Ambasciatori Hotel

Corso del Popolo 221, Mestre 30172, Italy

Good

Service: 7.5/10
Value: 7.5/10

Enter your dates to find the best prices for Ambasciatori Hotel

Just great

"The hotel & room was spotlessly clean, very big & bright with a table and armchairs and a large bathroom - on the quiet side of the road. The area is not rundown although it is residential with flats and lots of banks everywhere. Next door there is a huge and very good supermarket called PAM and also the hotel Delfino (which doesn't look half as nice as our one). There's a kebab shop opposite which looks a little unloved but the food is delicious and lots of locals frequent and a lovely ice-cream parlour. Lisa the receptionist recommended a local restaurant on Via Roma (turn right out of hotel & 2nd on right) when we arrived at 10pm called Da Carla which served great seafood pasta and salad and THE best tiramisu you will ever have in Venice. 32 Euros for 2 mains, salad, desert, half bottle Valpollicelli Viticoltori & beer. Although ignore the loud techno music played by the chef as the place was very clean & the staff wonderfully attentive and smiley (rare in actual Venice!).

At breakfast were delicious sweet croissants, lovely fruit salad and loads of choice of cereal, English breakfast, teas, coffee, varieties of conserves, bread rolls etc. Fab.

The hotel staff were very chatty, pleasant and genuinely seemed interested in pleasing you and were genuinely surprised at receiving tips. They also had good knowledge of what buses to catch, maps etc. Opposite the hotel Number 4 bus takes 10 mins (literally) to Venice Piazzale Roma and on the same side of the hotel number 4 will take you to the quaint Mestre Square for the best and cheap cappuccino and tea. Here you will also find H&M, department store COIN and a mid-size shopping centre; coffee bars and usual town shops. We aso went round the lovely fresh fruit & fish market.

Number 21 takes you to the airport. Found on opposite side of the hotel again.

At the airport make sure you buy an ACTV ticket for a 3 day pass on all transport in Mestre and Venice. It cost 31 Euros which was great value as we went on Vaparettos (6E each person single journey!) and buses (1.50E single journey) etc. It would have been expensive getting round if it hadn't been for this gem of a ticket. You only need to stamp it once (on your first journey). We kept stamping each time we got on a new trip but got told off eventually by a boat man. Stamp once to validate it and it naturally expires after 3 days (or however long you bought it for). Strangely you don't get asked to prove you've paid for your journey on most occasions but someone told us they'd got fined 30E when they couldn't produce a ticket. Be warned!

You can't use this ticket on a water taxi which are vey expensive.

Gondola's too are dear - 70E for 50mins!!

Make sure you have a guidebook or good map of Venice itself as even we got lost and we had an AA one! Lots of windy roads & not all the alleys are clearly marked. Plus it all does look very similar!

We took a few hour trip to the Lido which was a waste of time. The weather awas chilly but bright but the restaurant we ate at was expensive and the staff inattentive. I popped into the Hotel Boulevard as I was going to book that but it wasn't to my taste. Velour sofas , dark wood and old & tired looking. Glad I didn't book it.

Back to Venice itself. Got see the market early morning as it's fantastic. Much better than Billingsgate & Borough in London. Huge everything and it made you want to be self-catering as you 'shopped' with the locals. Eat at Saracena restaurant next to the Rialto. Expensive but great sun-trap and right next to the canal. Opposite the Rialto Hotel. The food was fantastic. Ate there twice.

Also pop to San Stefano Square and enjoy a couple of beverages in th wide choice of cafes there. Not as expensie as San Marco and a lot quieter but lovely square with church and statue. Eat fruit fondue or crepes here.

Also, try and see an opera or theater production as it's a great way to while away one night as not much to do on the island at night other than drink/eat. We watched La Traviata at the Scuola Grande Di San Theodoro. Amazing. Very intimate & we sat 2 feet from the orchestra. 40E each.

We stayed in Venice for 3 days 3 nights and it was perhaps a little too long unless you have tons of money and patience to see all 170 churches or are interested in glass or lace making (which we weren't).

Utlimately though I would stay in this hotel again - definitely.

(I paid £360 for bed & breakfast for 3 days.)

by Jacks77

Convenience at a Good Price

"My (now) fiancee and I traveled throughout Italy for 9-10 days in May of 2007. Our first stop was Venice but we stayed in Mestre to save some money. It was part of our AAA Travel package that included airfare, 2 nights in Mestre, and 2 nights in Florence for two.

Even with her ability to speak fluent Italian we hit some bumps in the road. The town of Mestre was a little difficult to navigate at first. From the airport we purchased an all-in-one bus ticket. I highly recommend this approach. It was accepted on city buses to/from Venice (15 min) as well as all of the vaporettos. It was warm and humid while we were there so whenever we needed to cool off we'd just hop on the boat and go for a ride.

However, we were dropped off at the train station and I tried (as best I could) to find the hotel. Take my advise: don't depend on maps provided by any of the hotels - google/mapquest it!

The hotel was adequate; there was nothing outstanding and nothing truly dissatisfying. The concierge and hotel employees were very friendly and helpful. Remeber: you don't go to Venice for the hotels.

by LaTooch

Great Hotel with Exceptional staff!

"My husband, sister and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in August. We had two double rooms which were located beside each other. The rooms were very clean, had a double wardrobe, a security safe, a/c, spotless bathrooms (my sisters room only had a shower, no bath, but that was fine) and were a good size. I was going to take some photos of the room etc but then I realised they were exactly how they look on their website! The hotel on a whole was very nice, the staff were amazing! They couldn't have been nicer!

When we arrived we were checked in by Dania (she was lovely) and a porter carried our bags to our rooms whilst we got the lift. There is a great reception area with sofas and a bar which is a great meeting spot. The breakfast was also great. A really good selection and again the staff were very helpful. This hotel is situated on the mainland which wasn't a problem. There is a bus stop right across the street which takes you to Place Roma in around 10 minutes, and it costs one euro, although we got a 72 hour pass for the transport which covered the buses and vaporetto. You can get one of these at the airport but you can also pick them up at other places. It cost 30 euro so it made sense for us to buy these rather than pay as you go, plus you can use it on the bus to get into Venice from the airport. Just make sure you get on the right bus company! We got on an AVTO bus instead of an ACTV bus and the conductor threw us off the bus on a motorway! Luckily there was an ACTV bus stop close by. The buses can get quite busy coming back to Mestre in the evenings so don't assume you will always get a seat!

Venice itself is absolutely beautiful! I loved everything about it...and it wan't smelly at all, as some people had told me! In fact the water looked very clean. You can spend hours wandering through the narrow streets and St Mark's Sq is breathtaking. For anyone interested in art the Peggy Guggenheim makes a pleasant escape if it all gets too much. There is a lovely little veranda overlooking the grand canal where drinks and lunch is served. There is a 10 euro charge into the gallery. If you fancy a drink there are lots of lovely cafes and for Bellini's try Harry's Bar where you will pay 15 euro compared to 25 euro plus a hefty service charge at St Marks Sq. At the Rialto bridge there is a good market which sells everthing from fruit to pashmina's. We got around using the vaporetto's, a public transport boat, which was very convenient with stops at all the main attractions.

back to the hotel......We had a meal in the hotel restaurant on our last night there and it was excellent. There was silver service and again the staff were a delight, as was the food! And very reasonble...much cheaper than mainland Venice. We all had steak with vegetables etc, half bottle of wine each, coffee and belini's and it came to 120 euro! It was the best meal we had our whole holiday! There is also a great gelateria across the street..the best gelato we had also, plus a lot more for your money.

Mestre on the whole is quite a nice place, but there isn't a lot to do. There is a lovely little piazza with some nice cafes but don't go there if you want an evening meal as they only serve drinks and ice cream. We went to the market on a Thursday, but to be perfectly honest there was nothing there that you couldn't buy back home, although they did have a great selection of italian cheeses and meats if you wanted to pick up something to eat.

Staying in Mestre was ideal for a trip to venice and I would definitely stay in the Ambasciatori again. It was a really good hotel and, as i have already mentioned, the staff really do go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one.

by Deborah4

Great Hotel, Excellent Staff

"After a long motorcycle journey I couldn't have chosen a nicer place.

The hotel staff were polite and courteous but above all friendly from

the start. There was secure underground parking for my bike (5 Euros a day - 10 for cars incidentally). My very heavy luggage was cheerfully taken by the porter to a very acceptable room more than adequate for single occupancy. The bathroom was huge and very nicely appointed. The restaurant was very pleasant, well staffed and with a good quality menu. Breakfast was included in the price and was excellent. The bus direct to Venice stops outside the hotel and it is only a short journey away. I will certainly be returning again, next time with the family.

by UKBeemer

We stayed in the Hotel Ambasciatori...

"We stayed in the Hotel Ambasciatori in Mestre, Venice for 4 nights in May.

The hotel was fine, clean, good air-con in rooms, quiet at night. The breakfast was very good and service was also good.

The location of the hotel was poor though because it was on a street where there were no restaurants or bars. So if you came back from Venice after 8 p.m. there was nothing to do, Mestre town is drab and dirty with little attractions so don’t waste any time exploring it.

On the positive there was a supermarket beside the hotel which was very cheap for everything. There was a bus stop right outside the hotel which got you to Venice in 10 mins.

by BJ Guerin

A nice stay

"My wife and I stayed two nights here with a coach tour group. The hotel is very nice and is right on the main drag to the islands. The breakfast is pretty standard fare, but a good selection.

The neighborhood is busy, realatively clean, and there is a convenient bancomat (ATM) on the corner by the hotel. The shops in the neighborhood are upscale. If you get a little attitude, don't feel offended if they are a little curt. This area gets a lot of tourists and by the time we went, the season was winding down, so I think they were just exhausted.

by N9EAX

Was not happy

"I was not happy with this hotel. Our room was a corner room and had a window overlooking the side street. It was unusually warm when we visited on Nov. 1. There was no air conditioning and when I complained how hot the room was, they told me to open the window, which didn't matter, because we had no ventilation. The noise from the street was awful (with the window open). The room and bathroom were so small we could hardly move about. I would never recommend this hotel. It would be worthwhile to pay a little more and get something decent. We were on a Globus Tour and apparently they book these tiny rooms at group prices."

by Lorre

Very nice, good location

"My roommates and I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. The hotel was an easy bus ride from Venice and the accomodations were very nice. The room was comfortable and clean and the bathroom was the best we found in Italy. You could actually take a shower and not just a bath as we discovered most Europeans are accustomed. They also had a really good breakfast the next day which helped fuel our long days of siteseeing!

I would definately recommend this hotel.

by alb8

Good hotel

"We stayed in this hotel for three nights early October 04. It is on Mestre which on the bus from the port is about 5-10 mins. You can get a three day pass in the shop across the road, this will cover the boats and buses. So get this before you start. It costs around €22.00 and it is really good value. A single trip on a boat could cost you €5.00. The hotel itself was nice. It has a restaurant, bar and really helpful reception staff. They gave us loads of information and helped us whenever they could. The rooms were an average size and so were the bathrooms. There were mini bars and safes in the rooms. The cost of hotel rooms in Venice are very expensive so this was perfect. We did not want to travel alot while in Venice, we wanted a hotel that was near. I would recommend this hotel and Venice is fabulous. Gondola trips a bit scary and cost around €80.00."

by Ireland3

A bed and four walls.

"We stayed at the Hotel Ambasciatori on May 28 and 29, 2004. The previous review is correct as to convenient location and nearby supermarket. The room was extremely small. My wife and I had to get out of each others way if we wanted to move. The toilet did not work properly when we checked in, but it was repaired promptly when we called it to managements attention. If you can be satisfied with a bed and four walls and are not claustrophobic, you will be happy."

by Toofaraway

Nice hotel, super-easy access to venice

"We stayed at this hotel in early April 04 while on a group tour of Italy. Mestre is a main-land residental neighborhood with easy bus access to down-town Venice. Property is literally next to a bus-stop, and within 3 easy stops (10-15 min), you are at the Piazzalle Roma in venice (Gondola stop, shopping...and from here...start your exploration of Venice!). Two doors down from the ambasciatore, there is a large supermarket (stock up on their great selection of cheeses, wines, etc, at WONDERFUL prices). Should you not wish to venture in to Venice on a particular day, there are a few shops along this main street, with bar/pizzerias and caffes within walking distance. Our room had a full-size tub & shower, single marble vanity and a towel warmer. (great for drying our hand-washables!). Only small quirk about this place were the SLOW elevators. Most times, we would just take the stairs. All in all, a comfortable suburban-Venice hotel."

by weloveaz