Holiday Inn Lancaster

Cleanliness: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Holiday Inn Lancaster

1 2 »
Convenient with good service

"We needed to book a hotel for the whole family who were arriving for a family celebration in Lancaster.

Hotel was extremely well located just off the M6 with plenty of car parking spaces available. The hotel staff were very helpful and courteous and our rooms were available earlier than advertised. Apart from the 'dated' corridors our room was very clean and well presented (albeit one of the rooms was a smoking room which we had not chosen). Very good facilities in the hotel, bar area, pool etc and breakfast was very laid back apart from having to wait 20 mins to be seated (not many hotels however serve breakfast until 11am allowing a Sunday lie in which most guests obviously chose to take!).

Overall would certainly choose to stay here again for location and service

by phantom22

Overpriced, unhelpful and not up to standard

"Being a platium Prioirty club member, I booked one night for this hotel expecting the usual international standard. However, what I got was:

- an overpriced room with material problems - there was water streaming down the window frames on the inside

- with unhelpful staff - no upgrade to available exec room as platinum member (and room was available, as I ended up being moved to it at 0100 having arrived at 2200!)

- an exhorbitant internet connection - £15 for 24 hours, or $6 for and hour (when it is free and gratis in other hotels in the chain)

- a chewy dinner made with some of the fattest, gristled beef I've had the misfortune to eat

- breakfast was badly laid out - cereal and continental options were hidden to one side and the english buffet was centre stage

I did get a reduced rate due to the room problem, but the price was still alot higher than I would expect to pay at this type of hotel.

I'd advise interested parties to use this one with caution on way to somewhere else.

by lennypt

Nice leisure facilities - the rest is Alan Partridge territory

"En-route to Barrow decided to break up the journey with an overnight stay at a (apparently) nice hotel. The leisure facilities are good; nice big clean pool, small but decent gym, very modern and tidy. The bar area is old fashioned and life-less with a huge ugly plasma screen and lots of people drinking on their own. The restaurant is enormous and empty. The rooms are very simple, very ordinary and very dull. Clean (ish) bathrooms and basic/limited tv channel options. I paid £75 for a double and to be frank it's not worth it. The bar charged me £3.30 for a beer and the restaurant took me and my wife for £87 and it was an utterly forgettable gastronomic experience. In the end we spent a small fortune and I would have expected more. Very ordinary and for the money simply not good enough. I will try other Lancaster hotels on my next visit to hotel hotspot Barrow."

by Sonny66

Great Pool and Gym - shame about price

"Booked 2 nights with a "2 nights for the price of 1" offer otherwise would never choose a Holiday Inn. Generally they are of the same standard as their Express versions but they have a few more facilities.

Pleased with the overall stay and made good use of the gym, pool, sauna and steam room. However breakfast was not included in our room rate and even for "eat as much as you like" over £12 per person is expensive! Also didn't see the price of the breakfast advertised anywhere and had to ask.

Went over the road to the Brewers Fayre for tea as the prices were nearly half what the Holiday Inn was charging.

Don't mind paying for quality but not quite sure the Holiday Inn offers the quality you would expect from the prices it charges.

Good base for emploring Lancaster and surrounding areas - made it up to Windermere and Kendal.

by lcj1031

Pleasant overnight stay

"Booked direct with hotel,paid 70GBP for a double room breakfast included.We had a room facing main road.Could hear traffic noise,so if a light sleeper,ask for a room at rear overlooking river.Our bedroom decent size,with double bed,sofa(bed),table and two chairs.Everything clean,but furniture on the old side.Bar area ok,although 3.50GBP for a pint of Grolsch,I thought a little steep.Breakfast was usual self service buffet,but I thought very good quality.Only niggle,as someone who needs a gallon of coffee to wake up,no coffee machine,had to get a waitress for refills.I would stay again,no problem."

by lbalad

A disastrous experience

"A relaxing short break at this hotel on the outskirts of Lancaster close to the southern Lake District turned into an absolute disaster. The room was very basic and in need of upgrading, but adequate. The leisure centre didn't provide a sense of complete relaxation and 'feel-good factor'; it wasn't as clean and well-kept as it should be. Dinner in the restaurant was better than expected- very polite and attentive staff and the quality of food was typical Holiday Inn. The fact that children ate free of charge made the meal 'enjoyable'. During the time we spent in the restaurant somebody broke into our room by climbing on to a flat roof outside our window and then removing a large, double-glazed section of the window. We spent the rest of the evening and parts of the following month dealing with the repercussions of the break-in. The staff were very helpful and did their best to assist, providing an 'upgrade' to a room that had a window and a safe! However, the managerial approach to the incident was diabolical. The hotel gave us £50 the following morning to get us home. I had to write to the manager to ask for an apology and the hotel refused to provide three nights accommodation at another holiday inn to make up for the loss of our holiday, cut short by our departure the morning after the incident. The hotel is very close to the M6 and an easy target for thieves- beware!"

by Welshman on tour

Great Pool

"Stayed here on the way to the Lake District - Much better value than LD hotels.

Wonderful country around

Great path along the River Lune next to hotel, ideal for cycles and wheelchairs.

We had a wonderful wheelchair accessible room.

Food OK for 3 days

More work being undertaken at hotel

Pool and gym very good.

by An_English_Man

Typical Holiday Inn

"Stayed at hotel during October half term, booked a family executive room with priority club points.

Room was adequately sized and clean etc. House keeping could have been a little more attentive in certain areas, especially in ensuring glasses etc cleaned or replaced.

Gym and pool area excellent although, nit pickers may want a little more lounging room around the pool.

Communal areas clean and large, if a little darkly decorated. During week a painter was in refreshing paint on hallways etc. Bar staff were very attentive, restaurant staff not so attentive, especially at breakfast.

All in all a typical Holiday Inn experince.

If your visiting the area would recommend seeing White Scar Cave, about 30/40 mintues drive into the dales. Morecombe, nah don't bother.

by Belter67

Ok for a business trip

"I stayed overnight in late September. It was really convenient for the M6 and there was plenty of parking. The hotel overall felt rather in need of a 'make-over'. The room was fine and the gym/spa area were above standard but the overall ambience was rather tired and musty. The meal in the restaurant was good but the decor could be much, much brighter. The atmosphere in the bar/lounge reminded me of a rather smokey, old-fashioned county pub. The hotel seemed to be run on a shoe-string as far as staff were concerned, although they were all perfectly friendly. The buffet breakfast was plentiful and well presented, although service was rather impersonal. I would recommend it for a brief business stay rather than for a holiday."

by Nipley

Good standard hotel

"Stayed here for 1 night mid August - £90 per room p/n inc b/fast

Location is ok - 30 secs off J34 M6. Approx 5 mins in a cab to the centre of Lancaster (£5 max).

Hotel was modern and the room, a double non-smoking was of good size also clean.

I didnt have a drink in the bar, nor did I eat in the restaurant, therefore cannot comment on the quality - however prices did seem a little high.

Breakfast was excellent. We didnt eat till 11am and there was still plenty of food left at the self serve buffet plus more food was brought out to top up what was already there.

The hotel also has excellent leisure facilities. 15 metre swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna plus gym which looked more than adequate.

Overall service was fine and staff quite helpful.

Would definetely stay here again and with rooms starting from £65 per room per night inc b/fast - thats a very good deal.

by pool1

Good hotel due to leisure facilities

"I stay in Lancaster a lot due to business and like to try different places - I get very bored. This hotel I was not looking forward to. It looks like classic a classic 60s concrete hotel but in actual fact it's better than it looks. The rooms are functional, very clean, modern and large. Nothing too exciting but better than I imagined. The leisure suite, is however, excellent. Superb pool, gym and sauna. It looks brand new. The down sides are the restaurant (very standard), general feel of the lobby area and location (you'll end up spending £15 a day on taxi fares)."

by SteveGrafton47

Better than the local B&B's

"Firstly £65 per night for a twin room with a handsome breakfast is a great deal and will certainly contribute to the closure of many of the very dull and boring and old fashioned B&B's in Morecambe. Yes we could have got a cheaper deal at a B&B in Morecambe but not with, a pool, air conditioning, Sky TV in our room, comfy beds and very good breakfast scene..........that did not last from 7.14am until 8am as one B&B in Morecambe quoted us. (7am until 11am actually).

Lancaster has some great resturants and the whole area north of Lancaster is great for exploring. We will return and stay for a week (but not in a B&B, it's there own fault. They have to catch up or go out of business. I hope they catch up soon?).

CS