Travelodge Lancaster M6

Moto Service Area, M6 Motorway White Carr Lane, Lancaster LA2 9DU, United Kingdom

Good

Room: 4.5/10
Service: 5.5/10
Value: 5.5/10
Location: 6.5/10

Unexpected service

"We stayed on 2 rooms in first long weekend on May. the rooms and bathroom were clean, staff was ok and car park has good space. Costa , M&S , petrol station near by and Burger king cross the road was really convenient. The first day they have cleaned the rooms, changed bins, towels. But the next day they leave the towel, soap, tea bags in front of the rooms. We did not give any instructions but we could not figure out why they did not clean the room or changed the bins. We have stayed in travelodge (Glasgow n Plymouth) two times previously and had very nice experiences. I hope this helps others"

• Holiday details: May 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: holidays, family trips.
by Shundori

Don't stop here unless you really have no other choice!

"This Travelodge had apparently been refurbished, but the chest of drawers in our room was missing handles, the tiles in the bathroom were dated and the grout wasn't as clean as it should have been.

The batteries in the TV remote didn't work, but the lovely girl on reception did sort this out.

No bar, just vending machines.

Room was tiny and bathroom dark.

Okay if needing to break up a long journey, but not overly pleasant.

by shoes77shoes

Not worth the price we paid!

"We booked this hotel as a pit-stop en route to the Lake District, but it was the worst decision I could have made. Although I thought I had found a bargain at £51 for a family room I was highly disappointed.

The room was very basic, which wasn't that bad - the worst part was when we saw insects crawling in the main bedroom light and other creepy crawlies inside the bathroom. The bathtub was mildew infested and it has a strange smell.

All I can say is that it was a very long night...!!!

by Shumailla

very convenient

"The hotel is great for a single night stop-over. There is ample car parking available (about 50 slots). It is a no-frills place to stay and as expected, it comes cheap. The rooms are very clean and everything works. The view from the rooms are not great, but then, for a one night stay, you don't really expect a room with a view. You have good food options (only fast food though). Checking out is a breeze and over all it was a very hassle-free stay."

by readingfalcon

value for money

"We were visiting relatives in Lancaster and managed to book this hotel for £9 a night. I thought it would be noisy from motorway, but it wasn't, beds were very comfortable and clean, extra pillows were available from reception as was extra tea coffee etc. Access from the southbound carriageway was not a problem, there is a service road that goes over the motorway to the north side service area. We stayed two nights and £18 for 3 people total was excellent value."

by NorthantsDragons

Handy for University of Cumbia in Lancaster trips!

"We have stayed at this Travel Lodge several times recently and with advance bookings, have been able to secure rooms at £29 per night.

Each time the staff have been very helpful, we have always been provided with extra pillows, tea, milk sugar etc when requested.

The rooms are as standard for the Travel Lodge group - clean, tidy, functional.

The situation of the Travel Lodge is convenient for Lancaster for our purposes and despite it's situation close to the M6, we have never been disturbed by any traffic noise.

The views from the rooms at the back are really nice, last time we stayed, we watched rabbits hopping about outside the window!

The only downside would be in relation to the access from the southbound side of the M6 if the lane across the motorway were not available as mentioned by other reviewers. Each time we have stayed, the barriers have been open - we have written to the Travel Lodge group about this, but not heard anything back.

by Puffin_ladySomerset

£19 bargain - if you can find it!

"Not the easiest to find! We paid £19 - booked through the Travelodge website. Not worth the usual £50 or so that is charged. We arrived late at night from the North of England - approx midnight! Never again - the access is via the Southbound carriageway so you have to go out of your way to get there! Very clean - even though in need of complete refurbishment and very tired."

by DouggieHead

OK, typical Travelodge experience

"I stayed in many Travelodges over the years and this one is not bad at all. I booked for £29 and adding the internet for 1 day for £10, this night set me back £39. I bought some rolls at the M&S shop for breakfast, so not too bad. BUT I decided to drive for dinner and found on the A6 southbound a nice inn where I had dinner. This place, the New Holly, PR3 0BL, T: [--] has single rooms incl. breakfast and WiFi for £49.-, Double £69.-. I know where I will stay next time!!! I am sure the rooms are fine. Dinner definately was!

Indeed, this Travelodge is on the Northbound M6, I managed to drive back via some small local roads, so not needing to make a 30 mile tour via the southbound M6. A Satnav is a good aid, or otherwise some very good map.

by John071

It is what it is

"Stayed on route to Cumbria, simple room and simple check in. Paid £50 for a double room. Breakfast was extra - didnt bother looked very expensive. Rooms are brightly furnished though there is a certain "prison cell" feel to it. This is not a bad hotel and £50 doesnt buy much today in hotel terms. For one night it's perfectly fine."

by Phil_Hemmington

Keep driving, no matter how tired you are!!

"Wow, how can one room be so bad in so many ways? Leaky horrible shower, mold everywhere, funky old fixtures, just a general feeling of Not Clean..... All night, while fighting an uncomfortable bed, I never stopped wishing that we would have kept driving to Carlisle or at least Penrith. If you are so desperate that you have to stay here, bring your own food. The worst food court I have ever been exposed to was at this same location. Not just dirty, this place is creepy. Avoid avoid avoid. By the way, the Travelodge in Durham was completely the opposite and a wonderful treat, so it isn't all in the name......"

by GoldilocksArizona

Fantastic Vlaue

"If you manage to get a room here for the hotel specials of GBP15 or GBP26, then it is absolutely unbeatable. If you have to pay the full rate of GBP49, then I would look elswhere first.

My major concern is access from the southbound carriageway. I have stayed here many times previously and you used to be able to access the hotel from the southbound carriageway, by going over the motorway bridge, without any problems. The exits to the bridge from both directions now have raisable bollards on them, apparently installed by Moto, the service station operator. Luckily we were able to exit the southbound service area, as the bollards were down, and ring the bell on the nothbound entrance, and gained access that way. Apparently they have names of reservations, so they will let you in OK. (not sure about turning up on spec) Anyway, after getting off the ferry from the Isle of Man at midnight at nearby Heysham, you do not want an extra 30 miles on your journey, to access the hotel from the northbound carriageway! Incidently you are able to access the hotel by the minor roads of the A6, contrary to advice given when I called the hotel before booking.

The rooms themselves are showing their age and there is even a note in reception about problems encountered due to the age of the hotel. The TV's remote control unit numbers had been worn off and the batteries were flat!

Overall though a good budget hotel with a clean bathroom.

by Gags