Alba Royal Hotel

Value: 9.5/10
Cleanliness: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Alba Royal Hotel

wow

"From the moment we arrived and were met by guest services nothing seemed too much trouble, they were sorry that we had to be upgraded to a Superior room (Sorry?)

This hotel is set up as over 14's only, made a nice change

Before meeting our rep the following day they had told us where to get food, the mini bar was free and topped up daily, we could book the a la carte restaurant free (as part of the all inclusive option) where the bars were etc

It was about 4pm and too early for the main restaurant, however the snack bar serving Pizzas, kebabs, chicken, salads and drinks as well as ice creams was open and all freshly cooked (made) - a small but nice point, real glasses (not the usual plastic ones) real cutlery and table cloths, no queing waiters only too happy to serve, no tips required.

Main restaurant - Always salads huge variety, always fish, meats (either bbq'ed or as stew) variety of vegetables, pasta, and desserts.

Drinks brought to table by the waiters, and a huge choice of breads.

Don't expect English breakfasts (its Turkey) fresh O Juice (squeezed from Oranges in front of you) fresh eggs all styles, hams, cheeses, breads,

In Hotel shops - Ahmed at the photo shop, will do fantastic photos at around sunset, you then choose if or how many you want very good quality and not a bad price, also haggle for the cd to bring them home and print yourselves cheaper.

Dr Mehmet at the Gold shop, very knowlageable and good prices, again haggle on price but can get purpose made items within a couple of days.

Annimation team, what can I say, they worked like Trojans, normally we like a quiet holiday, but we joined in with most things, Aquarobics, Pilates (never done before, they didn't laugh too much) Darts, Shooting, French boules etc, shows at night were great, they stayed in the night-club till midnight, during the days they would also just sit and chat either by the pool or at food times where they also ate in the restaurants.

Be aware there are lots of Germans there (approx 85%) but very friendly, no problems with loungers, hotel provides towels,

Using the Dolmush was very easy, pick up just outside the hotel, goes to Side or Manavgat for 3-4 TL pp

I went Scuba diving with Silver dive school, collected by minibus and taken to a boat at Side, great & V professional, lunch provided,

Going to Manavgat market & waterfall trip, Thomas Cook wanted £30 each, we got the same trip from a stand at the harbour in Side for 12.5 Euro each (approx £11) also collected from the hotel (note that we only got 1.5hrs at the market)

Haggle for everything start at 70% of the asking price and you will normally get the items for 30-50%

Only down side Thomas Cook flight very cramped leg room, also be aware not much seating at Antalya airport on the way home.

otherwise what a fantastic holiday, would love to go back.

• Holiday details: Apr 2011, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: check out Side, shops and free ancient monuments
by Mike B

Lovely new hotel, nice staff, beautiful outlook, private beach. The only review you'll need!

"The Alba Royal is one of three Alba Hotels all next to each other in Colakli, which is a lovely coastal resort near Antalya in Turkey. The Alba Resort is the slightly more budget hotel, not sure where the Alba queen fits into the equation but the Alba Royal is certainly amost faultless in most areas. It's an all inclusive hotel. However, be careful as there are plenty of chargable things on site - I'll mention them below.

Architecture

Stunning marble hallways and floors. No expense spared in building this place. Great Turkish workmanship.

Rooms

We stayed in standard rooms which were a reasonable size and served their purpose. There's a mini bar which is refilled every day with soft drinks. Our room had a balcony overlooking the pool and beach. I'll try and remember to put a photo in my review. There's a flat screen TV, showing mostly Turkish and German channels. CNN and one or two others were in English.

The Rooms have air conditioning. I've heard the air con isn't normally centrally switched on the whole time but it was for us - just make sure you have the patio door closed, wait 30 seconds or so and the air con can be switched on. It's a must as the country is very hot! Especially at night, and it means you don't need to leave the door open for the mosquitos to come in!

The rooms have a bath and a shower as well as the basin and toilet.

Restaurants (all food included)

Oh. My. Word. A breakfast buffet that is huuuuge, although no pork to be seen as it's Muslim. I really missed my bacon and sausages! No baked beans either. Must be a British thing. The breakfast and dinner buffets are served in one restaurant, the lunch buffet (as big as dinner) served in the one at poolside level. Everything from fruits, cheeses, soups, loads of breads, a full bar, hot dishes, veg, salads, a grill serving different BBQ food every day. A good range of the exceedingly sweet and syrupy Turkish puddings (still not sure what the "Cake with wet" actually was!) although I was disappointed not to see a Rum Baba whilst I was there. And yes, you do occasionally get the wonderful Doner meat on the grill! I ate myself silly whilst I was there.

There are also A la Carte restaurants (included). Turkish, Austrian and Cuban. Book them at reception if you want to use them as they will get booked out by other guests. Unfortunately the Austrian restaurant wasn't open much so we couldn't get in there but we enjoyed the Turkish and Cuban ones although I'd say Cuban food isn't that special on this evidence. The buffet restaurant is so good though that you don't miss much if you just go there every night.

The Pools

A good large pool area with a reasonable amount of sun beds (free). You need to get your towel (beach towels provided free by the hotel) down there early in peak season - we found 8am was good to get 5 together although you'll still get odd ones and pairs after that. There is a lovely pool bar, which serves lunches as well - not bad either. And you can get good ice creams all afternoon. It's always worth asking for bottled water at the bars, good for your room too and you need to keep hydrated as it's always in the 30's in summer.

There was also a nice indoor pool.

Bars (all local drinks included)

All of the bars stock Tuborg on tap - a Danish lager. It was fine at 4.4%. All the spirits aren't the usual brands you'd expect - it is all inclusive though so it's still not bad. If you like beer you can ask for large beers indoors, otherwise they are served in 330ml glasses. They also do cocktails at most bars - Mojito wasn't on the list but they were happy to make it for me.

Evening Entertainment

They have dancing shows (free) on in their amphitheatre most nights. They have a couple of musicians that played twice - looked like Dolly Parton's daughter and Brian May! Their music wasn't to my taste - cheesy covers of unremarkable songs, although mostly in English. There was also a Karaoke night and a Bingo night.

Clientele

Mainly Germans - about 85% I'd say. We also bumped into some very pleasant Dutch and Belgian people out there. The Germans all seem very nice too. I'm 32 and the friends I was with were around that age and slightly older. In general we were some of the youngest there. There were younger couples and a few families but it's a "no kids" hotel and it was mostly aged 40's and 50's couples.

Sports

You can play Tennis (racquets chargable) on their astroturf style court, if you can stand the heat. There is a table tennis table (free) near the pool in the shade. The Animation team are always organising Darts (free) and Air Rifle (free) competitions.

At the beach there is Jet Ski and Banana boat rides (both chargable). There's also beach volleyball - not sure if you need to pay for that. The sand on the beach was too hot to walk on when we were there.

Currency

It's Turkish Lira but everything is priced in Euros! You can spend both, but just take what you can get a decent rate on really.

Spa (all chargable)

You can have massages, facials, turkish baths plus other bits and pieces.

Staff

As I mention, the staff in general are really nice. You don't have to tip them but it makes a lot of difference! A couple of them we suddenly our best friends after a tip! In the buffet restaurant, if you always sit in the same area, the same member of staff tends to cover that area (clearing plates, bringing drinks). Tip them early on and you'll find your drinks arrive a lot quicker! Money goes further in Turkey so a 10 Lira tip per person (about £4) will last you several days.

Outside of the hotel

Don't bother with the aqua park, it wasn't very good and the charge card system they use was confusing. The food there was expensive and ordinary as well. There's one or two bars in Colakli but you're best off just staying in the hotel drinking the free booze really!

Excursions

I'd use the Thomas Cook (or whoever you book with) rep if I were you. We booked to go to the Aqua park with one of the kiosks outside of the hotel. Yes, it was cheap but we ended up being taken to a Jewellery and Leather store for an hour with no choice. It took over 3 hours to get to the water park in the end - a journey that should take less than 1 hour. The three cities trip we booked through Thomas Cook was much better.

However, the Thomas Cook rep was pretty ordinary. He told us that there were hardly any shops outside the hotel to try and get us to book a trip but there are more than enough - all selling imitation designer gear. Always barter - half the price they ask for and if they're not interested - walk away. I got some "Adidas" sports shorts for £4. You'll get bargains if you're patient.

Insects

There are lots of mosquitos and other blood feeding insects around. Sleep with the patio door closed and the air con on. In the evenings you can't avoid the occasional bite if you reveal flesh. Take some insect repellent and bite soothing cream. I don't think the insects are harmless aside from that - no Malaria.

Room service was chargable. There was a free gym.

To sum up...

at £550 all inclusive including flights and transfers I think it was a bargain. You can't fail to love this hotel.

by Banksman

Lovely hotel let down by easy to fix problems

"First let me set out my stall I was looking for an all inclusive hotel, which didn't cater for families the Royal Alba meets that need although at times the Queen Alba looked to be having more fun and interaction.

There was a lot about the hotel which was very good or excellent and expected of a "5 star" hotel

- Food in buffet as well as the Al a carte was hot, tasty and lots of selection

- Bar service was excellent with regular non asked for top ups and not looking for tips especially Basar at the -1 floor bar

- Always plenty of hot water and excellent room house keeping

- Plenty of sun beds with a clean and well cared for pool area. Gardens are beautiful and very clean

- Good selection of wine with meal and always offered coffee after the meal

- Food disco however as it doesn't open until 11.pm always empty

Now the areas that need improvement

- Poor reception staff unhelpful and not able to change large notes if you wanted to tip

- Air conditioning is the biggest let down - turns itself off at 7am so by the time you get up you the room is unbearable. Not on again until after 4.00pm and regularly off for no reason. Has to be fixed for me to visit again as previously stated most guest northern European and not used to high temperature

-Tooth picks not available at meal times and should be in a 5 star hotel

- Entertainment sometimes so poor felt like goods waiting room, by not having children you should be able to offer entertainment suitable for adults and not rely on miming to backing tracks with some albeit very able dancers

- Photographer that couldn't speak English but still wanted to sell you pictures which at £7.50 a tad expensive. So if you win a competition just take the free photo as it all adds up

In saying all the above we had a fantastic time but felt it is was often the warmth and helpfulness of the staff that made the holiday and not supported by reception or management. Where in the brochure was I told only to expect very limited A/C?

Side is a lovely area full of history with most shops selling the usual Turkish copies but trying to get you to pay top price and delivers a chill week in the sun

White water rafting was excellent value at 20 euros each

by Taffy45

great hotel and facilities, had a few issues though

"I have recently got back from this hotel i went for a week in may 2009 and stayed in the honeymoon suite. the hotel its self is stunning, exteremely clean and the waiters and staff are brilliant, they make you feel really at ease and cant do enough for you. the food is very good and a huge selection. 3 set meal times a day but you can order from a smaller menu from the pool or beach bar through the day which is all inclusive and food very nice.

i booked through thomas cook and found it to be very well organised and hassle free. i did however find a few issues, the reception staff are very unhelpful, on the fifth day you could only have the aircon on for 4 hours per day ( a new rule they inforced ). Also on my checkout day i left the room at midday and couldnt keep my room on so was sitting round until 11pm for the coach to pick me up. when i asked reception could i keep room on they kept saying ask on the day of checkout, so felt like they kept fobbing me off.

The shop which is in the hotel is extremely expensive, a few times i walked out as the prices were rediculous, also watch the jewellers onsite their very pushy. I also found the animation team ( the onsite reps ) very annoying, they constantly hassle you to do activites and go to the live shows and games which are a poor standard. They hassled me so much i was eventually rude and they still didnt get the hint.

i dont want to sound too negative as it was a superb holiday and i really enjoyed it, everything was excellent, just the unhelpful reception staff and the hounding from the animation team but a damper on an otherwise excellent holiday!

by griffengland

Fantastic place to chillout

"Tip the guys at the Tuna bar for much better service, you don't have to but then service is slow. Appart from that this was one of the best hotels I have been to for years. I went to relax and not think and it was perfect for that."

by Dave-dare

Lovely relaxing holiday in a fine hotel with friendly and helpful staff.

"My wife and I have just returned from a week at the royal alba. We had not been to Turkey before and were unsure of how the 5 star rating would hold up against other countires although were very pleased with the country, resort and Hotel.

The first thing to mention is how friendly and helpful the staff were. They could not do enough for you and no one expected tips which is often the case even with all inclusive. We did leave a few tips as did many guests buth this was certainly not tken for granted.

The room was immaculate and thoroughly cleaned each day as were all communal areas, toilets etc. The beach is also cleaned regularty and is sandy and slopes not too steeply making it nice and safe. Entertainment staff did their very best to kep everyone happy all day although the evening programme was a bit basic. This was still the winter timtable though and they were all rehearsing hard for the summer show which looked as though it would be much bigger and better.

It is worthy of note to confirm that there were no children at all in the hotel and that there was about 90% german occupancy.

Food was good and varied although probably not quite the five star catgory. The best food we had all week was the turkish all la carte. This must be booked soon after arrival.

All in all we think it merits its 4.5 rating and would go back in a minute. We paid £600.00 for the easter week with good flight times in easter from Manchester with Thomas cook.

by graham895

Good Hotel but with problems

"We booked the Alba resort but the entire hotel was closed except for two floors of rooms. All services and amenities would be catered in the hotel next door, The Alba Royal (Owned by the same person). For the first day we were made to walk through the mold infested basement; through the hydro and servant quarters in the dark in order to get to our dark floor. This was close to 300 meters up and down a long ramp with low ceilings. After 3 hours at reception refusing to take no for an answer we got upgraded to a room in the Royal if we promised not to say anything to anyone about it. Apparently they upgraded 90 percent Alba Resort guests to the Alba Royal ultra-all inclusive but now they were running out of rooms. The Alba Royal is billed as an Ultra all inclusive 5 star resort but it was missing some fundamentals; little things like no Kleenex tissues in the room. Squeeze your own juice or pay 2 Euros for them to do it at Breakfast. No fresh juice for the rest of the day. No proper food after 9:30 in the evening. We arrived at 9:30pm from an overnight trip and had to wait until 11:30pm to get any food. They have a midnight "soup” but this is clearly set up for drunks and not a proper snack. The proper chef is not there and I think the staff resent setting it up. Although we were there perfectly on time the bowls of olives and cheese seemed to be leftovers. the grilled cheese sandwiches were soggy and heated from the steam in the pan. The mini croissants were brittle and stale. When we complained, the reception was extremely helpful. The night manager spoke with his staff and assured me it will be looked into. He insisted that the cook make us some fresh ones. After about 10 minutes the waiter brings in a bunch more sandwiches, walks right by us and put them in the pan along with the others. When we picked them up they were totally cold and not even grilled properly. We didn't bother to complain further (language barrier) and ordered the room service (which is about 2.50euros for each item ordered). The chicken burger came and it was seriously not warm AT ALL. It was all quite funny at this point but what can you do..... I don't think the management really has control over their staff in this regard.

POSITIVES:

Beautiful sea view upgrade for 10 euro per day

Meals taken at the a la carte restaurant have a very good “house wine” that admittedly is not served in the normal bars

Mostly courteous and helpful staff

Great housekeeping

family friendly

NEGATIVES:

This is a 90% German visited hotel and caters to this language.

Trip advisor web site seemed blocked

There are only two main bars located on top of each other and look identical in set up.

Overall we had a lovely room with above average food but a five star rating should not be given indiscriminately based on a lovely lobby or grounds. Service and amenities should be a strong consideration. We may shop around a bit before we would take this one again.

by tvdude

our turkish honeymoon

"i have just returned back today 6th october from the alba royal hotel and overall had a great time.

As this was our honey moon we were very fortunate and had a room on the top floor 1530 ,which had a massive double bed which is unusual in turkey and also wine and fruit on arrival. Although our arrival time as usual was horrendous 6.30am from glasgow the previous night the reception staff dealt with us quickly although we did have to find our room ourself the bellboy did bring up luggage later.We're still waiting on the ice cream.

as this area is mainly german we knew what to expect but were travelling with friends so had company in the evening.

Having stayed at the stone palace last year and despite the head chief having come from there i have to agree with previous review there was just something missing in dining rooms.

Although all the waiters speak german initially they will try to converse in english and are very accomodating.

We were there for two weeks and did try the al a carte we did not like the food as it was not to our taste ,cold fish with salad in the turkish did not appeal to us and we were not told that this main dish is served very cold.

The staff and cleanliness overall was excellent and we had no trouble getting sunbeds at the pool.

In comparison to the stone palace we did find the animation team very amateur for a five star standard and felt that the team in stone palace last year were far superior.

Colakli seemed very quiet this time and we visited both side and kumkoy and if your looking for bargains i'm afraid the pound is too weak and the best price for a proper leather handbag was £45 avoid the very soft shiny looking ones (they're only worth 10-20pounds)

Ciggies varied and as our friends found out, as we don't smoke ,best price for west cigs was 14 euros.

Avoid the Spa in Hotel as with all we tried but what we were promised was not what we were given for price and while we were supposed to be resting they tried to sell us more !

Pedicure and manicure can be had for 15-17euros (for both)down town but standard and level varies.

Found evening entertainment a bit poor for 5star, although we prefer to play cards anyway.

While on holiday my husband suffered from a tummy bug ,none of the rest of us were affected and as he is diabetic , it may have been a one off. Although if you are diabetic make it known to the waiters as you can occasionally get the wrong type of cola . Always ask for cola-light and make it clear diabetic.

The rep we had i felt was not very informative and we had to wait from monday to wednesday to meet him , he seemed not very well informed of the area to have been there 4 years !

We wanted to book the select gullet cruise on the wednesday/thursday which went on the sat and it was fully booked (35pounds app) so he said the swim and sizzle was almost the same (28pounds)except you had no towels and coffee and cake pm. Sorry we didn't find that to be the case and no diet drinks on board meant my husband had nothing other than water for the duration of the trip.

we booked on the beach with the boot tours and spent from 8.30 -6pm meal included ,better boat and sunbeds ,for 12pounds and travelled much further if you like a boat trip shop around.

We did mention the fact about the drinks to the rep ,but felt he wasn't very interested although he did make a phone call to the last day trip cruise to request this and it did make a difference as

he was offered diet drinks.

The last day you check out at 12noon our pick up was not until 2.30next morning.On asking we were told we could keep room until 10pm for 50 euros but if wanting to keep it any time after that it was considered another day and price went to 90euros each !!

So we opted for lazy day which was a trip to kemer and trip on boat this was better from the sleep and shower point of view ,i cant comment on the basic accom. as we opted to pay an extra 20 pounds each for 5 star which although a bit unusual hotel meal was included and excellent but not drinks (water 5 lira lge bottle) Bar tariff very steep 3 brandy colas and one cola came to 61 lira .

I feel i am grumbling but i have tried to point out some of the pit falls and be honest.

Overall i enjoyed our stay and it was a lovely setting with the beach very close less than 5 mins walk from beach bar.

Do try and learn a very little of the language it works wonders and the rappor with the staff is very good .

by campbellScotland

Fatastic Hotel

"Flight

Our outgoing Flight was with Sun Express from Exeter Airport. We checked in 2 hours prior to departure and were informed that there were no seats together left. All passengers received a free in-flight meal which is of poor quality. Therefore there is no need to pay for in-flight meals via your travel agent. The cabin crew were quite frankly rude and unhelpful. One passenger had paid for a vegetarian meal to which the response was “This is all we have” and proceeded to serve him a standard meal. A movie was shown on the flight out and two movies on the return flight. Small TV screens flip down from overhead and can be very difficult to see depending on where you are sat. Headphones are provided at a cost of 3 Euros, although standard headphones will still work.

Antalya Airport

The airport is clean and modern. On arrival in Turkey you will need to hand over a UK £10 note per person for your visa. A word of warning the food and drink in the airport is extremely expensive, A Burger King meal for 2 people cost 24 Euros! You are permitted to take liquids on board your return flight even if these are bought from outside the airport.

Transfer to Hotel

Thomas Cook provided a coach transfer to our Hotel. The Hotel is the first stop and is located approximately 50 minutes from the airport. The coaches are air conditioned and drinks can be bought on board.

Alba Royal Hotel

The Hotel is located in Colakli and approximately 25 minutes from the centre of Side. The Hotel is the smallest of the three hotels in the Alba chain which are all located next to each other. It is the only Alba hotel which has direct access to the beach.

You will be greeted with an ice cream on arrival and the bell boy will show you to your room. We stayed in room 2233 which is at the back of the hotel overlooking the Alba Hotel. The room is very modern with a variety of amenities. There is a large LCD TV which has a variety of channels. A large proportion of the channels are in German. However there was CNN, BBC World News, MTV, Eurosport, and BBC Prime showing programmes like Eastenders. We took a portable DVD player so that we could watch DVD’s through the TV on an evening. The mini bar is stocked with Water, Pepsi and Sprite. The content is free and replenished daily. The beds are single beds pushed together, with a stiff sheet similar to a table cloth instead of a quilt. There is an in-room safe. This is charged at 1.75 Euros per night and you will need to notify reception if you want to use this. A word of warning you will need to use the safe to be covered by your travel insurance. There is a wardrobe with about 7 coat hangers so you may want to take some of your own. The bathroom has a shaver point and a hairdryer. Our only criticism with the room was the noise from the entertainment at the Alba Hotel, this was extremely loud and didn’t finish until 11pm, this may be an issue for families with younger children.

The majority of Hotel guests are German, so much so that staff and waiters at the hotel will initially speak to you in German until you tell them otherwise. The buffet is one of the most extensive that I have ever seen and will cater for all tastes. There are three A’la Carte restaurants, Cuban, German and Turkish. The food is of a high standard but the service is a little too efficient meaning that you may finish your 3 course meal in 30 minutes.

You are informed on arrival that you cannot reserve your sun loungers until 8am each day. We found that by 7.45 am most sun loungers were taken, and people frustratingly took more than they needed so they had the option of sitting in the shade or the sun.

The entertainment team are fantastic. There are a variety of activities that you can take part in should you choose too. We especially enjoyed the airgun shooting. At midday every day the entertainment team will get people to take part in a pool game, if this is not your thing just decline.

The pool bar serves ice cream, drinks and food from 10am. I would particularly recommend the Pizza’s and Chicken skewers,

The evening entertainment includes shows such as Grease and the Lion King. The dialogue is usually in German with the songs in English. The shows are very amateur but worth seeing even if just once.

There is ten pin bowling within the Hotel and costs 5 Euros per person per game. There are a few shops within the hotel but be warned Nivea Sun cream costs 16 Euros so buy it before you go.

Overall this hotel is fantastic, it exceeded our expectations and I would highly recommend it.

by Traveller2007Uk

Lovely Hotel/Great Holiday

"Stayed for one week during July and had a wonderful time. Check-in smooth and everything explained about the all-inclusive package at the hotel. We had booked a superior room which, although a little on the small size did have a full view of the sea/pool. Everything kept to a high standard of cleanliness.

Mohammed (from London) at Guest Relations is a fab guy and nothing too much trouble for him. He will help you with anything you need to know and also booked the a la carte restaurants for us. Both the buffet and Turkish restaurant (did not try the others) offered fantastic food and service.

Hotel right on the beach and only a short walk away from shops. The Animation Team are great and work extremely hard, they are very friendly and could not do enough for guests. The entertainment shows in the evening very professional - loved Lion King!

All in all a super holiday and would not hestiate to return or recommend.

by tigerlily102

Beautiful Hotel

"I have just spent a week at the Alba Royal Hotel and enjoyed every minute of it. The flight times are awful though and as we didn't arrive until almost 4pm we were very tired indeed. The check in was quick and painless and we were shown straight to our room (with our cornetto - you will find out when you get there)!

The Room was nice and clean, some have said they were on the mall side but I can't say I was bothered by this, or even noticed it for that matter. There was a large wardrobe (only 10 hangers between us) and possibly not enough drawer space, although we managed fine for our week. There was a window between the room and shower room, which I couldn't see the point of, although there was a venetion blind there. I don't know about you but I don't really want to watch my hubby and his ablutions!! The shower was powerfull but there were no shower gel/shampoo dispensers, or shower cap so you will need to take your own. The bed was clean and comfortable but there was only an ill fitting cover (which I describe as table cloth material) and no other sheet or blanket (we didn't bother to ask for any more but I am sure they would provide something if you did ask). The balcony was pleasant to sit out on. The mini bar restocked with water and soft drinks every day. Air con worked fine and was quiet.

The Pool / Sun Loungers

This has to be one of the nicest pools I have been in. It was large so there was ample swimming space. It was warm so you didn't dread getting in and you could stay in there for ages. There didn't seem to be any shortage of sun loungers although they do tend to get reserved around the 7.30-8 am mark. In saying that there always seemed to be spare ones. There were also plenty of sun loungers at the beach but we didn't make use of those so I can't really comment about availability. The sea was lovely and warm too. Please, please take care at the pool bar because the marble floor is very very slippy when wet (they are always mopping it but it is inevitable that it will be mostly wet), if you wear flip flops take extra care there and on any of the other marble floors.

The restaurants

Buffet Restaurant: There was the usual variety of salads, cheeses, hot dishes and sweets and plenty for everyone. The breakfast buffet consisted of the usual fruit, meats, cheeses, breads, eggs but no bacon or sausages as it is muslim . There also wan't a baked bean in sight!! There is a fresh juice bar which was self service and very popular.

Speciality Restaurants:

There are 3 and you can book at each once a week but they get booked up quickly (and I am not surprised) so you need to get in quick. We didn't try the Schnitzel so can't comment on that, although others said it was lovely.

The Turkish meal was lovely, 5 courses, so go hungry. The only downside to this was that the restaurant is part inside and part out. They tend to sit you outside, which in theory is lovely) but in practice it was so hot it was unbearable (34 C the evening in question and very humid). We had to ask to go inside in the end as the heat was spoiling the evening). They obliged without question and we moved inside mid meal. They offer you a wine list and this will cost you approx £15 per bottle. It is up to you of course but the house wine (Tilsim) in the restaurants is fine (we are wine drinkers so know good from bad), and this is all inclusive.

The Cuban restaurant is based on the same as the Turkish and is inside and out. This time we stayed inside and the whole evening was throughly enjoyable. The meal was absolutely beautiful, four courses) and I can't recomment it enough, you will need to try for yourselves. If you are outside in the restaurants you will need to be well sprayed as people did get bitten at these times, we escaped unscathed but were just covered up enough that particular night -and lucky.

Pool and Beach Bar Restaurant

Meals served from a menu, quite nice but a bit samey if you are going for 2 weeks it could get boring.

The Beach

Lovely beach for long walks - very warm water so it was always full of people having fun in the sun. We didn't spend time on the beach other than walking so unfortunately I can't comment on the activities there. There were plenty of water sports going on, if that is your thing then there will be plenty to do.

We found the flight times really bad - we haven't done night flights before and thought we missed out on one day. You had to check out of your room by 12pm and we didn't get picked up from the hotel until 12.05am. You can use the AI facilities until you leave and use the spa centre to get showered and changed (there is a hair dryer but no plug for straightners etc) but this didn't appear to be air conditioned and by the time I had finished drying my hair I needed another shower!! We were unable to get a late checkout (which is only till 5pm and was 25 euro) as the hotel was full. The flight was the most cramped we have been on in a long time (we flew with Thomas Cook) and wished we had asked for extra leg room - so if you are tall take note, you have been warned!! The in flight meal not brilliant but edible. The return flight was delayed 2 hours which meant we didn't fly until 6am so we were shattered by then.

To sum up, lovely holiday, clean, comfortable hotel, very friendly staff and we found them very willing to learn any new english word you are prepared to teach them. The resort is definately German orientated but we found plenty of English mates while there. The drinks were international brands, I think there was an extra charge for branded ones but I am not sure. We though the drinks were ok and also tasted some very strange but nice ' special cocktails - they make them up as they go along and have a not so sneaky taste themselves!! The Tilsim wine was ok but is not always served in the bars so you will need to watch out for that, (the other wine was putrid - sorry but there is no better way of putting it!!). Speciality Restaurants well worth every visit you can book. The thing which let it down for us was the buffet restaurant for breakfast, lunch and evening meals. Don't get me wrong as there was plenty for everyone but it just had something lacking and I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it is because we have been to a lot of other hotels, both 4 and 5 star where the variety and quality have been far superior to this. It is for this reason that I would not give the hotel its 5* rating, although the pool and grounds certainly make up for it. (I would love to hear if anyone else agrees with me on this, or if I am just being too fussy).

Sorry to have gone on a bit but as there are no other reviews here yet I thought it might be useful.

You will have a fab time here and am I jealous of you going - hell yes!!

by amadeusNewcastle

Read 283 additional reviews of Alba Royal Hotel

Map for Alba Royal Hotel Closest airport: Antalya Havalimani (AYT) 24 miles

Alba Royal Hotel photos (3 traveller photos)