Villas Coral Beach

Good

Service: 7.5/10
Value: 8.5/10
Location: 6.5/10

peaceful and relaxing stunning views

"great value for money , very relaxing holiday, staff are very very friendly and helpfull.

villas are spotless. well worth a visit

• Holiday details: Apr 2011, All Inclusive, Booked Independently
by alfe

Stunning Views, tranquil and relaxed

"I stayed here with my three children, ages 16,13 and 11. I was worried at first because I did not realise it was so remote and that there would be no holiday rep entertainment for the children or theme parks to hand. We arrived late at night and there was no life on the nearby streets.

The next morning, all was much better. The children resigned themselves to a different type of holiday, which involved entertaining themselves. They love swimming, so the uncrowded pool was a great hit. The views from the resort were stunning. Unfortunately, a sandy beach was not on the edge of the resort as would appear from the website photos, but the children loved climbing the rocks to meet the sea, then sitting on the rocks and being lashed by the big waves.

I hired a bike so I was able to investigate the local area and sus out how far things really were. The local seaside town of Playa Blanca is only a 15 minute taxi ride (you cannot walk it, I tried!!) which only cost 5 euros. Everything you want is there and the supermarkets close late. The restaurants are great and good value and the town is lovely day and night. There was an ice-cream stand on the seafront and the seller would put sparklers in the children's cones. A great sight against the night sky. There are lovely beaches are and sunbeds and umbrellas are only 2.50 euros each for the day!

You can walk to the beach if you pick up the seafront promenade by the local lighthouse near the hotel - only a 15 min walk to meet the path. This is a paved path all the way along the seafront right into Playa Blanca. Took me about 35 mins on my bike (I am a keen cyclist) but I tried to walk it and in the sun it's too much. You can however walk enough of it to take in the stunning views and secluded beaches and local cafes, etc. My children enjoyed discovering the many the rock pools when the tide was out. The sea was lovely and refreshing.

The hotel did not have a shop for basic groceries, although there was one in the making that never opened during our 2 week stay. The staff directed us to a precinct that was hidden among a local housing estate across what looked like a derelict site of dust and rubble. It's a short 10 min walk directly opposite the hotel entrance. You cannot get lost because there is a well trodden pathway to follow. The shop had all we needed and what it did not have we stocked up in the town. Two days before we left, the hotel installed a pool table and football table, which was great for the kids.

Next to the shop is an English cafe and pub. Two familis working in partnership - The Lighthouse Cafe. You must try the food there! Good, home-cooked meals. Good portions and very good value for money. Try the chocolate fudge pudding! We went there nearly every other day!! The kids loved to play pool there as well as the food. I went there so often mainly because they kept asking. When my sister and her family arrived, they were hooked too. The atmosphere was very relaxed and friendly and the bar was next door! The footpath is not lit after dark so we had to use our mobile phones to light the way until the street lamps came into play, but kids found this fun.

Overall, this was a great holiday. No theme parks, no loud music around the pool, you make it what you want it. We did more things together as a unit and the kids loved that too. The basis is there - great clean modern accommodation, lovely grounds and facilities, a pool that was never crowded and a more upbeat tempo a short taxi ride away. The hotel restaurant was fine. Buffet style, good choices. We tried it once but preferred to go out most evenings.

I was disappointed there was no internet at the time of stay but many internet cafes/bars in town at reasonable rates. Car hire recommended but if you just planning to make use of local amenties, then taxis will do. Car hire very cheap in town, rather than the hotel. Have fun, it's lovely!!

by Krazy Chicken

Complex built in 2005, but only...

"Complex built in 2005, but only opened in July 2008. Little information on web before we went. On the whole, not a bad complex with 60 single storey apartments/units, each with lounge, kitchen, bathroom and 2 bedrooms. Also with large veranda/terrace area. BUT please beware of the location! It is quite a way out of Playa Blanca on the west side, in a residential area (also looked like lot of private villas). Taxi ride into Centre of Playa Blanca was 5 Euros each way, as it is at least 3 miles away. There is a small row of shops/restaurants a 10 minute walk away (over waste ground - no good at night!) but they all seem to be struggling/closed. There are 2 small supermarkets, a couple of english bars (1 had been closed down the day we arrived for noise problems!) a chinese restaurant (very nice, but how long it will survive is questionable as it was never very busy), a couple of other restaurants (not very exciting) and a dodgy looking cafe! And an estate agent I think, but it was never open. There were several empty units in the block and the general feel was a bit "down at heel".

Back at the complex things were very new to the staff!!! The restaurant wasn't great - we ate there on first night - most of the buffet dishes were luke warm and not very appetising I am afraid. There was no enetrtainment / live music and nothing for the kids! They do have 2 tennis courts (1 full size and 1 mini-tennis) and on our last day a pool table and a table football machine arrived.

We were forced to hire a car after 2 days (easy to do) just to make getting food from the shops and getting to the beach possible. I guess you could have got taxis but that really is pretty inconvenient as there is no rank at the complex.

The price we paid was very reasonable and I wish the owners well. The complex has potential and I am sure it will develop over the coming year. I just think we were slightly misinformed before travelling. The white sand beach that was referred to is a least 1.5 hours walk away! The sea by the complex is all dangerous rocks and not good for swimming!

Several other neagtives during our stay were:

1. Lack of clean towels! They kept taking old towels and not replacing them! In the end 4 of us shared 2 towels for the entire second week, despite several complaints to reception

2. Pool maintenance being carried out during daytime. They drilled some metal bar to reinforce pool edges and left sharp metal swarf on pool-side

3. Pool area only cleaned/swept once during our stay - I stood on broken glass twice!

4. Plumbing is very poor (no U-bends on sink drains) meaning foul smell all the time in bathroom - really bad!!!

Overall: Positive=spacious appartments, cheap, easy-going.

Negative=remote, inconsistency, lack of recreation facililites, no beach nearby

I would recommend it as long as you drive and want a very quite holiday!

by Ant66