Days Inn Hyde Park

Good

Room: 6.5/10
Value: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Days Inn Hyde Park

Warning: Refused to clear fire escape. I had to dial 999.

"Report of Hotel stay 21 July 2010, DaysInn Hotel 148-152 Sussex Gardens London.

Main Time line

• 6:30 pm reported the issue.

• 10:45 pm reported the issue again.

• 11:15 pm reported the issue gain in very strong terms.

• 11:30 pm called London Fire Brigade as staff simply refused to take action.

• Only after I had made the call in the hearing of the duty manager did the hotel take action to remove the obstruction.

• Around midnight the fire brigade attended to undertake an inspecton.

Full Details

We stayed in room 122 and the most direct route from our rooms to outside in the case of an emergency was to take the stairs outside our room to the ground floor and then take the corridor directly opposite the foot of the stairs and out the emergency exit.

On leaving the hotel at about 6:30pm on the 21st I noticed that the corridor leading to the fire exit was totally blocked by two mattresses lent up against the wall and a host of laundry bags strewn over the floor. The exit was totally inaccessible.

I reported this to the receptionist and asked for the obstructions to be moved. She passed me on to Annika the duty manager and I again asked for the obstructions to be removed. I made it clear that the obstruction represented a serious safety issue and that I would not put the lives of my family at risk. She thanked me for bringing the matter to her attention.

At around 10:45pm I returned to the hotel to find that nothing had been done. I again spoke to Annika and explained that if the obstructions were not removed I would call the Fire Brigade as I was not prepared to risk the lives of my family. I explained that the hotel was breaking the law. I explained that she had a duty to act. I again explained that this needed to be dealt with ASAP as I was not prepared to have my family put at risk. She assured me she would get on to it. I explained that we were popping out to get something to eat but would be back soon and expected it to be sorted.

I returned at around 11:15 pm to see that the laundry had now been stacked against the wall, leaving a narrow corridor to the exit. I again spoke to Annika and thanked her for her effort but explained that it was still not good enough. I explained about the laundry falling and causing a trip hazard, I explained about the need for clear unobstructed access. She told me that the house keeper would be in tomorrow morning to move the obstructions. I again told her that that was not good enough. I explained that she may not care if we burnt to death of choked on acrid smoke, but I did. I said I wanted to speak to the general manager right now. She told me that Management had been informed of the issue. I told her that if it was not moved right away I would call the fire brigade. She told me there was nothing she could do. I waited a further 10 minutes and then dialled 999 and spoke to the fire brigade in her presence. At this point she got a member of staff to move the items.

Once the items were removed I could see that not only were the obstructions blocking an exit, they had completely covered a fire extinguisher.

The fire brigade called me back after a few minutes and said that they would send out a crew straight away to inspect the fire exits throughout the hotel.

The next morning I asked to speak to the manager and spoke to the duty manager Abishek. He started to come up with excuses about how this was all the fault of the new laundry company. I cut him short and said I was disgusted by this lack of responsibility and demanded to speak to the General manager. I was told he was on holiday. I then listened to Abisheck tell me that this was not the fault of the hotel. I asked to see the hotel’s public liability insurance certificate, explaining that as the hotel was not taking responsibility I would get on to everybody I could think of who would have an interest in getting the hotel to correct this state of affairs. He showed me the Hotel Proprietors notice. I explained that this was not the same as the certificate of insurance; I explained that the hotel was obliged by law to display it and eventually he took the framed certificate from its storage place, in a cupboard hidden behind a first aid box.

About 10 minutes later I came down again to reception and asked where the certificate was. It was back in the cupboard behind the first aid box! I again explained the need to display this and he then set it on a table in reception.

Later that morning as I was waiting in the lounge the duty manager called me to reception where the general manager was on the phone. I spoke to him, Thimmaiah Gumnatira , who came up with the same excuses, that it was the third party laundry company who should not have put the laundry there, and a third party company who had failed to collect the mattresses. I was very cross and explained that none of that excused five hours of inaction by his staff and he said he understood that and would take action and let me know what that action was.

I am totally disgusted by the complete lack of care for guest safety that caused me to have to dial 999 before they took action, and a complete lack of responsibility for the situation displayed after the event.

Tony Simms

• Holiday details: Jul 2010, Breakfast Included, Booked Independently
  • Advice: London is everything you can think off
by FamilyTraveler

Very nice for the price the ask!

"First impression when I entered the room was... - it's small. The second one was - it's VERY clear. Honestly, I really thought that a room could have been larger than what they offer, but I guess spaciousness is a problem for any of London hotels, unless it's a 5-stars hotel. However, when I've spent there 2 days (I've been staying there for 5), I have figured out that for the price they ask it is merely one of the best choices. Arguments are: the room (No 106) was very clear - I honestly have never seen a clearer room than this one: probably this is purely thanks to the fact the hotel is newly repaired - even the windows (what is seldom) were new and clear. Second, - the staff is very friendly and is always ready to assist. Third, the hotel itself, including how clean and new it is, how it is furnished, how the breakfast is served (and what is served), how it is situated (less than 1 minute to Paddington station, though on a quiet street), defenitely deserve a 3-stars rating. Forth, I've been there in February and the place itself (Sussex Gardens street) was very good - it was green and all over the streets there was lots of cherry trees covered with flowers. The room I've been living in, was not that large however (2-3 square meters more would be very nice), but it was absolutely enough for one whose main goal is exploring London, and who is spending only nights in his room. All in all, I am giving them 3 stars with no single doubt. Will defenitely stay here during my next trip to London. PS. There's LOTS of hotels on the same street - basically the whole street consists of hotels (this is defenitely more than you can find over Inet), but none of them outside looks that new as this one. PPS. On the foto you can see the room shot right from the door - it looks however larger than it is in reality due to this is a stitched panorama foto: the room is around 3.5x3.5 meters large and has a shower/lavatory of 1x2.5 meters."

by Queesesto

the best we found in paddington

"Only 4 minutes walk from paddington when we arrived it was more than we expected for the rate we were quoted which was 89 for a double and included a full English Buffet in the morning.

The rooms had everything that we needed plasma screen, bath tub, wireless network, fridge, safe and most importantly our big comfortable bed. The staff catered to all our needs and were very friendly told us where all the hot spots in town was the good restaurants, the clubs and the sites.

I do highly recommend this hotel and whenever i return to London i will be staying here for sure.

by dayinn

Just the right place for a short London stay

"Super- fitted the bill- great relaxed atmosphere- great location- helpful staff- great value, nice area, all in all great really."

by thedudeinthehat

A pleasant stay.

"We arrived on 1st Nov for 3 nights. First impressions were great, a nice clean reception and staff were very pleasant. We booked a family room for 3, the room was a bit small but it was clean and functional. flat screen TV, tea & coffee facilities, WC with Shower & hairdryer, we had a rear room so there was no street noise. Breakfast was self-service, english and continental breakfast and plenty of it and very enjoyable. The Hotel is ideally located 3-5mins walk from Paddington station, the L ondon BIg Bus stop was just around the corner (for those who enjoy the tour bus)

The Days Hotel is an ideal place to stay for a shortbreak holiday, we would definitely stay there again but not for more than 3 nights.

by Meisgyn

Better than expected...

"Arrived in London without a room, bargained among a few of the Sussex Gardens hotels, and wound up here. Perfectly adequate for my purposes. Staff was friendly and room was clean and decently appointed for this level (dryer, pants iron, flat screen TV, wireless internet). Would definitely stay again."

by DrewM

Small room but clean and functional

"We had selected this hotel after reading reviews on trip advisor and also based on price, which was reasonable for London and the location, which was great. The room we were in was small, but clean and comfortable, as was the en-suite. The road the hotel is located on was busy but our room didn't face the road so we weren't bothered by traffic noise. The only complaint we would have was the staff. When we arrived we were ignored for about 10 minutes while the receptionist answered several phone calls. He then directed all his conversation towards my husband, even though it was me who had made the booking and who's name was on the booking form, which I found very rude. Overall though our one night stay was comfortable in a well located hotel with a clean and modern environment."

by Marshmills

Very good, clean hotel with friendly staff

"We really enjoyed our stay here, the spotlessly clean and stylishly decorated reception area was a really good first impression of the hotel (the fresh flowers were an especially nice touch). The rooms were nice and modern with very comfortable beds and good facilities. We stayed on a b&b basis and there was a very varied choice of good food on offer at breakfast time. The only bad thing (although I personally wasn't bothered by it) was the noise of the traffic as, if you are in one of the rooms at the front of the hotel like we were, you will be very near the main road. However, I'm sure this could be rectified on booking by asking for a room that's nearer the back of the hotel. I would definitely stay here and again wouldn't hesitate to recommended it."

by Misco

Exceeded our expectations

"As first-timers to London, we had no basis for comparison but we were very pleased with the facilities and staff at Days Hotel London Hyde Park. We booked 3 nights on-line based on availability and comments like this (with only 2 weeks lead time). The beds were very comfortable and the bathrooms were beautiful in the renovated rooms. Impressive breakfast buffet. Yes, the traffic noise on Sussex Gardens was a problem because we had to keep the window wide open during some of the hottest summer days in London's history. Our 3rd night, when a 3rd person was joining us, we needed to change rooms and requested to be placed in the back. We were given a large family suite on 1st floor whose window opened to an interior dead-air space, so it was quiet but hot and stuffy. Maybe other back rooms are better? Any other time of year, we think our stay would have been flawless. Paddington Station and variety of restarants were close by."

by NancyfromNebraska

Rooms small but adequate

"Very convenient hotel if you travel to London via Heathrow airport. Just 5 mins of walking from the Paddington Station (linked to Heathrow by 15-min express train).

Rooms are really small (I stayed in a single room) but adequate if you need a room just to sleep. Renovation is fine, no leaking taps, everything is clean, flat screen TV with basic satellite channels like CNN. Some French, Greek and strangely Cyprus channels too. PayTV.

Got a room with a full English breakfast for 80 British pounds, think it is a bargain for central London.

Lancaster Gate Tube station on the Central Line is 5-7 min walk, very convenient if you want to travel to Oxford Street or within the downtown. Otherwise may walk to Paddington to take other Tube lines.

Breakfast is excellent, selfserved, they even offered fresh strawberries with cream :-)

Rooms facing the Success Gardens are of course noisy because of traffic, rooms facing internal yard are much better, however, absolutely no view. There are five rooms in the basement where the view is on the feet of pedestrians.

Staff is friendly, first offered me a room facing the street, when I refused, changed it to an internal yard one. Also, 24-hour desk is a plus as many hotels on Success Gardens have no reception at night.

There was a safe in the room operated by four batteries. One was missing. I tried to insert my own batteries but presumably the safe was permanently broken as it did not open. I did not ask reception to fix it, just didn't need it.

WiFI internet is 10 British pounds per 24h, but works only on the ground floor, however, all rooms have network sockets, and the reception offers network cables free of charge.

Again, bargain if only you are not claustrophobic.

by air10kuzya

Reasonable budget hotel

"Days Hotel is situated about 2 minutes walk from Paddington station (mainline and underground services). About a 20 minute walk to central London (Oxford Street).

The hotel had a nice feel to it for the budget traveller but we were allocated a small room just off the reception area - no A/C and very little air (to be fair, it was at the height of a heatwave).

One other negative point: the hotel advertises free parking on Expedia but in fact the hotel charges 10 pounds per day.

Very clean, seemingly newly-renovated, and reasonable value by London standards.

by Camel1