El Dorado Royale & Spa Hotel

Value: 8.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for El Dorado Royale & Spa Hotel

1 2 3 »
Excellente

"Excellent - no problems - Read a lot of the 1/10 reviews and we had no problems

Service is attentive - any suggestions taken on board

Room excellent

Liked all aspects of the resort - lucky with the weather which helped - usually storms in September only a couple of showers

• Holiday details: Sep 2012, booked with First Choice
  • Advice: Relax and enjoy - you are on holiday
by 4js

worst hotel i have stayed in

"“Worst Hotel I Have Stayed, Avoid At All Costs !!!!!!!”

Stayed Jan 10th - 24th 2012

The Good

This hotel is set in lovely, well kept grounds and operates the golf carts to take you around it as it is very large. The bar staff are great and nothing is too much trouble for them and the drink selection is one of the best i have had anywhere, with so many branded drinks to choose from. All staff are generally very friendly and always speak when they pass. The hotel is a short distance to Playa Car or Cancun and they operate a free bus to get there. Maids brought lots of towels and mini bar stocked daily and room cleaned.

The Bad

The beach is not very good and has a lot of sand bags as the beach got riuned due to a hurricane a few years back, we knew this before we went so wasnt a big deal, you can get into the water still and i'm only mentioning this bacause of lot of people complain about this, but its not the hotel's fault for a hurricaine. You can always get a sunbed no problem at the beach if you are about early, beware that if you go off to get food ect, people stole your beds and in the afternoon they would set up dining on the beach and would move you so they could do this. bed around the pool were always available but you get little sun as they have so many palm trees shading them.

THE ROOM.

Well this is meant to be a 5 star hotel, the room was damp smelling and on parts of the wall there was damp growing on it, decor was old and the drapes were damaged and didnt match around the bed or the bath like in the picture, the best part of the room was the bathroom with its big walk in shower. Hot water was really hard to get any for the shower or jacuzzi. No umberella for when it rained, no hammock as advertised. Was offered a room change to one that smelt like the previous guests had spent their holiday urinating all over the room, this even took away the damp smell.

THE FOOD

This was by far the worst i have had anywhere, it is not a la carte at all, its small rubbish portion with a drizzle of oil, sauce ect over it served cold or if you are lucky luke warm. Deffinately not

a la carte standard. I think this is just a way to make the hotel sound fancy but is excuted extremley poorly and didnt work at all. I tried very a la carte and ended up not eating a thing. I'm allergic to egg and would ask for this to be left off what i would order, it would arrive covered in something that has egg in it so i could not eat it. I spent the whole holiday trying to get something to eat that was decent or hot. This was also the same with room service, they would repeat the order when you phoned it in and still delivery it cold and wrong. I spoke to both the holiday advisor, cheif concierge, food and beverage director but nothing improved. I was so hungry that i actually went and brought food from the walmart supermarket.

The personal concierge were totally useless, I asked 5 times for a umberella as it rained for 2 days, never got one and they could not even be bother to tell you that they were not giving you one. Would ask them for a golf car to pick you when it was raining but would never arrive either. They failed to book some of the trips to go out and never told you, leaving you waiting for the bus only to be told your names not on the list so you cant go. They were asked for the hammock but again they never supplied it. They were totally useless and served no point in being there as they didnt do the job when asked.

One other thing we cant get our head round is my partner bank card was cloned and tried to be used whilst staying at this hotel, it was kept in the very old safe ( at check in, you are give a barrel lock with a key in it, this is pushed into the safe to lock it ) We went to Cancun the day before it was attempted to be used on the hotel bus, the card was left in the safe as they just took money, i took my wallet with my cards in. The next day the card was attempted to be used and was blocked by the bank, despite them trying to contact the bank also. The address for the attempted transaction was Belize, this is next to Mexico. The card was not used during the holiday anywhere by us. We can not say its the hotel or the staff that had anythig to do with this for certain, They knew what time we would be out in Cancun and its something that just seems strange. The fraud dept at the bank seems to believe its to do with the hotel/ staff.

Just thought i would mention this just incase it is.

This hotel is over priced and poor quality, it does not delivery anything they advertise, its not romantic and it actually ruined the 30th birthday we were there to celebrate. The holiday was nothing but stressful and the best thing about it was leaving it. Paying what i paid to stay here was not worth the money, i actually was starving for the whole duration of the stay and this maid it even worse and frustrating that you just could not get anything hot or good to eat that.

This hotel is nothing what they advertise it as being and at most a 2 to 3 star hotel, Ive travelled alot all over the world and this is the worst i have stayed in.

Aviod and choose somewhere nicer.

We travelled with first choice/thomson holiday and i have to say that their holiday advisor at this hotel, Meredith is a total waste of time and was unable or more to the point did not want to help us whilst in resort to resove the problems we had. On return to the uk, Thomson are pretty much the same and do not want to take responsibilty for what happened in resort and still claim that this is a luxury top of the range resort, despite having mould infective room.

I have been also in email communication with the hotel but despite they admitting they had got it wrong whilst we there,even taking our room out of service, they have still yet to provide any explaniation to why their so called luxurious hotel let us down so badly whilst we were there. Still no explaniation to why the bank card was cloned whilst in their safe. This hotel is not what it appears on the website and travel brochure, its not 5 stars in my oppion and would be more suited to 2-3 star rating.

• Holiday details: Jan 2012, All Inclusive, booked with First Choice
  • Advice: dont go to this hotel in the first place, its not a luxury resort just below average resort
by dan

Royale treated us like Royality

"Wow what can I say - got back this month & wanted to stay longer it was wonderful. My wife & I went on honeymoon and without doubt the best holiday ever. Now looking to getting back there in 2012."

by Will of Stanwell

fantastic but book the correct room

" Great complex ,fantastic staff, good food and drink.

only problem was the room this was not 5 star, they it needed upgrading various problems I complained and they made an effort to sort it out but failed. We changed rooms in to another block of rooms that was newer and the decor etc was a good standard.

I would definetly go back but make sure we was in the better rooms ,if you have the spare cash stay in the adjoing hotel the Casitas it his mint.

• Holiday details: Nov 2010, All Inclusive, booked with Thomas Cook
  • Advice: pay more for a better room.
by ROGE

El Fantastico

"My wife and i went to this hotel on sep 23rd 2010 from the very moment you walk into the lobby you are greated with a glass of chilled champayne and are treated like royalty the rooms are nothing more than perfect we had a swim up room with a spa the resturants are second to none the food 1st class and the staff are a credit to the hotel they could not do enough for us smiling all the time helpful and in my opinion the best hotel ive ever been to and we have been all over the world on holiday we will be coming back as soon as time will let us and i just know we will be treated just the same like royalty."

• Holiday details: Sep 2010, All Inclusive, booked with First Choice
  • Advice: Just Go and Find out for Yourselves
by WESTHAM

Amazing Holiday at the El Dorado Royale

"We spent a week at the El Dorado Royale at the end of Mar, beginning of April 2009. After a 10 hour flight and a ridiculous carry on at the airport with the slowest baggage carousels on the planet we were happy to arrive at the El Dorado Royale. We were greeted with a cold glass of champagne in reception on arrival and our bags were immediately taken by the concierge while we checked in. Check in took all of 5 minutes and we were givena map of the resort, a guide to the activities that week and a list of te restaurants. We were then immediately greeted by our concierge who took us on a golf cart with our bags for a guided tour of the main resort before dropping us at our room, carrying our bags up and showing us how things worked.

Our room was a jnr garden view suite. Yes I have stayed in plusher but I had no complaints. It was meant to be authentic and had a rustic charm to it. The bed was a huge four poster and a jacuzzi bath in the room was a nice feature. The bathroom was large with a big walk in shower and there was plenty of wardrobe storage. The mini bar is restocked daily with 4 cans of beer, and a few bottles of water and cans of soft drinks. The maid service is very good, if you don't want to be disturbed just hang the sign. They left us some lovely towel art a couple of nights too. The hammock on the balcony is a lovely touch and became a nightly chill out place before heading out for dinner. Not a graceful look getting in or out but still fun!

The resort itself has beautiful gardens from the minute you walk out of main reception you are greeted with colour and lovely water channels and fountains. Our room overlooked this and it was lovely.

The food on the resort is of a high standard. You can choose from Italian, International (Cocotel), Oriental (Kampai), Fondue at La Fondue, Mexican (Fuentes), Carribean (Jo Jo's) and then a lovely open air restaurant too which was right opposite our room and overlooking one of the main pools. There's something for everyone, including 24hr room service. We only had to wait twice for a table and were given a pager. Once was 30 mins at the oriental (very popular) we just had a drink at the bar and headed across when our pager went, and then once for 10 minutes at Jo Jo's, again we just had a drink at the bar. You're on holiday, there's no rush, relax and enjoy. During the day you can choose from a range of places to eat from Jo Jo's on the beach to the pizzeria inbetween the main pool and the beach, there's also a health bar and a mexican, as well as a great guy who serves tacos from a stand.

All the pools have swim up bars and Alex at Tucanes makes the most amazing cocktails and always provides service with a smile. getting a sunbed does involve getting up early. The canopy beds around the main pools are always snapped up very early but we always got a standard sunbed at Tucanes if we got down before 9am. We didn't actually spend much time on the beach. It was quite windy while we were there and hubby not a fan of the sand. However we did go out jet skiing (very expensive). Yes there are sand bags, but they are there to protect and rebuild after the hurricane so just look past them and they're not that bad.

The main bars on a night are all good. The Martini Bar is lovely although air conditioned and a little cold, we preferred to sit in the open air, so we headed to the beach bar and then to Guacamaya where the main entertainment takes place. There's something every night and live music from around 9-9.30 until 2am.

We did take a dolphin trip booked through First Choice to Xcaret but after speaking to other people we believe we payed a little over the odds for this so I suggest shopping around before signing up to tours. There's lots to do on the resort from cocktail making, towel art, ceramics painting, spanish lessons, salsa dancing, water polo, volleyball, kayak racing and much much more, so if you want to get involved there's lots of options, if you want to kick back and relax you can do so too.

The El Dorado Royale resort is beautiful, weather gorgeous, food great and staff always gave service with a smile and you were always greeted with an "ola" in passing, it all makes for a lovely holiday experience. I would recommend this resort to anyone and would certainly go back.

• Holiday details: Apr 2009, All Inclusive, booked with First Choice
  • Activities: Jo Jo
by TheStokles

No Complaints Here

"We have just returned from a 10 day holiday at the El Dorado Royale. The food was fantastic, service amazing and the cleanliness of the resort is 100%. We stayed in an ocean view room overlooking the main pool. The room was slightly dated and possibly needed a revamp, but I cannot fault the room features (double jacuzzi, hammock, large bed) or anything else about the resort. Yes, they do use golf buggies at night and some do drive around without lights, but they all stop and say hello and in my book their people skills/customer skills were A1.

There are huge sand bags which have been deposite in the sea to stop the beach being eroded further, they look unsightly and you can only go in as far as waist deep into the sea. However, the fish are brilliant and the water is at bath temperature.

the hotel is about 25ks away from any other town, so you have to go everywhere by coach, or stay within the resort. Cancun is aweful, but Playa del Carmen has atmosphere. we swam with dolphins (a must).

If you are wondering about booking this resort, do it, you won't be disappointed, unless of course you are always disappointed with hotels!!!

• Holiday details: Mar 2009, All Inclusive, booked with First Choice
by catherine church

WARNING!

"Four of us stayed at the El Dorado Royale from 12.25.08 to 1.1.09.

Overall impression: A large middle-market property, lots of tattoos on women and pony-tailed men my age, beer pong at the pool, huge waistlines, guests are bobbing and weaving before noon. The topless scene at the beach gives the place that Euro flare; the bottomless dude is pushing the boundaries...

Rooms: Okay. Our "upgraded" rooms - on something called the Lazy River - are at the far end of the resort, but they're quiet and we're enjoying the walks to restaurants, the beach. We can hear the ocean. No internet access. Get to the bell desk at the entrance very early to get a copy of the Miami Herald. Water hammer is a problem I haven't encountered in years. A slow-to-drain sink calls to mind the Motel 6 we stay at when visiting my wife's kin in Kentucky. At the other end of the resort - literally and figuratively - are the Casitas. These certainly look more upscale, but guests there use the same eateries as us riff raff. We can move for a few extra bucks a day, but why on earth would we give these banditos any more money?

Food: Fortunately, I need to lose a few pounds and it won't be hard to do here. This place fancies itself as a gourmet dining destination, but what was conceived in the executive chef's kitchen has to be completely different from what's presented tableside.

--Small portions of poorly-prepared, tasteless food: Friday night's salmon (an ordering error to begin with) went back to the kitchen and replaced with an edible shrimp dish.

--Tuesday night's deck-of-cards sized steak drizzled with a white chocolate mole: my wife and I played half the deck and folded.

--A ceasar salad at beachside Jo-Jo's was a laughable attempt at minimalist deconstructionism: someone's been watching The Food Channel.

--The Health Bar makes a mean smoothie, but a decent cup of decaf is near impossible to find.

--The pan-Asian Kampai is a Panda Express with linens and booze, but at least we got enough to eat.

--We've discovered that room service breakfasts are an okay alternative.

--My recommendation: 1-800-GORDAN-RAMSEY. It'd make a great episode!

Service: Fair to poor with a notable exception or two. This is a big 600-room place with lots of guests at a busy time of year and the staff deals with it like that. The charming hospitality and well-trained staff we enjoyed at the Royal Hideaway are absent. The litmus test: it's been difficult to find staff worthy of a tip. My efforts to speak to the property manager about the Christmas Day Flood in room 5202 - an inch of water throughout the suite - were blocked repeatedly; it wasn't until I went to the front desk and insisted that I would wait indefinitely did he show up. Alejandro Lopez turned out to be a decent fellow and gave me the apology I was strangely obsessed with obtaining. Mauricio and Alex - our waiter and wine steward at Friday night's dinner - were personable and helpful, particularly Alex, a French-Canadian with an impressive knowledge of the resort's mostly overpriced wine list. "For New Year's Eve, we're offering a 10% discount on $900 bottles of Cristal." Yes, really.

Amenities: Gym: too many out-of-service signs - lots of use and not much maintenance; the place is dirty. Did I mention towel cards - shades of Club Med! The amigo who restocks the fridge doesn't take "no" for an answer - bounding in to carry out his duties while my wife's in bed saying "Not now" and I'm out. I was able to stop the insecticide guy from spraying our rooms, only because we were in them when they began. The girls love the beach and not the Las Vegas-wannabe pool scene.

Property: The landscaping is lovely and well tended. Not a single complaint about the perfect weather, but the beach is an eyesore as a result of hurricane damage.

Transportation: During the day, the resort staff transports themselves in golf carts that share the 6'-10' wide pedestrian paths. Guests quickly learn to walk on the edge of the walkway and to look carefully to the left and right before crossing. At night the carts run with no lights, which makes the sport even more entertaining.

• Holiday details: Dec 2008, All Inclusive, booked with Go Go
  • Advice: Playa's great...find somewhere else to stay!
  • Activities: Chichen Itza & Tulum are fun excursions
by Mojoman

Wonderful Place

"When we arrived after a 10 hour flight from England into a wonderful lobby/reception area. We were offered Champagne and eventually arrived at the front desk. We were asked for our details and these were checked on the system. We had booked an Ocean View room. We were told that they had an offer at the moment on a Casita room available for an additional $1400. We thought about this whilst the person was checking the computer. He then was informed by another member of staff that there were none available and that they had a Front Ocean View room available at an additional $850. Please bear in mind my opening line, we were very tired and all we wanted was some sleep. So we accepted the room. We were not offered site of the room we had booked at all. Ok, so the room had a front view of the ocean and was closer to the beach which was very nice. This did however bug me during the first week of our stay and I complained about the way this was done to the staff on several occasions, hard selling to people who are tired is unfair in my opinion. We were in room 4021 which was on the top floor of block 40. Directly behind us was a night club that was open until 0200hrs!!!!! Needless to say we were getting little sleep. So, we asked about moving further away. We were told that they had not had any other complaints about that room which was a lie! I found out later asking around. We eventually moved to an Ocean View room which was the room we had in fact booked! Room 4321 in block 43. This was perfectly adequate (apart from a rather nasty smell in the bathroom which they did try to reslove without success) and we could still see the ocean with a nice grassed area with swim ups and the main pool which I thought was a far more interesting view. And of course it was very quiet. We had a discount for the days left from the previous room which was more than acceptable. So BEWARE, make sure you stick to your guns and have the room you chose in the first place and upgrade later if you so wish. Don't accept block 40 else you will not sleep!!!

Another word of warning! Watch out for the notes pushed under the door from the Concierge. They offer various gifts for attending what they tell you is a 90 minute chat at the "Exotic". You are given the impression that this is securing rooms such as the Casita's or the Presidential Suites for future use with huge discounts. We didn't actually get sucked in but we were asked on several occasions to attend. We found out that this is "Time Share"!!!! One couple who we spoke to who had been "sucked in" spent 3 hours being grilled about this and were asked to commit to £29,000!!!!

Ok, enough of the moaning. The place is fantastic, the restaurants and food were wonderful. The service is exceptional throughout the complex. Adults only is also wonderful, we love kids to bits but it’s so nice to have the place so quiet apart from the club of course.

We also had to us the medical facility which was first class. The people that looked after my wife were excellent and very caring. She eventually had to go into Cancun to the hospital where she was treated by excellent staff and in no time at all we were back at the hotel $950 less but well worth it. Thank god we have insurance. We had several calls from the staff asking how my wife was which we thought was very nice indeed.

Watch out for the golf cars, they use these all over the resort as it’s so large. However, some of them are driven quite quickly, have no lights or horns/bells and so creep up on you at night. But they are so useful to get around the place. Take advantage of them to look around the resort.

The beach is lovely although rocky in places. They have also created sea defences consisting of large black sand bags which stretch along most of the beach. They didn’t affect our enjoyment of the sea at all as within them, nearest to the beach they created a sort of lagoon where you could enjoy the sea without the waves.

The wildlife is also good. We saw a Pelicans, Osprey, bats and the resident Iguana called “Tonita” although we think there were more than one looking at the holes under the pathways!

by B16DRW

A Fantastic Hotel!! If you want to...

"A Fantastic Hotel!! If you want to be pampered from the minute you enter the resort this is the place to go. As soon as you enter the lobby you are welcomed with a glass of champagne (always on ice and included in the all inclusive). Having never been to an all inclusive we were pleasantly suprised. All food is prepared and cooked especially for you no buffets.

We went in a basic junior suite which was a spacious room fully equiped. The air conditioning worked a treat and kept the room lovely and fresh. The jacuzzi in the room was great and we found ourselves wishing that we had one at home. Our male maid kept our spotlessly clean and nothing was too much trouble.

All staff treated us with respect and nothing was too much trouble. Palm trees gardens and fountains souround you wherever you are the site is also adequately lighted at night.

This truly is an all inclusive a la carte hotel and the only things that we needed to spend money on were the spa treatments and trips. As the hotel included 2 free trips per week this also did not come to a lot.

The beach was great, fish swimming around your feet and waiters bringing you drinks to your sun bed. There was entertainment day and night although this was not intrusive if that is not your cup of tea. We went for 2 weeks and plan to go back next year.

However we did encounter major problems with Thomas Cook before and after our holiday and would not entertain travelling with this company again!!

by L Walton

We would not recommend this hotel as...

"We would not recommend this hotel as there were concerns over security. The maid constantly left the balcony door open after cleaning and we had a souvenir item we had purchased go missing from the room. We reported this to security but there was nothing they could do.

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The food choice was limited towards the end of the holiday though.

by J Riddy

Our first time to Mexico, had a great...

"Our first time to Mexico, had a great time the El Dorado Royal was the best hotel we have stayed in. The service is a little slow some times but always with a smile the food very good there are also priemum drinks in the bars even the swim up bars. The only down side with the hotel is the waiting for a dinner slot if you are not in a casita room and cannot book and the saving of sun beds at 5 am by 8am they have all gone so they need more sunbeds. The down side of the holiday and the rating of 8 is for the flights which we took with first choice priemum paying £568 extra and My husbands tray table was broken and he had to try to hold a tray and eat with 1 hand and all drinks on my table on the flight home the headphone were not working nor the call button both of wich were important as had the seat belt sign on for 2 hours. But had a great time when we got there and the hotel staff are great. Booking again next year as only time husbands realy relaxed."

by J Morgan

1 2 3 »

Map for El Dorado Royale & Spa Hotel Closest airport: Cancun International (CUN) 17.7 miles