Campo Smith Village Hotel & Apartments

Good

Room: 7.5/10
Service: 7.5/10
Value: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Campo Smith Village Hotel & Apartments

Disaster

"If you are a skier this place is ok to go to however there is nothing else to do.

Town is closed between 11.30am and 3.30pm. Buses only run until 5.30pm. There are no taxis to be found. Sports centre opposite does not open until 3pm daily. Hotel swimming pool and wellness centre closed until 3pm daily. If you take HB whilst staying in apartments you are to eat in a different restauarant and served different food which was very indifferent. Better Italian food served in the UK.

Apartments are ok.

• Holiday details: Feb 2012, HB, Booked Independently
by GMJ

Hot Water after 5pm - NO

"Just returned from a week in Bardonecchia, stayed at the Hotel Rive (Campo Smith). Position ideal for access onto the slopes but if you want to bath/shower between 5pm amd 8.00pm FORGET IT. The response from reception was that the hotel was full, so obviously not designed to operate when busy."

• Holiday details: Jan 2010, Half Board, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Not much in the village
by alanarm

Too many guests = no hot water!

"Very comfortable hotel but incredibly busy with Italian school children ( noisy, but well behaved). They were sleeping 4/5 to a room and every evening the hot water would run out by 6ish. Response from reception - "too many people in the hotel" - we were not impressed.

There are no lounge or bar facilities in the hotel; we travelled as a group of 10 ladies and there was nowhere in the hotel to meet and have a cup of tea as we came off the slopes and nowhere to have a quiet drink before or after dinner. We could not be bothered to put on boots/jackets to go outside through the snow to the noisy bar owned by the hotel.

Staff were delightful, food was excellent, rooms too hot nd difficult to persuade the heating to go off.

The ski/boot lockers are COLD; take your ski boots up to your room unless you want cold, damp boots every morning

• Holiday details: Jan 2010, Half board, booked with Thomson
  • Advice: Very busy, not great for beginners, early intermediates.
by mapsal

great place,good luck at the airport.

"Landed at Turin airport and waited about one hour before any bags came through.Transfer time was about ane and a half hours.The hotel was very nice and the staff very helpful.This was our first sking holiday and booked into the ski school,wich i would highly recomend.

The sking instructurs were very patient.

It had snowed heaverly the week before we arrived,so all of the run were open.We thought some of the [easy]runs were quiet chalenging,with us being beginners.But by the last two days we were getting the hang of it.

There is a very good restaurant next to the swimming pool were a large pitza was six euros.

The room was very warm,so we sleped with the door open.

One complaint was the noise from other rooms,the walls are thin.

• Holiday details: Dec 2009, Room Only, booked with First Choice
by emmersonchl

Fantastic first ski trip in...

"Fantastic first ski trip in Christmas07

Very good accommodation, very spacious and good kitchen facilities. Very clean and comfortable beds. Large bathroom too. Good food in local restaurants and not expensive. Excellent Christmas meal in the hotel resturant. Hotel staff are very helpful anf friendly. Supermarket not within walking distinct but good free bus service (no.1) with bus stop just outside the hotel. People in Bardonecchia are very friendly.

Access to the slope is absolutely Fab.

The spa room is very small and water not hot otherwise 10/10. Neilson's local rep was very helpful and can be found in Clippo (the pub at the slope).

Will definitely go back again.

by J T

Went with my wife and 2 children in...

"Went with my wife and 2 children in the half term holidays in February this year.

The rooms were superb with plenty of room, clean and right on the slopes. You can take a lift down to the lockers, put your boots on and a few yards you are on the slopes.

The ski school meets right by the hotel and the lifts start from there as well. It can be a bit hectic to begin with, but you are not waiting more than 5 minutes to get away.

There wasn't a great amount of snow but they were maintained very well during the night to ensure there were no pistes shut. There was also a good variety, we have all been skiing before but found the beginners slopes much more difficult than other resorts.

Eating out is very cheap compared to this country. We ate at an Italian Pizzeria which is on the walk into town which we found excellent and very friendly. There was a lack of a decent supermarket in town but as we ate out every night it wasn't a problem.

There is a bus service which takes you in and out of the centre of town which was very handy.

We will definitely return to Bardonecchia again in a couple of years.

by M Jones

First ski trip I decided to go to...

"First ski trip I decided to go to Bardonecchia. Had an absolute ball can't wait for next year.

Apartments were big and warm. Only problem is showers are very small and beds not the most comfortable especially when you're sore.

Après ski was quiet enough but don't know how I would have managed hungover. Ski school was brilliant. Had a great instructor (Giuseppe - who also happened to be gorgeous).

Think I'll be skiing every year for the rest of my life now I've caught the bug.

Town is pretty small not a whole lot to buy gift wise. Roll on 2008.

by Kelly

My partner and I along with my eight...

"My partner and I along with my eight year old son had a really great holiday at Campo Smith.

The hotel/ apartments were really clean and very warm; the rooms were huge with big balconies. You had everything you needed here in one place the ski hire and storage were all based at the hotel. The ski school, the lifts and slopes were right next to the hotel.

We had an ace instructor called Fulvio he was fantastic and my son finished his holiday a competent and I think maybe a life long skier thanks to him. We loved Cippos the bar straight across from the hotel; we had a warm welcome from all the staff including Cippo himself.

Happy hour and sky TV made this the place to be. The food in the bar was excellent. But be careful in the day because Cippo has a huge dog called Nelly who loved to beg for your food when you were sat outside the bar after a hard days ski!

The après ski at the bar was excellent, bum boarding competitions on the slopes near the bar a quiz night and moonlight skiing with glow sticks down the mountain, followed by a meal at Cippos, all made for an entertaining holiday.

We made some great friends and laughed so much. We did not have a lot of snow while we were there but the snow cannons made it still possible to enjoy a good amount of skiing. The location was fantastic and only approximately 1 hour 15 min from Turin airport.

I would thoroughly recommend this for beginners and intermediate skiers. We would love to go back again to this resort.

by C Key

We had a great time in Bardonecchia,...

"We had a great time in Bardonecchia, snow was excellent and suited all the groups needs.

Slopes are excellent for beginners & intermediates. For some challenging advanced you can always try some of the off piste and there are a selection of resorts very near to Bardy.

They say the après is quiet but we discovered Cipos "Colomion" across the piste from the apartments and were the place to be.

They were so helpful and friendly, open from morning to midnight, great food, lunch menu and a different evening menu. Great for families as Cipo supplies bum boards so the kids can play outside whilst the adults have a few beers. Sky TV, quiz night, and some great meals. This really made our holiday and was so reasonably priced.

Lessons were excellent with Gleise, again for a well priced holiday we really got so much from our week skiing.

Will be back next year.

by T Lyons

My holiday to Bardonecchia was my...

"My holiday to Bardonecchia was my first ski trip and although we travelled near the end of the season, was still looking forward to it.

Slightly worried when coach pulled into the town and there was a distinct lack of snow! However when we came into sight of the Campo Smith, amazingly placed for the slopes, my fears were relieved.

The hotel is smack bang next to the ski hire shops/bar & restaurant/ski school and the chair lifts. You can leave your room in the morning and within a couple of minutes you are up the mountain!

We stayed in the self catering apartments (for 3 people) consisted of a double room and a sofa bed. They also have 5 people apartments. The rooms were tidy and kitchen facilities all appear to be fairly new. Also had TV and balcony overlooking the rear of the hotel (onto the slopes). Big heated towel rail in bathroom was excellent too!

There is also locker storage located in the hotel basement for ski and boot storage, only costing a few euros to hire this for the week. From here you can access the slopes without having to go out through hotel.

Didn’t sample any of the catering in the hotel but there was a restaurant and bar.

The town itself is quite small and après ski isn’t too plentiful. The Guinness bar is where we headed to most nights. The bartender was very nice and welcoming and as we headed there every night, we soon got to know him.

The only drawback about the hotel, is that in the evenings you have to walk into town as the local bus service quits about 6pm. Only takes about 10-15mins but after a day on the slopes walking isn’t first on my list of things to do!

Another good pub is the wine bar (if you can find it) lots of different wines and again a very warm welcoming atmosphere. Ask your rep how to get here.

There are quite a few restaurants to choose from - we ended up going to an Italian (surprisingly enough!!) which is a few mins walk from the hotel - pizzas were to die for!

The skiing was god too - maybe not enough for the advanced skier but fine for beginner or intermediate. There is also a half pipe further up the valley. This is where the snowboarding events are being held in 2006 for Winter Olympics.

I had a good time here, enjoyed the skiing and the hotel was in a great location and of a good standard.

The town is maybe a bit small and quiet but if it’s your first time skiing then it’s a great place to come.

Although it can get quite busy at weekends due to proximity to Turin. (Another good point - 2hr transfer time!!).

by aqua76

Read more reviews of Campo Smith Village Hotel & Apartments at TripAdvisor

Map for Campo Smith Village Hotel & Apartments Closest airport: Turin International (TRN) 15.3 miles

Top traveller tips for Campo Smith Village Hotel & Apartments
  • by emmersonchl@aol.com

" I would recomend it but take some ear plugs "

Do you own Campo Smith Village Hotel & Apartments?

Stayed at Campo Smith Village Hotel & Apartments? Share your insight.