have been Club Mahindra member for more than 10 years and have been to various properties of Club Mahindra but we found Club Mahindra Varca,Goa to be the worst one among the lot in terms of Hospitality .. THe Staff is extremely rude which includes Duty Manager,People in the Room service ,Reception ,House Keeping ..

The Check In was very poor .. we were made to sit in the lobby for 4 hours and were not offered Water/Welcome Drink .. When we request the Duty manager ( Mrs Laura) to help us to checkin a little bit early but rather than explaning us nicely she started talking to us rudely that they can not allow us to check in early, also during the checkin time we asked them to show 2 different option of rooms for which no one from their staff came with us but still we asked the housekeeping people to show the rooms to us

Once we decided the room we called the people from reception that if possible incase they can send our luggages in the room along with keys for which they said that we are not allowed to enter the room and we should come to the reception and collect the keys ..Still I went to the reception and asked for the keys for which they responded that Duty Manager( Mrs Laura) has gone for lunch and I should wait for the keys until she comes back ...( So according to him I have to wait until duty manager haves her lunch and sleep ?)

Also in the rooms we asked for some more glasses and water for which the room service asked us to contact housekeeping which we did and waited for more than half hour .. We again called to Housekeeping for which the lady at housekeeping replied rudely to us that she can not send the glasses and Water until the Boys from Housekeeping comes and give to us ..

Lastly we compalined about everything to the people at reception while checking out .. and also wrote a letter to GM at Club Mahindra about the Duty Manager ( Mrs Laura) but still the Duty Manager doesnt have a courtesy to explain her situation or just to say sorry about whatever trouble we faced during our holidays

I will not recommmend you to visit this hotel .. May be you can visit other 2 club mahindra properties in Goa but certainly not this one ..

by Gaurang G

Relaxing and enjoyable

"Travelled with first choice, on the outward flight managed to book extra legroom after a long phone call but never received notification even on the tickets so another hour on the phone to eventually confirm these seats were booked. Unable to reserve for return flight. In Goa the rep (Conrad) advised paying an extra £5 each to book seats together for return flight this he did and appears to be the norm to get extra cash out of us. I finished up sitting behind a row of extra legroom passenger at emergency exits behind the wings. My row was 29 and I swear my legroom was less than all other rows. The pouch with a very stiff metal edge had been pulled down and was rubbing against my shin, complained but nothing could be done. Flights ok otherwise, on time no delays except to get a drunk off the return flight!

Not too bad through arrivals in Goa, lots of jobs for the boys every thing double checked

The coach from the airport came out of the ark but that’s India, air conditioning, is open the windows!

Under the hour to the hotel, with only one drop off at Radissons hotel next door.

Room ready on arrival at midday. Nothing too sparkling, bath with decent overhead shower hair drier. Microwave, kfs plates bowel brew kit replenished each day when room cleaned. Plug missing from sink took too days to get one! Apparently they are sink stoppers and not plugs as I got a man with a plunger first of all, next day I got the plug. aircon noisy no fan though aircon temp was supposed to be adjustable for temp and speed but only worked at one speed, don’t think the temp changed, very noisy wall clock so the battery got taken out. Room basic but clean starting to show its age as these rooms are part of the original main hotel building. Ok in a way, close to breakfast restaurant, reception and top pool with grassed sun bathing area.

All staff throughout very helpful, but nothing is done with great speed, so relax and go with the slow flow.

Nice sunbathing area comfy beds and plenty of clean towels for the beds each day. Waiters are about but come at India pace.

Hotel grounds are lovely and lit at night with a good 200 meter walk through the grounds to the beach which just stretches into the distance either way. Lovely golden sand, when the beach is busy it’s still deserted. The beach faces west so always a sunset. Hotel has its own dune shack, sand on the floor with theamed evenings, select your own fish.

Onto the beach and 60 yards to the right is Glorios beach shack run by Tony, great food ate there most of all never had a problem even with two huge crabs 9/10” one dressed and one boiled, beautiful . The tandoori king fish is to die for along with garlic tiger king prawns 9” long and 4 for less than a fiver.

Large beer 60 rupees exchange rate was at 85 to the £.

Could not fault Glorios, chicken lollypops lovely.

Spicy small drumstick deep-fried in batter, plate of 8 for 120 rps

Wednesday night fireworks show and it tends to get busy so expect a long wait for food. But to sit in a lovely warm evening breeze that drops about 9.30pm under the stars on a soft sandy beach next to the Arabian Sea washing in, a cool cheap beer, peace and quiet what more do you want.

Don’t expect any hectic night life there isn’t any

But to sit and relax enjoy the sea food at cheap prices. It’s not for all, most of the brits there on average were retired or semi retired. Very few families.

The complex is mainly Indian time share, only had one noisy group of youngsters at a weekend and they were spoken to by staff. There were as many Russians on all inclusive as there were Brits, but no problems with noise while we were there.

The small town of Varc is about 1.5 km away chemist and jewellers is all we used but there is a dentist at much cheaper prices than uk also optician visits the hotel..

Joe cons restaurant at Benaulim is good about 10 mins away in taxi, further on is Colva more shops stalls for tourists and 2 discos. went to Mickys in Colva on Saturday night and were well entertained by solo male singer who could sing anything. good atmosphere.

taxis outside the hotel are a bit of a con so we used taxi from Loddys place, driver called Candido who lives just up the road. Insisted we attend his sons christening party at his house along with about a 100 of his relatives and the local pastor. we were treated just like one of the family

you can’t book this at the travel agents! Goa hospitality at its best with lovely local grub.

give him my regards

A holiday to remember lovely food, lovely climate

not too hot low humidity in Feb lovely people and relaxing if that’s what you want, just remember this is the third world, India is a big change from the uk

Dave and Carol

by DAVE1036

Fantastic Club Mahindra, Goa

"We flew out to Goa for three weeks to the Club Mahindra Varca Beach, after a 24 hour delay, with Monarch of course, it really is about time they got it right after all they've been doing it long enough. That aside we had the most amazing time at the hotel which has the best swimming pools of any hotel we have ever been to and this was our fifth vist to Goa in the past nine years, the hotel was exceptionally clean and the staff were always on hand to help if that was what was required. There is no doubt that we will go to this hotel again."

by aljoy

There are better hotels in South Goa!.Characterless.

"A last minute booking to South Goa after staying in Cavelossim in November. 2006. After dipping toes in India wished to return to visit Delhi, Agra, Taj Mahal etc.

We had stipulated with travel agent that we needed a room large enough for extra bed. On arrival at Club Mahindra, Looks OK. and waiting hours, which is all you need after all night traveling from UK. We were told check in was from 12.00 midday, we arrived at approx 08.00am - the cramped room we were shown near reception, no view, would have been a room with all beds and NO room to move around. The only alternative was paying 1,000 rupees per day for a timeshare room which we took as the room really was tiny and the position dreadful.

The "upgrade" room was overlooking the bottom pool. Balcony, large room, sitting area, studio kitchen with kettle, sink, microwave utensils etc.

According to several travel brochures which states Mini Golf and tennis court - these do NOT exist. There are two nice pools. Very Clean. Just about enough sun beds. No Prob with beach towels.

Nice area towards beach with a few beds and a restaurant Dune Shack.

The nice beach is a bit of a "hoick" to reach and tiring, over bridge. Lovely beach, as all south Goa, for long walks.

We stayed B + B. The breakfast can be taken in one of two areas, one continental, one Indian. Not Special in either tho' better in the Indian. Everything, (tea bags, milk, fruit, cheese - you name it) runs out in the Continental and takes an age to replenish. Fruit is a poor choice of, two, you can order bananas! The service in the Continental restaurant is very poor. Totally uninterested staff.

Cleaning staff in Time share area were good.

My complaint really is that as a timeshare hotel the hotel is pretty much segregated, one restaurant for the Nationals, one for the Europeans, One pool for the Nationals, one for the Europeans. The whole place has no centre point to meet and mix and therefore totally without character.

The Gym is OK and the staff good there in the health club.

Hotel very isolated and the taxi drivers outside work on a mafia style re prices.

About 5 places to eat behind the hotel which are all pretty good. Loddies. Also there, an excellent hairdressers/ beautician - Sabrina. Very good and reasonable price Michas v. good too.

Make sure you double check the prices for hiring very bad quality bikes in the hotel, they will sting you for what you thought was for an hour but then it is only per 30 mins - It takes that long to reach the beach!

I would not recommend this hotel -there are many better hotelsat a lower star rating.

This I believe, as a regular TripAdvisor contributer, is probabably the only really "bad" review I have written. Contact me if you have any queries.

by CastlesESP

fantastic experience

"WE are just back from a week at the Club Mahindra and had a fantastic time. We flew with First Choice and the plane was very comfortable with lots of leg room , seat back screens with games, tv ,movies etc.

Arriving at the hotel, the reception and public areas may not be quite as grand as some of the neighbouring establishments, but they are perfectly comfortable with plenty of friendly helpful staff. There is a small bar on the mezzanine along with games tables. The main reception area is bright and open, with a small but well equipped shop in the corner.

Below this at pool level are two restaurants, both buffet service. Next to the pool, is the western/ european restaurant while set off a small courtyard is the indian restaurant. We were on b and b basis but ate in both. Breakfast spread in both was good with similar continental, cereals, fruit tea and coffee in both, the difference was the indian served dhosa, idli, puri etc while full english was in the poolside restaurant. I'm sure you could mix and match if you wanted. My only issue was it was self service instant coffee, it would have been nice to have someone come round with a jug of real coffee but this is really looking for fault. Set at the far end of the hotel is the Dune Hut. This is the hotel's own beach shack .

There are two pool areas, the one closest to reception is on three levels while the other has slides, arches and a jacuzzi area. There were plenty of loungers around both (and at the dune shack) and for once not too many people up at some silly hour to place towels and then disappear .

Our accomodation was in one of the ground floor studio units set in two storey building through the grounds. There was also accomodation in the main hotel block. I did notice that there was what sounded like a large generator or a/c unit running most of the time near the main block and I wouldn't have wanted to be over that for the duration of my holiday. Around the top pool it was just audible and we couldn't hear it at all from our room. Our room was large, bright and clean with a king size bed (real one not two singles pushed together), sofa and a kitchenette with fridge and microwave, not that we cooked. The furnishing was light modern, think Ikea/ Habitat rather than plush country house!!

The hotel does not have its own beach frontage. the Dune Shack is set in the dunes and you have to cross a small bridge over a lagoon complete with egrets, kites, herons and kingfishers to get onto the actual beach. Just off to the right are three shacks. All serve good food and have loungers which they will reserve for regulars up till mid day . to the left is a watersports hut with jet skiing, dolphin trips, parascending and all the usual. There are plenty of other shacks in either direction

Immediately outside the hotel on the other side there are a couple of restaurants and a very tiny shop selling basic provisions. It's about 1.5 km to Varca village. This is a real Goan village with local shops rather than tourist outlets. There is nothing much else near the Hotel apart from the Radisson White Sands Hotel next door. The rest is fields, scrub and palm trees.

The clientel is predominently indian as this is a time share resort. This means the evening entertainment is indian oriented although english language, and the hotel prices are more in line with normal outside prices rather than western prices as we experienced in other international hotels in Goa (200 rps for half bottle of local spirit, 4 mixers, ice bucket and cheesey nibbles on room service). The overall effect of this is that you really feel you are in Goa not in just some other multinational 4 star somewhere hot! One slight downside was the beach vendors nearby were very persistent and descended on you on mass and would not give up and constantly hasseled you!

by andandlor

fantastic Club Mahindra

"We have just returned from a 3 week stay at the club Mahindra,Varca Beach. It was our first visit to Goa, and will certainly not be our last. I am allready booking for this year.

The hotel was spotless and the staff could not do enough to make our stay pleasurable. It had two large pools in its beautiful landscape grounds, 3 resturants, one of which is a beach shack which serves fantastic fresh sea food.

The beach itself has only one other hotel near by and evev when it was busy it was deserted. There three shacks all selling great food, and a shack offering the usuall watersports,fishing trips, dolphin watching etc.Can,t wait to get back.

by pldunn

disaster

"Booked with Cosmos and hence Monarch airlines we would never use either again.

We stayed at the Club Mahindra hotel Varca the staff were first class no complaints. On arrival after the cattle truck company known as Monarch we were shown to a room which was grubby and with a balcony overlooking a small tennis court piled with paint pots and ladders together with a man on the balcony busy painting.Complained next day were told these are the rooms allocated to Cosmos the brochure pics were nothing like the room. I paid £250 for an upgrade [3 weeks[ then later found out many others had complained and not been charged after a meeting with the manager my money was refunded. The next room was above a 24 hour building project very noisey so onto our third room which backed onto a 24 hour road building project very noisey so onto our fourth room. We later found out that the hotel was carrying out major building and refurbishment in readiness for a massive conference of the hotel worldwide chain,we gritted our teeth as the building and the noise and disruption went from bad to ridiculous. Caught a taxi to Candelim [north]to see what that was like we were horrified miles of beach with Soweto style makeshift shacks selling cheap food many with no power ie no refrigeration and no hygene standards rusting ship alongside and many ships awaiting to be loaded a holiday nightmare.We ate mostly at the Mahindra which was ok with the odd trip to places near the hotel. Varca is not built up so we were able to escape the hotel and walk the beach which was very good and the sea very warm. India is a dirty place where the rubbish is piled outside attracting cattle rats dogs flies and pigs every once in a while it is set alight hence a constant smell of burning rubbish in the air.If you go stay at the Raddison White Sands in the South and dont leave the hotel DO NOT GO NORTH its a dump.night before we left I felt ill by the time I got to the airport I was in a very bad way and tried to hide in case I was bumped off the flight I hide in the toilet where I collapsed a doctor advised me to say nothing just get on the plane and gave me a shot and called for a wheelchair which was falling apart. Two airport attendants pushing the wheelchair doing their job then proceeded to demand money off my wife she gave them £5 a fortune in Goa they wanted more and turned on me I was in a bad way and gave them more to get rid of them. After a nightmare journey home made worse by Monarchs cramped conditions I was diagnosed with Dysentry and received a call from the health dept who told me it was due to bad hygene standardsie chefs not washing hands dishes not washed in hot water etc. I had lost a stone in 4 days and it took me 14 days to recover. You might think I am fussy I spent years in the Merchant Navy visiting some very poor countries [never India] India was the worst by far for rubbish and filth we even saw a boy about twelve defacating in public.

My advice dont go if you do DO NOT TAKE CHILDREN, DONT STAY AT ANYTHING LESS THAN A 5 STAR GO SOUTH DONT EAT IN THE SHACKS, we drank only bottled water and always washed our hands after greeting local people at eating places etc. This is an honest review. The Goan people are lovely put the place is - with no hygene standards frequent power cuts ie fridges off for long periods no civic pride.

by davegmzcc

terrible

"this hotel should be rated as 2 star .hotel closes at 11 pm.staff are unhelpfull which is unusual in india.food is disgusting,situated on varca beach with 3 shaks for eating bored."

by Partickglasgow

Stay Next Door at The White Sands

"We stayed for two weeks during half term (Feb 06) and our first experiences were not positive. Granted, we arrived at 5am but they obviously were not expecting us and we were temporarily put into a pokey double room, next to the kitchen and air conditioning machines. We then asked for mattresses for the kids and were supplied with just one. After complaining they then gave us another one. We then went to sleep only to be awoken a few minutes later, saying they could move us. We said we would stay in the room until the kids awoke. They kept badgering us and eventually we agreed to be moved.

This room, although a suite had only one sofa bed for two children and a balcony overlooking a mosquito infested shrub with no view of anything. Eventually after a day of hassling they agreed to move us to a quieter room and with two sofa beds and a decent sized balcony. This was much better, although was damp, but we were happy with this. Although shows how important first impressions are!

The restaurant served excellent Indian food but the atmosphere was akin to a works canteen - very bright and fluorescent. We ate there only once and it was such a scrap at breakfast that we always went to one of the nearby restaurants for breakfast which was much more relaxed.

Service was very mixed and diffident to say the least and to get anything done often required a mini tantrum - not something that you need when on holiday.

When checking out, check your bill carefully as they tried to overcharge us and other guests had similar experiences. During our stay, one accommodation-only guest had her room burgled and the staff were obstructive in trying to help her obtain the proof she needed for her insurance company. As one of the Indian guests said " a 4 star hotel with 1 star service".

On the positives, the beach is beautiful (although strong waves so not good for young children) and the restaurants and cafe all served fantastic food.

The hotel next door is the Radisson White Sands and on our last day I wandered in and was very envious of what could have been. Although this would be more expensive it is definitely worth the money and they have some great luxury tented accommodation too.

by anaqvi1

A resort haven

"My family of four (kids were 7 and 3), mother and two brothers, stayed at this resort for a whole week. We spent most of the time in the pool, by the beach or swaying in one of the hammocks by the open lawn restaurant. The food..........excellent. You don't have to order a-la-carte because the very reasonably priced buffet breakfast, lunch or dinner had everything you could want. Be ready to add a few pounds while there! The rooms were great, clean, spacious and airy. The only two things that stopped me from giving this hotel an excellent rating were, one, the beach is quite a walk from the rooms. You have to plan on visiting the beach, carry everything you need (coz if you forget your sun block, you're going to have to do the distance twice not to mention your walk back anyway!) and give time for your long walk back. With small kids it can be a bit tiring. The second thing is the on resort store they have in case you need to buy anything........it is pricey. Pick up what you need when you go into the city. We rented bikes which are available for rent right outside the hotel entrance. That was great because we got to see the other beaches around Goa just riding around on the 'bullets' and enjoyed the amazing views along the way. Overall, a wonderful place that I would highly recommend."

by MistyIndia

Gorgeous!!

"A truly gorgeous hotel with very friendly staff. The rooms are very nice and clean and the bed is nice and soft :) I would definately recommend this hotel. The hotel is not located right next to the beach, its a five to ten minute walk to get there. They have a gorgeous pool area, and an open air bar on level 2. The locals you see at the hotel are members of Club Mahindra who take advantage of the membership discount on accommodation and its facilities. I took advantage of the beauty salon and had a facial, manicure and pedicure done for a very reasonable price which would usually be quite pricey. I will definatley stay there again."

by Spirax