Hatherley Manor

Room: 7.5/10
Service: 8.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10
Location: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Hatherley Manor

1 2 »
Hell at Hatherley Manor

"This hotel is to be avoided at all costs! Having just stayed there for two nights running I woudl liken it to the sort of hotel usually found in an Eastern Block country. Indeed as we checked out it felt more like the 'escape' scene in a James Bond film.

We upgraded our room to an 'Executive Suite', I am fairly certain no 'Executives' have ever stayed there. The sound proofing is non-existant & if you like to hear your neighbours using the toilet in the middle of the night then this is the place for you!

Our second night was by far the worst. We didn't get a moments sleep until 1am due to a wedding being held in the hotel. The noise was so loud that by the THIRD rendition of Whitney Housten's 'I will always love you' we were considering removing our bedding & sleeping in the car. The reception was refusing to answer our phonecalls to find out what time the wedding was winding down.

The hotel 'resturant' (I use the term lightly) has a set menu depending on the number of courses that you choose. Having uncovered a long curly hair in my soup during the first course it was with some trepidation that I stayed for the second. Unfortunate really because the food was actually quite good.

The included breakfast was also disappointing. I requested porridge & was instead given a bowl of steaming milk with little or no oats to be seen.

Upon checking out we complained about the noise & standard of the room & it became very clear that they'd heard it all before.

Do yourself a favour & give this placea wide berth. The local Motor Inn would surely yield better results.

Management response from generalmanager_HMH, 12 Aug 2008

Dear sir i am sincerely sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us it is our intention to give all our guests a memorable stay please could i ak that you contact me directly stephen.trowbridge@hatherleymanor.com so that i may discuss your stay in more detail as i am unable to find any details of your booking in my system

by Not-a-backpacker0

good, but...

"Stayed one night on business. Price was very fair, room spotless and well-furnished. Staff excellent. I have stayed in many far worse hotels- but ....there were significant problems.

as others have said, food is expensive. I ate in the bar and main course was over £11 (no bread or extras). breakfast was good but if not included in deal, very dear.

walls paper thin in our part of the building (wing out towards the back).

barely enough bedding for midwinter (1 blanket, 1 cover)

hot water in short supply. other guests also found this. the system seems unable to cope with morning demand.

Loud disco music until 1am. This was early December and was evidently an Xmas party- at risk of being a Scrooge, this seems too late mid-week when they have a lot of business guests who need to get up early.

It was not, overall, as bad as all that- I would go there again if I had to stay in Gloucester, as I gathered from local contacts that there is nowhere obviously better for the price. But I might check which room and whether a disco planned.

by cat29

A super country hotel

"Stayed for four weeks while on a training course, overall well pleased with standard of hotel. Room was a comfortable size well maintained and well equiped, inc digital freeview tv. Stayed on a bed, breakfast and evening meal basis. Meals were very good with breakfast consisting of a buffet and four cooked options. Dinner also consisted of a varied choice of meals of between one and three courses. All meals were well prepared and served by friendly and efficient staff. Found all the other staff I encountered to be equally as friendy and helpfull. Only minor down side was the bar prices which I thought were a bit on the pricey side. All in all it was an enjoyable stay at a very nice country hotel."

by Jabbamiles

Great Service

"The one thing that stands out from our visit was the excellent service provided by the friendly hotel staff. Check-in was fast and the receptionist was very helpful telling us all we needed to know. Bedroom was a good size and everything was very clean.

After we had dropped off our belongings in our room, we headed down to the bar. Probably the only gripe about the hotel was the drinks prices. A large glass of wine will cost you more then £5 and a large glass of Rose will set you back more than £7. There isn't a pub within walking distance so keep those prices in mind if you do fancy a drink. The bar got busy about 8:00pm due to a wedding reception being held in one of the function rooms.

We decided against having an evening meal in the restaurant and opted for some room service instead. The food was really nice. If I stop here again i will definatley sample the food in the restaurant.

The breakfast was great! There was a selection of cereals, fruit and pastries as well as a selection of cooked breakfast items made to order. The good thing about the cooked items was the quality of the meat - the bacon and sausage were excellent.

Overall we had a very pleasant stay and would recommend this hotel.

by SEdwards2006

Cute, small hotel tucked away in a rural area outside of town.

"Booked this hotel through priceline.co.uk for a very fair price of 45 GBP when all other area hotels were booked up. The room was quite small, but functional. Bed was a bit hard and small. Furniture was nice, all solid wood. We had a 13in TV that only had about 7 channels, which would've been fine if we weren't out in the middle of nowhere with nothing else to do after dinner. Bathroom was very nice and clean, with useful amenities like a towel warmer.

The staff was very kind and considerate. Breakfast was a combination of a sit-down meal with waitstaff, and an open buffet for pastries and cereals. Not the best meal we've ever had, but not bad.

Overall, this is well worth the price we paid. An average hotel at lower than average prices.

by mtd23

The best service for a long time!

"My husband and I were transferred to this hotel after being 'overbooked' at another local hotel. At the time I was more than a little put out at having been messed around, but the Hatherley Manor more than made up for it. From the moment we walked in the door the staff were polite and respectful, and nothing was too much trouble. We were always addressed by our names and treated as individuals. The room was a little 'business like' but clean and had every amenity. The food in the restaurant was superb (and piping hot, which I like!) and the chef even came out to talk to us after our meal. There was a wedding reception on the Saturday night, but we could hear no music and were not disturbed by the extra guests - they were in the far end of the building. On reflection, I am glad we stayed here as I have since found out that the hotel we were booked into has less than favourable reviews (and I shall be adding my own comments too!). The Hatherley Manor is recommended without hesitation. A very enjoyable weekend."

by HaslemereVal

Reception staff polite but careless.

"Booked the Hatherley Manor for one night during the week. My husband and I were there on business. We chose it as it looked one of the nicest hotels in the area. The reception were very friendly when booking, and also when checking in, we arrived about 2.15 pm. We were given a room practically at the other end of the hotel which wouldnt have been so bad if we hadnt gotten there only for the cleaning staff to tell us the room had not yet been cleaned. We then trailed back to reception and waited for them to allocate another room to us. This room wasnt far away from the last one, and it was evident they had not long been refurbished. The bathroom was very nicely tiled and clean. Unfortunately the voile curtains at the window had some very nasty stains on them, and there was also a stain on the bed cover. Fortunately the room was warm and we didnt use it. This let the room down. Shame. We were overlooking the field at the side and it was fairly quiet, except for the ancient plumbing and around 7am the next morning, the cleaning staff parked most of their trolleys outside our door and they made a lot of noise shouting to each other. Another downside was that during the evening when we had just gotten ready to go downstairs around 7pm, the door suddenly opened and we found ourselves staring at a very startled gentleman who had been given our room by mistake! When we complained at reception they apologised and the duty manager offered us complimentary drinks, we said it was unnecessary but noticed on checking out that they had knocked it off the bill, they had also discounted our room by £20. The service and the quality of food at breakfast was excellent. If they could improve on the reception staff, attend to stained decor and ask the cleaning staff to keep the noise down first thing, it wouldnt be too bad."

by Mrs-JWestMids

Bad experience

"This hotel should be avoided at weekends, especially during the summer, when very noisy unsophisticated wedding receptions take place with music up to 1pm. Restaurant and bar prices totally over the top - captive audience. Not possible to open windows in downstairs rooms without serious security risk this results in hot stuffy rooms. Some rooms on first floor are remote and difficult to find. No lift. Acute shortage of twin bedded rooms. Restaurant dinner over cooked but breakfast OK. Nothing of practical use within walking distance. Only redeeming aspect is the friendliness and helpfulness of reception and other staff."

by Fred1245

Superb hotel in stunning countryside location

"From the start of booking this weekend away with friends, the hotel staff could not have been more helpful, on booking the reception staff were so helpful, explaining the various room types available to us and offering to send out the brochure and more importantly directions on how to find the hotel, which is down a beautiful country lane.

We arrived to a very warm welcome from the reception staff, and we were quickly shown to our rooms, they were not the biggest that we have stayed in, but they were warm and very comfortable and clean, which as seasoned travellers what more can you ask for.

As we were staying with friends and meeting at the hotel we decided that on our first evening we would have dinner in the hotel, and eat out on our second night, the hotel reception staff recommended a restaurant in the local town for our second evenings dinner, however we were so impressed with the food and service on our first night that we decided to cancel eating out on the second night and enjoyed a wonderful dinner on our second evening in the hotel, breakfasts on both mornings was very good I am very fussy with how I like my boiled eggs and I always ask for softly bolied which I have found most hotels cannot get right, but to my delight the eggs were served to perfection with just the right amount of hot white toast.

Overall I would have no hesitation in recommending the Hatherley Manor Hotel, the staff are a credit to the hotel, nothing was to much trouble for them, thank you to all.

by Denholm

Excellent Hotel

"My husband and held our wedding and reception at Hatherley Manor.

All our guests commented on how beautiful the venue was, and on the excellent food and service provided. The day ran smoothly and went without a hitch. All staff at the hotel are very friendly and accomodating.

The hotel has recently been refurbished and it now extremely stylish but still retains its historical charm, just with all the mod cons.

We stayed in a superior room which was amazing, and out other guests who stayed the night were extremely impressed with their rooms.

There was absolutely nothing to fault at this hotel!

by Chino1

Loved It

"I had my wedding reception at this hotel. The staff were all lovely :) The food was A* value. It was all well presented and tasted great!!

I can't fault any of the service that they provided us with.

We stayed in the four poster suite- it was lush :)

You should stay here without a doubt.

by A TripAdvisor Member

excellent Service

"My husband and I have just returned from a five day visit to the Cotswolds, staying at Hatherley Manor (Macdonalds group). The excellent service and friendly manner of all staff, particularly receptionists and restaurant staff were refreshing and a credit to the hotel. The food in the restaurant, whilst not very varied or imaginative was well cooked and presented. Our upgraded room (234) overlooked the garden at the front of the hotel and the hills and fields beyond and was large enough to have held a party! (Should we have wanted to!) The bathroom had obviously just been refurbished and again was huge.

A beautiful part of the country; we would not hesitate to stay in this hotel again.

by A TripAdvisor Member