Marhaba Salem

Good

Room: 7.5/10
Value: 8.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Marhaba Salem

1 2 »
just got back from marhaba salem

"hotel is clean , rooms are clean , lots of crock roaches about.

staff are not very friendly.

Christina the rep was so nice was a pleasure to meet and get to know her.

animation team are sooooooo bad and unfriendly only nice when they are crawling around you to put that they are brilliant on trip advisor.

kids club is rubbish kids running everywhere no organisation at all.

lovely weather beach beautiful.

food was nice drinks are awful!entertaiment not worth a watch only a few shops outside the hotel.

• Holiday details: Jun 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: go out at night to the marina
by Michelle D

Great Hotel

"Had a fantastic stay in the Marhaba Salem, the rooms were very clean. The staff were very friendly apart from the reception who could of been more helpful. I wasnt too impressed with drilling which was early in the morning. I think the rooms needed fridges with cold water as it was very hot, and they had no facilities in the room. I thought the animation team were great my favourite was Alex he was so friendly and very polite. He always had time for his guests and was fun. He should run the animation team as he has time for everyone and gets everyone involved in the entertainment, hope he gets the credit he deserves for all his hard work which i admire him for."

• Holiday details: Aug 2012, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: going out on trips to see the culture
by trace36

Brilliant !!!!!

"Arrived there just after midnight, bit dissapointed you couldn't get a drink unless you went to the on site club n paid... A bit expensive too...

Hotel itself was fab, great food from 6am up until midnight, same with all drinks although there is not much choice in the alchol department.

All the staff from waiters to the gardeners were all very friendly, couldn;t do enough for you.

Animation team were absolutly bob on, great set of guys. God knows where they get there energy from, they are amazing..

Would I go again? Defo..

Taxis very cheap. Little road train very cheap. Recomend a horse n carriage ride but make sure you barta you will get it for half the price.. Don't give in, walk off and they will beg you to return..

Everywhere you go barta is a MUST...

Weather was a bit hit n miss.. hot n overcast or sunny n windy.. much better than England weather..

• Holiday details: May 2011, All Inclusive, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Get up early n make the most of your day...
by Franco n Paula

Excepional

"The food in this hotel was excellent, always fresh and something

for all tastes. The rooms were clean and comfy with large balconies. The grounds are extensive and really kept in good condition by dedicated gardeners, ( nice blokes, proud of what they do, have a talk with them). The adjoining beach is clean. There are enough facilities that you could enjoy yourself without going beyond the hotel. Taxi fares are cheap, 20 Dinars (£8) Airport to Hotel, compared with Tour operators £40 +, Hotel to Sousse 5 Dinars (£2), but determine price before journey and haggle. All in all we had a great time, if I had to single out one feature to praise it was the staff, always cheerful and willing to help with any question. Going back in September can't wait.

by bobbacup

great experience

"We have just returned from a week at the Salem Hotel. The staff are so attentive and the food is excellent. You can always find something you will like as there is such a wide choice and it is beautifully cooked. The pool man was great and the mats arrived on our sunbeds as soon as we did. The waiters are brilliant and we were surpeised to find that there was entertainment in the evening even though it was December. The weather was nice, a few clouds around but settled round the pool every day and were able to sunbathe. Sister hotel right next door has a lovely indoor pool and jaccuzi. Taxi's into sousse are very cheap. Cost us about £2 for 3 of us to the top of the Madena. For a fun experience use the Noddy trains but be aware that return tickets are not transferable on the 3 trains. better to get a single. Staying at this hotel for a birthday if you are female is a must but i won't spoil the surprise."

by travellersanonymous

not so good as I expected

"I just arrived from my holiday in Sousse. The rooms were not good. The bathroom smelt of fecalia for the whole two weeks, despite extra cleaning.

The hotel staff are arogant and no helpful. So, if you wont something to do about it you must have an extra energy to insist. The pools werw good and animation too.

I do not think that I will back there again. For low cost I had better holiday in Egipt-crouse toure.

by I_adore_to_travel

Not the best!

"Just returned from a week at the Salem Hotel. Overall, enjoyable holiday but I have to say the rooms and bathrooms are sub-standard. I don't mind basic hotels, good opportunity to get a local experience, but the rooms were not good. The bathroom smelt of urine for the whole week despite extra cleaning.

I asked to be moved but the other rooms were similar.

My daughter and I had a great week in Tunisia, but it didn't involve relaxing in the room or veranda. The staff at the Salem were fantastic and overall the facilities were pretty good but if you are expecting a 3/4 star hotel, don't! We did have a sea view and that was good.

The Tompson Rep was as helpful as she could be so no complaint there, the hotel staff were also very helpful and at least looked apologetic!

Would I go back? Probably not; it was quite an expensive holiday for such a hotel experience.

by Caroline234

keeps getting better

"Have just returned from a two week stay at the salem in sousse. We knew what to expect as we stayed there in June 2005. It was lovely to return and see so many friendly faces who all remebered us from last year. This year there was a new addition of a salt water pool with three flumes. Last year we spent all our time on the beach as there was not enough room around the pools. This year with the new pool we didnt spend one day on the beach. The salem is a great place with lovely people, all the staff including the lifeguards who looked out for our daughter for the whole two weeks couldnt do enough for us. We enjoyed our selves that much that we have only been back a week and have already booked to go there again next year."

by rainbowhugs

Bottom of the range but functional

"just got back from the Salem yesterday. The hotel itself is summed up in one word "Dated". but thats not the end of the world. the room was fine except for the tatty bathroom.

The sea view was nice. Salem is about 50m from the beach. nice gardens surround the hotel

staff were friendly. food was average (buffet was better option than the 'set' dishes you can chose from).

Restaurant seating is at shared tables which you must keep for the duration. At first this sounds like a problem, but actually it forces people to mix and get to know one another so after a week it really was a familiar place.

Sousse is a working town - medina, with shops, industrial area and all the hussle and bussle that brings. little bit of nightlife but not much.

Top Tip: Supermarkets - get off the main road and into the housing areas, they are much cheaper - less than a quarter of the tourist trap prices and wider range. however they still dont sell beer.

Top Tip II: take duty free to drink there if thats your thing.

If we heard one complaint every day it was the lack of beer! only hotels and a few bars sell alcohol - the rest lie to you to get you inside then serve non-alcoholic beer! so best drink at the hotel, even if its just one local brew which tastes like water!

highlight was definately the 2 day "Sahara Select" trip which thomson do for around £90pp. Worth every penny as you get around 10 activities/visits all over Tunisia for this - felt we really saw the country, and loved everyminuite of it.

All in all i'd give the Salem and Sousse/Tunisia 6/10 - but 4 of those are for the Sahara trip!

by lucglobal

The best holiday

"I have just returned from a weeks holiday at this hotel, and i thought it was fantastic. There is lots to do and the staff are very friendly, and the entertainment staff were very good with children."

by A TripAdvisor Member

Great holiday at the Salem Hotel

"Just returned from a weeks holiday at the Salem Hotel Sousse Tunisia, we loved it.

Staff were so friendly & helpful.

We plan to return again & will certainly recommend to others.

by Vcas

loved it

"We have just returned from a week at the Salem. The hotel is great and it was my favourite holiday so far. My little boy even cried when we had to leave which he has never done before! All the hotel staff and waiters are very very friendly and go out of their way to make you have a good holiday. Its a nice traditional hotel which does admittedly look basic on arrival but once you've settled in you'll love it.It has lots of beautiful gardens and is literally a few steps to the beach. You can use nextdoors facilities aswell so there is a choice of 4 pools, a gym, jacuzzi, massage etc. The weather was and hot with a nice breeze at night. Everything is so cheap in tunisia aswell! My 2 daughters went on a scuba dive trip which only cost an amazing 40 dinars each which is a little less 20 pounds in english!! Also did a 3 hour camel/horse riding trip costing approx £9 each. Taxi's are very cheap also. Overall it was a brilliant holiday and wished it was for 2wks not 1! We are planning on going back next year and cant wait, it will be lovely to see all the staff again also (who do actually rememba guests as we saw a few returners and the staff seemed more than happy to see them again)"

by A TripAdvisor Member