Komaneka at Monkey Forest

Service: 9.5/10
Cleanliness: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Komaneka at Monkey Forest

Great location, Impressive staff

"My husband and I travelled to Ubud, from Seminyak for a few days - and chose the Komaneka Monkey Forest b/c of it's location. We were able to walk to Monkey Forest and tons of restaurants. There's also a great reflexology place right outside of the hotel entrance ($4 for a 40 min foot rub)

The hotel itself is very well kept and the staff are very friendly. They're the kindest people I've ever encountered.

Nice pool area. If you choose reserve a room with a dipping pool, ask if its in a shaded spot. Ours was, so it never warmed up, and we didn't get to use it...It was pretty though next to our private veranda.

The room we reserved was in a thatched hut, with no ceiling, so we had the occasional guest in our room (newts, frogs, geccos) - but considering this hotel is in the countryside, next to a rice paddy, we were fine with it.

by thedoodlegirl

Enjoyed the Komaneka

"The staff at the Monkey Forest Road are friendly and considerate. They make every effort to meet your needs.

The resort on Monkey Forest Road has an excellent location. It is in the center of Ubud. Set back from the street, you walk out of the resort directly onto Monkey Forest Road. The market and palace are a short walk (3 blocks) away. The Monkey Forest Sanctuary is 3 to 4 blocks the other direction. Excellent restaurants such as Cafe Wayan (great chocolate cake) and Three Monkeys (wonderful salads and gelato) are close by. It is very convenient for shopping and eating yet feels private and remote.

We had the standard room, which had a beautiful outdoor shower with a large, sunken tub. It also had a small garden where we could sit and read, having our afternoon tea. We enjoyed using the swimming pool which was usually empty (some of the rooms have plunge pools). They offer some free classes (learning to make offerings) and activities which were a nice bonus. The spa has a free steam shower and jacuzzi which I enjoyed but I didn't do any of the paid spa activities.

We would love to return again.

by Margaret08Seattle

Komeneka Bliss

"From the moment my husband & I walked into this hotel we totally forgot everything else. This hotel oozes tranquillity,serenity & relaxation.

We stayed for three nights in a Private Pool Villa over our wedding anniversary.

There is no detail that they have not thought of. When we were shown to our room it was the most romantic place I have ever seen.

There is even a large shopping bag for when you walk into town,bedtime stories on your bed each night,Nightgowns,turn down service. Looking over the rice fields is beautiful.

When you walk around this hotel all the staff greet you every time with a smile.We had mentioned when we checked in we were here for our anniversary & when we returned to our room that day of our anniversary they had run our marble bath & there was rose petals & frangipani flowers everywhere. With a huge heart & anniversary made out in flowers on our bed. We arranged a candlelit dinner in our room for this night & they turned up with candles & lit them all around the pool.

Breakfasts were awesome. The spa was one of the best I have used.

I have never felt more relaxed in my life. We would never stay anywhere else in Ubud again. I would think you would find it hard to find better. The staff think of everything to make your stay perfect & it was perfect.

by tanyatia

A hidden gem

"Having read some really positive feedback about this hotel on Tripadvisor, we decided to take a couple of nights out of our planned hotel stay in Nusa Dua and head inland. We weren't disappointed. It was an amazing place, tucked away just off Monkey Forest Road and within walking distance to restaurants, shops and the Monkey Forest. We chose a pool villa, as it was our honeymoon and it couldn't have been more perfect. It is a small, quiet 'boutique' style hotel. Our room was spacious and spotlessly clean. We had a sunken bath, shower, private plunge pool and veranda with private dining facilities. The breakfasts were excellent and they provide complimentary afternoon tea either by the communal infinity pool, or in your room.

We especially liked the private dining experience. On returning to our room from a day out, we found the bed turned down, clean towels, candles lit around our pool and our veranda made to look like a restaurant. We truly can't recommed this place enough.

by wobblesLancashire

So Relaxing

"We stayed for two nights in this lovely hotel at the beginning of March 2008. The hotel is situated right in the middle of Ubud on the main street but you feel as if you are in a tropical paradise as soon as you enter the hotel grounds. On arrival we were greeted with a welcome drink and the reception staff were so nice and couldn't be more helpful.

When they showed us to our room we were absolutely delighted. The king size bed had a heart of flowers displayed on it. We were on the ground floor with the porch looking out to the rice paddies. Unfortunately there was some construction work being done to a nearby house which spoiled the tranquil atmosphere (not the hotel's fault) if you wanted to relax out on the porch. The room was extremely clean. In the early evening the staff would come and 'turn down' your room for you. Fresh nightwear would be laid out and they would get your room prepared for sleeping.

The swimming pool though small, was very nice. It was one of the horizon pools and the end of the pool looked like it overflowed into a tropical forest. If you wanted to leave the cares of the world behind then this pool is the place to do it.

Being in the centre of Ubud allowed us to stroll to the shops and cafés. Our favourite cafe was Café Wayan which was very close to the hotel. The prices were reasonable, the food was beautiful, the staff were friendly and the grounds were exquisite. Relaxing in this beautiful café is something that made our trip to Ubud so special.

The only negative about this hotel was the breakfast. On the first morning our toast was brought out a long time after we finished everything else and it was stone cold. The next morning we ordered all the different sections of food and then the cereal, fruit, toast and hot food were all brought out at the same time. This was surprising for a hotel that excelled in attention to detail.

All in all we really enjoyed our time in Ubud and if we visit again we would definitely stay in this beautiful hotel. However, we would eat breakfast in one of the cafés.

by Pollys_Adelaide

Good Hotel but Skip the Spa

"We recently stayed at Komaneka Monkey Forest in one of their 2 suite rooms.

Overall, we had a restful time and the room was modern and very comfortable, with a great view of the rice fields beside the resort.

The service was also very good. Everyone we greeted was cheerful and polite and efficient. What was most impressive, however, was their attention to detail. Every night, they laid out freshly washed pajamas for us on the bed alongside a small pamphlet with a bedtime story. One night, we had to move the small 14 or 15 inch TV closer to the bed so that we could watch TV while lying in bed. The next day, when we returned to our room after a jaunt outside,we noticed that housekeeping had replaced our TV with a much bigger one!

We booked the honeymoon package which included a spa treatment for the 2 of us. We decided to enjoy this on the last day before we flew off but, unfortunately, this was the only thing that left us with a bad impression of the resort. To begin with, the spa changing room had no doors and was accessible to both men and women. As the changing / bathrooms were wet due to the rain, we had to change in the main area of the changing room, during which the staff (both men and women) kept walking in and out. We were then led to a semi outdoor spa room which was small and sparsely furnished. As it had been raining before that, the floor was wet and the kimonos they issued us and the batik cloth they used to cover the bed and us were musty smelling. Without asking us before hand, they assigned us a male and female masseuse. During the course of the massage, which I felt was mediocre at best, our masseuse kept chatting with each other, which disrupted the peace. They also committed the cardinal sin of massages, they did not wash their hands before massaging our face and heads after they massaged our feet and bodies. I felt pretty disgusted by this and declined to have the masseuse massage my face. The prices charged by the spa are at least 10 times more than that charged by neighbouring spas within walking distance of the hotel and I felt that the service and facilities should have been commensurate to the premium.

Given a choice, I would probably stay at Komaneka again, mostly for the wonderful service and great location but would steer clear of the spa.

by Snowrose

Almost perfect stopover

"Almost perfect.....We had a 2 week holiday in Bali, with 3 stops at similarly priced accomodation. Mandira in Legian, Komaneka in Ubud and Melia Benoa in Nusa Dua. The Komaneka was a hands down winner. They were better in so many ways, this was probably helped a bit by the fact that they were much smaller than the other two hotels but they still did all the little things that gave a human touch to the place. Certainly not as grand as the Mandira and Melia Benoa, this hotel was still very well presented. It is tucked away on Monkey Forest road and you wouldn't know you were on a main road till you walked out the front. We were lucky enough to get a ground floor room, overlooking the rice paddy next door. The room is beautifully presented and with the flowers on the four poster bed, you are taken as soon you enter. There are also more expensive rooms that have their own plunge pool but we were happy enough on the great general pool that is available for all guests. It is only small but it is a great looking pool, with very nice poolside lounges......no pool lounge, hogging happened here, what a great relief.

Location wise it is right on one of the main streets and you can walk to most places quite easily. Shop owners are not as aggressive as in Legian, so you start to chill out a bit and enjoy the shops for what they have. We loved Ubud and bought home two nice oil paintings. Restaurants were ok, a tad more expensive than Legian, just a little too laid back for my liking. Early March is very quiet and in a couple of places we were the only customers but you still had to catch the eye of the waiting staff to get service....but that is not the hotels problem.

As well as the flowers on the bed, the hotel does lots of little things, like little welcome gifts, birthday cake and song for my wife, afternoon tea that can be taken by the pool, in the small eating area or in your room. Service is fantastic....the only reason I have gone from perfect to almost perfect is that they do a really ordinary breakfast. Rather than the big hotel buffet type brekky, you order a continental, Indonesian or American brekky. It comes out in no particular order, toast was cold to warm, bacon, hash browns and tomatoes were just ordinary. For such a great little hotel, they just need to ramp up the breakfasts to get a perfect from me. Loved it.

by willnino

Amazing!

"I can not speak more highly of our stay at Komaneka in Monkey Forest Road. We were fortunate enough to stay in a Pool Villa which was absolutely amazing. The staff are simply divine & the location is second to none.

We were trying to choose between 2 hotels before we decided on Komaneka and I am so happy we did. In fact, I am planning to return again later this year.

I urge all of those contemplating a visit to Ubud and Komaneka Resort to definately do it. You wont regret it!

by PerthSchatzi

Absolutely Perfect --however, beware of billing methods

"We stayed at Komaneka Resort from 2/9-2/14/08 and we were completely impressed. Even though it is on the main street in Ubud---the minute you step foot into the resort, you could be a million miles away. The service is awesome and the rooms were wonderful. I would definitely stay at this place again and again....IF, they would change the way they conduct billing. Here is the deal: When I called to book a room, I was quoted in American dollars. When I got to the hotel, they converted that Amerian dollar figure into a Rupiahs (bad exchange rate) and then billed Rupiahs to my credit card and then the credit card comapny changed it back into dollars. In addition, my card charged me a fee for doing this. The room ended up costing about 10% more per night. Not a huge deal, but, it all adds up when you are traveling for a long time. You can request and demand that a hotel not do this and after we left Komaneka, we made sure that it didn't happen again."

by carriegus

Komaneka lived up to reports

"After reading about Komaneka on trip advisor we contacted the property directly after arriving in Bali. We wanted a week in Ubud and hoped they would accommodate with some discount off rack rate for the week. They did, and we were delighted with our splurge -- we stayed in the 'deluxe room' which is their most affordable option and it gave us PLENTY of room. It came with the extras like the flowers decorating the bed (see other reviews) and lots of details we haven't seen elsewhere -- a rack for umbrellas outside the front door, extra umbrellas in the lobby in case you forget to take one and it is obvious the rain is coming, the ability to take breakfast (or afternoon tea) in your room for no extra charge, among other things. They also were just kind staff, and we felt they were actually interested in us as people -- not always expected from higher-end places. If we ever go back to Bali, we'll stay here."

by sastoon