La Margherita Hotel

Good

Room: 5.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for La Margherita Hotel

The good thing about this hotel is...

"The good thing about this hotel is its location - very central. However, don't even consider staying here. On arrival our room was dirty, there was mould on walls and washbasin cracked and leaking, t.v. did not work. heating did not work. The weather was unusually bad and we were freezing. We complained and were moved the next day - without any apology, to a much nicer room but again the heating did not work, even after fixing this it was only very low, we were really cold and had to ask for extra blankets. Every morning we were disturbed by drilling and banging. When we complained at reception we were told the hotel was being refurbished and "this has to be done at some time!" Again there was no apology for the disturbance or our inconvenience.

The breakfast was very poor - processed ham, cheese triangles and orange squash, the same fruit - bruised apples - left on the table every day.

by M Grek

Simple but perfect location

"I agree with most things people have said. The hotel is very dated and very simple but clean. The staff is generally nice, especially one front desk girl and the breakfast guy were amazing. There is nothing luxurious about this hotel, nor romantic. But we picked it because its so close to town and didn't regret it. We rented a car and went to nice beaches all over. The close proximity to the old town is nice because there are so many restaurants there and you can walk around and stop at various places for meals and drinks. It was nice not having to commute back to out hotel after a nice evening in the old town portion. I would recommend a car for anyone staying here since the beach that's in walking distance is not close and is not that nice. For anyone that wants more a resort type of place, this is NOT it. If you plan to spend a lot of time in the room, this is NOT it. It's a great value for the money though if you want to be able to walk to all the shops, restaurants and cafes."

by swinggal55

very healthy plants

"I have stayed several times at the hotel Margherita, when in Alghero. As they say in England,'you get what you pay for.' The hotel is a very ordinary, functional place to stay, with the big attraction that it is the only central hotel, that stays open all year round. Its location is the best thing about it, as well as the excellent service by the staff at breakfast. The overall atmosphere is rather old-fashioned and creepy, with some strange characters working there, but that is all part of the stay. A little bit of background music would help to alleviate the sound of echoing footsteps at breakfast. However, the hotel is clean and an ideal functional base to sleep and to enjoy the rest of Alghero. All the plants growing in the hotel were also healthy and free of harmful pests and diseases."

by A TripAdvisor Member

Central and Functional

"Just stayed for one night (speeding visit!). Hotel was fine - although it does not feel cared for - clean but not loved - 1960s furniture and pretty basic. My room was decent size but basically an empty box! It was clean and everything worked, although the shower covered the bathroom floor with water and the bed was not that comfy. I can't complain about the value for money - it was cheap and it may feel better with a few more guests and sunshine outside. I won't rush back"

by Kingmaker

Good location, adequate hotel - 3 and 1/2 stars!

"We stayed in this hotel for 4 nights from 17-21 Nov 05. The room was a little chilly (plus very thin blankets!) and no bath, but clean and otherwise good for the money. Our view from the balcony was completely obscured by a huge tree directly in front of us, so it might be a good idea to ask for a room on the 3rd or 4th floor.

Our room didn't get cleaned until after 3.30pm however, which was a bit frustrating on the two occasions we returned for a small afternoon nap! (plus no 'Do not Disturb' signs in the room).

The breakfast was fine and service very good. Delicious coffee!

I would recommend this hotel to anyone on a budget who wants to be near the 'Old Town'.

by Lazzer

Everything we needed

"We stayed at the La Margharita for two nights recently. Having read the reviews I wasn't too sure what to expect, but it was lovely & had everything we needed.

Our room was spotlessly clean, plus we could see the sea from our balcony. The bed was perhaps a little firm (but then some people like that), the bathroom towels were large and plentiful, the TV and heating/air con worked fine. Breakfast was ample, better than I'd expected, with juice, cereals, cold meat/cheese, rolls, croissants, jam etc and the usual small packets of biscuity things. Tea & coffee too, of course.

All the staff were helpful & friendly, and whilst the lobby was perhaps a little old-fashioned, I thought the hotel was excellent value at 70 euros a night for bed & breakfast for two.

by nemish

La Margherita - A warm welcome.

"We read the mixed reviews before we went but the Hotel exceeded expectations. O.K., the lobby was a bit dated , especially the valve-radio corner. The staff were all very helpful. The breakfast waiter (Basil Faulty-esque) had a great sense of humour and a heart of gold. Great room on top floor with sea - views and balcony. Sunsets to-die-for! Two minutes from bars and a great late night club 'Poco Loco'. Weather for the last week in October fantastic(25 degrees and blue skies). Sea still warm and empty beaches. What more could you want ! Had a late evening flight home with Ryanair and the Hotel looked after our bags all day and even arranged a taxi for us to the airport. Will definitely return to this hotel."

by A TripAdvisor Member

Accurate Reviews of La Margherita

"My family and I stayed in La Margherita for one week in mid July 2005. Trip Advisor reviews are very accurate. This is a good 'middle-of-the-road' hotel. Very clean, good front desk, good car parking, good air-conditioning, excellent room cleaning and service. The continental breakfast, while adequate, would benefit from more imaginative presentation. There is nothing cooked for breakfast (not even boiled eggs!) - so a variation in cereals, additional fruit and cooked meats would lead to greater customer satisfaction. Waiter service in the breakfast room is outstanding.

We were pleased with the overall product and we would recommend La Margherita as a very satisfactory, 'old style' Italian hotel.

by okiefrommuskogee

Value for money

"This hotel respresents excellent value for money. It has a central old town location and has apparently been in the same ownership for fifty plus years.The proprietor can usually be found on the reception desk and must be at least in his seventies. Yes the communal areas leave a bit to be desired and are in something of a time warp - I personally found it charming - especially what appeared to be an ancient valve? radio in the lounuge near a collectors item TV! The bedroom, however, was fine - I would suggest that you get one with a balcony - albeit overlooking the street. I have read other peoples comments about the breakfast - by Italian standards this was fairly good - I have had far worse in other Italian and French establishments.In summary for 80 Euros per night - double room b & b - don't expect a swish five star palace. La Margerhita is a good old fashioned hotel with character that in my opinion gives value for money."

by backhouseboy

Good

"Just returned from 5 days in this hotel. The other reviews have got this place just right. Its location is excellent, 5 mins out of the old town, you do get a view of the sea with the balcony; but for 5 euros don't expect too much. The rooms are of an acceptable size with a TV and air conditioning. The place is old fashioned, but I found it quaint..and if it was modernised you would have to pay premium prices, which this hotel didnt charge (89 Euro B&B June) The staff are helpful. I would happily return."

by James2006UK

Lovely Hotel

"This hotel was your typical 2 - 3 star hotel in Italy. Yes the rooms are not modern, but I was happy to find them clean with good firm beds, a television, air conditioning and a decent bathroom. The towells were the usual Italian style linen ones, more like tea towells than towells, but you make do. It is in a good location within east walking distance to the old town and marina area. However if you want to be right on the beach this is not the place for you, you will have to take a bus or walk for about 30 minutes to the beach, therefore this is an excellent place to stay in the off season. There is a supermarket across the road and good cafes and shops just around the corner. I found the breakfast adequate and the staff freindly. On arrival I was offered a room with a balcony for an extra 5 euro per night, which I took, but was not charged for the balcony when I checked out!"

by Tripgirl1979