Houda Golf & Beach Club Hotel

Stayed at Houda Golf & Beach Club Hotel?

Share your opinion and write a review

Good

Service: 7.5/10
Food: 6/10
Location: 6.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Houda Golf & Beach Club Hotel

Enter your dates:

« 123 24 25 26 27 »
The hotel was what one associate with... by D Taylor

The hotel was what one associate with a 3*. Basic, but adequate rooms of a good size, cleaned daily, bed linen changed every other day and towels every day.

Food was OK considering that they are catering for in excess of 2000 people daily. But did become a bit repetitive.

A good selection of pools for all ages, and all very clean. Music around the pool a bit to loud for our tastes.

Animation team was very good and very entertaining for the children. However the evening shows were somewhat poor -- very poor, but adding additional fun to the holiday.

Beach was very clean and the sea clear on most days. Watersports were very well organised and safety was always a priority. Sun loungers on the beach are getting a bit tired and could do with replacing.

Overall we would recommend this hotel for a good family beach/pool type of holiday, or for those wanting a bit of late sun before our British winter weather.

great holiday by MackersLeeds_UK

me and my wife stayed at the Houda Beach hotel, had an excellent time

The bar and pool staff were excellent and friendly (especially when we kept going back for more Vodka all the time.

Could not fault the location at all, right on the beach, I even went for moonlight walks every night.

The 3 pools were great, but only went on the slides one once.

The beach activities were fantastic 15 dinah when we went which is hell of a lot cheaper than Spain, Greece or UK.

1st time I've been paragliding and jet ski-ing too, loved it.

The reception staff were exceptional when we had to report a problem with out toilet, we'd go to breakfast, come back for towels and the problem was fixed when we got back after about 1 hour.

The cleanliness was fantastic of the rooms and hotel was fantastic.

But I thought the corridors in general could do with re-decorating properly.

Please say "Lovely Jubbly" to the man with the Pipes (couldn't remember his name), but we smoked pipes for a few days running, and managed to haggle him down on a couple of occasions.

The restaurant facilities were excellent, though I thought the food was just above average, but can't complain

The pool snack bar was excellent, especially if we didn't want to have a sit down lunch, we could just go there.

I loved the free scuba diving lesson too, If we had more time, we'd have gone to sea to have a go there.

I thought the Evening entertainment could have been more advertised, and it would have been great if they'rd been entertainment round the main bar area near the restaurant on an evening, (maybe remove the dry water fountain and replace with a DJ Stand?)

A good idea would be a quiz night, with quiz master speaking in French and English?

Karaoke would be good fun in that same area for future too.

Also we thought that the nightclub area was poorly signposted and advertised, as we found by off chance midway through the holiday, but the music was excellent there after midnight after the other bar had closed.

We would recommend Houda to anyone, and would definately go back soon

Going back to the Houda by vixter

We were really worried about our holiday going to the Houda as had read some terrible reviews!

Well what can I say, we went for a week on 9/10 and are now looking to go back in March.

The staff were some of the friendliest I have ever come across on a holiday - all speaking at least 3 languages

The hotel was spotless, we had clean towels in our room every other day and the bedding was changed twice in the week which we were there.

The food was plentiful in the restaurant - ok there was chips and spaghetti every meal but there was also a large selection of other foods including salads, tunisian dishes, fish, chicken and beef. There were also vegetarian dishes.

The entertainment was not the best I have seen but was adequate and we found that we couldn't miss it just to see what was on offer that night!!!! Also, join in the dances at the end of the show - we had a great time.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anybody.

Say Hi To ADEL (Me Too) by johnlbw

2 adults 2 teenagers and a 14 month old baby..

we saw less of the kids there than at home..

I called the hotel to make sure we had a cot for the baby.. I was given a choice of 1st or 2nd floor rooms - took the first floor as I knew there was no lift... Room was ok - 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms - so it meant our older two could come and go at night without disturbing us and the baby. There were a few broken things but the ones we told reception about were fixed by the next day.

Food.... We ate everything, I had rabit and octopus whilst there - dont worry there are plenty of other things.. fish chicken beef lamb turkey and enough salad for an army of rabbits. We even had Ice in our drinks... The baby ate when he was hungry and really enjoyed the chocolate moose in the italian restraunt... You can visit both the italian and tunisian once per week... go back to reception and ask for your second weeks vouchers. The snack bar is open 12pm - 4 and open again at 11pm... Mostly pizza and chips but there are other things from 12 -2 and they also had buger and hotdogs.

Drinks were ok.. I got really drunk one night on just the beer, red and white wine are good and the vodka... For the baby there was plenty of juice machines - but for the milk we had a choice... we could ask at the bar for cold milk and they would wash and fill the bottles for us - or we could use the milk for the coffee and hot chocolate - this is hot so we would get this at night so that it lasted the night.

The pools were great... get a free scuba lesson... no hassle to go on a trip. The slides are really cool.. my kids spent most of the holiday there... zied and maher the life guards are great fun. We had thunder on a 3 days but as there is an indoor pool this was not a problem.

Water sports are really good value... the parachute and jet ski were 20dn each but reduced while we were there to 15dn.. about £6... cheapest I have ever seen.

I went on the catermaran with one of my kids.. 1hr 30dn you can have upto 3 people on it and you go way out and get a greate tan.

Dont expect much for the evening entertainment... some was ok 1 night they had a fakir show (bed of nails swords etc) this was excellent but the rest of the entertainment is done by the in house guys who do a good enough job. Riko is the new kids club guy... The tunisians really know how to put a smile on a childs face.

We went at the start of ramadan and every member of staff worked so hard and always had a smile or nice thing to say...

No food or drink during daylight hours until 6pm

could you do the same? every day for a month?????

I was really worried about this hotel after reading all the bad reviews.. Yes there are flies... I went to the miramar next door for a beer and there were flies there also.. they can anoy but the food has none on them.. The restraunts are sprayed before the food and guests go in...

We stayed in the maldives for our honeymoon ( 3 weeks AI *****)

and the food was just as good

What was your stomach like the last time you ate a curry or kebab.. or drank too much. Dont confuse food poisoning with just eating somthing spicy or too much drink and sun.

Our baby ate the same as me and he was fine the whole time.

I met people on holiday who expected to be treated like kings and queens...

I can only imagine that similar people write the bad reviews and people should be carefull what they write

We will be back next year and are taking friends with us

If you go there say hi to Adel (Me Too) Every one knows him. Ask him if his MP3 play is ok (our gift) - best waiter I have ever met

Oh and speak to ben(so he says) Cheeky s*** who does the henna tatoos.. tell him the crazy scottish says hi and Ill be back....

Anyway... dont read the bad reviews... I think they were writen by rival hotels.....

what you waiting for - go pack your bags

loved it!!! by A TripAdvisor Member

Just back from Tunisia already looking to book up for April next year as it was fantastic. Everything about the hotel is great, the food was a bit basic but allways found something to eat, Everyone made you feel so welcome The Animation team were fantastic was'nt a night that went by with out laughing!! The hotel itself was so clean there were cleaners all day & night and they still had smiles on there faces, The rooms were very big, they were also kept very clean got clean sheets and towels every day. Did'nt know what to expect of this hotel as i read alot of reviews good and bad now i have been and seen it for my self and i will advise anyone if there wanting to have a fantastic holiday full of fun and for relaxing then go to the Houda golf & beach club!! you'll love it.

Firstly I would like to say that l... by C Spinks

Firstly I would like to say that l

This hotel is NOT a relaxing hotel. This is for families only (unless you like to be with loads of children)

NO good for disabled or anyone who has difficulty in walking etc..No Lifts

AC is turned off in September. so, take mini fans as you cannot have the windows open due to the mozzies( they are really bad) especially at the mini golf (early evening)

The food is ok..

We managed to find something to eat most days. it really good for kids as they can have Chips, Pizza, spaghetti...every day.... I personally didn’t like the meat they served up apart from one night when they did serve Turkey and I managed to get the breast.

The bread was ok at the evening meal but for breakfast found it was slightly stale.

overall - was not impressed with the food.

The hotel was clean but very basic. we had to move rooms once as we did not get our "Garden view" and I have to say the rep got this for us.

Pool - Was lovely but full of children (expected as it a family hotel) there was blaring music round the pool all day long. fine if you like this, personnally I dont mind a bit of music but all day long is to much.

Pool 2 - there was also a pool that was near the front gate that had slides in it for the children or adults that like to slide

Didn’t use the showers and toilets that were outside as they always looked messy.

Toilets in the reception were always clean when I went in them.

Beach - had white sand lovely and soft but in need of a clean.. the sun beds where in need of being replaced...as you walked up the beach some of the places had old plastic washed up and various other things.

Sea - Had seaweed in (for the people who don’t like seaweed between their toes!) also had parts of red brick in it and plastic bottles, old black sack bags and a few other things.. having said this their were part that was lovely and clear. and as I went in it cannot be that bad.

Skanes - this was NOT an attractive place to be, their was building work going on all over or just building sites Not being worked on and have not been for months/years.

I would NOT go back to this place.

I would Not go back to this hotel, but that is because the hotel was not as we had expected.

Their are much nicer places to go to if you are visiting Tunisia.

Our party was mixed 2 grandma’s,... by Not Specified

Our party was mixed 2 grandma’s, one grandad, me and the hubby our 5 year old daughter and our 3 month old baby boy.

When we originally booked our holiday back in January we booked the Sahara Beach (just down the road from the Houda) but first choice overbooked on this accommodation and we were informed in May they were changing us to the Houda. After excepting the change I started to check reviews and the panic set in and at one point I was close to cancelling the holiday as I though at best we would hate it and at worst I was going to subject my whole family to food poisoning. I am glad I didn’t listen to the reviews we had a fab time.

The Hotel was spotless both in the rooms and around the complex, the rooms are basic but no different from any European hotel I have stayed in before. Ours was a family room and had twin beds a bunk and a cot. My only complaint would be the lack of drawers (there are none) and hangers (there were 7) we ended up pilling clothes on the floors of the two wardrobes. The lighting in our room was fine however in the two rooms the grandparents had the lighting was very dim but they managed. Also depending on where you are in the hotel it can be a little noisy at night with people going back to there rooms.

The main pool area was lovely with plenty of beds and shades, we never struggled to them. The slides pool was fab for our five year old and some days there were two life guards on duty but on our first day there weren’t any and some older kids got a bit giddy on some of the slides coming down in groups of 4 so you need to keep a close watch, also it closes at dinner time for an hour??

The food was fine, there was something to suit most pallets, I'm vegetarian and found something to eat everyday although it did become repetitive toward the end. The snack bar round the pool was great and the pizza and chips were lovely and there are self serve drink machines all around the complex offering both fizzy and soft drinks.

There were few negatives for us;-

on the food and drink side. Firstly I would expect an all inclusive hotel to offer food all day long however between 10am and 12pm, 4pm and 6.30pm and 9.30pm to 11pm there is nothing on offer which means if get hungry you stay hungry.

You can only get two drinks from the bar at one time which means in our group of 5 adults when we wanted to get a round 3 of us had to go (very annoying by the end of the holiday) and most nights the spirits would run out, in fact out of the seven nights we were there on four of them they ran out of brandy, which in my opinion is not acceptable in an all inclusive it appeared that they rationed some spirits to six bottles a night as there are always 6 at the back of the bar early evening and when there gone you get no more.

The entertainment is inside the club now and although our daughter went to the kids disco which she loved it is very loud so we didn’t go to the watch the entertainment due to having the baby with us (our choice) instead we sat outside near the main bar which many did but except for one night there is no music or anything so not much atmosphere, which is a shame as the night someone did put music on people were up dancing and having a great time.

The shop on site is well over priced on everything, we had a ride out into Sousse and picked up a couple of gifts which were at a third of the price of the shop. My husband also bought some cigars, the hotel shop wanted 40 dinars for 10 (£20) he bought these in souse for 10 (£5).

Overall we did have a great time, the staff are lovely (our waiter was also me too!) as is the hotel, there isn’t much to do outside the hotel unless you go on a trip or travel into the next town but we knew that when we booked. If you are going to the Houda don't let those other reviews stress you out like I did as long as your not expecting 5 star from a 3 star which I think some are you'll be fine.

p.s yes there are flies but I never been to a hot country yet that hasn’t had them!!!!

2 adults 2 teenagers and a 14 month... by J Leatherbarrow

2 adults 2 teenagers and a 14 month old baby..

We saw less of the kids there than at home..

I called the hotel to make sure we had a cot for the baby.. I was given a choice of 1st or 2nd floor rooms - took the first floor as i knew there was no lift... Room was ok - 2 bedrooms 2 bathrooms - so it meant our older two could come and go at night without disturbing us and the baby. There were a few broken things but the ones we told reception about were fixed by the next day.

Food.... We ate everything, I had rabbit and octopus whilst there - don’t worry there are plenty of other things.. Fish chicken beef lamb turkey and enough salad for an army of rabbits. We even had ice in our drinks... The baby ate when he was hungry and really enjoyed the chocolate moose in the Italian restaurant... You can visit both the Italian and Tunisian once per week... Go back to reception and ask for your second weeks vouchers. The snack bar is open 12pm - 4 and open again at 11pm... Mostly pizza and chips but there are other things from 12 -2 and they also had burger and hotdogs.

Drinks were ok.. I got really drunk one night on just the beer, red and white wine are good and the vodka... For the baby there was plenty of juice machines - but for the milk we had a choice... We could ask at the bar for cold milk and they would wash and fill the bottles for us - or we could use the milk for the coffee and hot chocolate - this is hot so we would get this at night so that it lasted the night.

The pools were great... Get a free scuba lesson... No hassle to go on a trip. The slides are really cool.. My kids spent most of the holiday there... Zied and Maher the life guards are great fun. We had thunder on a 3 days but as there is an indoor pool this was not a problem.

Water sports are really good value... The parachute and jet ski were 20dn each but reduced while we were there to 15dn.. About £6... Cheapest i have ever seen.

I went on the catamaran with one of my kids.. 1hr 30dn you can have up to 3 people on it and you go way out and get a great tan.

Don’t expect much for the evening entertainment... Some was ok 1 night they had a fakir show (bed of nails swords etc) this was excellent but the rest of the entertainment is done by the in house guys who do a good enough job. Riko is the new kids club guy... The Tunisians really know how to put a smile on a child’s face.

We went at the start of Ramadan and every member of staff worked so hard and always had a smile or nice thing to say...

No food or drink during daylight hours until 6pm

Could you do the same? Every day for a month?????

I was really worried about this hotel after reading all the bad reviews.. Yes there are flies... I went to the Miramar next door for a beer and there were flies there also.. They can annoy but the food has none on them.. The restaurants are sprayed before the food and guests go in...

We stayed in the Maldives for our honeymoon ( 3 weeks AI *****)

And the food was just as good

What was your stomach like the last time you ate a curry or kebab.. Or drank too much. Don’t confuse food poisoning with just eating something spicy or too much drink and sun.

Our baby ate the same as me and he was fine the whole time.

I met people on holiday who expected to be treated like kings and queens...

I can only imagine that similar people write the bad reviews and people should be careful what they write

We will be back next year and are taking friends with us

If you go there say hi to Adel (me too) every one knows him. Ask him if his mp3 play is ok (our gift) - best waiter i have ever met

Oh and speak to ben (so he says) cheeky s*** who does the henna tattoos.. Tell him the crazy Scottish says hi and I'll be back....

Anyway... Don’t read the bad reviews... I think they were written by rival hotels.....

What you waiting for - go pack your bags.

not wot i expected by A TripAdvisor Member

On our arrival to this hotel my first impressions were that the hotel looked nice and welcoming, although not very centrally located close to any main town centres that we would be able to walk to. In the reception area the staff behind the desk didn't seem to provide us with any information, just simply give us our keys and didn't even point us into the right direction of where our rooms might have been so we tended to stand there helpless for a short while trying to beckon a porter to help us out. The staff behind the counter didn't give us our wristbands till we actually asked either. The porter kindly showed us to our room with us carrying all our luggage and 3 small children in tow, up 2 flights of stairs as they have no lifts. On arrival to our rooms, the corridoor was in darkness and the light outside our actual door only worked the once all week, making it quite difficult each evening to unlock the door. The room itself was very spacious and clean and the bedding and towels were regulary changed. Now i've never been all inclusive before so i wasn't quite sure what to expect? on our first visit to the restaurant we went quite late, well late for me because i have three young children, it was 8.30pm because we had eaten in the day. On our visit to the restaurant on the first night we were told that we had been booked each night for after 8.30pm for all our other subsequent meals as there were two sittings per night.I found that a little inconvenient with the kids. The restaurant was always very warm, and there was a persistant problem with flys and mosquitos all week, now i know flys can't be helped, but they were a constant nuisance always on your food both inside and outside the restaurant. Food inside the restaurant wasn't covered up because of the nature of the buffet style, therefore had the flys landing on it regulary. My family and I had suffered upset stomaches all week and right upto a week after we returned home. The kids seemed to enjoy the swimming pools in the week and i myself found them to be child friendly as well as clean and well looked after. There was however a very slippy patch over inbetween the middle of the large pool where water had obviously collected and unable to drain away, and on a number of occasions i personally saw 2-3 children slip onto the floor narrowly avoiding having a minor accident. As an overall experience i have to say the hotel i found to be ok, but i was generally dissapointed after looking forward to it for so long. I am glad i had the oppertunity to have visted the country, but in an honest opinion i regret to say that i wouldn't be returning to the hotel on any future visits.

Have just arrived back from the Houda... by C Roberts

Have just arrived back from the Houda today, 03.10.05, again after reading earlier reports I was a little worried. We had a fantastic time, there was a party of 7 of us and we all agreed it was the best holiday ever. The hotel is beautiful, the front facade is very impressive, especially at night all lit up. The foyer is again beautiful. Reception staff are friendly.

The food is gorgeous, plenty choice, very very well cooked, piping hot. It is all self service. The sweets are to die for. You can eat TWICE out in the week where is al a caret, once in the Medina where you have a an authentic Tunisian meal chose from a menu, it is waiter service and candle lit. You also make a date to eat at Toscana restaurant, again al a carte waiter service this is an Italian meal. You book your chosen dates and times in the foyer between 10-11am every day.

The hotel rooms are basic but clean and spacious, I had a lovely sea view, others had views of the gardens, we were all happy. The location is ok, Skanes is made up just of hotels although across the road at the back a supermarket is being built at the moment, it is too far away that there is any noise or dust. The hotel has its own private beach, so you don’t have to pay for the sunbeds or grass sunshades.

Sellers are on the beach selling cigs, camels, jewellery, rugs and fruit, but if you say no thanks they don’t hassle you. The sea is a funny colour like khaki, but it is lovely and warm and you can wade quite a way out. On some days there was seaweed but it wasn’t there every day. you can book quite a lot of trips out at the hotel, like a camel trip which was really good, it cost 30 dinars each (about £15) but was worth it. We did quite a lot of the trips through the reps (Thomas cook) there was a Shara Explorer trip, this took two days and takes in 60% of the country includes visits to El Jem, cave houses at Matmata, camel ride in Sahara, visiting the oasis of Tozeur, the canyon of Tamerza and a waterfall oasis by jeep, an overnight stay in another hotel is included this cost 145 Dinar adult or 72.50 Dinars for children.

We went to Parates and Gladiators tours, we visited the Roman Colliseum at El Jem where Christians fought gladiators to their deaths, then onto a Spanish galleon which sails out to sea, you stop to swim, fish, have a bbq, includes Tunisians dancing this cost 50Dinar adults 25 for kids. The Camel trip cost 23 Dinar adults 11.50 kids this was followed by a Tunisian woman baking bread in a clay oven which you sample with ham and tomatoes.

There was catamaran trips for 36 dinar adults 18 kids, and Animal magic zoo trip for 30 dinar adults 15 kids, we went to the night of a thousand stars show, a chance to see your reps as you haven’t seen them before, this included two free drinks for 35 dinar adults and 17.50 dinar kids I thought this was overpriced, we also went on the Arabian feat, a night of true Tunisian entertainment and cuisine washed down with unlimited drinks, belly dancing. horsemanship and a fakir show this was a wonderful night for 35 dinar adults and 18 dinar kids. You can also book a the foyer water sports i.e. banana boat, paragliding, jet ski, etc, they cost 20 dinar each. The taxis were cheap, but get a price first for the whole taxi not price per person. The hotel shop is quite expensive and they do give you a little hassle to buy but they soon get used to your face and don’t hassle.

We went to the markets, it was quite an experience haggling, but it became a bit of a drag keep trying to fend them off. they try all tricks to get you into their shops, i.e. they say they work at your hotel or they try to get you laughing saying cheaper than Asda or they say to your partner they will swap you for so many camels, but this is every single shop. Some of them will even say please look and I promise I wont hassle you, so you go in and they hassle you, they are there at your side and don’t let you look round like you want to they are constantly showing you stuff and even if you say I’m just looking they don’t leave you alone. They will tell you a ridiculous price for something you haggle. We could only cope with this about ten minutes so we then went to the fixed price government market, there is no hassle or haggling here and the prices are ok too. This was right next to the outside market at Sousse.

We also went to Monastir. We went to the Colliseum at El Jem, we went by minibus and hours drive away, it cost 180 dinar for a return trip, (about £90) but there was 7 of us which worked out about £6.50p per person each way, this was cheaper than going through the reps, you pay 4 dinars each to go in to the coliseum, we took a group of adults with special needs - 3 carers and 4 people who needed supporting, they were all free, just the carers had to pay. There is a bit of hassle from shopkeepers outside trying to get you to eat/ drink/ buy.

We found the Tunisians to be very very friendly, just strangers walking by saying Welcome to Tunisia, others came over and shook our hand, at first we thought it was because of our group, but I noticed they did this to elderly and they made a big fuss of children too. We stayed for a week, there was loads to do at the hotel, crazy golf, aqua aerobics, children’s entertainment, the only downside to the holiday is they play music outside round the hotel pool, it can be very loud, at first its ok but after a while it really annoys you.

Another downside was things tended to happen from 10am i.e. if you wanted to change you English money to Tunisian - only after 10.am, see the rep - after 10.am, arrange to keep your room on at the last day or book the two night out at the separate restaurants all this again after 10.am, this can be a bit annoying as if you have breakfast say 8.am you are sitting round waiting and you want to be out doing things rather than waiting. This was the only downside, but I would certainly have no hesitation whatsoever in going back, we go away every year - sometimes twice and this was one of the best holidays ever. If you go the maids love to be tipped with shampoo, toothpaste and soap, they clean the room daily and will swap any towels you leave in the bath.

Although you help yourself to drink when you want (two at a time) the table cleaners will go for you if you give them a tip, this was especially useful at meal times. The beer (lager) is lovely, but it was about strong as Kaliber, same with the spirits, the wine is pretty powerful, you can feel the effects after three drinks, the coke and lemonade taste good quality, there are also soft fruit drink machines, lemon and orange dotted around, they taste really nice.

At the front of the building is an amusement arcade with slide machines, sit down racer machines, ten pin bowling alley, slot machines etc, it can get very very hot in there in the evening, this doesn’t open till lunchtime. We stayed all inclusive, the breakfast was 'different' with salads, cake, ham cheese, the toast is white not golden brown, hot potatoes and various other concoctions, but it tasted nice, the lunch and evening meals are fantastic and very very nicely prepared and cooked. We didn’t really have snacks and we were full from 3 big meals, but on one occasion we had pizza and chips which was ok. I only ever saw pizza and chips for snacks but I didn’t really look there may have been other things.

It was handy having free water in bottles, you could take it out with you for the day, but the bottled where the litre size so they were a bit heavy. Please don’t be disheartened if you have read bad reports, everyone we spoke to was very impressed and I would certainly write what I felt, if there was bad stuff I would write it here. You will have a fantastic time. Christine.

Houda Golf and Beach Club. We have... by A Mottram

Houda Golf and Beach Club.

We have just got back from the Houda Golf and Beach Club after staying there for one week all inclusive. We paid approximately 350 pound each. So what did we think of it? Well on the whole and considering the price that we paid, we had a great time. The Houda is a very clean hotel and the staff work very hard to keep it that way. It has three great pools and one of them has its own set of water slides. Great fun after a few beers and I would imagine great if you have kids.

If you like the beach, the Houda has its own private beach just through the gates at the bottom of the pool area. On here you can do paracending, jet skiing, banana boat etc, all for around 20 Dinar (that’s about 10 quid). Paracending was great, I don’t like height’s but I loved it, the guys that run it are very precise and can drop you in an area on the beach which is about 20ftx20ft. They can also (if you want to) alter the speed of the boat so that your legs drop into the med, before they send you up again.

The food at the hotel was ok, not brilliant but I found something to eat everyday, but more importantly it was usually hot. (And there are people who go around with temperature gauges to check it). Here is a tip that we only found out in the last couple of days. If you do not like what is on offer just ask. The chef will cook you what you want, and do it every day if necessary. The lager was cold and tasted good and they were not tight with the spirits….that said, even though we read a bottle of vodka which said 40% we found it difficult to get drunk!!!!

Ok now for the bad points. On the second day we had a can of lynx deodorant, a tin of hair spay and of bottle of Tommy girl stolen from our room, our friends in the next room had a bottle of Jupe also taken. Now, we can not prove who did this but it had to be someone with access to a master key and the Manager told us that the master keys were in blocks and not the entire complex. The maid was suspended without pay pending an enquiry. We told the manager that no one was to enter our room again and put a do not disturb sign on our door permanently.

This did not stop the maids though; they are told that after 3 o’clock they can enter a room to clean it, even if the sign is on the door. Another trip to the manager, a meeting with the maids (caught in the act of cleaning with our sign on the door) and a compromise was reached. No more maid service, ever. In fact they refused to come in. Fine by me, we got our clean towels etc from reception. So lets not get too hung up about it, at the end of the day what had been taken was not a lot.

The most expensive item, the perfume only had about a quarter left in it, but it is the principle. Make sure your valuables are put in the safe deposit box. 10 dinar for 1 week. Best 5 quid I ever spent.

Ok on to the next niggle. The Houda has a really stupid habit of closing a bar that you are using (in the pool area) and making you walk around to another bar that is further away! I could understand if it was a staff issue, but these are self service dispensers. More annoying is that when you do get to a “manned” bar they enforce the 2 drinks per person only rule. That’s always a bit awkward to get a round in when there are 6 of you. My partner had a few run-in’s with the female bar staff, I did not and so can’t really comment, however my partner is slim and blonde and the bar woman wasn’t. Enough said I think.

The entertainment in the complex was mediocre, we had some laughs there but it was very similar on most nights. But what hotel has fantastic entertainment when you paid @ 350 quid all inclusive. This is what galls me about these web sites. I know I have moaned a bit, but we had a really good time in Tunisia. But at the end of the day you get what you pay for, and YOU make YOUR holiday. Not someone else.

Tunisia is a great place, very friendly, very helpful and a lot of fun, we did 2 excursions, a trip on a pirate ship which was fun. (we did find out after though that if we had gone on the full day tour, they take you to see the “coliseum” where they filmed “The Gladiator”) We went Quad biking, great fun, especially when they take you to see the coca-cola drinking camel, he was sweet. I also surprised myself as it did not take me long to work out how to make the bike slide in the direction that you want it to.

We took ourselves in a Taxi (arrange the price before you get in and barter, they start at 10 dinar you start at 5, and after you walk away they compromise at 5!!!) to the market at Medinar in Sousse. That was like a scene from an Indiana Jones movie, very authentic, very old, pretty and bustling with local people.

Watch your wallet, we were warned about pick-pocket’s, they are supposed to be very good. My wallet lived next to my testicles for the duration and only came out to pay for the Hubbly-bubbly pipe and a rather nice elephant. If you are into animal rights you have to overt your eyes as we did. Tortoises in buckets, Iguana’s used to entice the curious foreigner into the shops and live chickens laid face down with their legs tied behind them. Not nice to see.

The shops more or less sell the same thing so don’t be afraid to walk away. The golden rule is barter. Never pay more than a third of the original price offered to you, and if you do walk away, and they let you, don’t worry the same thing will be in one of the next 3 shops. One last tip for you all, Whisky is expensive in Tunisia we did not know this. However if you were thinking of buying leather goods, jacket’s especially, we were asked on more than one occasion if we had whiskey as a trade, to off set the price. Maybe that cheap black label off the plane could come in handy after all.

So to sum up, if you want to sit in the hotel and moan your holiday will be something to moan about. If you get out and about and except that there is life beyond the football results you will have a ball, and Tunisia is just the place to do it.

Houda defence !!!!!!!!! by A TripAdvisor Member

We visited the Hotel Houda for the first time in February 05. Husband, 16 year old daughter and myself. Having been to Tunisia before we knew what to expect from the people, kind, very friendly, always helpful and occasionaly a bit overbearing (but that could just be our English reserve).

The weather to be honest wasn't as nice as we would have liked and could be described as very cold. The only way you could swim was in the indoor pool - unless you were partial to frostbite!

The hotel and staff however made up for the lack of good weather. ALL the staff were great and spoke to you as if you were their friends. In my opinion if you treat people with the same respect you would expect, you receive the same!! The animation staff - funny, entertaining and a lot more hard working than any I had ever seen before.

Food - varied! Why go abroad if you are not prepared to try different things? Although there were chips available most of the day for those who need their little bit of England......

Our waiter was lovely and always had our drinks on the table waiting for us. The two evenings that we attended the a'la carte resturants (Italian & Tunisian) were worthy of any restaurant that I have been to back home.

Cleanliness - very!!!!!

A few flies in the height of summer, but have you had a BBQ at home and not been hassled by them?

The disco and entertainment were really enjoyable. We were in stitches with some of the sketches acted by the animation team. The disco was very enjoyable - giving my daughter and myself the opportunity of having somewhere to have a really good boogy together, without the usual stares that you receive back home!! She especially enjoyed the salsa dancing that she did with the animation staff.

We did return back in early July, bringing our elder 19 year old with us. It was quite a bit busier, with the slide pool being open. As we went just before the English summer holiday's began there were quite a few more French & Germans (this being the only downside). Just make sure that you go during English school holidays, or make sure that you don't go during Europe's main holiday time!!!

I only wish that we had found somewhere like this when my children were smaller, having paid totally over the top in previous years for half the facililties for children that are available at this hotel!!!!!!

Please do not take my word, but look at a holiday in this hotel as an enjoyable break, lovely staff, extreamely clean and total value for money.

PS we're going back again.

« 123 24 25 26 27 »
Stayed at Houda Golf & Beach Club Hotel? Share your insight.

Map for Houda Golf & Beach Club Hotel Closest airport: Habib Bourguiba (MIR) 3.8 miles