Ventura Cruise Ship

, P&O Cruises
hotel photo
Check the latest prices for this cruise
Show Prices Thomas Cook

1 2 36 »
Very disappointed on our first P&O Ventura cruise

"My husband and I have cruised before on the Royal Caribbean(Independence of the Seas) and Celebrity Cruises (Celebrity Solstice) and on both occasions we had a wonderful time and experienced fantastic service . We had our reservations about sailing with P&O Ventura because we had heard mixed reports. On the positive side of things, the embarkation went very well. We left our luggage at Gatwick and the next time we saw it, it was in our cabins. We felt this had been well organized.The entertainment overall was pretty good, but we had to ensure that we were seated in the theater by 10.00 pm for the start of the show at 10.30 pm or else there would be no seats available. The tea and coffee making facilities in the cabins were very welcomed. On the negative side of things, the service in all the restaurants was absolutely appalling! It was very slow and we had to put up with a lot of surly waiters. Our evening meals in the Saffron & Cinnamon restaurants was ok, we found we had limited choice. Breakfast in the Cinnamon room was a nightmare. For our entire stay, 14 days, we were served cold coffee and cold toast although we constantly complained about it.I resorted to having fruit and cereal and went back to the cabin to get a hot cup of coffee. The Ventura supposedly caters for 3000 passengers. However there is very limited outside space and as a result my husband and I had to fight our way through to try to get a table and chairs and/or sun loungers. The sun loungers were stacked together and we felt like sardines trying to sun bath. People "pre booking" their sun loungers by throwing their towels on them. Sea days were the worst days as everybody was fighting for the same small outside space. Trying to get breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea or dinner in the 24 hour restaurant Waterside, was like a bun fight. Constantly been prodded in the back with trays of food. Running out of milk and clean cups. No clean cutlery, the list is endless. Unhelpful waiters, I could just carry on and on.People that had previously cruised with P&O said that they felt that P&O have lowered their standards. Having said all of this, I ask myself whether I would cruise with P& O again - Honestly even though there were a few positives, we felt the negatives outweighed the positives and don't feel that we would like to experience that again. At times it felt like we were on a cheap all inclusive holiday resort and not a P&O ship."

by PMC

Disappointed

"Just returned from two week cruise Genoa - Venice.Not been cruising with p@o before but been with royal Caribbean. On first impressions it looked good, had a balcony. Room ok if a little small. Shower very good. Decor ok. Cleaning in rooms very poor, carpet not vacuumed every day, toilet constantly smelled. Food- extremely poor, not good quality meat, food in self service much worse, only areas where food any good was in the the supplement restaurants. Then there is the service - which we had to constantly complaining about. Taking your plates away before you have finished eating, trying to serve dessert at same time as cheese and biscuits and coffee! Rushing each course. Did not give any time between courses. Flies around the drink dispensers in the self service restaurants. ( for the full two weeks of our holiday) then there is the smoking. They allow smoking on the decks where you have no option but to walk through if you wanted to go to the pools. Smoking near the children's play area. Went on a couple of trips- went on one coach - no air conditioning in temperatures of 30 degrees!. I think p&o have really cut back on such a lot- will we book with p&o again. No way. My advice there are much better ships than Ventura."

by Spareroomgirl

First and Last

"This was our first ever cruise and we are unlikely to do another. We have just returned from a 7 day cruise Venice - Kotor - Corfu - Rome - Ajaccio - Genoa and were hugely disappointed with the experience. The boat was full - over 3000 passengers, meaning that all the facilities were crowded, particularly buffet breakfasts which were more akin to a rugby scrum. On our independent trips ashore everywhere was swamped with Ventura trippers. The entertainment was poor - OK if you like bingo, quizzes etc but really lacking if you are looking for something a little more mind stretching. Having said that the ship works like clockwork and the staff are excellent.

Other comments - there were a huge number of smokers and smoking is allowed in a number of areas which as a non-smoker you must walk through. If you decide not to do the black tie evenings (as we did) you are not allowed in most of the bars and restaurants so you feel like a second class citizen. We have never been to Butlins but we feel that the Ventura may well be a sort of 'Butlins Afloat'. We are sure many passengers enjoyed themselves but if you want a relaxing, unhurried, holiday where you can learn about the places you visit ashore with like minded travelers who are keen to explore new places then don't choose the Ventura.

by Newlyretiredhampshire

Ventura Med

"Traveled many cruises Royal Caribbean, Celebrity X, NCL my first time with PO, overall experience would not travel with them again. My husband and I are strict vegetarians, only one choice offered on main menu. When complained we were offered a different menu for vegetarians quality of food much better. Also I am disabled person limited to wheelchair who needs lots of equipment to travel. We were not informed FORMAL NIGHT was enforceable. We are limited to one suitcase between us as my equipment takes up space. We were refused entry to restaurant as my husband was not wearing a jacket. He was smartly dressed. It was even suggested staff wheeled me to table and my husband also my carer waited outside. He needs to be with me at all times in case I am taken ill. Also I need to eat at regular times. As we were turned away at 8.30pm we then went to buffet (Waterside) the only vegetarian food available was dried up pasta. This was not acceptable. After complaining we were provided a dried jacket potato. Feeling very unhappy and distressed we went to find bar for a drink and again refused entry because of lack of jacket. This whole incident spoils our holiday. Next day spoke to head of restaurants and were told its COMPANY POLICY no exceptions. He could not provide us with anything in writing to state this. As stated above we are limited to what can be carried in our luggage. It was suggested we pay to go into the other restaurants but we felt why should we when we have already paid for our meals. Very dissatisfied with PO attitude towards disabled passenger."

by Disabledlady

Venture onto Ventura

"Travel to Venice from Manchester was excellent with checked in luggage not seen again until it appeared outside the cabin and the same on return with luggage collected outside cabin by 11.00 pm and taken direct to aircraft.

We arrived in Venice around 12.00 local time had a short,smooth transfer to the terminal and the usual check in queues but on ship and in Cabin by 1.30. As sail away was not until after 7.00pm we were lucky enough to get into Venice on a P&O organized water taxi but a cost of £15 pp.

Sail away at sunset from Venice was an impressive sight.

We were on a table of 6 in the Bay Tree Restaurant on the 8.30 sitting and only went 4 out 7 nights as the menu was poor with some strange combinations, e.g. smoked salmon and chips, veg was often cold and portions were smallish which was certainly not what was expected on a P&O ship. The food in the self service restaurants was no better than canteen quality again with basic menu's lacking imagination other than a good daily curry. Only the Marco Pierre White themed White Room restaurant was up to scratch with excellent food and wine available at an additional £30 pp. Costa Coffee shop also has an additional charge.

The entertainment was pretty good apart from the first comedian who emptied the Club in minutes however the other comedians, Tribute singers and bands were much better with the Opera Boys and Tucker standing out. With the staging of the shows be prepared to move around from show bar to show bar to theater which gets a bit tedious.

I felt drinks were a tad expensive and it all stopped around midnight.

Our real issue with P&O was the quality of the staff as other than our room steward William the rest were pretty much a sour faced and unengaged bunch and I would include waiters, bar, security and reception staff.

All in all when compared to our previous cruising experiences P&O just did not reach the standards of Royal Caribbean and I get the feeling that the P&O Med Fly Cruise is done on a tight cost basis a which has resulted in a drop in quality also confirmed by many of our fellow travelers so no more P&O for us

• Holiday details: Apr 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Eat in the Beach House , White Room or East restaurants
by Graeme K

7 day venice,kotor,corfu,rome adjaccio cruise 09/04/14

"Our first fly cruise.

Positives

luggage transferred direct to cabin and on return to aircraft.

disembarkation and transfers at port destinations +++

cabin clean and excellent cabin/restaurant service

food/restaurants excellent bay tree, whites, east all +++++

ship well maintained. Always sun loungers available pools clean

entertainment diverse and of high standard.

Drink prices reasonable 14e for bottle wine

Negatives

We had a stern cabin on c deck, vibration from engine/propeller

On arrival at Venice had to wait 1hr+ to board ship lots of queuing.

health spa expensive

Conclusion Would definitely recommend this cruise and ship.

• Holiday details: Apr 2014, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Read daily ships newspaper for current information on activities, disembarking, etc
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by retepdraw

Happy memories of a wonderful holiday

"Four friends traveled on Ventura from the Caribbean to Malaga in March. We had a wonderful time and met so many lovely people on board. The inside cabin was as expected with good facilities, the food on board was very good, entertainment varied/enjoyable and the staff excellent. We were allocated freedom dining and would choose this option again as we were allocated a table upon arrival at rest and enjoyed meeting other passengers. The price of drinks etc was reasonable and the cocktail of the day good value. All in all we had a wonderful cruise with the added bonus of warm weather and calm seas."

by Linda R

Chav city afloat

"First and last time, cruise for me. The cost of cruises has come down . They use to be unaffordable luxury holidays for Mr average. How times have changed and it's easy to see why. I suggest anyone thinking of holidaying on the Ventura, should have a rethink. It may cost much more to travel on another ship, but well worth it. Too many low life chavs for my liking, felt like I was at a cheap holiday camp. Too busy, too noisy, long queues, drunks wearing virtually no clothes. I could go on. Not for me, would rather stick pins in my eyes and jump overboard, totally horrendous. Think Blackpool meets Benidorm, with a bit of Butlins thrown in, thanks, but no thanks. Chavs are welcome to it."

• Holiday details: Nov 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Don't go
by Jabby

Ventura so disappointed

"I've only ever done 5 cruises all with Thomson but thought they had dropped there standards so decided to o p,o. Well to start the Ventura is different class to Thomson but to be fair Thomson ships are very old.well that's were p and o end finishing on top.the staff are as miserable ad the staff were I work except the cabin lad hen going to bar you are met with rudeness and told to sit down as and will be served in reply to this one gentleman begged for forgiveness as relish he been so rude it prob cost him his job and was lucky as close to throwing him overboard.food canteen standard and nighttime meals average and most people paid to go other restaurants as boring and served in such a hurry most people had indigestion. Stops at ports so short feel like I did transatlantic cruise as left ports after 5or 6 hours obvious to get more money out of you on ship. Overall so disappointed everything on ship is about making money but most disappointed with staff and should employ Philippine staff as they different class as happy all time and never ever rude,Thomson old ships but with great welcome p and o. Money money money"

• Holiday details: Aug 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Get rid of 70 per cent staff
by Walter mallin

Mediterranean Cruise

"My friend and I have just returned from a Mediterranean Cruise in the Ventura and must admit that there have been positives and negatives about this holiday. The positives include an ideal itinerary, excellent service by our cabin steward and various personnel around the ship and the entertainment provided a full and varied selection.

Unfortunately, our cruise worked out more expensive that we had planned as we were unhappy about the food and service in the Saffron Restaurant. As a result we ate at various other establishments during the 14 days which added additional cost to our bill. The Glasshouse Restaurant was excellent and is a "must" for anyone going on the Ventura. The staff and food were first class and the supplements reasonably priced. The Ventura is a lovely ship, very clean and caters for all tastes. Future passengers should remember though that this is a family-friendly ship and there are a number of children on board. Not one for people who prefer "adult only" cruises.

If a quieter holiday is your preference on the Ventura, ask about the Retreat either before or whenever you board the ship. We would have liked to make use of this facility, despite the fact that it involved an additional cost, but numbers are limited and we were unable to access this. On the open deck, sunbeds were numerous but afforded little space - not conducive to relaxed sunbathing.

Apart from the above, everyone has their own personal preferences and we have decided that the Ventura will not be our first choice in the future.

Norma C

• Holiday details: Jul 2013, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Ask for details of The Retreat either before or early on the cruise.
by Norma C

Disappointment

"Just to warn anyone without children with them on a cruise DO NOT go on Ventura.We were mislead into thinking that this Strictly Come Dancing cruise would be for adults in the most part. Surely going out of school holidays and with ballroom dancing as the theme , most people would have thought the same. But unfortunately the Captain had other ideas. There were hundreds of children on board because apparently in Scotland and some other parts of the UK the children had started their holidays. Okay we should have done our homework, but did they really want to be there with the Strictly theme ! No they didn't they wanted to splash and jump and dive in the pools and scream and shout as loud as possible with the playleaders encouraging them to do so. So when we realised that despite having 2 very large pools for the kids the smaller one had also been taken over by them. When we complained in a very nice way to reception, we were told that the Captain had changed the policy of keeping one pool adults only and if we didn't like it we should have gone on one of their adult only ships!! Not a very nice response. It wasn't until a few days later that another passenger told us that we could use the Spa pool ( all be it tiny)even if we didn't use any other facilities. Why didn't reception tell us this?!

This was one of many complaints. The buffet food was boring and repetitive and not good quality. The main dining food was decent but not first class, you could see that corners were being cut everywhere. Small choice of rolls, only 2 days were we offered luxury food and all of it on those 2 days because they knew if lobster and fillet steak etc were on menu daily we'd all want them. So the other days were ordinary food. The service in the main restaurant was diabolical. The waiters served the food across us instead of from behind, we were not given choice of rolls, they were just plonked on our plates. We had to send 5 glasses back because they were dirty. We were not given the choice of cheese and biscuits at the end of the meal and the coffee was awful.

Room service had such a limited menu and much of it was extra charge. AND NO complimentary soft drinks or ice cream !!! Only free drinks were tea,coffee and water! We had this and so much more on Queen Victoria. There is no comparison between the 2 ships. Cunard and the Queen Vic are head and shoulders above Ventura and P&O in every single department. When you walk onto the Queen Vic you feel special and there is that Wow factor. Everything about it is better. How P&O thought they could pull off a Ballroom Cruise without a ballroom I don,t know!! Their ballroom is no bigger than a postage stamp and no seating to speak of. After 2nd sitting dinner we couldn't find seats there or almost anywhere where anything was going on. No escorts for the dancing (probably cos there was no room!)

The pluses were the Shows and Craig Revel Horwood (Really Good)and the size of our cabin and the bath and the cabin steward and the hairdresser in the Spa.But overall it was so

disappointing after 2 wonderful cruises on the Queen Victoria. BE WARNED UNLESS YOU'RE A FAMILY WITH YOUNG CHILDREN< STEER WELL CLEAR!!!!!!!!!!! I also would add that the Vantage fares are a fraud! We booked and paid full price 6 months in advance on the misapprehension that if prices went down so would ours! There were hundreds on the ship who paid much, much less than us and all requests for any refund/upgrade or any help with price at all was refused.

All in all very dissatisfactory. We will never cruise with P@O again.

by sangerry

Enjoyable holiday

"We are just about to go back on the ventura for the 2nd time. I have travelled with P&o cruises since I was a little girl aged 6 years when we first went on the Canberra. I am now 32 and have continued to travel with p&o with my parent/family and also my own family. We have been on most of the ships except the arcadia. I feel very protected of my cruises holidays when I hear people saying it is like butlins or Skegness!!! I mean really, what are you talking about. The only problem with p&o is the few snobs that continue to travel on the family ships like ventura and Azura and constantly moan about genuine hard working families having a hard earned break. Why dont't they pay and go on the adults only ships that p&o provide, like arcadia where they can mixed with all the other 50-90 year olds.

My family and I are a diverse range, Im a district nursing sister, my husband a baker, my parents own their own business, so we are just hard working really people. I can absolutely say that I have completely enjoyed 99% of every single cruise I have ever been on since I was a child. The food is outstanding, especially in the main restaurants, where you are served 5 courses over 2 hours plus. The ventura is a beautiful ship, very large, lots of walking around, but so much to do and see. The entertainment is always of a great standard and there is something different every night. You can really do as much or as little as you like. I is a floating, exciting and relaxing city.

My family and I are so excited about our next cruise and we are packing already. I love to dress up in the evenings and almost everyone joins in with the dress code. Those people that don't join in usually stay out of the main restaurants, but I feel that is there holiday and they are enjoying it as they wish. I don't understand why some people gets so upset and disgusted by how other people are dressed. (only the snobs gets upset and moan, Im sorry but you do and its pathetic.

P&o are an excellent cruises company and have never let us down.

What a wonderful way to enjoy your holiday than to spend 2 weeks on board the ventura and be totally pampered.

Please don't be put off by the very few snobs that sail on board these ships. This is a behaviour I have seen for many years and like I say it is the only thing I don't like about the cruise. Some people think they are a cut above the rest.

Hope you enjoy your cruise, because we always do and many friends and family of mine have enjoyed these cruises for many many years.

Just one last piece of advice! Once you start cruising, you'll get the cruises bug ha ha ha. Enjoy!!!!!!

• Holiday details: Sep 2012, Booked Independently

Food: 8/10
Value: 6.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10
Location: 8.5/10

Need a hotel before or after your Ventura cruise?

Check out these recommendations in ports for upcoming itineraries

Top traveller tips for Ventura Cruise Ship
  • by Domar

" Book a room woth a balcony as it is worth the extra money and you don't have to worry about getting a sunbed. Also choose the freedom dining as it fits in better with your day "

• by Alison Thompson

" Make sure you are aware of the Waiter service a la carte in the Beach House in the evenings...Fantastic views and service "

• by G Hill

" enjoy the food,its all wonderful! "

• by Jan Bradley

" Go to the Metropolis Bar, entertainment is first class. "

• by bigdendahat

" keep a regular check on your on board spending at reception....3-4 times per week "

Do you own Ventura Cruise Ship?

Stayed on Ventura Cruise Ship? Share your insight.