Hotel Monopol

Good

Service: 8.5/10
Cleanliness: 8.5/10
Location: 9.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Hotel Monopol

It is very difficult to assess this...

"It is very difficult to assess this hotel as it is very unusual but appealing, all the staff and management are excellent, food was average and would have been better if was hotter.it is some of the rooms that let this Hotel down for the same price the rooms differ termendously, our room 206 had a balcolney but did not get any sun at any part of the day, the room overlooks the side road and was very noisey,( not Carnival ) just general noise buses road cleaning etc.), The bathroom also had a slight smell of sewage if the windows were closed, the beds reminded me of when I was in the forces in 1958, I would only go back To the Monopol if I was garranteed one of the rooms at the front which over loooks the square. Overall I have had better 3 star Hotels for less money."

by D.J Goulder

Hotel should be called the MONOPOLY !

"This hotel should be renamed the MONOPOLY, because it really is a dice-throw what sort of accomodation you will get ! My wife and I stayed for 14 days over Christmas and New Year 2007/8, and we booked through Travel Republic. We specifically booked a double room with balcony, but on arrival we had been allocated a pokey 10 foot by 8 foot room with a window with a view of a brick wall 10 feet away, and YES, the wallpaper was peeling, and the whole room needed a make-over. The bathroom was so small you could stand in the middle and easily touch all 4 walls, and the shower was dangerous, because an unshielded flourescent lamp was no more than 9 inches from the shower head (see pictures) - this would be totally illegal in the UK, and it is lethal !

I complained to the manager of the hotel, and was told that they could do nothing about the room, because there were no better alternative rooms available, and if a better room became available through a cancellation, they would let us have it (this didn't happen, of course). During the course of our stay we met others who had complained and had been told exactly the same thing. This hotel should really be more honest when accepting bookings for rooms with balconies, when they obviously don't have them.

The hotel itself was quite good for a 3*, although I'm quite glad that I was on a B & B only basis, because the cooked breakfasts were quite cold, and the waiters seemed to be more intent on lurking around and talking to each other, than actually clearing any tables.

The hotel is located in a great position in the centre of the resort, in a pedestrian area opposite a square with a large church (with a clock that chimes the hours and half hours 24/7). On "feast days" they have open-air events like concerts and childrens' shows in this square, so rooms at the front of the hotel will get noise from these. The Plaza Charco is only a five minute stroll away, where you can sit and have a drink and watch the world go by.

I didn't let the room spoil my holiday, but I would not stay at the Monopol again, because I feel that they conned me. I would also NOT recommend this hotel for people with younger children.

Hotel plus points - kept very clean, mainly friendly staff, good central position in town. Hotel minus points - some rooms obviously not as "per brochure", cold food, not for light sleepers.

by zebedeee

Failing to keep up with the times..no air con is a big minus!

"I have a friend who would never go anywhere else than the Monopol,whilst myself would never go there again.!. I now use it as a toilet stop being convenient to the town in general!. No air con' is a big minus especially in the summer months when the noise from the discos is overpowering.and windows must remain shut. When I was there years ago, waiter service was the norm with live classical music whilst you dined...no longer of course I understand?.. Family run yes, but that means little these days except it has to become more cost effective and frugal in some respects to survive!"

by oldieUK

It pays to get the right room.

"Not the best hotel in Puerto,but any self-respecting regular visitor to the town really should make at least one stop here,purely for the ambience of the place.I find it hard to be critical of the Monopol but that is the nature of writing a balanced review.I will list a few things,but don't let it put you off going here.

Depending on what time of year you wish to go,the front of the hotel has balconies overlooking the church and are south facing.It's is probably worth booking one of these rooms in advance for the cooler months as the sea facing rooms get no sun at all and suffer from quite a cold feeling keen breeze blowing in off the sea.The northerly trade winds are very common.The majority of sea view rooms do not have balconies.My room was overlooking the church,and these rooms do not have air-conditioning.I don't know if the sea-facing rooms do or not.The downside to my room was the noise during the night,especially fri+sat from the local disco kids.I wasn't over impressed by the local council jetwashing the main thoroughfare at 2.30am either.There is no way you can sleep with the door open which could make it very hot during the warmer months.There is a fan on the ceiling,but whether that would make much difference is open to discussion.

Food.A reasonable selection except for the main course at night which I found quite poor.What food there was though was fantastically cooked.Very much a case of quality than quantity.

Staff.Very friendly and professional,and had a good command of foreign languages.It was also nice to see the boss was prepared to get his hands dirty and take pride in his job.

Overall,well worthy of it's 3*rating,a very well run small family business that to me had more plus points than negatives,but I could understand some travellers possibly not enjoying their stay, room and time depending.Apart from the odd blip,I quite enjoyed it.

by parkzik

An excellent hotel with character, in...

"An excellent hotel with character, in the centre of Puerto. Ideally situated for exploring all of the surrounding area.

Very friendly service and breakfast could not be faulted. One mark lost for the bedroom - a little jaded but clean and well looked after each day.

A big enough pool with more than enough sun beds and tables, and towels available by just asking at the bar.

by J Smith

A centrally positioned hotel. Ideal...

"A centrally positioned hotel. Ideal for the older traveller with walking problems like myself.

Lots of walking on the flat, but if you want hills, there are plenty.

A lovely hotel, friendly staff, good food, quiet and well maintained.

We had a lovely time.

by Christophe Perkins

Our party of 5 thoroughly enjoyed our...

"Our party of 5 thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this friendly family hotel.

Good choice of buffet style food, helpful and fun staff. Real sense of family. Definitely recommend.

Ask for rooms on second or higher floors as ground floor can be a bit noisy.

Great for the more mature traveller, lots of steps but lifts to all floors.

Swimming pool, sauna and Jacuzzi very clean and easy to use, sun terraces well equipped with towels etc.

Bars within the hotel tend to close early, but plenty of bars, restaurants in very close vicinity of hotel.

by  Gill Poole

Perfect hotel for anyone wanting a...

"Perfect hotel for anyone wanting a quiet well-run hotel that does not have youngsters running wild all over the place. The service is excellent and all the employees from check-in to room-service cannot do more to be helpful to their guests.

The restaurant is self-service but the food is good and varied. And the restaurant chief, Lucio, will make you very welcome. All-in-all the ideal Hotel for the more mature end of the market.

by J M Rothera

We have read a number of reviews...

"We have read a number of reviews about this hotel, one of which nearly put us off staying at the Monopol.

We are glad that we ignored it! Overall we were pleased with the hotel. The location has got to be one of its good points, especially for people who don’t really appreciate being out on a limb, far away from the amenities and the lovely old town with lots to see....really good if you like to explore but don’t want to walk for miles and miles from your hotel to do so.

The hotel itself feels very safe.....this is a place that you would feel comfortable coming to on your own, the guests tend to be in the 50+ age group from all nationalities and tend to be very welcoming...and inclusive.....The room we stayed in was very basic, don’t expect hospitality trays or fabulous decor....there was a nod towards 2005 in the form of a television. The rest of the room took us back to the 1980's…

What we did appreciate though was exemplary housekeeping, although a little faded and somewhat tired our room and bathroom was attended to daily with clean towels provided and the staff who did this work were charming. The Staff and Canarian lounge were fabulous, food o.k. too.

by And L Pringle

Nice and friendly hotel , it has a...

"Nice and friendly hotel , it has a nice swimming pool , sauna and Jacuzzi, which was great. nice breakfast and dinner. Definitely a great hotel.

The hotel has friendly staff which was good , and they all spoke English and some other languages as well. The hotel was run by the Galaxier family for over 75 years.

The rooms are clean and fixed (the bed is changed and the floors are cleaned and towels changed) every day. The hotel also has entertainment at night which was fantastic

Nice local shops and only a walk down the road to the beach , right near the hotel you can see some spectacular views.

it might be 3 star but it feels like a 5 star hotel.

100% recommended.