Oaklands Hotel

Good

Service: 6.5/10
Cleanliness: 7.5/10
Location: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Oaklands Hotel

Dont Stay Here.... noisy place with arrogant staff

"Don't stay here unless you are at a wedding. This place rocks! Well the whole hotel and lodges shake from the noise from the disco. The management don't bother about the feelings of their guests or future business. Just read half of the reviews and you will see that this is a common problem. Certainly NOT recommended as a good place to stay."

• Holiday details: Jun 2010, Breakfast Included, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Norwich is great, just don't stay at The Oaklands Hotel
  • Good For: , City Breaks
by nrc

Not Good

"Poor experiance. After booking a lodge, we arrived to be told there were non available. So we offered another room. Went to our new room, which was already occupied! Given yet another room, nice man on the desk reduced the rate for the hassel (only good point).

Now we booked a few weeks in advance, so they knew we were arriving with my 1 year old son, so when we arrived back from our friends there was a disco (wedding reception) on. Our room happened to be right above the disco which was at max volume until midnight. I would hope that so notice that this was going to be on, and they knew that there would be the disco was on.

Oh and the room we had the beeding was ripped and worn!

• Holiday details: Apr 2010, Breakfast Included, Booked Independently
  • Advice: Bad experiance
by roses

fantastic stay

"What can I say other than brilliant. I can't believe this little hidden gem. We stayed there for 2 nights, the staff were very accommodating and the food was brilliant! I don't often give a hotel 10/10, but this place deserves it. If you're ever staying in Norwich, I thoroughly recommend staying at the Oaklands Hotel. It's not far from the train station and there's plenty of pubs and restaurants near by. Norwich is a fantastic place. 10/10 all the way."

by zikews

We stayed at the Oakland’s Hotel...

"We stayed at the Oakland’s Hotel for a wedding reception which was good, very disappointed with the poor, tired accommodation.

Our room was very cold with a window that would not close as the stay had been broken After the reception we went to the main bar for coffee to find very loud club type music playing.

On arriving at our rooms this was exceptionally loud and vibrated in the room, this carried on until the early hours. On commenting to the staff at reception the following morning there were no apologies, but were told that this happens every weekend. Nobody seemed bothered that many of us had little sleep. Please be warned!

by C Smith

Overpriced

"We had an overnight at the Oaklands. Fried English Breakfast was grim-swimming in grease. Room was fine but the washbasin had a central tap so difficult to wash and shave without banging your head on tap. Lounge furniture dirty and worn- didn't feel happy sitting down with light coloured trousers on. I felt the motto there should be "Everything is too much trouble""

Lovely Stay

"I wanted to take my Mum to Norwich for a trip to celebrate her Golden Wedding Anniversary. I checked Trip Advisor and decided that I liked the reviews for the Oaklands Hotel. I exchanged a couple of e-mails with the manager wich were responded to promptly.

I booked a lodge room which was lovely with a sunny balcony.

We found the staff to be friendly, effecient and helpful. We had a lovely meal in the restaurant and it was in a good position for visiting the city and surrounding area.

We would highly recommend this hotel and the lodge rooms. Well worth the extra

Well worth a visit!

"My partner treated me to a night away recently and when it turned out to be the city that we live in I was a little disappointed, however he assured me that I would be impressed!

How right he was, I found myself staying in a modern lodge, that was spacious, spotlessly clean, nicely contained and which had wonderful views of the River Yare at Whittlingham.

I would have been happy to just stay in my room, sprawl out on the sofa, turn on the massive plasma screen, whilst enjoying the chocolates and champagne that came with the package that he had booked, however we did venture over to the main hotel to eat and did we eat, the food was really good and there was plenty of it.

The only down side was that my partner had booked the promotion “Passion for Romance” and to his disappointment, after I managed to wade my way through 3 courses in the restaurant, polished off most of the champagne and the chocolates, I was more than happy to climb into bed and fall asleep, until the morning…………… where I indulged in a Full English Breakfast!

Very Unhappy

"Booked the executive room for me and my husband as my birthday treat only to be given a double room as the booking had aparently been taken down wrong, was given no apology for this mistake, but was told there was a double one executive room available but was told it wasn't as nice as the double room and was smaller and it was two single beds pushed together and the bathroom wasn't as nice. We found the double room we stayed in was two beds pushed together anyway, the bathroom floor was dirty and the room seemed to be made out for one as there was only one towel and shampoo, we could not watch the tv as the reception was so bad. We waited a good while in the bar to be served being the only ones there we thought it might be quicker only to give up and go out. We found the reception staff to be uncaring and unsympathetic with no apologies. I would rate this the worst hotel service i have experienced and i've stayed in a few. I would not recomend this hotel to anyone."

Loved The Oaklands

"Hi,

Stayed at the Oakland 12/2/06 until 14/2/06, loved it. The rooms were well decorated, and breakfast was good, the first evening we stayed in the hotel and had dinner, we opted for the Carvery. 2 three course meals cost £10.00. It was nicely cooked and plenty of it.Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was well located for Norwich City Centre, probably about 3 miles away and was easily reached by car or bus, which stopped right outside. There are a number of pubs where you can eat in the evenings.

All in all I would recommend this hotel to people staying in Norwich, the new lodges looked lovely and next time I would try one of those.

by wendyann67

Lovely

"Reception on arrival

We were greeted warmly at reception and asked if we would like to book for dinner and if we required a paper in the mornings, we were escorted directly to our lodge by a pleasant gentlemen from reception. We were shown around are room and all functions were explained to us and we were made to feel very welcome.

9/10 very good

The room

We booked one of the new luxury lodges and it far exceeded our expectations, having stayed at many 5 star hotels in the last year the lodges met all the criteria of a luxury hotel. The romance package was a welcome addition covering all the essentials to ensure a romantic stay. We did miss the use of a fridge and a welcome brochure to advise us of hotel and surrounding area facilities.

9/10 verygood

Bar/Restaurant

The bar and restaurant had a warm and welcoming feel and the baby gherkins on the bar tables was a lovely touch. The service was excellent and the head waiter was very attentive at all times, a true professional and asset to the hotel.

service 10/10 excellent

Food

Unfortunately the food was disappointing, I understand the charge for the food on a DBB basis is minimal but for a foodie like me I would rather pay a little more and receive quality exciting food and freshly made desserts. As a vegetarian I also found the choice minimal. The Rush Cutter across the road offered an exceptional menu at a realistic prices with a hugely varied vegetarian menu. On a positive note the breakfast was fab!!! buffet style english and continental option.

5/10 average

Location

The location of the hotel was excellent, far enough away from the hustle and bustle of the main city but within walking distance of bars, shops and the canal.(You can also walk to the city in about 40 mins) The grounds of the hotel were lovely but do to the harsh winter weather we did not appreciate them or the outdoor pool to the full.

10/10 excellent

Reception at checkout

This was a different experience to our arrival, the receptionist although pleasant was not attentive and did not ask if we had a nice stay which we have found courtesy in most hotels. On returning to our car it would not start so we headed back to reception to ask for some advice about local garages in the area. The receptionist was not interested in our plight and kept her head down organising paper work. I then asked if she had a telephone directory for which she handed to me and carried on with her paperwork. We had to walk to the local supermarket to get assistance as we were not familar with the City.

4/10 poor

Over all I would stay at this hotel again in a flash but on a B&B basis oly. There are 5 pubs and many restuarnts within minutes walk of the hotel.

by vladavere

what luxury !!

"I was sent by my company to Norwich for 5 days and expected to check in to the usua, run of the mill hotel.I had a really pleasent surprise, i got upgraded to one of there lodges for free and it was like going to a luxury villa. An enormous plasma screen, underfloor heating and FREE internet connection.The staff were really friendly and the food great, especially the breakfast. I really reccomend this place"

by patric13